daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 16th, 2017, 07:03 AM   #4201
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

Great Toronto vid, thanks.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2017, 10:16 PM   #4202
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Yellowhead Highway

Hmmm.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 06:08 AM   #4203
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Thanks, now I can't unsee.

Just like

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 09:11 PM   #4204
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Saskatoon Freeway

There are plans for a freeway bypass around Saskatoon. It will run outside of the city, further out than Circle Drive. The project is called the 'Saskatoon Freeway'.

https://www.saskatchewan.ca/governme...y-consultation

The northern half of the route alignment has been chosen:

Some further refinements have been made to how it would connect on the southeast and west side of Saskatoon

Saskatchewan appears to be on a freeway craze as of late. They are also constructing the Regina Bypass. Maybe Manitoba will do something similar to the Perimeter Highway around Winnipeg, and maybe some freeway bypasses here and there (Headingley, St. Norbert anyone?)
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 11:10 PM   #4205
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Manitoba recently elected a new provincial government. I have read elsewhere on the internet that some improvements are planned for the southern portion of the Perimeter Highway, but I haven't really been paying any attention as to what those improvements may look like.
Old May 20th, 2017, 01:27 AM   #4206
trece verde

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Hmmm.

Chris, the Highway is Yellowhead, not Orangehead.

so many nasty things I could say....

geogregor liked this post
trece verde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 02:05 PM   #4207
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

Likes (Received): 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
There are plans for a freeway bypass around Saskatoon. It will run outside of the city, further out than Circle Drive. The project is called the 'Saskatoon Freeway'.

https://www.saskatchewan.ca/governme...y-consultation

The northern half of the route alignment has been chosen:

Some further refinements have been made to how it would connect on the southeast and west side of Saskatoon

Saskatchewan appears to be on a freeway craze as of late. They are also constructing the Regina Bypass. Maybe Manitoba will do something similar to the Perimeter Highway around Winnipeg, and maybe some freeway bypasses here and there (Headingley, St. Norbert anyone?)
Saskatoon is a smaller city going through a long term massive growth. The city has double it's population in the last 25 years. When Circle Drive was first started it was on the outskirts of the city now it would be classified as an inner city ring.

I picture Saskatoon along the lines of Edmonton in the future with a full freeway circle around the city.

zyxwvutsrqponmlkjihgfedcba
Calvin W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2017, 04:28 AM   #4208
sonysnob

From one variety of four-lane highway to another... Hwy 69 north of Parry Sound, ON. The undivided photos were taken in 2012, and the divided highway photos were taken in 2016:

Looking south:

Looking north:

Old May 25th, 2017, 01:48 AM   #4209
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

it is small wonder Ontario has such deficit problems if they replace 4 lane highway with divided 4 lane highway instead of a BC-style jersey or whatever
I know, I know, transition between passing lanes and such but still...
Old May 25th, 2017, 05:22 AM   #4210
sonysnob

The thing that really sticks out to me from these photos (and it's not something that I noticed before posting the photo comparison) is how much of an improvement the shoulder treatment is in the recently reconstructed highway. If a vehicle were to run off the road on the pre-construction highway, it doesn't look unlikely that it would roll over if it hit the edge of the gravel. On the reconstructed road, there is a much longer and tapered shoulder. It's a significant improvement that would generally go pretty unnoticed.
Old May 25th, 2017, 05:46 AM   #4211
Cricket_Fan

Likes (Received): 1116

Speaking of highway 69, there are only 5 construction seasons left (including this year's) till the end of 2021. It looks highly unlikely at this point that they'll be able to meet that goal. Of the 80 odd kms left, 15 km are under construction and should be done by 2020. Considering the pace they are going at, it seems nigh on impossible to make the 2021 deadline.
Cricket_Fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2017, 03:19 AM   #4212
Kanadzie

Not sure how I didn`t see this before

http://www.qew403freeman.ca/

Balkanada liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2017, 05:00 AM   #4213
sonysnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post

It's only been online for a couple of weeks.
Old May 28th, 2017, 06:11 PM   #4214
Haljackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post

Would this possibly add the missing links? QEW Niagara to 407 ETR and 407 ETR to QEW Toronto?

Or could it possibly push the HOV lanes on 403/QEW to or through the interchange? I'd like a dedicated HOV to/from 403 if possible so you don't need to get over every single lane in a relatively short distance when the 403 and QEW converge/split.

Heck, even widening the QEW from 4 to 6 lanes through the interchange would be an improvement.

My Simcity Stuff
Old May 28th, 2017, 06:43 PM   #4215
Kanadzie

I was looking at it the other day and you could probably push an extra lane on QEW Niagara all the way to the Red Hill if you delete the shoulders on the skyway... the other way you are basically screwed at the skyway but you could rejig an extra through-lane by getting rid of the North Shore lane-drop... but I think the scope for meaningful improvement towards Burlington is low since you would just feed traffic faster into the mess from Guelph Line to Third Line (there is a recurrent congestion on QEW Toronto before the interchange, but it is less disaster than say around Appleby)

unfortunately any improvement would probably end up as a BS HOV / HOT stuff
Old May 28th, 2017, 09:48 PM   #4216
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

The HOVs running through the interchange onto the Hamilton bound 403 would be nice - I know MTO is planning to bring the HOVs to highway 6 at least through aldershot.

And yea, they badly need to fix the QEW/403 through Burlington. The traffic there is atrocious, especially considering the HOVs were installed only around 10 years ago. Needs at least another general purpose lane, with the HOVs running through the interchange.

Widen the 403 through Hamilton up the mountain to 6N while you are at it, too.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2017, 10:12 PM   #4217
Kanadzie

the big problem on the 403 is where the 3rd lane drops off through downtown Hamilton... it would be really easy to add lanes in the Aldershot section, pave an extra lane on the right / median and don't drop lanes from the 407, but would just get faster to that jam. And expanding the downtown section would probably be very difficult in a cost / environment mess with the way the road hugs the mountain and creek and narrow, huge, viaducts :/
would probably be easier to bypass everything to the north (e.g. Mid Pen / GTA West) but that's a whole other political issue

I really don't understand the Burlington QEW issue - they spent tons of money redoing it, and the ROW is rather large. You have a 6 lane 403 and 8 lane QEW merging into... 6 lanes and 2 HOV and it is jammed... is not surprising
I wonder if they were ever thinking of making it a collector-express setup. If you look at the way the Winston Churchill Blvd. overpass is made with extra spans and a kind of subcollector road with its ramps, it seems like they were thinking it at some time (70's?)

Last edited by Kanadzie; May 28th, 2017 at 10:22 PM.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2017, 10:58 AM   #4218
caturangga

Likes (Received): 2

Indonesia and china has the most large traffic jam inthe world,u should see that bro..
caturangga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2017, 02:28 PM   #4219
sonysnob

There are no plans to build the wrong way ramps between the 407 and the QEW/403 at the Freeman interchange. This study is primarily about the rehabilitative needs of the current infrastructure and some of the more easily obtainable capacity improvements. There is some potential for ramp realignments however

An HOV flyover between the 403/QEW and the 403 west of the Freeman would likely only be considered if that was the best way to stage the rehabilitation of the existing bridges through the interchange. The ramp that carries the eastbound lanes of the 403 to the QEW/403 can't be rehabiltated as is without reducing the ramp width to a single lane, which obviously wouldn't work from a traffic operations perspective.

A sub collector was/is considered through the Winston Churchill Blvd interchange. In the event that the missing ramps from the 403/QEW Oakville interchange are constructed, a sub collector between the Ford Drive and Winston Churchill interchanges would need to be built in order to mitigate the weaving from what would otherwise be three very closely spaced interchanges.

Although the construction that is currently ongoing at the QEW/403 Oakville interchange is solely to facilitate the replacement of the existing overpass that carries the QEW over the eastbound lanes of the 403, the new structures would eventually be incorporated into the westbound lanes of the collector road between the Winston Churchill Blvd and Ford Drive interchanges should the missing QEW/403 ramps ever be constructed.

Kanadzie liked this post
sonysnob está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2017, 01:15 AM   #4220
Haljackey

Interesting read about Highway 7 north of Toronto.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...ions-hume.html

My Simcity Stuff

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto