daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 15th, 2017, 01:31 AM   #4101
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

I always wondered about that road. They were studying it as part of the Mid-Pen, then the Liberals studied it and said, oh, Mid-Pen is not needed but this road is specifically
but it seems almost like it is the least-important part of it...

Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2017, 02:12 AM   #4102
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

^ Yeah, I don't get the excitement for the far eastern leg of the MidPen either. Both Welland, and Port Colborne could really use some new economic growth, but it doesn't seem to me like access to the QEW is really all that difficult as is. Certainly Hwy 3 is a good road that's already mostly four lanes already, and none of the regional roads are really all that inefficient.
Old March 15th, 2017, 09:14 PM   #4103
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Cobequid Pass

The tolls at Cobequid Pass (Nova Scotia Highway 104) may be coming to an end in 2020, the media reports. When built in 1997, it was anticipated that the toll would be collected for 30 years until the debt has been paid off. Now that revenues are higher than forecasted, the Cobequid Pass may become de-tolled by 2020.

http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/light-at-...cted-1.3323317

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Ices77 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 10:54 PM   #4104
Ryme Intrinseca

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
The 403 / 6 "north" interchange isn't really that bad though. Until the overpasses start dropping concrete Turcot style, how could any investment (considering we are talking millions) be justified?
I find the cultural aspect of this fascinating. In probably most of the US this kind of directional interchange with offside entries/exits is completely normal and no one bats an eyelid. But to my British eyes and it seems to Canadian ones, an offside entry/exit is a scarily substandard bit of infrastructure.

There's a similar thing going on with cloverleafs, which are a cardinal sin in the UK or California, but de rigueur in Germany or the Midwest.
Ryme Intrinseca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 11:21 PM   #4105
sonysnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryme Intrinseca View Post
I find the cultural aspect of this fascinating. In probably most of the US this kind of directional interchange with offside entries/exits is completely normal and no one bats an eyelid. But to my British eyes and it seems to Canadian ones, an offside entry/exit is a scarily substandard bit of infrastructure.

There's a similar thing going on with cloverleafs, which are a cardinal sin in the UK or California, but de rigueur in Germany or the Midwest.
^ I don't know if that's really a fair sentiment to make broad reaching cultural observations after reading a complaint about a single interchange.

The 6/403 interchange carries a heavy volume of traffic and isn't geometrically very forgiving. Opened in 1963, The 403/6 interchange is one of the oldest (if not the oldest) remaining freeway to freeway interchanges in Southern Ontario.

I don't hear the same complaints about the left exits and entrances for the 407 ramps at the Freeman interchange to the east, or about the 416/417 interchange in Ottawa either. Both of which are much better designed, even though they still feature left exits and entrances.

Last edited by sonysnob; March 15th, 2017 at 11:44 PM.
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 11:57 PM   #4106
Ryme Intrinseca

That's why I said 'it seems'.
Old March 16th, 2017, 12:21 AM   #4107
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

I've always thought that the 402 should have been extended past London and gone to Welland/Ft.Erie. Running it further eastward it would travel between London and St,Thomas and continue roughly parallel to HWY#3 running thru to Alymer/Tilsonburg/Simcoe/Dehi and on to Welland.

It would relieve traffic on the 401 between the 402 & 403 thru Greater London, offer a vital alternative route to the truck overburdened 401, and serve communities that have no freeway service. It would also help spark development in a region of the province which is often overlooked.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 03:01 AM   #4108
VoltAmps

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryme Intrinseca View Post

I'm from the US and I'm the one that pointed out how substandard it looks...and its in Canada
VoltAmps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 05:02 PM   #4109
Ryme Intrinseca

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltAmps View Post
I'm from the US and I'm the one that pointed out how substandard it looks...and its in Canada
As I say, familiarity with this kind of configuration would be regional within the US as well. I-64 alone has a dozen or so, e.g.:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@37.79...79.3966154,15z
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@38.27...88.9315383,15z
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@37.73...81.1936795,15z

But in some parts of the country you might never encounter one.

Last edited by Ryme Intrinseca; March 16th, 2017 at 05:27 PM.
Old March 16th, 2017, 05:38 PM   #4110
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Yup. The US eastern seaboard generally has a lot older highways that are more substandard than those out west.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 05:46 PM   #4111
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

In that aspect, the difference between the freeway systems of Montréal and Toronto is quite striking.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Kanadzie liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 10:36 PM   #4112
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Info about the Highway 427 extension north of Toronto:
http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2017/03/...ontract-signed

616 million to expand 4km of existing highway, and build 6.6km of new highway.

The extension is shorter than I hoped. I am hopeful it is designed for another potential extension in mind.

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2017, 01:22 AM   #4113
Kanadzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
In that aspect, the difference between the freeway systems of Montréal and Toronto is quite striking.
It's valid but worth noting the Toronto freeway system is rather "second-generation" or beyond. For example the initial 4 / 6 lane Hwy 401 with cloverleafs and the ludicrous interchange at the (4-lane) Hwy 27 and the Airport Expressway was not at all like it is now

However, Montreal's freeway network is essentially as-built, though the Hwy 20 through western Montreal was a slow upgrade of a previous road. Even then, recently they removed a left exit / entrance on the Hwy 40 / 15 N interchange.

There has been some insane events in Montreal and regions by the way. Central Canada got some snow in the past few days. A-13 near the Dorval Airport in Montreal got snow enough that people were stranded on the highway, in the middle of a major city for 13-14 hours (!). A truck carrying hydroflouric acid along Hwy 401 near Gananoque crashed and everyone nearby was evacuated and sent to hospital (!). Several people have died inside snow-blocked cars on roads :o

People are comparing it to the previous "storm of the century" in March 1971 which dumped 48 cm of snow over Montreal and caused considerable chaos (and memories...)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...tuck-1.4025860
http://montrealgazette.com/news/loca...montreal-storm
http://montrealgazette.com/news/scen...-of-march-2017

Last edited by Kanadzie; March 17th, 2017 at 03:18 AM.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2017, 01:26 AM   #4114
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

^The 400 is largely in first generation condition right now, for example, and a lot of the interchanges are pretty poor. They are disappearing every year now though as MTO upgrades the highway, finally.

Same thing with the 401 through Durham.

Most of Toronto's highways have been extensively widened since opening, allowing highway engineers to correct previous design mistakes. The ones that haven't, such as the DVP, retain these poor features. The DVP has the only cloverleaf in the city and has some pretty crappy geometry.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2017, 03:07 AM   #4115
Kanadzie

True, but the MTO has some kind of fatwa against cloverleaf interchanges and removed all of them on 400 (mostly just neutering the ramps, and Toronto did the same to most of the DVP)

It's somewhat curious thinking about the situation of cloverleafs in Ontario. They built many of them, poorly designed in general (with several notable exceptionally bad ones, like QEW/Thorold Stone Rd) and then went aggressively getting rid of them. In Quebec, there are several major cloverleaf interchanges but built later, with good geometry and C/D lanes, and they are essentially fine (e.g. those along A-440 in Laval, though the 13/440 backs up in the west/south direction due to the lack of 440 extension). Maybe only one cloverleaf was good, being the QEW / Hurontario until lately, or the 401/62 in Belleville which doesn't have enough traffic to really need any modification...
Old March 17th, 2017, 03:28 AM   #4116
sonysnob

I think a lot of the lack of cloverleafs on MTO's roads has to do with the network that has been designed. The MTO has generally fewer, but larger, and busier roads than is typical of Montreal and its suburbs. Because of this, the junctions between the freeways are busier and need to carry traffic volumes far greater than what could be adequately handled by a cloverleaf.

Furthermore, accessibility requirements means that right turn tapers at the end of the off-ramp at the intersection with a surface road have generally fallen out of favour with the MTO, which further reduces the desirability of cloverleafs between two roads where both of them aren't freeways.
Old March 17th, 2017, 02:36 PM   #4117
Ryme Intrinseca

Indeed, the six ramp parclo widely used in Ontario is generally arranged so only the two left turn onramps are significantly tapered. See, e.g., here on the 407:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@43.82.../data=!3m1!1e3

This design only has two freeflow turns compared to 4-6 in a more traffic-optimized parclo like this in Florida. For accessibility and perhaps also cost reasons, the Ontario-type design is far more common.

Last edited by Ryme Intrinseca; March 17th, 2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old March 17th, 2017, 02:47 PM   #4118
Ryme Intrinseca

[duplicate]

Last edited by Ryme Intrinseca; March 17th, 2017 at 02:52 PM.
Old March 17th, 2017, 11:46 PM   #4119
sonysnob

^ By "accessibility" I was referring to the "Accessibility for Ontarian's with Disabilities Act" (AODA) which for whatever reason has been interpreted as not being in favour of direct ramps from freeway off-ramps. The rationale isn't necessarily due to traffic operations but pedestrian safety as outlined in the AODA.
Old March 18th, 2017, 12:37 AM   #4120
Ryme Intrinseca

Exactly my point - the Ontario-type arrangement is superior for pedestrians as it only has two high speed ramps rather than 4-6.

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto