daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 29th, 2016, 07:36 PM   #3961
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

956 was a project Ralph Klein and the Sask premier of the time announced to do 10 years ago, but I don't think much happened. It's really useful for Saskatchewan to connect the depressing economic / social wasteland of La Loche to the (at least formerly) gliterring metropolis of Fort Mac which is so so close but a 10 hour drive away when Hwy 956 melts in the spring...

Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2016, 05:09 PM   #3962
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

At the end of September, I took a drive up from the GTA into northeastern Ontario and northwestern Quebec to have a look at the early fall colours. I took some photos and shot a couple of videos of my drive.

This is the first of such videos, taken at the northern end of Hwy 400 and the start of Hwy 69. Hwy 69 is somewhat of an interesting highway, so I really wanted to record it on video before it's all twinned.

Cricket_Fan liked this post
sonysnob está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2016, 08:21 PM   #3963
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
NS-104: Antigonish-Beach Hill Road – Antigonish-Taylor's Road 7.5km (Spring 2012 to 2016) – ? – map
ON-417: Arnprior-Scheel Drive – Arnprior-Campbell Drive 5.3km (2014 to 2016) – ? – map
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
a missing project from Canada that I have recently learned about, the second phase of the Antigonish Bypass.

NS-104: Antigonish-Beach Hill Road – Antigonish-Taylor's Road 7.5km (Spring 2012 to 2016) – ? – ?

http://dailycommercialnews.com/Infra...ay-DCN051734W/

The article says it was originally scheduled for completion in the fall of 2015, but that is clearly not the case. It is very difficult to find information about it, too, for some reason.
It's reported that it was opened on 22nd October, http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=1141589.

The project page is not yet updated.

Quote:
There is a highway I just realized that I missed for Canada. Its a pretty small project though, only 5km of highway and a single interchange.

ON-417: Arnprior-Campbell Drive – Arnprior-Scheel Drive 12 5.3km (2014 to 2016) – ? – ?
According to this contract info, construction works began in May 2014 and that the "estimated end of construction" is 28th October 2016. Last update is from 28th October 2016 and it's indicated that the 5km-phase-1 section is "currently under construction"?!?!?!

It's also indicated to be open on OSM and GM. Can anyone help me, is it 2x2 in service? When was it opened or when will it be opened 2x2?

I could only find a news article reporting that the extension (phase 2-4) "doesn’t look like it’s happening anytime soon".

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2016, 11:30 PM   #3964
sonysnob

^ Construction on the 417 is almost certainly still ongoing, but it's also definitely divided already. See this post:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=3882

MichiH liked this post
sonysnob está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2016, 07:25 AM   #3965
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10380

Was in Toronto last week for a wedding. Drove a lot in the city. For a place with a tough winter climate, the roads are in pretty good shape, and the 401 had lots of construction. There was only one thing that bugged me on my visit...why are left turn green arrows so rare in Toronto? With the heavy street traffic, you need to wait until it turns red and you are already in the intersection to go left.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2016, 05:33 AM   #3966
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

in most intersections left turns banned in the downtown during rush hour since it blocks the streetcars, and usually advanced lefts are introduced where cars queue up and would take multiple light cycles to clear. I've never had much of an issue with it.. if anything I find advanced lefts annoying since you can only turn during the signal, even if there is a clearing in traffic for a lot of them.

Toronto city roads tend to be pretty crappy, but the freeways are generally in good shape. The government has done a ton of reconstruction and widening on the city freeways (401, 427), so most are very nice. I find that city streets can be in much worse condition. Many downtown are more pothole filler than original asphalt, or are pockmarked by abandoned streetcar tracks that are bumpy as hell. A lot of the worst ones have been redone in the last 5 years though...
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2016, 05:37 AM   #3967
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4266

Quote:
in most intersections left turns banned in the downtown during rush hour since it blocks the streetcars, and usually advanced lefts are introduced where cars queue up and would take multiple light cycles to clear. I've never had much of an issue with it.. if anything I find advanced lefts annoying since you can only turn during the signal, even if there is a clearing in traffic for a lot of them.
You can turn when the left green arrow disappears but the solid green circle is up. You just can't turn if a red left arrow is up during solid green. (You can turn on a left green arrow even during solid red, if both are identified.)

That's the way it is in the US, and I know it's the same in the Niagara Region where I am a lot.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2016, 08:16 AM   #3968
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Depends on the signal. Some intersections have separate signals for the left then, which goes red when it's not the dedicated turn.

Now that I think of it, they are mostly on streets with transit services in the middle of the road.. but there is a lot of that in Toronto.
Old November 1st, 2016, 04:22 PM   #3969
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Completely separate left turn signals are actually fairly uncommon in Toronto, but like was mentioned, you have them on Spadina, Queens Quay, and St Clair due to the streetcar right of way.

Generally left turn arrows are not used that often in the dense and relatively narrow streets of the downtown core, probably because it would hold up traffic and pedestrians too much (as mentioned, left turns aren't even allowed in rush hour in many places). The lights also tend to cycle much more frequently in these areas so it's less of a problem.

Left turn arrows are very common outside the core though and pretty much all major intersections have them, although they may be skipped depending on the time of day and demand (some intersections have presence sensors).
Old November 1st, 2016, 04:36 PM   #3970
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

A video of Highway 17 (the Trans-Canada Highway) in Northwestern Ontario. I'm surprised it is maintained so well, given the harsh climate. Maybe they just repaved it, but the entire route is in good conditions, they were not some spot repairs.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2016, 04:45 PM   #3971
sonysnob

^ Most of Ontario's highway network is in a really good state of repair.
Old November 2nd, 2016, 10:57 PM   #3972
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Highway 16, Edmonton, Alberta

Notley government says yes to Yellowhead makeover, feds to review project

A plan to give one of Edmonton’s most crucial traffic corridors a facelift is coming closer to fruition as Infrastructure Minister Brian Mason announced the province will pay for its share of the makeover if Ottawa agrees to pitch in as well.

In order to accommodate an anticipated spike in traffic along Yellowhead Trail over the next 30 years, the City of Edmonton is hoping to see a complete overhaul of the north side route, a plan that would see $1 billion spent on building new overpasses in order to convert it to a freeway.

The NDP government said it was prepared to pay for its portion of the funding – $241.6 million – but added that money would only begin flowing in 2021 because of other provincial commitments.
Full report: http://globalnews.ca/news/3039670/no...head-makeover/

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Innsertnamehere liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2016, 12:24 AM   #3973
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

First episode of Heavy Rescue 401 now on the Discovery channel.

http://www.discovery.ca/Shows/Heavy-Rescue-401

Main show starts in January.

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2016, 04:03 AM   #3974
sonysnob

Some pictures of Qu้bec Route 257 in the eastern townships taken last month.

The entire collection can be found here:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/PQ/R/257/index.html
Old November 19th, 2016, 04:55 AM   #3975
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

I love the landscape of the Eastern Townships, most especially in the fall (good choice of time and place to travel) and the way it is is such you can have a lovely place to live for not much money and have a realistic employment and commute in say Sherbrooke.

A few of my friends of childhood moved to the Sherbrooke for university and beyond and I thought they were insane, and still do frankly, but I have to admit it is alluring compared to the typical million-dollar collapsing bungalow (or 19 foot wide townhouse) and 90 minute commute in the 905...

the condition of that road is pretty good for a rural 2xx class route r้gionale also
Old November 19th, 2016, 05:10 AM   #3976
sonysnob

There is a lot of really pretty countryside out there. This was my second time visiting in the fall. I too can see the allure, as I write this from the 905 still exhausted from my 90 minute commute.
Old November 19th, 2016, 05:20 AM   #3977
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Allen Road in Toronto. The only completed part of the spadina expressway, which would have stretched to spadina avenue in downtown. Both the province and the city own a 30cm strip of land south of the end of the road, to require both governments approval if it were to ever be extended. (It is a municipal road)

Today it has a subway line down the middle. This part is listed as an arterial road with an 80km/h speed limit, though it is built to freeway standards.

Old November 19th, 2016, 05:35 AM   #3978
Cricket_Fan

Likes (Received): 1115

The newly reconstructed part of the 401 westbound lanes in Tilbury/Chatham recently opened. It was a 13 km stretch from Merlin Rd to Bloomfield Rd. As part of this contract, the eastbound lanes from Essex Rd 42 to Drake Rd (17 km) will be reconstructed next year. Another separate contract will reconstruct another 10 km of eastbound lanes from Charing Cross Rd to Mull Rd next year.

In 2015 another 13 km of the westbound lanes were reconstructed from Essex Rd 42 to Merlin Rd, in total 26 km of the westbound has been so far reconstructed.

Last edited by Cricket_Fan; November 19th, 2016 at 05:41 AM.
Cricket_Fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2016, 05:48 AM   #3979
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10966

If you like the eastern townships you'd like the Maritimes as well.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2016, 03:56 PM   #3980
sonysnob

MTO will be widening Highway 400 in Ontario in Central York Region starting next year:

Quote:

6. Project Length/Location:
11.3 km - Hwy 400, from 0.6 km south of Major Mackenzie Drive to 1.5 km north of King Road

7. Project Type (Category):

Construction Administration

8. Specialties Required:

Construction Administration - High Complexity

9. Description of Project:
This assignment will be for the Contract Administration Services of one Capital Construction Project for the rehabilitation and widening of Highway 400, to provide a uniform interim eight (8) and ultimate ten (10) lane cross-section.

The work includes:

• The rehabilitation and widening of Hwy 400 from 600 m south of Major Mackenzie Drive to 1.5 km north of King Rd. to an interim eight (8) lane cross-section with three (3) general purpose lanes and a median HOV lane with a 1.25 m buffer in each direction

• A sufficient platform to accommodate an extra general purpose lane in each direction to allow future expansion to an ultimate ten (10) lane cross-section

• Re-alignment of the ramps at Major Mackenzie Drive interchange, Teston Road interchange and service centre stations

• Rehabilitation and widening of the Kirby Road Overpass Structure (Site No. 37-95)

• Replacement of the King-Vaughan Road Underpass (Site No. 37-271) to accommodate the future expansion of Hwy 400 to accommodate the ultimate 10 lane cross-section

• Extension of East Humber Arch Culvert (Site No. 37-94/C)

• Extension of Culvert No. 21 (Site No. 37-1203/C)

• Staging and detours

• Environmental mitigation

• Utility relocation coordination

• Median high mast lighting

• Retaining walls

• Tall wall replacement

• Two storm water management ponds (North Service Centre and south of East Humber River Crossing)

• CCTV Cameras

• ATMS pads

• Provisions for future HOT gantries and toll signs

• Traffic management and public concerns to be addressed

Specialties required for CA Assignment:

• Landscape Architect

• Girder Inspection

• Environmental – SARS, Avian, Bats, Asbestos

• Hydrologist – Well Testing

• Fluvial Geomorphologist

• ATMS

10. Assignment approximate start and completion dates:
Pre-contract engineering phase: N/A
Construction administration phase: (tentative timing) April 2017 to November 2019

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto