daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 18th, 2016, 03:56 PM   #3881
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

The feasibility study didn't really include an evaluation of the Vanier Parkway between the proposed tunnel and the 417 interchange. Such an evaluation would likely be required as part of the EA if this project keeps moving forward. It doesn't seem unrealistic to assume that at least some sort of interchange modifications would be required at Vanier Parkway to accommodate additional traffic bound for the tunnel, so I doubt what has been shown thus far is final configuration. So while I too am disappointed that a free-flow connection is not currently envisioned, I expect that there will be revisions to the final design if this project continues to move forward.

Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2016, 05:38 AM   #3882
sonysnob

Some recent photos of the 417 extension west of Arnprior, Ontario:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_4...ug16_24x16.jpg
Campbell Drive doesn't really go to Braeside, but nevertheless, the business district is signed via Campbell Drive.

Westbound advanced signage for the Campbell Drive interchange. The remnants of the old lane configuration from when the four lane highway ended at this location are still visible on the pavement.

Signage at the westbound off-ramp to Campbell Drive. Campbell Drive is Exit # 187.

Centralized view from the Campbell Drive overpass, looking easterly.

Easterly view overtop of the westbound lanes. The westbound lanes are effectively complete.

Campbell Drive has a four lane cross-section overtop of the 417

The control cities for the 417 are Ottawa and North Bay respectively.

Westerly view over the westbound lanes from Campbell Drive

Westerly view over the eastbound lanes. By the looks of things, the eastbound lanes have been resurfaced using recycled asphalt. Typically a leveling course followed by a surface wearing course would be applied to complete the highway.

Distance signage for the destinations that Highway 417 one day hopes to go to.

The right lane ends.

Westerly view overtop of the Scheel Drive underpass. The left shoulder has extra space then typical. I'm guessing it was built that way to facilitate construction staging for the next extension of the 417 towards Renfrew (whenever that happens).

A short stub was graded beyond the Scheel Drive underpass to facilitate a future extension of the four lane highway.

Continuing west on conventional Hwy 17. Much of the next 2000km of highway look striking similar to this.

Last edited by sonysnob; August 23rd, 2016 at 05:51 AM.
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2016, 10:01 PM   #3883
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

A dump truck has taken down an overhead sign of Highway 410 in Brampton.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2016, 07:08 PM   #3884
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Those Brampton dumb**** / dumptruck drivers sure love to crash into things overhead
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...time-1.3683838

Last edited by Kanadzie; August 29th, 2016 at 05:57 AM.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2016, 12:01 AM   #3885
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A dump truck has taken down an overhead sign of Highway 410 in Brampton.

I'm surprised i came down in one piece. Then again, it is an old style/design from the 70s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Those Brampton dumptruck drivers sure love to crash into things overhead
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...time-1.3683838
While it's not common, it's not that rare, either. Makes me wonder how the driver has his/her mirrors adjusted. Even just looking in the convex (also known as "fish eye") mirrors, the driver should have easily been able to see that the dump bed was not down.
Old August 29th, 2016, 05:29 AM   #3886
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Probably a young guy too. I bet he could have pulled over to double check just in case.
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2016, 05:52 AM   #3887
Kanadzie

Was it the truck on the right side? If so he probably was on the worksite (the widening of Hwy 410 in the median) just crawling around, wonder why nobody was able to get his attention...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf View Post
I'm surprised i came down in one piece. Then again, it is an old style/design from the 70s.
It is an old one... but the 410 was only built into a freeway in late 1980's
Unless they recycled old gantry from the eastern side of the 401 when they were extending the collector-express...

It is amusing, when I first started spending a lot of time in the GTA, these gantries were everywhere. That was only like 5 years ago... now you are hard pressed to find one (I think... the only one I remember is that one just knocked down...)
Meanwhile in Quebec, these overpasses were very common and were completely replaced en-masse by say 1995... not sure why aside from corrosion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf View Post
While it's not common, it's not that rare, either. Makes me wonder how the driver has his/her mirrors adjusted. Even just looking in the convex (also known as "fish eye") mirrors, the driver should have easily been able to see that the dump bed was not down.
There are (legally) supposed to be many loud buzzing and beeping and flashing light things inside the cab when it is up and moving... the Skyway crash guy was just very drunk
Old August 30th, 2016, 07:36 AM   #3888
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4269

The Highway 3 bridge in Cayuga, ON, appears to be getting replaced. Or replaced and twinned? It was closed completely over the past weekend for work, a little after these pictures were taken.

xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2016, 05:08 PM   #3889
sonysnob

The new bridge was built off alignment on temporary bents to facilitate construction staging between the old bridge and the new bridge. This past weekend, the new bridge was slid from its temporary steel bents onto its new permanent alignment that utilizes the former bridges piers.

http://www.sachem.ca/news-story/6828...ng-experience/
Old August 31st, 2016, 06:24 PM   #3890
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4269

Interesting, thanks!

I wonder if some of these towns along Highway 3 should be bypassed by little two-lane roads through rural areas. A place like Dunnville could have one built fairly easily. Some others don't need it, really. I think one town built a little bypass recently. Or maybe it was Caledonia on Highway 6 that I'm thinking about?
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2016, 07:54 PM   #3891
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Caledonia has had a bypass on highway 6 for a long time now (Mid 80's I think). I can't think of any other bypasses though, especially not any built in the last 15 years.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2016, 01:27 AM   #3892
Kanadzie

The old Hwy 6 (Argyle St) bridge in Caledonia is falling down
but the town and county don't want to pay... they want MTO to pay, though MTO downloaded it when they made new Hwy 6 bridge

It sounds crazy... just put a barrier and let it fall, surely Caledonia doesn't have that much internal traffic to need it... maybe pave ramps at Hwy 54 or something worst-case...
Old September 1st, 2016, 01:41 AM   #3893
sonysnob

MTO owns the Argyle Street bridge in Caledonia, and will be tendering a project to replace the former bowstring bridge with a new three lane bridge over the next few years.

http://argylebridge.ca/
Old September 13th, 2016, 07:41 PM   #3894
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Manitoba

Planning has long been underway to connect the First Nations communities on the east side of Lake Winnipeg to the outside world by all-weather roads. This is called the 'East Side Transportation Initiative'.

The East Side Road Authority was established in 2009 to construct these all-weather roads, the first project being a 156 kilometer all-weather road from PR-304 to Berens River. Construction on that road started in 2011, which is supposed to be completed by 2019-2020.

However, it's only the first phase, as the recommended plan is a $ 3 billion, 1028 kilometer network of all-weather roads to nearly all First Nations communities between Lake Winnipeg and the Ontario border.

Many of these communities are featured in History Channel's Ice Road Truckers. People watching that show would be familiar with many of the names on the map above.

It remains to be seen if the $ 3 billion plan will ever come to fruition, as the current expenditures on the Manitoba winter roads (some 2000 kilometers) are about $ 13 million annually. However with climate change, the winter road season continues to get shorter, increasing the cost for northern communities.
In 1998, during a particularly warm winter, roads to 12 communities could not be built. This necessitated air transport of approximately 10 million litres of fuel and one million kilograms of foodstuffs, at a cost of $15 million to $18 million to the governments of Manitoba and Canada

Enhancing the Resilience of Manitoba’s Winter Roads System
(2014)
So in the case that some winter roads cannot be built, the cost for the government increases dramatically.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL liked this post
Old September 14th, 2016, 02:14 AM   #3895
Kanadzie

It's an interesting and curious situation

on its face spending 3 G$ is crazy... they could just relocate all of the people there to improved communities on paved roads already.
but the north of Canada is so empty and desolate already, and there should be at least some people there before it becomes "north Siberia"
Old September 14th, 2016, 02:49 AM   #3896
sonysnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
It's an interesting and curious situation

on its face spending 3 G$ is crazy... they could just relocate all of the people there to improved communities on paved roads already.
but the north of Canada is so empty and desolate already, and there should be at least some people there before it becomes "north Siberia"
Northern Sovereignty is dependant on a population as well.
Old September 15th, 2016, 12:03 AM   #3897
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Keeping the links British Columbia <=> Alberta opened is quite a challenge

I wonder why don't they build snow sheds, or plan for tunnels through the worse sectors.

Interesting video nonetheless.

Colin145, ChrisZwolle, pai nosso liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2016, 08:30 PM   #3898
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Toronto HOT lanes

Canada's First High Occupancy Toll Lanes Open September 15

Ontario is opening Canada's first High Occupancy Toll (HOT) lanes tomorrow, providing a new travel option for commuters that will improve traffic flow, maximize highway capacity, and help manage congestion.

The province is opening HOT lanes on 16.5 kilometres of the QEW in both directions, from Trafalgar Rd. in Oakville to Guelph Line in Burlington. Vehicles with two or more occupants can still travel in the lanes for free, while drivers of single-occupant vehicles can apply to purchase a permit. No existing general purpose lanes have been removed, and drivers are not required to pay to use any lanes on the QEW that they are currently allowed to use for free.

In August, Ontario received more than 3,400 applications for HOT lanes permits. A random draw was used to allocate 500 permits for the first term which runs from Sept. 15 to Dec. 31, 2016. Permit applications and renewals for the next term, Jan. 1 to March 31, 2017, open on Nov. 1, 2016 and can be submitted at Ontario.ca/HOTLanes. This pilot project will run for up to four years and will support the planning of a more efficient highway network.

* Up to 1,000 HOT permits will be made available for each three-month term, beginning with approximately 500 permits in the first term.
* For the first term only, permits will be valid from Sept. 15 to Dec. 31, 2016, giving permit holders an additional two weeks of HOT lane use as an early incentive bonus.
* Permits cost $180 for a three-month term and are renewable for a maximum of two terms.
* A 15.5 km stretch of dedicated HOT lanes with electronic tolling in both directions on Highway 427 will open in 2021, from south of Highway 409 to north of Rutherford Rd.
Full press release: https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2016/...tember-15.html

I think it's the first HOT lane system that uses a permit to allow drivers. Other schemes use electronic tolling that anyone willing to pay can use.

As far as I know, this is the second HOT/express lane system outside of the U.S. (the other being the 'Fast Lane' in Israel).
Old September 16th, 2016, 04:06 AM   #3899
sonysnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Canada's First High Occupancy Toll Lanes Open September 15

Ontario is opening Canada's first High Occupancy Toll (HOT) lanes tomorrow, providing a new travel option for commuters that will improve traffic flow, maximize highway capacity, and help manage congestion.

The province is opening HOT lanes on 16.5 kilometres of the QEW in both directions, from Trafalgar Rd. in Oakville to Guelph Line in Burlington. Vehicles with two or more occupants can still travel in the lanes for free, while drivers of single-occupant vehicles can apply to purchase a permit. No existing general purpose lanes have been removed, and drivers are not required to pay to use any lanes on the QEW that they are currently allowed to use for free.

In August, Ontario received more than 3,400 applications for HOT lanes permits. A random draw was used to allocate 500 permits for the first term which runs from Sept. 15 to Dec. 31, 2016. Permit applications and renewals for the next term, Jan. 1 to March 31, 2017, open on Nov. 1, 2016 and can be submitted at Ontario.ca/HOTLanes. This pilot project will run for up to four years and will support the planning of a more efficient highway network.

* Up to 1,000 HOT permits will be made available for each three-month term, beginning with approximately 500 permits in the first term.
* For the first term only, permits will be valid from Sept. 15 to Dec. 31, 2016, giving permit holders an additional two weeks of HOT lane use as an early incentive bonus.
* Permits cost $180 for a three-month term and are renewable for a maximum of two terms.
* A 15.5 km stretch of dedicated HOT lanes with electronic tolling in both directions on Highway 427 will open in 2021, from south of Highway 409 to north of Rutherford Rd.
Full press release: https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2016/...tember-15.html

I think it's the first HOT lane system that uses a permit to allow drivers. Other schemes use electronic tolling that anyone willing to pay can use.

As far as I know, this is the second HOT/express lane system outside of the U.S. (the other being the 'Fast Lane' in Israel).
Apparently both San Diego, and Utah used permit systems on their roads before they switched to electronic tolling as well.
Old September 16th, 2016, 04:12 AM   #3900
Kanadzie

I was recently mailed a survey in English and very poorly translated French from the Ministry of Transport that boiled down to if I liked the HOT program and if I would buy it, when I commute on the QEW and how much money I make (!)

It said they tracked me down by noting my license plate when I drove on the QEW in the morning rush one day

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto