daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 18th, 2004, 09:38 AM   #21
benji45

Likes (Received):

Wierd how in shows like South Park think that Canada's highways are just 1 laned dirt roads. Funny how we have the busiest highway in NA! Pretty funny!

Sponsored Links
Old December 18th, 2004, 10:32 PM   #22
CrazyCanuck
MOD SQUAD

Likes (Received): 28

I've never noticed it before but you're right sonysnob. Hwy 2 in North Ajax is big box heaven, there used to be nothing along that stretch about ten years ago. South ajax i mostly industrial, but Ajax over all, as I call it,Suburbia at it's finest.
CrazyCanuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2004, 03:32 AM   #23
Canned Kitty
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

We seriously need freeways that wide in L.A. Although I think the 5 gets to 16 lanes when it approaches Disneyland, but just a few miles north it bottlenecks into 6 lanes which creates a traffic nightmare.

What is the traffic like on Toronto? Over here it is a catastrophe. 7-10am is rush hour, 10-2pm is pretty much at your own risk and then 2-7pm is rush hour yet again. Pretty much all day.
Canned Kitty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2004, 05:51 AM   #24
VAN-TO
Van 2010 Supporter

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Kitty
We seriously need freeways that wide in L.A. Although I think the 5 gets to 16 lanes when it approaches Disneyland, but just a few miles north it bottlenecks into 6 lanes which creates a traffic nightmare.

What is the traffic like on Toronto? Over here it is a catastrophe. 7-10am is rush hour, 10-2pm is pretty much at your own risk and then 2-7pm is rush hour yet again. Pretty much all day.
Except for the weekends, Toronto seems to be as jammed as LA during rush hours: 8-11am, 4-8pm.

Worst are Don Valley Parkway (Don Valley Parking lot), Hwy. 401 at 400 interchange & at airport bottleneck.
Old December 19th, 2004, 08:42 AM   #25
Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck
I've never noticed it before but you're right sonysnob. Hwy 2 in North Ajax is big box heaven, there used to be nothing along that stretch about ten years ago. South ajax i mostly industrial, but Ajax over all, as I call it,Suburbia at it's finest.
Yep, the only cool part of Ajax is PICKERING village.
Hillis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2004, 04:49 AM   #26
Wildchild

Likes (Received): 3

Toronto definitely has some of the best Highways in North America.

I always love driving on the 401 when driving into the city and I always purposely drive to get on the Don Valley Parkway(best Expressway I've ever driven on) although best to drive at night.
The Gardiner is a great drive as well, hopefully once that area and strip becomes more developed and dense only then will that drive be even more amusing!! The view of the city entering from the Gardiner is very impressive nonetheless!!!
Wildchild no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2004, 05:31 AM   #27
GuilhermeC
BANNED

Wow these pictures are great. So many cars and lanes... just fantastic
I can't believe that even like that there are so many jams!
GuilhermeC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2004, 09:28 AM   #28
CrazyCanuck
MOD SQUAD

Likes (Received): 28

There are so many jams because suburbia has become like a plague that surrounds the city like the ring on a bathtub.They keep building and building, and the density is terribly weak. I wouldn't be surprised if my town, Ajax, holds the record for most houses, in the least amount of space. For such a small town, its ridiculous.
From the twon of ajax website"Ajax is a mid-sized community of about 67 square kilometres, with a rich heritage and diversity. In 2002, the population is estimated at 78,000 (estimated from the 2001 census figure of 73,753). This is an increase of about 15% since the census in 1996. In 2001 census, there were an estimated 23,642 homes in the town. " That is why there is still traffic jams, even on the worlds biggest highway.
Thanks Hillis, Pickering Village is very nice, too bad I don't live in that part, or any good part of the town for that matter.
CrazyCanuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2005, 01:34 AM   #29
djm19

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Kitty

The Santa Ana Freeway has 12 lanes. And there is an interchange (I-5/I-405 South) that has 24 lanes

But yeah, they alwaus seem to close them in at 6, and its never enough.
djm19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2005, 01:59 AM   #30
benji45

Likes (Received):

The freeways in LA are so damn confusing.
Old January 5th, 2005, 02:59 AM   #31
Bartolo

I cant wait for the provincial government to get itz ass in gera and build the 401 C/D to guelph
Bartolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 07:11 AM   #32
Homer J. Simpson

Likes (Received): 18

Weston Road is the next overpass.

The traffic on those highways are friggen insane. I live near Weston RD and the 401 and have NO love for those highways.

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." --John Stuart Mill

Special thanks to Ttownfeen for giving me the author of the quote above

To quote some wise men whos names I can not remember:

"Conservative politics is like masterbation, it takes a lot of jerking things around and only pays off for those who do it."
Homer J. Simpson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 09:52 AM   #33
EarlyBird

Likes (Received):

If there were roads like that near me I'd be depressed. A huge man-made scar on the landscape. Thank God for public transport!
Old January 5th, 2005, 11:27 PM   #34
Homer J. Simpson

Likes (Received): 18

^Yeah and thank god Toronto has great PT. A member from Toronto once said that the city would need 5 more large highways to handle the traffic that would exist as a result of not having the subway we currently have.

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." --John Stuart Mill

Special thanks to Ttownfeen for giving me the author of the quote above

To quote some wise men whos names I can not remember:

"Conservative politics is like masterbation, it takes a lot of jerking things around and only pays off for those who do it."
Homer J. Simpson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2005, 07:25 AM   #35
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartolo
I cant wait for the provincial government to get itz ass in gera and build the 401 C/D to guelph
There is absolutely no chance of Hwy 401 being 12-laned westwards from Mississauga in the next 40 or 50 years. The 401/407 interchange was built for a 10 lane (5 per direction) configurating for the 401. The MTO (Ontario's Department of Transportation) has only ever planned a C-D as far west as just west of Mississauga Road in 'sauga.

From what I understand, lane widenings west of the 407 to Milton should be taking place along the 401 in the next 4 or 5 years.

There are many road enthusiasts that would love to see a small C/D from Hwy 8 to Hwy 24 in Cambridge, however, I don't think anyone thinks that is too likely to happen.

Scott Steeves
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2005, 08:45 PM   #36
Khanabadosh

Likes (Received): 14

wonderful and amazing
Khanabadosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2005, 05:30 PM   #37
S K Y W A L K E R
a member from the galaxy

401/don mills

S K Y W A L K E R no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2005, 06:13 AM   #38
friendlyneighboor
BANNED

FANTABULOUS PICTURE<<<<<<<<<< Deserving of a new thread on its own!!

And say whatever you wish about the Chrysler Towers, I love'em!! The impact they have while driving on the 401 is phenomenal. Wish we would have a night time shot of the exact same vantage point.
friendlyneighboor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 09:30 PM   #39
algonquin

Likes (Received): 22

nice thread
algonquin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 09:45 PM   #40
LEAFS FANATIC
Μολών λαβέ

Likes (Received): 1366

No matter how nice these highways look, it still is not enough to rid Toronto of its insane congestion and rush-hours! I get on the 401 every frigging morning for work at Leslie St. and head west towards the Kipling/Belfield exit (just after the Islington exit). The ride is only 15 kilometers but it takes me one hour whether I take the Express lanes or Collector lanes. It is a friggin joke! No wonder there is so much road rage in this city! There are too many cars!!!

In my opinion we need twenty 401's to get rid of the shit that takes place on a daily basis for millions of drivers in Toronto.

And yes, I have been to LA. They have bad traffic there too, but it pales in comparison to Toronto's 401 and DVP!
LEAFS FANATIC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto