daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 4th, 2017, 08:24 PM   #4061
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket_Fan View Post
I can understand why they're not doing it. Widening to 6 lanes isn't just as simple as filling in the median. I am not sure the median is wide enough across the entire length from Tilbury to London to support 2 lanes, a concrete barrier and shoulders (the current shoulders are nearly non existent on that stretch). They might have also to reconstruct or widen overhead bridges. The traffic isn't nearly enough to justify 6 lanes, though I suppose there's always the argument about trucks.

I am personally looking forward to this entire stretch getting reconstructed -- the road is in terrible shape. There's still no word on parts of the stretch between Chatham and Elgin County.
The design study for the first phase of reconstruction through Elgin County was commenced last August:

http://hwy401reconstruction.ca/about-part-b/

Sponsored Links
Old February 4th, 2017, 08:25 PM   #4062
Cricket_Fan

Likes (Received): 1115

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
The design study for the first phase of reconstruction through Elgin County was commenced last August:

http://hwy401reconstruction.ca/about-part-b/
Right, and we might have a contract issued this year (hopefully). But I am more concerned about Currie Rd to Victoria Rd (Eastbound) and Currie Rd to Drake Rd (Westbound). Absolutely nothing on that so far.
Cricket_Fan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2017, 08:27 PM   #4063
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

According to Ontario Provincial Highways Traffic Volumes On Demand, the daily traffic on the 401 in that area is only some 20,000 vehicles per day.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2017, 08:32 PM   #4064
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
I can understand why they're not doing it. Widening to 6 lanes isn't just as simple as filling in the median. I am not sure the median is wide enough across the entire length from Tilbury to London to support 2 lanes, a concrete barrier and shoulders (the current shoulders are nearly non existent on that stretch). They might have also to reconstruct or widen overhead bridges. The traffic isn't nearly enough to justify 6 lanes, though I suppose there's always the argument about trucks..
they're reconstructing the whole carriageway though, so surely it's easy... they can just widen opposite to median too and if necessary pinch shoulders at (old) structures... especially since they're using concrete which one would hope to last a long time...

or at less expense, remove the truck speed limiter law and go back like it was in the good old days...
Old February 4th, 2017, 08:36 PM   #4065
sonysnob

Quote:
Right, and we might have a contract issued this year (hopefully). But I am more concerned about Currie Rd to Victoria Rd (Eastbound) and Currie Rd to Drake Rd (Westbound). Absolutely nothing on that so far.
I doubt they'll be any construction this year for anything in Elgin County. This year, the eastbound lanes are going to be reconstructed through Tilbury easterly, as well as one of the carriageways through the Highway 40 interchange. I'd suspect the work closer to London will take place starting either in 2018 or 2019, but the entire project probably won't be done until 2025 or so.

Cricket_Fan liked this post
sonysnob está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2017, 08:42 PM   #4066
Cricket_Fan

Likes (Received): 1115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
they're reconstructing the whole carriageway though, so surely it's easy... they can just widen opposite to median too and if necessary pinch shoulders at (old) structures... especially since they're using concrete which one would hope to last a long time...

or at less expense, remove the truck speed limiter law and go back like it was in the good old days...
I suspect it's due to unavailability of funding to support that. If it were up to me and with enough funding available, I'd have widened that stretch along with the reconstruction. But they're pouring a lot of money in Cambridge, Milton, Mississauga for widening 401 as well, highway 69, 407, etc, which are definitely higher priority (except maybe highway 69).
Cricket_Fan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2017, 08:56 PM   #4067
sonysnob

It'll be interesting to see what other funding commitments materialize this year. This year's five year plan will be the final five year plan released before the 2018 provincial election. It wouldn't be shocking of the government "finds" funding for a project or two in a hotly contested riding before next year.

Kanadzie liked this post
Old February 4th, 2017, 10:07 PM   #4068
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

They usually announce a project or two every year. Last Years big one was the Morriston Bypass.

The one I think really needs funding is the 417 extension to Renfrew. That would be a great addition.

What I do think we will see is some more 401 widening projects from Cambridge to Milton, as well as an additional 400 widening from King Road to Highway 9. MTO is clearly moving towards doing both of those, but is just staging them over a longer timeframe.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2017, 10:18 PM   #4069
sonysnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
They usually announce a project or two every year. Last Years big one was the Morriston Bypass.

The one I think really needs funding is the 417 extension to Renfrew. That would be a great addition.

What I do think we will see is some more 401 widening projects from Cambridge to Milton, as well as an additional 400 widening from King Road to Highway 9. MTO is clearly moving towards doing both of those, but is just staging them over a longer timeframe.
But periodically there are surprises. For example, the 401 widening through Cobourg was never included in the five year plan. Neither was the phase 2A of the 417 Extension west of Arnprior.

I wouldn't expect another 417 extension contract to materialize this year. The Ottawa Valley votes conservative, there'd be no reason to try and buy votes with the project. An announcement to convert the Thunder Bay Expressway to a freeway could be a possibility though

If, however, the conservatives win in 2018, I'd expect to see a renewed focus on Hwy 417 up the Ottawa Valley, likely at the expense of further twinning projects along Highway 11/17 in the Thunder Bay region.

Here's the 2012 5 year plan as a reference:
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/hig...-2012-2016.pdf

Last edited by sonysnob; February 4th, 2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old February 5th, 2017, 09:22 PM   #4070
sonysnob

Some photos of Autoroute 15 in suburban Montreal. Autoroute 15 is the principal freeway north-south freeway through Montreal:

The entire collection of images:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/PQ/A/15/Page3.html
Old February 5th, 2017, 09:36 PM   #4071
Kanadzie

nice pictures

The A-15 / A-40 interchange (1st picture) was the first true freeway-freeway interchange in Quebec, opening in 1959
It was heavily reconstructed over the past few years to move some ramps around, for example the 40-W / 15-N is now a right-hand exit instead of left.
The construction work had been ongoing for years, and the variable message signs in the area had been advertising the change of exit lane for weeks and still, when they closed the left-exit and opened the right-exit traffic was screwed up for weeks

When I last drove the 15 northbound around last Christmas I noticed they had installed fixed speed cameras before the bridge over the Mille-Iles river, the bastards.
A similar camera has been fitted in the "whiskey trench" of R-138 eastbound after the Mercier Bridge as well, where once everyone rolled a comfortable 110-120 km/h it is now a sea of brake lights and turbulent flow as the sign shows only MAX 70

Last edited by Kanadzie; February 5th, 2017 at 09:42 PM.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2017, 09:46 PM   #4072
sonysnob

^ There are fixed speed cameras on Autoroute 15 southbound approaching the Autoroute 640 interchange now too. At least the speed limit is 100 at A-640 and not 70 like it is on Route 138.

I was kind of tolerant of speed cameras in construction zones, less so on other roads, particularly ones with ridiculous speed limits.
Old February 5th, 2017, 09:53 PM   #4073
Kanadzie

the worst is we see how it kind of goes by a thousand cuts...

Initially (middle Seventies) QC put the cameras everywhere rapidly, everyone was angered and the government got thrown out and cameras followed (basically repeated 15 years later with Rae and Harris in Ont.)

Then about 7 years ago they said they'd put some cameras in "dangerous spots" with warning signange and people more or less acquiesced, like the A-15 south at Atwater... tempo 70 but most of the day you can only sit and wish you could drive so fast as that.

Now they are more daring so they have installed cameras in such areas as you mention and the warning sign reduced to a triviality only someone with trained eyes would see (certainly I found the total lack of a distance indication an issue). Amusingly it's the Quebec Liberals who had this initiative both in the 70's and now...

And Ontario now moving the same way...
Old February 8th, 2017, 08:53 PM   #4074
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

I find it interesting that car insurance in British Columbia (and perhaps all of Canada?) are mandated through a government agency: Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC).
By law, any vehicle registered and driven or parked on public streets in British Columbia must purchase ICBC's basic insurance package from an independent broker. This basic coverage, called "Autoplan," includes protection from third party legal liability, under-insured motorist protection, accident benefits, hit-and-run protection, and inverse liability.

At the time the Corporation was established, it held a monopoly on automobile insurance in the province, but in recent years private insurance firms have been permitted to offer optional additional coverage, such as extended liability, collision, and comprehensive plans.

While ICBC continues to hold a monopoly on basic insurance, it has chosen to offer optional additional coverage, in competition with these firms.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insura...itish_Columbia

In the Netherlands a third-party liability insurance is mandated by the government, but it is not involved in offering insurances themselves, you have to insure your car at a private insurance company for liability only, or better coverage.

Also, the Wikipedia text suggests that until 'recent years' you could not insure your car for a better coverage than third-party liability, until the option became available to take up a full coverage insurance by a private insurance firm?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 09:42 PM   #4075
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10966

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
I have to say that I really don't agree with that sentiment. Tolling at a rate of 5 cents per kilometre doesn't seem like a significant tax burden, and if tolling is the difference between building the infrastructure vs. not building the infrastructure, than I'd say tolling it seems like a no brainer.
Rural NS is quite poor and those people typically drive up to 80km each way daily. That's $8/day or another $2000/year. They're already spending a lot on gas. It will be the difference between viable and not viable for a lot of people.

These towns lost rail service a few decades ago then bus service ended. Tolling their last piece of transportation infrastructure could be the final nail in the coffin. What makes sense in southern Ontario doesn't necessarily make sense in NS outside of Halifax.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; February 8th, 2017 at 10:01 PM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 11:46 PM   #4076
sonysnob

^ I don't necessarily disagree with that sentiment, however I think it ignores the fact that better road improvements often do generate economic growth.

Not tolling is the same as doing nothing, so no changes to the communities.

Building roadway improvements through general gas taxes == everybody who drive MUST pay more.

Building roadway improvements through tolling == some people pay more, not everyone is forced to pay more.

Obviously that's an over simplification of the problem, but I think just saying that everyone is poor so we can't do anything is probably just sticking your head in the sand.
Old February 9th, 2017, 12:18 AM   #4077
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I find it interesting that car insurance in British Columbia (and perhaps all of Canada?) are mandated through a government agency: Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC).
By law, any vehicle registered and driven or parked on public streets in British Columbia must purchase ICBC's basic insurance package from an independent broker. This basic coverage, called "Autoplan," includes protection from third party legal liability, under-insured motorist protection, accident benefits, hit-and-run protection, and inverse liability.

At the time the Corporation was established, it held a monopoly on automobile insurance in the province, but in recent years private insurance firms have been permitted to offer optional additional coverage, such as extended liability, collision, and comprehensive plans.

While ICBC continues to hold a monopoly on basic insurance, it has chosen to offer optional additional coverage, in competition with these firms.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insura...itish_Columbia

In the Netherlands a third-party liability insurance is mandated by the government, but it is not involved in offering insurances themselves, you have to insure your car at a private insurance company for liability only, or better coverage.

Also, the Wikipedia text suggests that until 'recent years' you could not insure your car for a better coverage than third-party liability, until the option became available to take up a full coverage insurance by a private insurance firm?

Its not canada wide. Ontario has private insurance and its insanely expensive. Coming out of university adult males with a clean record and 5 years with a full licence are looking at roughly $300CAD a month to insure a new small car. My understanding is that insurance in BC would be about half of that with ICBC.

BC and I think Saskatchewan are the only provinces with public insurance.

The most interesting public company in canada in my opinions are telecoms. Manitoba and Saskatchewan have crown corporation cell service providers - and conveniently have cell plans that seem to go at 60% of those in the rest of the country. Private companies still provide services in those provinces, but the rates the crown corps offer force them to cut rates to compete.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2017, 02:53 AM   #4078
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Ontario has private insurance and its insanely expensive. Coming out of university adult males with a clean record and 5 years with a full licence are looking at roughly $300CAD a month to insure a new small car.
This. I got my license as soon as I turned 16, finished school and waited until I was 25 to get my own (new) car. Not doing any one things would have made my rates insanely expensive.
-Owning winter tires also gives me a 5% discount (pretty much pays for the costs to have someone put on and take off the tires every year).

It also varies widely where you live. Right now the highest rate is in Brampton. A friend of mine who works in the auto insurance industry works on a lot of claims from there and calls the city Brangledesh.

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2017, 03:18 AM   #4079
Kanadzie

Quebec has a split private/public insurance system

The government-run obligatory insurance covers medical expenses from traffic accidents only, while the obligatory private-sector insurance is third-party liability for damage to material goods only (e.g. other cars, houses, lamp pole etc)

It usually ends up being that the Quebec insurance is much much cheaper than the Ontarian, but the Quebec charges a large fee for vehicle registration/medical insurance. In the case of motorcycles, especially so-called "sport" motorcycles, this fee can be rather outrageous (up to ca. 2 500 CAD/annum for registration vs. something like 40 CAD in Ontario, whereas for a typical passenger car, it would be ca. $300 vs $125)

Ontario in particular seems to suffer from a lot of insurance fraud (e.g. fake whiplash) driving up costs, and it has been a political issue for some time (governments go and say, we will reduce car insurance rates!, but not much happens)

it is somewhat curious and strange that Canada with single-payer socialized medicine system does not cover bodily injuries from traffic accidents, which are charged to vehicle insurers... whereas if, say, you fell off a ladder, the health insurance would pay. Notably, the statutory requirement to carry insurance while driving predates the various Canadian healthcare schemes, and so the government surely didn't want to spend more money than it had to...
Old February 16th, 2017, 04:35 PM   #4080
sonysnob

MTO has published a request for proposal for a consultant assignment for the needs assessment, planning and preliminary design study of a potential alternate access across the Nipigon River in Northwestern Ontario:

Quote:
Terms of Reference - Project Specific
Version 8.1
May 2016
Needs Assessment, Planning and Preliminary Design Study of a
Potential Alternate Access across the Nipigon River, Highway 11/17,
Nipigon
GWP 6124-16-00
Assignment Number: 5016-E-0036

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto