daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 28th, 2016, 09:47 PM   #4021
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

St. John's, Newfoundland

St. John's, Newfoundland has a highway project that has seen almost no progress in recent years, the 'Team Gushue Highway' (Highway 3A) that is a freeway-style bypass west of the city.

Construction started in 2011, and was planned for completion in 2014. The completion dates have been pushed backwards every year, and it seems an opening prior to 2019 is unlikely.

The provincial government budgeted $23 million towards the Team Gushue Highway extension project this fiscal year.

But only $975,000 of that has been spent to date, most of it on an overpass at Blackmarsh Road.

(...)

According to a December 2015 provincial government briefing note, the work at that time was 63 per cent complete.

The province says that percentage "has increased only marginally to slightly more than 63 per cent" over the past year.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...gain-1.3906650
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 1st, 2017, 06:41 PM   #4022
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

1985 documentary about the Coquihalla Highway in British Colombia, Canada

My Simcity Stuff

Stavros86 liked this post
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2017, 04:42 PM   #4023
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
I want to say that wasn't too recent but it is grooved. I remember 10 years ago thought what a lovely road that was, you would crest over the 540 underpasses going towards Montreal, and with such a wide expansive view of the land (and hiding places) you could kick it up to 160 or 200 km/h and sail nicely to the bridge. (I think it was done before the major reconstruction of A-40 on Montreal from St Charles to Decarie circa 2000, which isn't longitudinally grooved, or rather, not so deeply)

But the past couple of years, goddamn you think it was some road built by slaves under the Nazis and never since maintained (a-la DK 18...) The past few times I have driven that way I'm just swearing...
Mind you they finally finished a complete reconstruction of A-40 Ottawa-bound from St Charles to the bridge on the island, it is wonderful. The other side towards Montreal is like driving on the moon. Reminds me of the guy who hit a pothole on the 40 service road in this area and flipped the car over (!)
I am surprised they didn't do the eastbound lanes at the same time as the westbound lanes through there. I remember when they reconstructed the stretch further east through the A-13 interchange, they did both sides of the road more or less at the same time.
Old January 6th, 2017, 07:25 PM   #4024
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I watched episode two of Heavy Rescue: 401. It seems like an interesting show. The same style as Highway Thru Hell, but a different setting, on Ontario's 400-series highways.

This heavy rescue business is interesting. In Ontario it's about the huge traffic volume, lake-effect snow and big crashes, in Alberta it was those big industrial wrecks and British Columbia has the mountain towing and rescue business.
Old January 7th, 2017, 01:41 AM   #4025
sonysnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I watched episode two of Heavy Rescue: 401. It seems like an interesting show. The same style as Highway Thru Hell, but a different setting, on Ontario's 400-series highways.

This heavy rescue business is interesting. In Ontario it's about the huge traffic volume, lake-effect snow and big crashes, in Alberta it was those big industrial wrecks and British Columbia has the mountain towing and rescue business.
I needed a tow last summer from the side of the 400 when my car died last summer in Toronto. During the ride to my suburban office with the tow truck driver I asked him about 'Highway through Hell' and if he thought that it accurately portrayed the towing industry. He indicated that it generally did, and said that people had become generally more respectful of towing operators since the show started airing. The tow truck driver seemed to like the show as well, he was certainly more than willing to talk about it.
Old January 7th, 2017, 05:50 PM   #4026
sonysnob

Signage indicating the start of tolling along Hwy 407 and 412 in Ontario

pai nosso liked this post
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2017, 03:52 PM   #4027
ChrisZwolle
Road user

An October 2016 satellite image of the 407-412 interchange near Whitby, Ontario.

Old January 10th, 2017, 09:37 PM   #4028
trece verde

Likes (Received): 65

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...mera-1.3927089

Amazingly nobody was killed in this...
trece verde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 03:58 AM   #4029
NFZANMNIM

Likes (Received): 819

two links that are missing

Haljackey liked this post
NFZANMNIM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 05:22 AM   #4030
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

it's a bit odd since it looks trivially simple (even easier than your sketch) to make those movements... especially the north side

It also looks weird to see such complex, suburban interchanges in such a middle of nowhere place... it must look like the 407/400/7 area did when it opened
Old January 11th, 2017, 06:24 AM   #4031
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

As someone who needs to make that movement somewhat often, it's not that bad. You continue down lake ridge road to highway 7 then use the interchange there, it's really not much of a problem.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2017, 01:45 AM   #4032
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Ottawa et Fredericton annonceront 273 M$ pour la Route 11

PUBLIÉ IL Y A 13 MINUTES | Mis à jour il y a 11 minutes

Le gouvernement provincial a convié les médias en matinée pour deux annonces « importantes ». L’une à Bouctouche et l’autre à Miramichi. Des sources ont confirmé à Radio-Canada que la province et le fédéral injecteront au total 273 millions de dollars pour que la Route 11 soit doublée à quatre voies sur une distance de 20,6 km jusqu'au sud de la rivière de Bouctouche. Une voie d'évitement dans la région de Miramichi sera également construite.

Le premier ministre, Brian Gallant; le ministre des Transports et de l’Infrastructure, Bill Fraser; et le ministre fédéral des Pêches, des Océans et de La Garde côtière canadienne, Dominic LeBlanc, seront présents.

L’élargissement de la Route 11 est un sujet chaud au Nouveau-Brunswick depuis des décennies. Plusieurs gouvernements ont promis de l’élargir de Shediac jusqu’au nord de la province.

Le gouvernement progressiste-conservateur de Bernard Lord avait promis d'élargir la route à quatre voies sur 120 km. Les libéraux de Shawn Graham aussi.

En juillet 2015, la province avait annoncé des travaux allant jusqu’à 46,2 millions de dollars sur trois ans. Le gouvernement fédéral avait pour sa part annoncé un financement pouvant aller jusqu’à 27 millions de dollars.

En campagne électorale, tant les libéraux provinciaux de Brian Gallant que le Parti libéral du Canada ont promis un important projet d’infrastructure pour cette artère importante pour le développement économique du nord de la province.

En 2015, un rapport gouvernemental avançait que l'achalandage à certains endroits le long de la route est insuffisant pour justifier l'élargissement.

Même le plan du gouvernement progressiste-conservateur de David Alward de doubler la voie seulement de Shediac à Bouctouche, adopté par les libéraux de Brian Gallant, a été remis en question dans ce rapport.

Selon les études, la circulation dans les environs de Bouctouche s'élève à 7130 véhicules par jour, alors que le nombre nécessaire pour justifier une route à quatre voies est établi à 8000, selon les politiques du gouvernement.

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/...ur-la-route-11

Google translate version:

Quote:
The provincial government invited the media in the morning for two "important" announcements. One in Bouctouche and the other in Miramichi. Sources have confirmed to the CBC that the province and the federal government will inject a total of $ 273 million so that Route 11 will be doubled to four lanes for a distance of 20.6 km south of the Bouctouche River. A siding in the Miramichi area will also be constructed.

The Prime Minister, Brian Gallant; Transport and Infrastructure Minister Bill Fraser; And Dominic LeBlanc, Federal Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and Canadian Coast Guard.

The widening of Route 11 has been a hot topic in New Brunswick for decades. Several governments have promised to extend it from Shediac to the north of the province.

The Progressive Conservative government of Bernard Lord promised to extend the four-lane road for 120 km. The Liberals of Shawn Graham, too.

By July 2015, the province had announced up to $ 46.2 million over three years. The federal government had announced funding of up to $ 27 million.

During the election campaign, both the provincial Liberals of Brian Gallant and the Liberal Party of Canada promised a major infrastructure project for this important artery for the economic development of the north of the province.

In 2015, a government report argued that ridership at some places along the road is insufficient to justify enlargement.

Even the plan of David Alward's Progressive Conservative government to double the way only from Shediac to Bouctouche, adopted by the Liberals of Brian Gallant, has been questioned in this report.

According to studies, traffic in the vicinity of Bouctouche amounts to 7130 vehicles per day, whereas the number needed to justify a four-lane highway is set at 8000, according to government policies.
By my count this is more of a 25km project, if it runs right from the Bouctouche River. Very low AADT for such a project, though the maritimes seems to build a lot of very low AADT motorways.
Old January 13th, 2017, 06:32 PM   #4033
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
I needed a tow last summer from the side of the 400 when my car died last summer in Toronto. During the ride to my suburban office with the tow truck driver I asked him about 'Highway through Hell' and if he thought that it accurately portrayed the towing industry. He indicated that it generally did, and said that people had become generally more respectful of towing operators since the show started airing. The tow truck driver seemed to like the show as well, he was certainly more than willing to talk about it.
HEAVY RESCUE: 401 Premiere is Most-Watched in Discovery History

An audience of nearly 720,000 people tuned in to watch the Jan. 3 debut of Discovery’s newest original Canadian series HEAVY RESCUE: 401, it was confirmed today, making it the most-watched premiere in the network’s 22-year history. To date, more than 3.3 million unique viewers – or nearly one in 10 Canadians – have tuned in to the first episode.
http://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/hea...overy-history/

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

sonysnob liked this post
Old January 21st, 2017, 12:47 AM   #4034
sonysnob

Video of the Ottawa Queensway at dusk:

Cricket_Fan, Luki_SL liked this post
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 03:54 PM   #4035
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10966

Quote:
HEAVY RESCUE: 401 Premiere is Most-Watched in Discovery History

An audience of nearly 720,000 people tuned in to watch the Jan. 3 debut of Discovery’s newest original Canadian series HEAVY RESCUE: 401, it was confirmed today, making it the most-watched premiere in the network’s 22-year history. To date, more than 3.3 million unique viewers – or nearly one in 10 Canadians – have tuned in to the first episode.
http://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/hea...overy-history/
Is that show broadcast outside Canada?

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 04:45 PM   #4036
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I don't know, but I watched it anyway
Old January 23rd, 2017, 10:17 PM   #4037
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Nova Scotia

Tolling has been proposed to twin multipe stretches of the 100-series highways for some time now.

A viability study has been completed to twin 8 segments of Highways 101, 104 & 107 using tolls.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3198960/to...lier-province/

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Innsertnamehere, pai nosso liked this post
Old January 24th, 2017, 07:37 PM   #4038
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Beautiful Saskatchewan

I haven't heard of this term before. A 'Texas Gate'.

Ices77, Jschmuck, pai nosso liked this post
Old January 25th, 2017, 05:33 PM   #4039
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

http://www.infrastructureontario.ca/...427-Expansion/

Preferred Proponent Selected for Highway 427 Expansion

Quote:
TORONTO -Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and the Ministry of Transportation (MTO) have selected LINK 427 as the preferred proponent to design, build, finance and maintain the Highway 427 Expansion project.

LINK 427's team includes:

Developer: ACS Infrastructure Canada Inc. and Miller Infrastructure
Construction: Dragados Canada Inc., Miller Infrastructure and Bot Infrastructure Ltd.
Design: MMM Group Ltd. and Thurber Engineering Ltd.
Maintenance: ACS Infrastructure Canada Inc. and Miller Infrastructure
The selection of LINK 427 is the result of an open, fair and competitive procurement process overseen by a third party fairness advisor.

IO and MTO will now begin finalizing contract details with LINK 427. The project cost and schedule are expected to be announced in March 2017, with design and construction to begin shortly after.

The Highway 427 Expansion project includes a new 6.6-kilometre extension from Highway 7 to Major Mackenzie Drive and a 4-kilometre road widening from Finch Avenue to Highway 7.

Ontario is making the largest infrastructure investment in hospitals, schools, public transit, roads and bridges in the province's history. To learn more about what's happening in your community, go to Ontario.ca/BuildON.

Quick Facts:

The Highway 427 Expansion is the fourth major highway project delivered by IO and MTO through the Alternative Financing and Procurement (AFP) model. Projects that are delivered using IO's AFP model have a track record of being 96 per cent on budget to date.
Highway 427 and its assets will remain publicly owned and controlled.

Luki_SL liked this post
Old January 27th, 2017, 03:53 AM   #4040
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

Likes (Received): 366

Quote:
Beautiful Saskatchewan

I haven't heard of this term before. A 'Texas Gate'.
I'll let it slide since you put the smiley, otherwise you might have copped a heap from me about your wording.

zyxwvutsrqponmlkjihgfedcba
Calvin W no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto