daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 24th, 2016, 09:34 PM   #3841
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Some photos of the recently opened section of Highway 407 through central Durham Region:

My whole set of images can be found here:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_4..._p5_images.htm

Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2016, 09:47 PM   #3842
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19352

Build ON

It looks like it is built with an expansion to 10 lanes in mind.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2016, 12:18 AM   #3843
sonysnob

^ You're right. It's been designed for a ten lane cross-section to the west of Harmony Road, and it will be designed as an eight lane road east of Harmony Road in Oshawa.
Old July 25th, 2016, 12:58 AM   #3844
Cricket_Fan

Likes (Received): 1115

How's the impact on the traffic on the 401? Keeping in mind that the tolls haven't kicked in yet. From what I gather via some google research, it doesn't seem to have had much of an impact on the 401. It won't get any better once the tolls come into play.
Cricket_Fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2016, 03:15 PM   #3845
sonysnob

I am not sure either what kind of effect the opening of the 407/412 has had on the 401. It is certainly of note that a new relatively heavy merge was added to the 401 at Lake Ridge where it wasn't there before.

That said though, it seems to me that the 407 has certainly had a positive effect on the local road network through Pickering, Ajax and Whitby. Harmony Road north and Regional Road 3 through eastern Oshawa appear to be busier now, however that will probably change once the highway is extended further to the east, and once the tolls kick in.

I'm not a regular 401 commuter, but I have used both the 412 and 407 on numerous occasions now as I live in Durham Region. The connection always does seem to be well utilized. It will be interesting to see what effect the tolling has to the traffic once it kicks in next year.

Cricket_Fan liked this post
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2016, 04:18 PM   #3846
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I've watched many videos from 'Trucker Josh' on Youtube, he frequently drives from northern to southern Ontario, and always takes the 400 to 401, never the 407.

I doubt if the 407 will attract much through traffic with the hefty tolls. The 407 is only 14 kilometers longer for through traffic on the 401, so it could easily be faster during rush hour. However, the hefty tolls on the 407 could be the reason why it's usually uncongested.
Old July 25th, 2016, 04:56 PM   #3847
sonysnob

My job has me on the 407 during the middle of the day several times per week through southern York Region. While the 407 unequivocally carries less commercial traffic than other 400-series highways in the GTA, there is still no shortage of trucks on the tollway.
Old July 29th, 2016, 09:30 PM   #3848
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Highway 69, Ontario

A detailed map of the Highway 69 development project in Ontario.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL liked this post
Old July 30th, 2016, 03:03 PM   #3849
sonysnob

Video of the Coq (Yellowhead Hwy 5) in BC:

Old July 30th, 2016, 03:08 PM   #3850
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

As a recommendation, the tv-series 'Highway Thru Hell' takes place on the Coquihalla (after season 3 it's both on the Coq and near Fort McMurray). It's a very interesting series that follows 2 tow trucking companies operating on the hill.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2016, 03:45 PM   #3851
sonysnob

I quite like Highway thru Hell as well. It get's pretty frequent airtime on Canada's Discovery Channel.

This video is the second of two parts through the Coq. The first video includes a small clip from Highway thru Hell as well.
Old July 31st, 2016, 02:48 AM   #3852
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

August long weekend is here and once again, the subject of a fixed link to Vancouver Island comes up:

http://globalnews.ca/video/2855031/u..._campaign=2016

On another subject, here is a short dashcam vid I made while returning home from Calgary. I'm driving westbound through the avalanche galleries on the east side of Rodger's Pass. They are in the process of getting LED lighting. Sadly, I went through too early, otherwise, I would have beeen able to capture the contra-flow that's in place otherwise, though traffic needs to be stopped to accommodate commercial traffic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6fM8yFTxw0
Old July 31st, 2016, 04:47 PM   #3853
sonysnob

Some photos of Autoroute 20 in the eastern part of Quebec:

The entire set of photos:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/PQ/A/20/Page8.htm
Old August 1st, 2016, 03:01 AM   #3854
sonysnob

Some more new photos, this time from Quebec City. I'm having kind of a lazy day at home, hence the photo dump.

Autoroute 740:

The entire set is here:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/PQ/A/740/index.html

Last edited by sonysnob; August 1st, 2016 at 03:07 AM.
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2016, 06:42 PM   #3855
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
This road used to be called "Autoroute du Vallon" before being renamed after the Lazarus-esque former premier Bourassa a few years ago
The first time I drove here, I passed this area, and, ah, there's the vallon in question

But actually apparently:
Quote:
Highway Robert-Bourassa was formerly known as route du Vallon. A stretch of the Vallon highway located in Sainte-Foy was formerly known under the name of the Vallon road. This road linked since the late 17th century the Gomin path to Chemin Sainte-Foy. Extended north of Chemin Sainte-Foy in 1970, she became the motorway du Vallon.

The old road of Vallon probably took its name from Thierry Delestre said Du Vallon or Valon, a native of Hainaut (Wallonia), historic region of both sides of the current Franco-Belgian border. This master tailor of Walloon original clothes - hence its nickname - arrived about 1656 in Quebec City, where he married the same year, Marie Péré, coming of Bearn, France. In 1663 Delestre bought land on the Saint-Michel coast (now. Chemin Sainte-Foy), in the manor of Sillery. He died in 1684.
https://www.ville.quebec.qc.ca/cultu...x?IdFiche=7081

geogregor liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2016, 04:55 AM   #3856
Cricket_Fan

The MTO's 2016-2020 Highway programs has been released and there are a few interesting things I found (http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/hig...-2016-2020.pdf).

1. Highway 7 between Kitchener and Guelph is targeted for beyond 2020.
2. There is an "HOV expansion" slated at "Regional Rd. 25 to Trafalgar Rd. and Trafalgar Rd. to Credit River Bridge, Halton & Peel (HOV)" for beyond 2020. This appears to be the express-collector widening up to highway 25 in Milton.
3. On the 401, "Auxiliary lanes between new Hwy 412 and Brock St." However, this is to the east of the 412 interchange, shouldn't they be adding these lanes to the west of the 412 interchange?
4. Highway 427 expansion to Major Mackenzie Drive targeted to 2020.
5. Several resurfacing projects underway or planned to be underway on the 401 in eastern ontario.
6. Cataraqui River Bridge in Kingston slated for replacement by 2018.
7. Reconstruction for 28 km (2 separate contracts, one for 15km and one for 13 km) of the 401 in Elgin county slated for 2018-2020.
8. Grand River Bridge rehabilitation in Kitchener, could be a precursor to making the 401/8 interchange free flowing in all directions.

Last edited by Cricket_Fan; August 3rd, 2016 at 05:52 AM.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 05:21 AM   #3857
Kanadzie

I confirm some resurfacing work on eastern Hwy 401, I was there recently

The stretch just before the border, particularly Montreal-bound is decidedly terrible.
It's an interesting experience driving in Ontario on a crap road surface, then passing the Quebec sign and suddenly rolling on billiard-table smooth blacktop, but if you pass Hwy 401 today, you will experience just that! (admittedly, Quebec just paved Hwy 20 to the border this year, and the Vaudreuil -> Kirkland segment of Hwy 40 East is insanely bad)
Old August 3rd, 2016, 05:58 AM   #3858
Cricket_Fan

Yeah the last time I went for a drive through eastern Ontario (mid 2015) a good chunk of the 401 was in terrible shape. Like you mentioned, it was interesting that even at that time Autoroute 20 was in much better shape than the 401 near the border.

I'd be interested in knowing what plans MTO has for widening the remaining 4 lane sections of the 401, namely Tilbury - London and Coburg - Quebec Border (excluding Hamilton). IMO it should 6+ lanes all the way from Windsor to Kingston at the very least. The section from Tilbury - London is a terrible drive because of the inordinate amount of trucks.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 10:18 PM   #3859
sonysnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
I confirm some resurfacing work on eastern Hwy 401, I was there recently

The stretch just before the border, particularly Montreal-bound is decidedly terrible.
It's an interesting experience driving in Ontario on a crap road surface, then passing the Quebec sign and suddenly rolling on billiard-table smooth blacktop, but if you pass Hwy 401 today, you will experience just that! (admittedly, Quebec just paved Hwy 20 to the border this year, and the Vaudreuil -> Kirkland segment of Hwy 40 East is insanely bad)
The eastern section of the 401 was only resurfaced in something like 2004 or so. The pavement really hasn't held up that well. I think the highway needs a complete rebuild. I'm not sure if there is old 50 year old deteriorating concrete underneath the pavement through there or not.

I drove back from Quebec City along the 401 back in July, and I noticed that almost all of the original overpasses between Brockville and Cornwall are in the process of being replaced. Seeing as those bridges were built in the early 1960s, they didn't get much of a service life out of them before replacement.

I think the 417 at the Quebec border may be in worse shape than A-40 as well.

I remember when I first started going to Quebec semi regularly back in 2006 or so. At that time, both A-40 and A-20 between the Ontario border and Montreal were almost undriveable they were in such poor condition.
Old August 4th, 2016, 01:50 AM   #3860
Kanadzie

pretty much spot-on

I think the land in that region immediately before the border is not stable (Leda-clay) and it causes problem for the roads. I think it is the reason why Hwy 417 veers so far south into the middle of nowhere instead of following the population (and shorter distance) along (former) Hwy 17.

There was actually a small town a bit north/northwest of the Hwy 417 / 138 interchange that was actually abandoned from the unstable land, and a few years later a landslide swallowed it up (Lemieux, ON) I remember reading something about this being a design consideration when they built Hwy 416 also.

Thinking of it, the nasty part of 417 is more or less in that area, and its nasty every time I use it...

That overpass replacement along 401 has been going on forever, especially in Cornwall. I drive the road a few times a year for several years and always construction in Cornwall...

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto