daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 28th, 2017, 06:44 AM   #4181
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

MTO has been spending a ton of money on replacing their older system bridges, they have a lot of them from the 1950's that are all going at the same time. Lots of work on the 401 and 400 replacing them all.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2017, 05:45 PM   #4182
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Ramp demolition in downtown Toronto

Via http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads....21786/page-16

My Simcity Stuff

Luki_SL, makaveli6, tigerleapgorge liked this post
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2017, 02:02 AM   #4183
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quebec's Ministry of Transport has announced plans to build a new Mercier Bridge, replacing the 1934 structure ("westbound route 138" but often described as "southbound"). The bridge will be built alongside and after completion of the new Champlain Bridge project to limit traffic impact (it will be huge anyway)

The bridge has a complex history and ownership structure. It was built as a single-carriageway bridge in 1934 by the federal government, transferred to the province during the war, then elongated and raised by the federal government as part of the Seaway project, and a second span built. The federal government has done a refurbishment of their section of the bridge (over the Seaway and the south shore approach ramps) over the past 10 years approximately. However the Province has been tardy of repairing "their" section and it is an a tenous condition for many years now, particularly the original 1934 structure. Notably, the narrow lanes existing due to the 1930's design standard are further reduced by the installation of steel Jersey-like barriers as the original guardrails are not anchored to the concrete anymore due to rust and damage.

MTQ website (FR)
https://www.transports.gouv.qc.ca/fr...e-mercier.aspx

Infographic (in French)
https://www.transports.gouv.qc.ca/fr...nstruction.pdf

Last edited by Kanadzie; May 1st, 2017 at 02:10 AM.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2017, 02:47 AM   #4184
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Quebec's Ministry of Transport has announced plans to build a new Mercier Bridge, replacing the 1934 structure ("westbound route 138" but often described as "southbound"). The bridge will be built alongside and after completion of the new Champlain Bridge project to limit traffic impact (it will be huge anyway)

The bridge has a complex history and ownership structure. It was built as a single-carriageway bridge in 1934 by the federal government, transferred to the province during the war, then elongated and raised by the federal government as part of the Seaway project, and a second span built. The federal government has done a refurbishment of their section of the bridge (over the Seaway and the south shore approach ramps) over the past 10 years approximately. However the Province has been tardy of repairing "their" section and it is an a tenous condition for many years now, particularly the original 1934 structure. Notably, the narrow lanes existing due to the 1930's design standard are further reduced by the installation of steel Jersey-like barriers as the original guardrails are not anchored to the concrete anymore due to rust and damage.

MTQ website (FR)
https://www.transports.gouv.qc.ca/fr...e-mercier.aspx

Infographic (in French)
https://www.transports.gouv.qc.ca/fr...nstruction.pdf
reassuring to see they are going to replace the bridge before it falls into the river on its own.
Old May 1st, 2017, 02:59 AM   #4185
Kanadzie

not so fast, it's only the 1934 structure
The 1962 structure has dumped a few sections of its roadway into the drink a few times now, too

The anglophone media is starting to report too
http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/300-milli...idge-1.3391450

It is kind of interesting how slow the MTQ has been on the issue.
For example see this 2012 report that basically said the "repair and maintain" option of the 1934 span was impractical.
http://globalnews.ca/news/233137/mer...nsport-quebec/
Old May 1st, 2017, 03:17 AM   #4186
sonysnob

^ It'll be interesting to see exactly what gets built. If they leave the 1934 bridge in place while they construct the new bridge, the final alignment will have to be kind of off-kilter because they'll still have to tie into the pre-existing federal portion of the bridge.

The announcement is pretty soft on actual details.
Old May 1st, 2017, 04:07 PM   #4187
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Quote:
Province Investing $390 Million to Twin and Improve Safety
Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal

April 26, 2017 10:35 AM

The additional $390 million will allow the province to add three sections of twinned 100-series highways to the existing highway plan. Government will also build the Burnside Connector. All four projects will be complete within seven years.

The four projects are:
-- Highway 101, Three Mile Plains to Falmouth, including the Windsor Causeway, 9.5 kilometres
-- Highway 103, Tantallon to Hubbards, 22 kilometres
-- Highway 104, Sutherlands River to Antigonish, including Barneys River, 38 kilometres
-- construction of the four-lane, divided Burnside Connector (Highway 107) between Burnside to Bedford, 8.7 kilometres.
https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20170426003

All in all a pretty big expansion of the Nova Scotia freeway network.

isaidso, EasySeven liked this post
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2017, 04:33 PM   #4188
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10964

Is there a map of Nova Scotia showing what is presently twinned + the expansion of the twinned network?

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2017, 01:08 AM   #4189
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

I like how IKEA's location is indicated. Its the only thing labelled besides the roads themselves.

My Simcity Stuff

Kanadzie, NFZANMNIM liked this post
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2017, 02:10 AM   #4190
Kanadzie

it's all that's there

NS has a surprisingly good roads network. Even the 2-lane sections of the "100" roads are generally in good condition, well-designed (limited access, etc) and adequate for the traffic flow. There's definitely a better situation than even a place like Ontario (with either geometrically crappy 2-lanes like #17 or woefully congested despite large capacity 12 lane motorways), though of course the cost of the NS highway network is rather low in comparison. The only real screwy thing is the "circumferential beltway" in Halifax that isn't a circle nor could reasonably become one
Old May 2nd, 2017, 02:23 AM   #4191
sonysnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
it's all that's there

NS has a surprisingly good roads network. Even the 2-lane sections of the "100" roads are generally in good condition, well-designed (limited access, etc) and adequate for the traffic flow. There's definitely a better situation than even a place like Ontario (with either geometrically crappy 2-lanes like #17 or woefully congested despite large capacity 12 lane motorways), though of course the cost of the NS highway network is rather low in comparison. The only real screwy thing is the "circumferential beltway" in Halifax that isn't a circle nor could reasonably become one
I'd disagree with that. While there are certainly sections of geometrically crappy sections of Highway 17 (east of Sudbury is a particularly noteworthy candidate), much of Highway 17 is actually fairly well built.

Super-2's often aren't great roadway designs because they encourage drivers to drive on them like they are actually freeways, despite the fact that they don't have the safety benefits of conventional freeways. In general, one would expect an at-grade well designed road (such as Highway 24 south of the 403) to operate with a lower accident rate, and less severe collisions than a comparable super 2 highway.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 07:48 AM   #4192
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10964

I agree with Kanadzie. Nova Scotia has better highway infrastructure than Ontario for the population it serves. There are way more km of 4 lane divided highway than you'd expect and the system that exists is better designed.

Most of the highways in and around Toronto have glaring deficiencies. Many of the exits appear out of nowhere with exit signs appear too late. You have to know that an exit is coming up and make sure you're in the right lane or you have no chance of making it. In many places you have to change lanes to stay on the same highway.

That's absurd and I've never seen that anywhere else on the planet. The normal protocol is for exit lanes to appear on the right forcing one to move a lane to the right in order to exit. I bet thousands of people from out of province realize they've left the highway and on another one 20 minutes after the fact.

New Brunswick is another province that has better highways than Ontario for the population it serves. I think some people in Ontario assume they have the best because they're the biggest province but it just ain't so.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; May 3rd, 2017 at 08:03 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2017, 11:05 AM   #4193
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19116

I'm planning to do some driving in NB and NS later in the year.
I'm curious how infrastructure there compares to other parts of Canada, and North America in general.
Nothing better than exploring on your own to make the judgement
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2017, 11:27 AM   #4194
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

Manitoba

A nice video of Highway 1 (Trans-Canada) in Southeastern Manitoba.

I find it interesting how the endless forests, which has dominated driving for the past 1,900 kilometers (from Toronto) suddenly gives way to the almost treeless prairies. In some parts of the Canadian prairies they have this 'aspen parkland', where the prairies gradually merge into the boreal forest. But here it's just an instant where the trees end and the prairies begin.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Kanadzie, Jschmuck, brewerfan386 liked this post

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; May 3rd, 2017 at 11:34 AM.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2017, 04:21 PM   #4195
Cricket_Fan

Likes (Received): 1115

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
In many places you have to change lanes to stay on the same highway.

That's absurd and I've never seen that anywhere else on the planet. The normal protocol is for exit lanes to appear on the right forcing one to move a lane to the right in order to exit. I bet thousands of people from out of province realize they've left the highway and on another one 20 minutes after the fact.
The only places I can think of this being the case on the 400 series is 403-407 interchange, 400-11 split, and perhaps where 403/QEW concurrent alignment split into their own alignments. I've run into this scenario far more times on the interstates just between Detroit and Chicago than I have on the 400 highway series.

Last edited by Cricket_Fan; May 3rd, 2017 at 06:57 PM.
Cricket_Fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2017, 04:28 PM   #4196
sonysnob

Quote:
I agree with Kanadzie. Nova Scotia has better highway infrastructure than Ontario for the population it serves. There are way more km of 4 lane divided highway than you'd expect and the system that exists is better designed.
Nova Scotia has about 410km of four lane freeway. So the entire four lane highway network is only about half as long as Ontario's Highway 401.

Please post sources of why you think the 100-series of highways is better designed. Certainly one doesn't have to look to hard around the internet to find that the super 2 highways seem to have a problem with cross-over head on collisions. (Not surprising for a super 2...)

Otherwise the design of Nova Scotia's freeway system actually looks fairly similar to that of Ontario's. Even the striping is actually fairly consistent. As does New Brunswick's for that matter.

Quote:
Most of the highways in and around Toronto have glaring deficiencies. Many of the exits appear out of nowhere with exit signs appear too late. You have to know that an exit is coming up and make sure you're in the right lane or you have no chance of making it. In many places you have to change lanes to stay on the same highway.

I'm not sure what relevance at all this has to the comparison to Nova Scotia. Nova Scotia doesn't have a highway facility remotely similar to anything in Toronto. The design of the 401 is by no means perfect. The complex freeway design along the 401 does involve more lane drops than are ideal in the collector lanes, and the 1960s sections of highway feature core to collector transfers that really have proven to be too close to the next downstream interchange, however, most large cities have less than perfect urban freeway networks. In fact, considering it's vintage, the 401 is much better designed than most freeways constructed in the mid 1960s.

Statement's like your's just show your naivety about large city urban freeway networks. Take a look at all the left exits in Downtown Detroit, or the interchange where I-75 switches freeways. Odd geometry, and left exit city. Look at I-90/94 in Chicago north of the circle interchange. Look at basically any freeway in Montreal or Quebec City. Look at all of the lane drops on I-75/85 through Downtown Atlanta. The Deerfoot in Calgary has odd interchange configurations. Look at the rats nest around Downtown Houston...

Quote:
New Brunswick is another province that has better highways than Ontario for the population it serves. I think some people in Ontario assume they have the best because they're the biggest province but it just ain't so.
I agree that New Brunswick's network is pretty good. Their freeway network is brand new, so it should be as good as it is. New Brunswick got a pretty sweetheart deal from the Federal Government in the 1990's where they got a 50-50 contribution for new highway construction to twin the Trans-Canada through the province. Imagine what Ontario could do through northern Ontario and the Ottawa Valley if the fed's bestowed that kind of funding for Ontario's Trans-Canada.

Last edited by sonysnob; May 3rd, 2017 at 04:39 PM.
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 09:11 PM   #4197
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 856

Thanks for that great video thru eastern Manitoba Chris.

brewerfan386 liked this post
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 10:36 AM   #4198
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

B.C. Highway 8 has been washed out west of Merritt:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2017, 03:10 PM   #4199
sonysnob

Toronto to Mississauga in 4K

Highway89, Stavros86 liked this post
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 07:05 AM   #4200
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4265

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A nice video of Highway 1 (Trans-Canada) in Southeastern Manitoba.

I find it interesting how the endless forests, which has dominated driving for the past 1,900 kilometers (from Toronto) suddenly gives way to the almost treeless prairies. In some parts of the Canadian prairies they have this 'aspen parkland', where the prairies gradually merge into the boreal forest. But here it's just an instant where the trees end and the prairies begin.
If you hadn't pointed that out in your post, I never would've watched it. That was pretty cool to see!
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto