daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 3rd, 2016, 07:12 PM   #3701
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.c...struction-leal

Construction has begun on Phase 2 of the 407 Extension. A small section is supposed to open in 2017, with the rest opening in 2020. The highway will run from the Terminus of the now nearly complete phase 1 at Harmony Road to Highway 35/115, and will feature another 10km connector between the 407 and the 401, which will be signed as Highway 418.

ChrisZwolle, geogregor, MichiH, keokiracer liked this post
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 4th, 2016, 02:52 AM   #3702
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Some new aerials from the 401 extension in Windsor:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hgparkway/

My Simcity Stuff

8166UY, mw123, Luki_SL, isaidso, EU-Europa liked this post
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2016, 03:08 AM   #3703
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

why so many apparently useless "tunnels" with grass on top?
Old February 4th, 2016, 08:40 AM   #3704
Taha

Likes (Received): 13

Ontario has the ugliest road signs ever.

Kanadzie liked this post
Taha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2016, 04:37 PM   #3705
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
why so many apparently useless "tunnels" with grass on top?
To bribe critical politicians into approving the project. They do this extensively in the Netherlands. Politicians won't approve a highway proposal unless they spend tens or even hundreds of millions on (legally speaking) unnecessary mitigation features.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

geogregor, Kanadzie, Usman ali liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2016, 07:52 PM   #3706
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Coming from the east, I wonder if it will be cheaper to take the 35/115 to reach the 407 compared to the 418.

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 12:38 AM   #3707
NFZANMNIM

Likes (Received): 819

technically, you'd be on toll roads for a shorter distance taking the 418, because you'd still have to drive on the 407 parallel to 401 when taking 115.
That's all assuming that both roads get an equal toll rating per km

Another question, Are there any plans to upgrade 115 to peterborough to 415 or something?
NFZANMNIM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 01:29 AM   #3708
Kanadzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
To bribe critical politicians into approving the project. They do this extensively in the Netherlands. Politicians won't approve a highway proposal unless they spend tens or even hundreds of millions on (legally speaking) unnecessary mitigation features.
It so strange though... Windsor politicians were pushing for 401 for decades because they hated the original situation on surface streets...
Old February 5th, 2016, 02:42 AM   #3709
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFZANMNIM View Post
technically, you'd be on toll roads for a shorter distance taking the 418, because you'd still have to drive on the 407 parallel to 401 when taking 115.
That's all assuming that both roads get an equal toll rating per km

Another question, Are there any plans to upgrade 115 to peterborough to 415 or something?
115 is up to freeway standards, though doesn't have paved shoulders.

its the 35/115 stretch that is a RIRO and needs upgrading. And no, there are no plans to upgrade it. RIROs ultimately work very well until you hit high traffic levels. 35/115 has an AADT of around 20,000, so it is far away from reaching that point.

MTO is planning to upgrade hwy 11 which is the other RIRO in the province, but that is pushing 50,000 AADT and faces real operational challenges.
Old February 5th, 2016, 02:58 AM   #3710
Kanadzie

I wonder if in 50 years we might see Hwy 407 just go right up Hwy 115 and straight into the existing Hwy 7 freeway to the 417 at Carleton Place?

Ontario only seems really late to coming around to paved shoulders... I don't think even 401 has them, in the late 1960's sections in Eastern Ontario (w/wide grassy median)
Old February 5th, 2016, 04:31 AM   #3711
NFZANMNIM

also there are a couple of RIROs on Highway 400, and the right lane doesnt have the height requirement for most trucks due to the old arch bridges
Old February 5th, 2016, 04:41 AM   #3712
Kanadzie

That reminds me of those old overpasses on Autoroute 15 on the north shore of Montreal (the original overpasses from 1959)

The right lane always had chunks of concrete missing and these big yellow/black striped signs saying... clearance on the right less than the middle... and the signs themselves had chunks missing

After de la Concorde overpass (different style) collapsed in '06 they replaced some of the sketchiest of those overpasses, but there's still another half-dozen out there...

The problem must have evidenced itself immediately after opening as the overpasses from early 1960's all had straight clearance over the lanes...
Old February 5th, 2016, 06:28 AM   #3713
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

400 is in the process of being upgraded as we speak. They replaced most of the crappy steel median barrier with a concrete jersey barrier last summer, and will be replacing a lot of the substandard bridges in the next year or two. The Canal Road RIRO will be eliminated soon too from my understanding once the 5th line interchange is built.
Old February 5th, 2016, 07:38 AM   #3714
NFZANMNIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taha View Post
Ontario has the ugliest road signs ever.
LOL why the hate?
Although there is something I don't understand in Ontario. Why are the collector signs blue and express signs green? I think it would make more sense the other way, blue express, green collector, and in general they can even go for blue on 400 series highways. imo, the shade of blue used in Ontario would attract more attention from a drowsy pair of eyes in the middle of the dark.
Old February 5th, 2016, 07:05 PM   #3715
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

To make it even more confusing, MTO uses blue signs to differentiate toll roads. All of the 407's signs are blue.
Old February 5th, 2016, 09:40 PM   #3716
NFZANMNIM

Quebec used to have Blue for all their autoroutes
(which makes sense as they chose green for their principal non-autoroute shield background colour and blue (+red) for the autoroute shield)
The signs look so Scandinavian...

Taha liked this post
Old February 6th, 2016, 12:09 AM   #3717
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

About the 400, the Canal Road interchange isn't going to be closed once the interchange with BWG 5 has opened. I too had though that this was going to be the case, but the Canal Road interchange is going to be maintained in perpetuity. It will be reconfigured and modernized in the future, presumably as part of a future highway widening project.

I would expect to see a contract called either this year or next for work to replace the existing Lloydtown-Aurora Road interchange similar to the work that is underway at Hwy 9. Once that's done, or at least substantially underway, a final grading contract will be called to widen the remainder of the highway northerly from Major Mackeznie up to Highway 9. Last I heard (which was a couple of years ago), the MTO was planning on delivering the widened highway by the early 2020s. I don't know what the schedule will be for work beyond Hwy 9 other than to say, it will come later.

I expect a contract to be called either this year or next year for the replacement of the current boxbeam median barrier northerly from Innisfil Beach Road up to Mapleview Road. I am expecting a similar project to what was done from Canal Road northerly and that the 400 will be resurfaced as part of the project. Resurfacing is also planned on the 400 through Toronto and Vaughan in the next few years.

This winter, a contract was called to replace and rehabilitate the Tiffin and Barrie-Collingwood Railway underpasses in Barrie. This work will include widening the highway's footprint in the vicinity of the underpasses in order to simplify traffic staging. As far as I know, there are currently no plans to replace the steel beam median barrier through Barrie. Such work will likely have to wait until the final cross-section is known through Barrie, particularly since not all widening may be about the centreline, and several curves will be adjusted.

Kanadzie liked this post
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2016, 01:23 AM   #3718
Kanadzie

The blue on Autoroutes in Quebec was for toll roads only
Even something like A-13 had green signs in Montreal (no toll) and blue signs in Laval (toll). So basically like 407.

However current toll freeways in Quebec (well, toll bridges on A-25 and A-30) have only standard signs in green.

I think the Ontario sign uglyness is the sharp edges and weird arrow, but especially the sharp edges. I don't know why but it just hits hard. Mind you, other provinces usually have really horrible overhead signs (e.g. SK or MB), but maybe it just lack of experience to know how to make one.

Taha, Penn's Woods liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2016, 06:48 PM   #3719
Burloak

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
the idea behind the new bridge was that it would be a dual carriageway, and if one bridge failed, the other would still be there.. But they have only built one of the new bridges so far.. lol.

Building a new highway a few hundred km to the north would be literally pointless. What may be possible is a small connector road between Highway 11 and 585 north of Polly lake.. it would be about 8km of new road, a much smaller bridge, and about a 40km detour in case of an emergency closure. Could probably do it for $30 million or so.
If the crossing point near Cameron Falls is used. There is a single lane Bridge across the Nipigon River which appears to be about 70m span, very narrow single lane, and probably owned by Hydro. I can't tell from Google exactly what type of bridge that is. This bridge would have to be replaced. Also, about a kilometre south on hwy 585, there is a single lane Bailey Bridge (probably Mabey if you wan't to get technical). This may require also replacement.

Another option is a crossing about 4km to the south. The river necks down a bit and an 80m span bridge (with 50m end spans) would work. The road required would be about 10 to 15km - depending on the exact route that is taken. That area is hilly, so a direct bee line won't work. All routes would require a medium sized bridge (40m long?) over Cash Creek (near Polly Lake).

I am a big fan of dams and waterfalls and never knew of this area (north-west of Nipigon) before - even though I have been through Nipigon a dozen times or more. This scenic tourist loop would add to the tourist value of the area.
Burloak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2016, 07:39 PM   #3720
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

There is also the old CNR bridge over the Nipigon River Bridge south of Cameron Falls. The tracks were only lifted a few years ago, so the bridge might still have some usable life left to it. (Though maybe not, I have to suspect that aging bridges were one of things that led to the line being abandoned). If so, that could potentially be converted to a single lane alternative crossing to the Trans-Canada Highway bridge as a cost-effective second crossing.

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto