daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 8th, 2015, 06:00 AM   #3601
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

there is surely enough space on the present paved surface of the Halton QEW for 5 general lanes in each direction

The single-lane nature of the HOV is important to note though, like you allude to Haljackey, it sucks. Frequently when I've used the lanes I've had to exit out and pass on the right and then get back in.

I give up on MTO though, probably better to try and get Halton Region to make another bridge over Bronte for Upper Middle or Wyecroft and improve the efficiency of the local road network (seeing how overtaxed the Burloak interchange is at night Upper Middle is probably very necessary)

Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2015, 10:55 AM   #3602
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19130

Heading from Vancouver to the US border:

DSC00997
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC00999
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC01001
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC01002
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC01003
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC01004
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

We chose "Peace Arch"

DSC01005
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC01007
by Geogregor*, on Flickr
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 03:38 PM   #3603
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Carpooling has been declining in North America (and Europe) since the 1980s. Constructing a large network of HOV lanes is constructing against the trend. Many carpool lanes are underutilized, which is also causing the new trend of selling the spare capacity to solo motorists. It improves throughput without having to build additional capacity.

I think tolled express lanes should feature two lanes in each direction if reasonably possible. It's much more value for money than being stuck behind the next vehicle. Tolling itself could pay for the additional lane. For example some of the recent HOT lane projects in the U.S. included the conversion of a single HOV lane into two new tolled express lanes.

But a fast-growing area like the GTA needs more than just converting HOV lanes to tolled lanes. The population projections for the area means that there will be hundreds of thousands of new trips, which means you do need some traditional expansion projects, especially in the periphery.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 03:42 PM   #3604
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
I think there's a lot of truth to this statement. Just because a highway is busy doesn't mean there should be HOV/HOT lanes on it.

I think they work best on 'commuter' highways, like the 404. Getting to work from home and vice versa is it's main goal. There isn't really a major destination or trunk route it connects to.

The QEW is a major trade and tourist corridor, much like the 401. While used by commuters, a good chunk of traffic on it is heading to a destination other than work or another major highway. These longer distance drivers won't benefit much from short HOV/HOT lanes (at least compared to overall drive), and trucks can't even use them! In this case traffic might flow better with unrestricted lanes.

I'm hoping these HOT lanes will come with a hefty fee to keep them operating at or close to their current efficiency. Maybe something comparable to the 407 ETR?

Additionally, with all the revenue that could come out of the project, maybe future the HOT lanes will also be built with a passing lane. Some places in the USA have this, but I doubt it will be done here due to cost/constrictions. 2 lanes in each direction will be a much more attractive design to draw in 'customers' using the general lanes. You're marketing to the rich now, not carpoolers looking to save time and money.
So far, all of the HOV and future HOT lanes that have been constructed in Ontario have been fit into existing infrastructure on the provincial highway network. For everything that has been constructed so far, adding an additional HOV/T lane would mean reducing the number of general purpose lanes. Obviously there would be consequences to doing something like that.

In the future there may be merit to adding additional multi-lane HOT or Express lanes to certain corridors, though the 407 already serves a similar purpose on a number of corridors. Certainly if they were to add lanes to the 401 through Etobicoke and North York, a tolled express lane system similar to the LBJ Freeway in Dallas could be a concept. Though, while a western terminus of such a system at the 427 would be an obvious starting point, I'm not sure that the location for the eastern terminus of such a facility would be nearly as obvious.
Old December 9th, 2015, 04:13 AM   #3605
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Some new photos related to the 412 interchange:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_4...p11_images.htm

LADEN liked this post
sonysnob está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2015, 09:17 PM   #3606
ChrisZwolle
Road user

PTH-75, Manitoba

MANITOBA GOVERNMENT DEVELOPING PLANS FOR ST. NORBERT BYPASS

The Manitoba government continues to modernize the Perimeter Highway and the capital region transportation system by developing plans for a new St. Norbert Bypass, Infrastructure and Transportation Minster Steve Ashton announced today.

This project will support Centerport Canada and all of the other trucking routes that move from the Perimeter Highway to PTH 75 and the U.S. border, the minister added.

The province is now working on plans to construct new interchanges on the Perimeter Highway, the minister said. While this is underway, the province will consult with the public and prepare functional designs of the St. Norbert bypass. This will be followed by land acquisition to prepare for the construction stage.

“The bypass project will be staged to connect with the new interchange at Waverley/Kenaston, similar to the staging for Centreport Canada Way and the planned Headingley bypass connection,” said Minister Ashton.
Full press release: http://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.htm...ve=&item=37012

PTH-75 (Provincial Trunk Highway 75) is the main four-lane highway from Winnipeg to the U.S., where it connects to I-29 at Pembina, North Dakota. The bypass will be located on the south side of Winnipeg, bypassing St. Norbert to the west. The bypass is probably around 5 - 6 kilometers long.
Old December 12th, 2015, 05:04 PM   #3607
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Montréal

They built a new bridge to Nun's Island (Île des Sœurs) in Montréal. I'm not sure what the purpose is...

edit: it seems to be a way to eliminate a traffic light on westbound A15 for a reversible bus lane. The new bridge has a detached bus lane.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; December 12th, 2015 at 05:11 PM.
Old December 12th, 2015, 06:42 PM   #3608
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

its temporary bridge from my understanding, meant to be used for only 5-10 years until the full Champlain Bridge program is finished and the original bridge is rebuilt.

devo liked this post
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2015, 07:17 PM   #3609
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by trece verde View Post
Not actually the start of the highway; Mile 0 is in Victoria, and there's a chunk of it running from there to Nanaimo. Exit 0 is just the start of this chunk of freeway - exits are numbered along the Trans-Canada from Horseshoe Bay to Hope, and then follow the Coquihalla Highway up to Kamloops where it (and the exit numbering) rejoins the Trans-Canada.
I was about to say...
But nice pix Geogregor!

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2015, 07:18 PM   #3610
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Some new photos related to the 412 interchange:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_4...p11_images.htm
What is this "412" of which you speak?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2015, 07:26 PM   #3611
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I was about to say...
But nice pix Geogregor!
Yeah, forgot about Victoria and the Vancouver Island bit of TCH.

Next time when I come to this neck of the woods I'll try to get there
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2015, 08:14 PM   #3612
NFZANMNIM

Likes (Received): 819

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
What is this "412" of which you speak?
It's one of the two new N-S Highways in Durham Region, along with 418.

Penn's Woods liked this post
NFZANMNIM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2015, 05:28 AM   #3613
Kanadzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
its temporary bridge from my understanding, meant to be used for only 5-10 years until the full Champlain Bridge program is finished and the original bridge is rebuilt.
that's right it is only temporary causeway.
I'm not exactly sure why made this way. The Nun's Island Bridge is in terrible shape and needs replacement, but it's a pretty tiny glorified culvert more than anything. The new design does get rid of the morning rush hour traffic light on northbound A-15 at least
Old December 15th, 2015, 05:24 AM   #3614
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Question 1: I was surprised to discover that there are only two lanes on each of the Thousand Island Bridge's main spans, which link I-81 on the US side with the 137 to the 401 on the Canadian side.

Those bridges date to 1939, and the route appears to be a major truck route. Are there any plans to bypass the old spans (perhaps downgrading them to a scenic parkway) with a new major crossing?

Question 2: What's the current status of the plans to complete A-35 in Québec? It's a strange freeway gap on the main route from Boston to Montréal...
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 06:01 AM   #3615
Kanadzie

I don't think there is any plan for expansion of the bridge. The traffic isn't so bad and the real bottleneck is the customs inspection anyway.

They'd do a lot better to twin the (3-lane for now) Peace Bridge between QEW at Fort Erie and I-190 or even just do something, anything to improve throughput at the border in the peak times (e.g. long weekends in summer). A few extra booths would cost less and probably save a lot more time than an extra lane...
Old December 17th, 2015, 07:12 AM   #3616
NFZANMNIM

Longterm Freeway upgrade plans in Ft. MacLeod and Lethbridge

Old December 17th, 2015, 03:45 PM   #3617
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

The GTA West highway study has been put on hold by the Province. over the last while MTO has been planning a bypass around Brampton, running from the 401/407 interchange to the 400. This environmental assessment was already in advanced stages, but has been put on hold as the province is currently reviewing land use planning policies for the GTA and wants to make sure the highway can fit into those plans properly, or if it should even be constructed.

Last edited by Innsertnamehere; December 18th, 2015 at 04:01 AM.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2015, 01:32 AM   #3618
Kanadzie

Hopefully they come up with something... traffic in the West GTA is insane and only worsening
But land-use review isn't necessarily bad... with the greenbelt the development (since there is still massive influx of population and homebuilding) is happening in a really screwy way, and the value of building land is far too high due to the artificial scarity.
Old December 18th, 2015, 05:03 AM   #3619
NFZANMNIM

the values are high, but in terms of limiting land development and densifying the sprawl, it's been relatively successful in Northern GTA. Maybe in order to combat the "artificial scarcity" in those parts and have more affordable housing available, they could consider developing mid-rise condos along major arterials.
Old December 18th, 2015, 05:49 AM   #3620
Kanadzie

They are building a lot of "dense" things, mid-rises, townhomes, etc etc, and you're right that it is essentially limiting the sprawl, or pushing it out in strange places on the other side of the greenbelt (like Orangeville (!) or far up the Hamilton mountain)

I think there is a problem though with meeting the desires of the people though... who like detached homes (as clearly evidenced by the pricing delta between them and various other housing types)

I mean half a million in Brampton (!) might get you some cramped dilapidated turd with a leaky roof and a single garage now... it's hurting the people

Of course I just went through it so hopefully it keeps for a while so I can get an extra 100k$ on my house but still...

There's even the weird effects of a lot of the newer neighborhoods, with single-car driveways, especially with lots of townhomes, but being inhabited by families having 2-3 cars, (or, the common "new family" with like 10 people and their cars...) so the street is parked up, but the street itself is made narrow without the expectation of people parking on it, and barely a car length between driveways. Trying to navigate these kind of streets with an oncoming car is something needlessly special... the urban planning isn't congruent with the lifestyle of the residents.

NFZANMNIM liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto