daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 15th, 2006, 11:51 PM   #381
Ohno

Likes (Received): 34

wow, pretty, especially the first one .
Ohno no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2006, 01:25 AM   #382
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

A few new Ontario Freeway photos for those interested:

Highway 7

Highway 8

Highway 11

Highway 420

Last edited by sonysnob; March 18th, 2014 at 04:38 PM.
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 05:17 AM   #383
Bertez

Likes (Received): 6

Very nice....but why no 409??
Old November 22nd, 2006, 12:30 AM   #384
Zaki
Joi Bangla

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoe View Post

Don Valley Parkway

Amazing. And to think this is right in the middle of Toronto. Toronto really is a very green city.
Zaki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 06:40 PM   #385
sonysnob

Highway 409:

Last edited by sonysnob; March 18th, 2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old November 24th, 2006, 02:58 AM   #386
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Great photos!

To whomever said that the quality of the highways isn't great (I know this is
a very old thread, but still):
It is no secret that most North American highways have inferior pavement
surfaces and maintenance than many Western European highways (particularly
the infamous German autobahns).
However, these highways have much more capacity and daily traffic than most
European highways, and, in the case of Ontario highways, they also endure
very harsh winter weather that very quickly wears the road surface.
Distances are also often much larger. Ontario's highway network, as can be
seen in the maps, is not very dense, but that's because most people live in
South Ontario (particularly Greater Toronto Area) in the Horseshoe region.
Old December 1st, 2006, 09:07 AM   #387
Nutterbug

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoe View Post

It is said that a rapid transit line carries the equivalent of 10 highway lanes.

Why haven't rapid transit lines been built along the corridors of these monstrosities?
Nutterbug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 11:03 AM   #388
Magic Night

Likes (Received): 0

I love the green and clutter-freeness.
Magic Night no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 03:25 AM   #389
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10378

I remember that my parents dreaded driving through 401 when in Toronto...the sheer scale and traffic was overwhelming...

The Don Valley Pkwy, when not congested, is a very nice ride down to Downtown. So green...
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 02:37 AM   #390
algonquin

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutterbug View Post
It is said that a rapid transit line carries the equivalent of 10 highway lanes.

Why haven't rapid transit lines been built along the corridors of these monstrosities?
The 400 series highways that run through Toronto, particularly the Hwy 400 and 401, exist primarily for regional transportation. The 401 alone serves Southern Ontario's massive manufacturing economy, and connects from Michigan to Quebec. The combination of these two highways serve as the only freeway option for travel, both East/West and North/South (with the exception of the 407 that bypasses Toronto).

While I am pro-transit, and would like to see more rapid transit lines in Toronto, they would not replace these highways or diminish their scale.
algonquin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 05:36 AM   #391
Nutterbug

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
The 400 series highways that run through Toronto, particularly the Hwy 400 and 401, exist primarily for regional transportation. The 401 alone serves Southern Ontario's massive manufacturing economy, and connects from Michigan to Quebec. The combination of these two highways serve as the only freeway option for travel, both East/West and North/South (with the exception of the 407 that bypasses Toronto).

While I am pro-transit, and would like to see more rapid transit lines in Toronto, they would not replace these highways or diminish their scale.
I'm sure they don't need that many lanes for commercial traffic, nor have anywhere near that many on the rural sections of those highways. I meant it's just the portions within the GTA with the really heavy traffic and the obscene number of lanes that could have been substituted with rapid transit.
Nutterbug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 07:01 AM   #392
sonysnob

Quote:
I'm sure they don't need that many lanes for commercial traffic, nor have anywhere near that many on the rural sections of those highways. I meant it's just the portions within the GTA with the really heavy traffic and the obscene number of lanes that could have been substituted with rapid transit.
I think Toronto could use additional transit lines, however as has been said, the traffic density on the areas highways probably wouldn't decrease substantially with them. Traffic volumes on the 401 have not decreased since the Sheppard Subway was opened, for example.
Old December 4th, 2006, 09:03 AM   #393
rt_0891

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Suburban Toronto is still too auto-centric for that to happen. There's just so many 400 series highways feeding into the 401. They include 404-DVP (Markham/Richmond Hill/Aurora/NewMarket), 400 (Vaughan to Barrie), 427/410 Mississauga/Brampton/Etobicoke, 403 Mississauga/Oakville.

Each of these highways serve a population that's greater than Surrey, and most of these suburbs in the 905 area sprawl worse than Surrey.
rt_0891 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 12:11 AM   #394
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

Likes (Received): 366

I'm surprised at the lack of traffic in a lot of the photos. If things are like that for the majority of the day then most of this system is overbuilt.
Calvin W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 12:16 AM   #395
rt_0891

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin W View Post
I'm surprised at the lack of traffic in a lot of the photos. If things are like that for the majority of the day then most of this system is overbuilt.
Nowadways, you'd be lucky if the roads are this clear on a Sunday. Usually, at least one part of the highway is closed for construction.
rt_0891 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 03:08 AM   #396
Grey Towers

Likes (Received): 45

I remember reading that the 401 through Toronto carries more than $1 Billion worth of goods per day, much of which heads to the world's busiest border crossing at Windsor/Detroit. Combine that volume with commuter traffic underserved by transit alternatives, and a highway this size is required. It's unfortunate Canada has such a limited rail capacity, or much of the truck freight could be put there.
Grey Towers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 12:26 AM   #397
mariokarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin W View Post
ya i wonder how long someone waited to get some of those pics.

As for replacing some lanes with public transit. A lot of those highways just carry to much regional and international traffic. The corridors which the freeways run through arn't the densist parts of the GTA themselves. Most of those cars' final destinations are not in close proximity (walking distance) to a freeway corridor, so putting public transit there might not even be sustainable.

Thats sort of the reason that freeways are built where they are. Because there is available and cheep space, and little (relatively) public opposition.
mariokarter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 01:23 AM   #398
degnaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt_0891 View Post
Suburban Toronto is still too auto-centric for that to happen.
The fact that the suburbs have more freeway than Toronto itself always bothers me. Downtown gets two 6-lane freeways (basically one through freeway), while places like York region have three or more 6-12 lane freeways without rapid transit (VIVA doesn't really count, yet).
degnaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 01:45 AM   #399
monkeyronin
Mơמkƹ͛ƴ∆ґơɲiɲ

Likes (Received): 876

Quote:
Originally Posted by degnaw View Post
The fact that the suburbs have more freeway than Toronto itself always bothers me. Downtown gets two 6-lane freeways (basically one through freeway), while places like York region have three or more 6-12 lane freeways without rapid transit (VIVA doesn't really count, yet).
We'ed rather not have a ton of 10 lane freeways cutting through dowtown, thank you. It makes sense for low density suburbs to have them all.
monkeyronin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 02:21 AM   #400
DrJoe
Registered Idiot

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by degnaw View Post
I realize that you are talking about downtown but the 401 does cut through northern Toronto. There were significant plans to surround downtown Toronto with freeways i.e. like US cities, thankfully it never happened.

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto