daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 12th, 2016, 02:13 AM   #3781
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

It would be interesting to compare km driven and also regional differences.

For example, Ontario has a per billion passenger-km fatality rate roughly a third of Saskatchewan.
Ontario has a large majority of its population centered around Toronto where traffic flows on motorways and is always close to hospitals

Wheras Saskatchewan is a much more rural and dispersed place and has people driving much further away from help, and motorways don't exist, though there are divided expressways on major roads.

See here for 2014 report in Canada, with attention to page 4:
https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents...cs2014_eng.pdf

Ontario has 3.6 deaths per billion km
Nunavut has 108.1 (!)

Now of course, Nunavut has a extremely remote and rural population where help is probably not going to arrive in time, an extremely harsh climate where the unexpected can happen (e.g., fall through an ice road), and a population with tremendous social problems (alcohol and substance abuse and tendency to suicide) that swings it far away from normal.

Nunavut's relative "driving distance" is also interesting - per million people, number is only 111, comparable to USA on a whole. But where do Nunavut people drive, when roads are few and Iqaluit can be walked across... to the next world, presumably.

To compare to USA, I want to say they have a much larger "rural" population that is more dynamic than ours, and that pushes the numbers.
It would be interesting to compare a place like California vs. Ontario for example

Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2016, 03:51 PM   #3782
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Nunavut has such as small population, road network and kilometers traveled that any fatal accident could mess up the numbers.

But the Canada vs United States comparison is interesting because both countries have a fairly similar spatial planning, roads and speed limits are similar and the vehicle types are also fairly similar. Canada has fewer freeways, so those at-grade divided highways should result in a lower safetely level than full-standard freeways, but this isn't reflected in the overall fatality figures.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2016, 03:52 PM   #3783
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Edmonton

The Highway 216 (Anthony Henday Drive) northeast segment around Edmonton will open to traffic this year.

It features a fairly large interchange with Highway 16 (Yellowhead Highway) on the east side of Edmonton.

design:

April 2016 imagery:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

wkiehl101 liked this post
Old May 12th, 2016, 03:55 PM   #3784
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Calgary

The Highway 201 (Stoney Trail) and Highway 2 (Deerfoot Trail) interchange in southern Calgary has been upgraded in recent years.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

wkiehl101 liked this post
Old May 13th, 2016, 01:45 AM   #3785
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

I believe Canada has more freeways per capita than the US, correct?

Those at grade expressways in the prairies are usually very low traffic and wouldn't even be twinned in the US. Most highways that have freeway levels of traffic (10,000+aadt) are built as freeways, or very close to it.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2016, 01:53 AM   #3786
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

I'm not sure. The US has so many "un-needed" Interstates everywhere, like Montana for only one glaring example

Surely in the US our old Hwy 17 across most of Ontario would have been a freeway for decades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Highway 216 (Anthony Henday Drive) northeast segment around Edmonton will open to traffic this year.
It's so crazy how that interchange has been improved. North to west used to be a hard left turn across oncoming traffic on a 2 lane cow path. Not 50 years ago, more like 50 weeks

I drove through the Hwy 2 / 22X (201) in Calgary last summer, almost Toronto like
Old May 14th, 2016, 09:15 PM   #3787
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Some 407 photos taken last night:

Westbound from the Lake Ridge Road overpass:

Eastbound from Lake Ridge:

Westerly from Coronation Road:

Easterly from Coronation Road:
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2016, 09:44 PM   #3788
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It looks like it could open soon. I believe the opening is set for 'spring 2016', which can be any time now.
Old May 14th, 2016, 11:12 PM   #3789
sonysnob

^ The freeway mainline is pretty much finished. I think all that remains is some landscaping work, and some of the lighting doesn't yet have its luminaries.

More work remains though at the interchanges. I figure that the 407 will open in about a month.
Old May 15th, 2016, 01:25 PM   #3790
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I compared some traffic fatality data, and two countries that appear fairly similar, turn out to be quite different in terms of traffic safety.

In 2014, Canada had 1,834 traffic fatalities, a rate of 52 per 1 million people. At the same time, the United States had 32,675 fatalities, a rate of 103 per 1 million people, double the rate of Canada.

To put it in perspective among developed countries; Canada has a fatality rate near the EU average, the U.S. traffic fatality rate is much higher with only one EU country (Latvia) exceeding it slightly.

Overview:

Fatalities per 1 million people;

* Netherlands: 28
* Norway: 29
* Israel: 33
* Japan: 36
* China: 46
* Australia: 49
* EU average: 51
* Canada: 52
* New Zealand: 64
* United States: 103
* Latvia: 106

I wonder what is the cause for such a marked difference between Canada and the United States.
The Chinese figure is incredibly low, considering how chaotic traffic in that country is. Maybe not all accident-related death are reported as such?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2016, 03:21 PM   #3791
EasySeven

Likes (Received): 139

According to the World Health Organisation the Chinese rate for 2015 is 188 which is a figure I am much more inclined to believe.
EasySeven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2016, 03:45 PM   #3792
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Statista claims 58,500 fatalities in 2014, with 1.3 billion people, giving a rate in the mid-40s. However, it is possible this figure is only for national road infrastructure, some countries report national/federal road fatalities separate from lower governments.
Old May 15th, 2016, 03:49 PM   #3793
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasySeven View Post

According to the World Health Organisation the Chinese rate for 2015 is 188 which is a figure I am much more inclined to believe.
Of course, if the 46 figure comes from the Chinese regime it isn't very reliable.

Anyway, I think that calculating accident/death rate in relation with km driven is more accurate than in relation with the number of people.
A small island were people drive short distances or a poor country with a low vehicle ownership rate may have a low accident/death rate in relation to the number of people, because people drive less, but it may have a high rate in relation with the km driven.

EDIT: Chris answer may be another option.
National road infrastructure in China may have a lower accident rate because they are mostly motorways, that are usually safer than undivided roads.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2016, 04:17 PM   #3794
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Anyway, I think that calculating accident/death rate in relation with km driven is more accurate than in relation with the number of people.
It is indeed, but this data is not readily available for many countries and even if it is available, different methodologies used by statistical agencies makes it difficult to compare to other countries. Population figures are much more reliable and widely available, which is why this measure is often used.

It could be interesting to compare the Canadian fatality rate with the U.S. fatality rate per 1 billion vehicle miles / kilometers.

Old May 15th, 2016, 11:42 PM   #3795
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

I believe Canadians drive the most km on average globally too - I remember seeing that somewhere.

Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2016, 04:30 PM   #3796
sonysnob

Some Toronto Expressways at dusk:

wkiehl101, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old May 18th, 2016, 06:29 AM   #3797
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10966

Canada has more km of road per capita than any country in the world and considerably more than the US. Perhaps that factors into our lower fatality rate as roads are less busy.

It might also help to look at highway vs city auto fatalities. Maybe its the US city fatality rate that bumps their number up? Canadian urban planning encourages pedestrianization and higher population density. It likely results in city streets with lots of stops, lower speed limits, and lower auto related deaths.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2016, 10:55 PM   #3798
big W

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Canada has more km of road per capita than any country in the world and considerably more than the US. Perhaps that factors into our lower fatality rate as roads are less busy.

It might also help to look at highway vs city auto fatalities. Maybe its the US city fatality rate that bumps their number up? Canadian urban planning encourages pedestrianization and higher population density. It likely results in city streets with lots of stops, lower speed limits, and lower auto related deaths.
I would also consider the higher rates of public transportation use in Canada vs the US as a potential reason. We tend to have much higher mass transit in our cities and therefore that could result in less deaths on the roads.

big W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 03:14 PM   #3799
sonysnob

Video of the recently twinned portion of Hwy 11/17 east of Thunder Bay, ON

Old June 1st, 2016, 03:11 PM   #3800
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033