daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 15th, 2015, 05:45 AM   #3421
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

I agree. If A-720 actually connected to A-25 as it was originally intended, then the demolition of the Bonaventure would bother me. As it stands right now, it doesn't bother me that there will be a few traffic signals between the 10 and the Ville-Marie.

On an aside, I wish there was something that could be done with the A-20 designation through Montreal. I recognize that the Ville Marie is never going to get completed east of where it currently terminates, but it would be nice if A-20 didn't follow such a convoluted routing through the city.

Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2015, 06:04 AM   #3422
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

There is a "20 Ouest" direction sign on de Maisonneuve Blvd and St Mathieu St in downtown Montreal pointing towards the Fort St onramp of the westbound Ville-Marie 720. I wonder how long it has been there, I know it's been there at least 10 years... I would think - before the eastern side was cancelled by the PQ in 1977, but then - the direction tab is "Ouest" and not "Ouest / West" as it was previous to Bill 101... wouldn't be surprised if the City of Montreal has just been replacing the sign when in poor shape continually with what was there before, regardless of what it is meaning to say...

The Notre-Dame St section after the end of the expressway and the short "Ville-Marie Blvd." is really bad in the rush hours, it barely moves. It is strange as it is one of the only roads in the entire Montreal region that has reasonably timed traffic signals. It is a weird thing in the world that the traffic is terrible, but then, as you approach downtown, it suddenly goes from dead stop to 100 - 120 km/h freedom into the tunnel and that straight across the downtown core

I actually think that the freeway will eventually be built along the original plans. 15 years ago there was a lot of talk of building the full freeway (ironically, under a PQ government) There was a lot of talk about 10 years ago of some kind of "hybrid" (basically - widening Notre-Dame St and a diamond interchange at Pie-IX Boulevard) but it died quickly as anti-car type didn't like and it wasn't a viable solution. But all the land is waiting for it, and the Port of Montreal / trucker's association are consistently pushing for it. It's not something like the Gardiner through Scarborough to meet Kingston Rd / 2A where there are land issues / costs and not much vocal people wanting it.

But, the MTQ a few years ago changed all the signs along the south-shore Hwy 20 / 132 (430) from the original "1, 2 3" to the Hwy 20 ones (80's etc) so maybe not...

Last edited by Kanadzie; August 15th, 2015 at 06:16 AM.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2015, 02:58 PM   #3423
Ukraine

Likes (Received): 505

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Twice in the past two years I have found the opportunity to be up in the Thunder Bay region of Ontario. I have taken these opportunities to take some photos of the recently twinned Trans-Canada Highway between Thunder Bay and Pass Lake. Highway 11/17 was widened to four lanes over this ~30km stretch over the past few years and was fully opened late last fall. I have placed some small photos below and have included a link to a webpage that I have authored with more photos and larger versions of the photos that appear below:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_1...p5b_images.htm
very nice pictures! I miss driving that stretch of the road and damn it has changed!!
Old August 15th, 2015, 08:34 PM   #3424
chuckw2010

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf View Post
Many of the passes used by the Interstate Highways aren't steep, thus the need for tunnels is greatly reduced. Aside from the construction of I 70 through Glenwood Canyon in the 70s and the Boston Artery Tunnel Project in the late 90s/ early 2000s there were no major projects. The Eisenhower Tunnel was one of the few that were required because of mountainous terrain.

Fast forward to today. There's only two significant projects. The first, is in California on Hwy 101. This twin tube tunnel will bypass the notorious Devils Slide area. The initial plan, was to simply look at upgrading the existing highway, but it was found that that would have very little, if any benefit. The tunnel, though expensive to build, will result in long term savings.

The second, is the replacement of Seattle's Alaska Way Viaduct. Though not on a major highway, this project is expected to improve traffic flow through Seattle, as well as getting rid of a structure that is literally, a hairs breadth away from being condemned.
i read they a re finally getting the tunnel boring machine underway after a 2 year stoppage.
chuckw2010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2015, 08:56 PM   #3425
chuckw2010

Likes (Received): 4

canada really needs to improve the highway thru the rockie mountains from banff onward. too narrow and dangerous.
chuckw2010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2015, 01:16 AM   #3426
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

There is a lot of work already underway for that, buts its 300+km of highway through a very rocky area.. to properly upgrade it will take billions of dollars. It takes time with costs like that.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2015, 08:01 AM   #3427
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

Some of the driving distances in Northern Ontario must be mind numbing considering how empty that area is.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2015, 06:50 PM   #3428
Kanadzie

I've done it a few times. It isn't really so bad except for the speed limit of 90 km/h / 56 mph and aggressive police enforcement, especially on some of the new twinned sections. You can go 100-110 and be relatively safe, but that's still really hard for me. There are a lot of curves, hills, lakes, trees and some spectacular scenery as it climbs up and down around the lakes, breaking up a lot of monotony.
Old August 16th, 2015, 07:53 PM   #3429
sonysnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
Some of the driving distances in Northern Ontario must be mind numbing considering how empty that area is.
The drive along Hwy 17 is terrible, as it is at least fairly scenic. Hwy 11 on the other hand is mind numbingly boring, particularly between Longlac and Cochrane.
Old August 17th, 2015, 09:36 PM   #3430
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Highway 63, Alberta

Portion of Highway 63 set to open Monday

The highway from Edmonton to Fort McMurray will be closed for a short time Monday as crews get set to open a portion of the newly twinned road.

Officials said the section of Highway 63 from the 11 kilometre mark to the 63 kilometre mark will be opening however delays should be expected to begin at 11 a.m.
Full report: http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/portion-o...nday-1.2519608

Highway 63 is the road from Edmonton to Fort McMurray.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2015, 03:24 PM   #3431
sonysnob

A few new photos taken of the construction along the Highway 407 corridor in Durham Region. Construction is moving along well, but I am still not certain if they can finish the highway by the start of winter this year:

View of the then un-opened Brock Road interchange from the future Highway 407 overpass. (The Brock Road interchange opened the day after these photos were taken).

View looking easterly approaching the Sideline 14 overpass.

Easterly view from the Sideline 14 overpass

Not everyone is excited about the extension of the 407.

View of the Lake Ridge Road overpass with the temporary Lake Ridge Road diversion operated adjacent to the new overpass

This steel structure will carry the ramp from Hwy 412 north to Hwy 407 west.

View looking westerly approaching the Hwy 12 overpass. Paving operations had just commenced in this area when this photo was taken.

Easterly view approaching the Simcoe Street overpass.

Additional view of the Simcoe Street overpass from the future southbound to eastbound loop ramp.

For the full set, and full resolution versions of the above photos, click here:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_4...ages.htm#Aug15
Old August 24th, 2015, 05:05 PM   #3432
Kanadzie

Earlier this year I was travelling with a coworker and we hit 401 traffic... so I said, hey, let's take the 407... where does it start... oh... Brock Road... went up Brock Road in Whitby, crossed the 407 construction site... we are here, but the highway isn't ready for us yet !
Old August 24th, 2015, 05:47 PM   #3433
ChrisZwolle
Road user

CatchNET system

I found this on the interwebs. A catch net to stop runaway trucks on steep inclines. They are in use on Highway 11 in North Bay, Ontario, and several locations in Wyoming.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Blackraven liked this post
Old August 24th, 2015, 06:04 PM   #3434
Kanadzie

looks kind of scary... are the bypassed trucks deliberately avoided the dangerous looking thing and died? yikes...
maybe they need a big sign "hit the fences!"
Old September 1st, 2015, 05:50 AM   #3435
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

photo of mine from July showing Highway 35 as it winds through the lakes of Haliburton and Muskoka.. This is taken from the Dorset Fire Tower, which was constructed in the 1950's to keep watch for forest fires. It has since been converted into a popular tourist attraction, especially in the fall when the leaves begin to turn colour.

The town in the photo is Dorset, Ontario, and the bridge is currently being rebuilt. The modern Highway 35 runs to the left bypassing the town, while the old 35 runs through the town over a 90 year old single lane bridge.

Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2015, 10:25 PM   #3436
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Perimeter Highway, Winnipeg

PROVINCE ANNOUNCES CONSTRUCTION BEGINS ON NEW INTERCHANGE AT INTERSECTION OF PTH 59 AND PTH 101

Construction is underway on a new, state-of-the-art interchange at the intersection of PTH 59 and PTH 101, which will increase safety for motorists, greatly improve traffic flow and help ensure Manitoba’s key infrastructure continues to support its growing economy, Premier Greg Selinger announced today.

The $204-million contract was awarded to Flatiron Construction Canada Ltd. after a competitive bidding process and it is expected the project will create 2,320 jobs and be completed by the fall of 2018, Premier Selinger said.
Full press release: http://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.htm...ve=&item=35950

Interchange design:

Present-day interchange:
Old September 4th, 2015, 12:06 AM   #3437
Kanadzie

definitely the weirdest interchange in the country.
I always wondered why they didn't finish paving that loop to let the left turn go over the overpass instead of the double left turn lane. The movement is like 90% complete but then, no.
Old September 4th, 2015, 02:14 PM   #3438
ChrisZwolle
Road user

If you look closely:
Old September 4th, 2015, 03:06 PM   #3439
sonysnob

^ I could be mistaken, but I think the loop from north-59 to west-101 was in service until the northeast leg of Hwy 101 was completed. For several years, the perimeter highway operated only as a three quarter loop, without a completed highway between PTH-59 and TCH-1.
Old September 4th, 2015, 08:00 PM   #3440
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A segment of upgraded Highway 69 in Ontario will open to traffic next week, from Alban to Highway 637.

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/regions/o...route-69.shtml

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto