daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 2nd, 2016, 04:33 AM   #3801
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10969

That bridge could be 6 lanes and still be busy.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2016, 04:55 AM   #3802
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

45,000 AADT is pretty low for a 6 lane road.

Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 06:31 AM   #3803
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

When the life of this refurbishment project nears the end of it's life, a second span could be built.

This would allow the original bridge to fully close for more complex maintenance and replacements such as the foundation, anchors, cables and towers.

If the new span was 3 lanes, that could total 6 lanes when both are operating. A good comparison is the Blue Water Bridge crossing between Point Edward, Ontario, and Port Huron, Michigan: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Water_Bridge (which is 6 lanes and only has an AADT of 14,000).

The other scenario would be to build a new bridge 4-6 lanes wide to completely replace it.

My Simcity Stuff

Last edited by Haljackey; June 2nd, 2016 at 06:38 AM.
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 07:27 AM   #3804
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
45,000 AADT is pretty low for a 6 lane road.
One should be careful when using statistics. Almost all of the traffic on the bridge occurs during 1-2 hours in the morning, then from 3:30-5:30pm when people go home. There are only 5 routes on to peninsula Halifax and the McDonald Bridge is one of them.

Due to the geography of Halifax, traffic is far worse than what one would expect for a city this size. For 5 years I drove from Clayton Park to peninsula Halifax (pink square Oxford and Spring Garden) for school. It was bumper to bumper the whole way every day and always took over an hour. If I did the same trip around 8pm I could easily do it in 10 minutes.

All 5 routes are an absolute nightmare. You can see it below. There are 2 bridges to Halifax from Dartmouth then 3 other road routes from suburban Halifax on to peninsula Halifax.

Below is what you see 2 minutes after leaving your driveway and it's like this for mile after mile after mile on every route in. Even if you widened this particular road the traffic would come to a complete stop once you hit the peninsula. The peninsula just can't handle the volume of cars trying to travel on it. Every conceivable side street is backed up on the whole thing with people trying to escape it.

Believe me, we got very creative but it was no use. We'd leave at 7:30 am to make a 9:00 am class.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; June 2nd, 2016 at 07:51 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2016, 09:09 PM   #3805
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Highway 407 extension and the 412 opens Monday.
Old June 18th, 2016, 05:24 PM   #3806
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Some recent photos of the recently completed widening of Highway 401 in Ontario through the eastern portion of Kingston:

The whole set:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_4...p15_images.htm
Old June 18th, 2016, 06:09 PM   #3807
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

it's really a big improvement, I drive through that frequently and saw the evolution of the construction. But I always see it at night

The old pavement along that stretch (with the old steel rail barrier) was getting increasingly unconscionably (worse than Quebec) bad...

The sign for Hwy 15 is odd though and the lane ends sign seems to now be superfluous (previously it said something like 500 m but now the lane goes down the hill...)

Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2016, 06:41 PM   #3808
sonysnob

^ Yeah, the sign for Hwy 15 is odd. It's poorly laid out. I sent the MTO an email about some of the signage in the Kingston area. It's not terrible, but it's not great in my opinion.

I think originally the widening project was supposed to extend right to the Hwy 15 interchange, but it was scaled back to just shy of the Cataraqui River Bridge. I'm not sure the rationale, but I have to think that the Cataraqui River Bridge would still need to be rehabbed and widened on its own over the next few years -- it's pretty old.

sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2016, 07:00 PM   #3809
Kanadzie

maybe they have too much "GTA-centric" thinking and think then that Hwy 15 is an important destination in itself something like 403/410 would be

or perhaps were thinking to write {15} NORTH/NORD | \15/ SOUTH/SUD but it was thought crowded...

Cataraqui river sign makes me laugh wondering if the locals all have catarrh (aqui = here). I usually keep my foot down and not exit through this region

Old June 23rd, 2016, 12:51 AM   #3810
Haljackey

Highway 401 at Allen Road drone footage

My Simcity Stuff

Old June 23rd, 2016, 05:55 AM   #3811
Cricket_Fan

Likes (Received): 1117

New 407 stretch from Brock Road to Harmony Road:

412 northbound:

Cricket_Fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2016, 09:29 PM   #3812
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Queen Elizabeth Way, Ontario

Ontario to begin testing high-occupancy toll lanes on QEW in September

The province has reserved a section of the highway between Trafalgar Road in Oakville and Guelph Line in Burlington to test the pilot project which is scheduled to begin on Sept. 15.

The plan announced last December calls for existing high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes on the QEW to be converted into HOT lanes while still allowing two or more occupants of a vehicle to ride for free.

Single occupant drivers will be given the option to purchase a monthly permit to use them.

The province says approximately 1,000 applicants will be selected to purchase permits through a draw. The permit will cost $180 for a three-month term.
Full report: http://www.cknw.com/syn/60/145750/so...for-60-a-month

An unusual plan with permits to purchase access to the HOV lanes. As far as I'm aware such a scheme has never been implemented before in North America.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2016, 09:35 PM   #3813
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket_Fan View Post
New 407 stretch from Brock Road to Harmony Road:
Thanks for the videos
The left lane hogging however makes my eyes bleed
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 01:17 AM   #3814
Cricket_Fan

Likes (Received): 1117

Yeah, you could see cars in the right lane overtaking. I had to cringe at that part. On the 400 highways this is all too common.

Cricket_Fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 02:10 AM   #3815
Kanadzie

I drive the Halton Region section of the QEW with those HOV lanes daily
It's a tremendous bottleneck piece of crap road, since the 6+2 HOV lane Hwy 403 and 6 lane QEW converge on this 6+2 HOV roadway

The HOV lanes usually working well the morning and the PM, but so far now that it has become warm outside, the HOV lane is jammed too in the PM rush... not sure if it will be worth the $60 a month.

That said, the OPP is always aggressively enforcing the HOV rules (and causing traffic jams) and $180 is about what they charge you, and usually they will get you once a day instead of once every 3 months...

Old June 25th, 2016, 05:42 AM   #3816
sonysnob

Some new pics of the recently opened 412 east of Toronto from the perspective of the 401. I have a bunch of pics of the highway, but I'll start with these ones.

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_4...0-16_24x16.jpg
New CMS sign approaching the interchange. I haven't seen it powered up yet.

Advanced diagram signage. The text covering the ramp to Lake Ridge Road has been covered with green out as the ramp has yet to open.

Signage at the future off-ramp to Lake Ridge Road.

View at the eastbound off-ramp to Highway 412. The signage has been doctored to cover up the toll banner beneath both the 412 and 407 shields. The new highways will be toll free for the remainder of 2016.

Two views looking west from Lake Ridge Road on the 401. Lake Ridge Road is situated immediately to the west of the Highway 412 interchange.

Two views looking easterly along Highway 401 towards the Highway 412 interchange from the Lake Ridge Road interchange.
Old June 25th, 2016, 06:15 AM   #3817
Kanadzie

It must be so much nicer to run through there than before with the construction...

The "407 via 412" legends are weird. One would think more, "412 to 407". Certainly the highway 412 for now is more like just a long exit ramp (something akin to the Oakville section of the 403), but still...

Old June 25th, 2016, 10:34 AM   #3818
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Say that you're not familiar with the road numbering in the Toronto area. Then '407 via 412' is very ambiguous. 407 is apparently a major destination, but no cities or directions are signed.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

ChuckScraperMiami#1, isaidso liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2016, 03:48 PM   #3819
sonysnob

I don't see it as much of a problem really. The 407 doesn't really go anywhere that the 401 doesn't go. It's less than 10km to the north.

The MTO has never signed the 407 with control cities. I can only speculate why, however, if I had to guess I'd say there is a reluctance to direct people onto the toll road by suggesting that it is "the way" somewhere, if you know what I mean.

Old June 25th, 2016, 05:44 PM   #3820
Haljackey

So 401 is still 6 lanes east of Salem Road despite the rerouting of the road? That's still a big bottleneck. It could easily be 8 or 10 lanes to the Lake Ridge / 407 ramps. Would make the bottleneck less 'bottled'.

Great pics.

My Simcity Stuff

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto