daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 11th, 2016, 09:56 PM   #3721
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

Highway 97 north of Kelowna, British Columbia.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, verreme, SKLAVENITIS, makaveli6 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2016, 01:10 PM   #3722
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Blizzard driving in New Brunswick

verreme liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2016, 06:32 PM   #3723
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A truck has struck the Honoré Mercier Bridge (Route 138) in Montréal.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

NFZANMNIM liked this post
Old February 19th, 2016, 03:43 AM   #3724
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

I'm surprised the bridge didn't fall down.
The span was opened to traffic around 1962 (not the 1934 span next to it) I am thinking from the picture, but it has considerable corrosion issues (under repairs for the past 10 years...)

It's always surprising how small the roads in Montreal are compared to Toronto
Remember when the dump truck did the same thing to the Toronto-bound Burlington Skyway?
Old February 19th, 2016, 03:29 PM   #3725
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There are some bridge types that are 'fracture critical', i.e. if one beam is compromised, the entire bridge could fail. It occurred with two high-profile bridge failures in the U.S., the I-35W bridge in Minneapolis and a bridge of I-5 north of Seattle which was struck by a truck as well.
Old February 26th, 2016, 05:38 AM   #3726
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Funding was announced today within the Provincial budget for the widening of the 400 from Major Mackenzie to King Road to add an HOV lane in each direction and upgrade the highway to modern standards (wider shoulders, etc.), and widening the 417 in Ottawa from the 416 to Island Park Drive. Roughly 17km of widenings.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2016, 08:34 AM   #3727
Cricket_Fan

Likes (Received): 1115

More information on 401 reconstruction through Chatham-Kent is available on project site (http://hwy401reconstruction.ca/about-the-project/).

Contract 1 was done last year. Contract 2 and 3 as follows:

Quote:
Contract 2

Expected to begin in 2016, subject to funding and approvals and will include two construction seasons (i.e., May 1 to December 31, 2016 and May 1 to December 31, 2017)

Scope of Work
The project limits for Contract 2 are on Highway 401 eastbound from just east of Essex Road 42 in the Town of Lakeshore to Drake Road and westbound from Merlin Road to Bloomfield Road in the Municipality of Chatham-Kent.

The proposed work includes the following scope of work over two construction seasons:

Year 1
Reconstruction of approximately 12.5 km of the Highway 401 westbound lanes (WBL)

Year 2
Reconstruction of approximately 16.8 km of the Highway 401 eastbound lanes (EBL)

Quote:
Contract 3
***Scope of Work
From Drake Road to 5 km east of Bloomfield Road interchange, EBL only.
From 5 km west of Kent Bridge Road to Victoria Road, EBL only.

The proposed work includes the following:

Full-depth reconstruction of Highway 401
I've only included the parts related to reconstructing the 401.

Contract 3 timeline isn't all too clear.

Must say, I am looking forward to this. The road through Chatham-Kent, especially on eastbound is in pretty poor shape for quite a long distance.
Cricket_Fan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2016, 04:26 AM   #3728
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Dufferin Construction has been awarded the contract to widen the 401 from Hurontario Road to the Credit River in Mississauga. The 3km, $75 million contract will see the highway widened from the current 6 lane cross section to a 10+2 HOV cross section in a collector-distributor setup, as the recent widening from the 403 to Hurontario was built.

https://www.raqs.merx.com/public/bul...sf?id=33898201

Funding has been secured to bring the collector-express system all the way to Highway 25 in Milton, a total distance of 24km. With this contract, 6km of it will have been completed. Apparently the MTO will be issuing the final 18km as a large, single contract through Infrastructure Ontario as a P3 instead of the traditional bid-build method used for the first 6km.

ChrisZwolle liked this post
Old March 4th, 2016, 03:11 PM   #3729
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Highway 427, Toronto

https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2016/...expansion.html

Ontario issued a request for qualifications for the extension of Highway 427 and the construction of HOT lanes. They will extend Highway 427 6.6 kilometers north to Major Mackenzie Drive and add HOT lanes along a 15.5 kilometer stretch from Highway 409 to Rutherford Road. The extension will open to traffic in 2020 while the HOT lanes will open in 2021. The HOT lanes extend onto the the new extension of Highway 427. It could be the first example of a greenfield freeway with HOT lanes? They are usually added in a later stage.

MichiH liked this post
Old March 4th, 2016, 08:06 PM   #3730
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Quite possibly. My understanding was the plan was to put the HOT lanes only on up to Highway 7, the current terminus. The new freeway was supposed to be then 6 regular lanes to Rutherford, and 4 lanes to Major Mackenzie. I wonder what the cross section looks like now that the HOTs are going to Rutherford.. does it still have 6 regular lanes up to there, or have they converted one of the regular traffic lanes planned to an HOT lane?
Old March 5th, 2016, 01:47 AM   #3731
Kanadzie

I wonder how popular the HOT would be especially past #7
Probably close to zero

That said, I wonder the cost of staging vs. population growth. I can imagine the 6+2 setup being required at Major Mack within 20 years-ish, so maybe it is cheaper to build ultimate stage immediately instead of the grassy median 4 lane setup (that wouldn't last long enough to require replacement from age). Like for example the rebuild of the 403 in Mississauga in this kind of way, I am not sure if it really made economic sense (since realistically the "ultimate" stage wasn't particularly luxurious say 10 years before it opened)

The extreme example would be something like the original Hwy 401 (and 27 freeway) across Toronto (4-6 lanes) that was demolished and rebuilt within 15 years of opening and conserving essentially no structures, it was a tremendous waste of public resources (as the overpasses for example were good to last 50 or 60 years...)

Something like Hwy 406 with the single carriageway is more logical just because of the slow rate of growth out there, but York Region is a powerhouse in an already fast-growing part of the world, for sure in this way.
Old March 5th, 2016, 02:30 AM   #3732
Cricket_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Dufferin Construction has been awarded the contract to widen the 401 from Hurontario Road to the Credit River in Mississauga. The 3km, $75 million contract will see the highway widened from the current 6 lane cross section to a 10+2 HOV cross section in a collector-distributor setup, as the recent widening from the 403 to Hurontario was built.

https://www.raqs.merx.com/public/bul...sf?id=33898201

Funding has been secured to bring the collector-express system all the way to Highway 25 in Milton, a total distance of 24km. With this contract, 6km of it will have been completed. Apparently the MTO will be issuing the final 18km as a large, single contract through Infrastructure Ontario as a P3 instead of the traditional bid-build method used for the first 6km.
Is the MTO planning on eventually making the 401 10+ lanes continuous from the highway 8 interchange in Cambridge to the current 410 interchange?

They're extending the collector-express system to Milton as you mention, while they widen the 401 in Cambridge. I quote this article:

Quote:
• Widening Highway 401 between Hespeler Road to Townline Road, including new bridges at Hespeler Road and Franklin Boulevard; detailed design underway

• Widening Highway 401 between Townline Road to Halton Region boundary; preliminary design completed in June 2014
Townline Road to highway 25 is a good ~35km and it is not clear how much of that 35km is covered by the widening from Townline Road to Halton Region/Milton
Old March 5th, 2016, 03:41 AM   #3733
Cricket_Fan

A small stretch of the 401 in Mississauga, just as it widens to collector/express, has had one left lane closed for construction for a few years and I never see any work happening there. Here's a google street view:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.62811...7i13312!8i6656

Does anyone know why the left lane is being kept closed in that stretch, given no work appears to be happening? And when might this lane open?
Old March 5th, 2016, 03:56 AM   #3734
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket_Fan View Post
A small stretch of the 401 in Mississauga, just as it widens to collector/express, has had one left lane closed for construction for a few years and I never see any work happening there. Here's a google street view:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.62811...7i13312!8i6656

Does anyone know why the left lane is being kept closed in that stretch, given no work appears to be happening? And when might this lane open?
Yep. It's an HOV lane.

Doesn't make much sense to have a HOV lane run for 2.5km, so they are keeping it closed until the widening of the 401 is extended to the west.

Eventually the 401 is planned to have the HOV lanes and collector/express system extend to Milton, at the edge of Greater Toronto, and have the HOVs run all the way to Kitchener.
-This will ultimately mean extending the overpasses at the 407 ETR interchange or squeezing/narrowing the collector/express system similar to how it contracts at the Highway 427 interchange.

My Simcity Stuff

Cricket_Fan liked this post
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2016, 05:11 AM   #3735
Cricket_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
Yep. It's an HOV lane.

Doesn't make much sense to have a HOV lane run for 2.5km, so they are keeping it closed until the widening of the 401 is extended to the west.

Eventually the 401 is planned to have the HOV lanes and collector/express system extend to Milton, at the edge of Greater Toronto, and have the HOVs run all the way to Kitchener.
-This will ultimately mean extending the overpasses at the 407 ETR interchange or squeezing/narrowing the collector/express system similar to how it contracts at the Highway 427 interchange.
Thank you. I am sure this has been thought of before but they could open it as a general purpose lane currently and convert it to HOV once the express/collector extends to Credit river or to Milton. The cost of doing so is probably negligible, the only reason I can imagine is MTO not wanting to hear the complaints about losing a general purpose lane like it happened during the Pan-am games.
Old March 5th, 2016, 06:41 AM   #3736
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

AKA politics

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2016, 10:25 AM   #3737
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Highway 401, Oshawa

They are also planning to expand Highway 401 east of Toronto, a 26 kilometer stretch from Brock Road in Pickering to Courtice Road east of Oshawa. The basic plan is to expand the freeway to 12 lanes from Pickering to Highway 412 and 10 lanes further east to Courtice Road.

The schematics can be viewed in Appendix C: http://www.highway401brocktocourtice...orts.html#tesr
Old March 5th, 2016, 05:17 PM   #3738
Kanadzie

it's badly needed, traffic is frequently at a standstill after/before Hwy 35/115
Old March 6th, 2016, 12:03 AM   #3739
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

my understanding is that one is a whiles off yet. The only reason MTO did that study is because they are replacing a bunch of bridges in Durham and needed to know how wide to make them to fit the future cross section. MTO expects the 407 extension to take a lot of pressure off the 401 I think.
Old March 7th, 2016, 07:01 AM   #3740
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Don't think this has been posted here yet, a render of the new Champlain bridge in Montreal currently under construction:

ollo, hammersklavier liked this post

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto