daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 5th, 2017, 02:58 AM   #4241
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Highway 407E at Highway 418, to be partially open this year

Via http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads...n.9712/page-17

My Simcity Stuff

Highway89, 8166UY liked this post
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2017, 10:32 PM   #4242
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

This looks weird on a satellite image if you don't know that 6 Avenue SW and 9 Avenue SW in Calgary are one-way streets

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2017, 07:44 PM   #4243
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Trust me, it's even more confusing to drive through.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2017, 09:31 PM   #4244
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Peace River Bridge, Alberta

Let's not forget Alberta.
Major funding for Peace River bridge twinning

The federal and Alberta governments have jointly announced funding that will improve the capacity and flow of traffic over the Peace River by constructing a second bridge to accommodate westbound traffic.

The Government of Alberta is investing approximately $88 million and the Government of Canada is providing more than $74 million. The project has a combined total estimated cost of over $162 million.

Once the project is completed, the existing bridge will be used solely for eastbound traffic. Funding will also be used to construct an underslung pedestrian bridge, which will allow pedestrians to cross the Peace River while separated from highway traffic and partially sheltered from the elements and highway traffic noise.
Full press release: https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?x...98F865D7DDC8AD

Funding for the Peace River bridge twinning by Government of Alberta, on Flickr
Old July 7th, 2017, 10:24 PM   #4245
trece verde

Likes (Received): 65

...Or just to help with the confusion, this is a second crossing over the Peace River in the town of Peace River.
trece verde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2017, 07:40 PM   #4246
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Tsuut'ina Trail, Calgary

Naming ceremony officially marks start of construction on southwest section of Calgary Ring Road

Today in Calgary, <important people>, officially commemorated the start of construction on the southwest section of the Calgary Ring Road and the re-naming of a portion of the road “Tsuut’ina Trail.”

This work represents the start of one of two remaining sections of the larger Calgary Ring Road, which will make it easier for people and products to move across the city and the province. Major construction got underway on the project in 2017 and the project is expected to be substantially complete and open to traffic in 2021.

The SWCRR project involves construction between Highway 8 (Range Road 25/Lott Creek Boulevard) and the intersection of Highway 22X and Macleod Trail SE. It includes approximately 31 kilometres of new six- and eight-lane divided highway with 14 interchanges, one road flyover, one railway crossing (flyover), 47 bridges, two bridge rehabilitations, three river crossings, and two river realignments (Elbow River and Fish Creek).

Calgary Ring Road project by Government of Alberta, on Flickr
Full press release including all politics: https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?x...6E46DB7E4D4190

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, MichiH liked this post
Old July 11th, 2017, 03:29 AM   #4247
Cricket_Fan

Likes (Received): 1115

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Clearing and grubbing along the right of way for this project was completed in this spring.

I haven't been up the 400 in a few months, but the contract for the construction works went to tender this spring, and shovels should be in the ground soon if they aren't already.
Yup, it looks like construction just started recently. MTO has the contract up now on its weekly construction update website: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/tra...tract2017-2001
Cricket_Fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2017, 08:27 PM   #4248
ChrisZwolle
Road user

James Bay Road

The federal government of Canada and Québec will invest $ 265 million in the repair and modernization of the James Bay Road, one of the northern roads in Québec.

The James Bay Road spans 620 kilometers into the northern Québec wilderness. Half of the road will be resurfaced and drainage and safety equipment (signs, guardrails, etc.) will be modernized.

https://www.transports.gouv.qc.ca/fr...aie-james.aspx

The location of the James Bay Road:
Old July 12th, 2017, 02:25 AM   #4249
Haljackey

The pavement surface must take one heck of a beating, most roads are gravel up there. Freeze/thaw, salt/deicer, studded tires and heavy transport trucks likely all contribute to that.

That's a road I could put on my bucket list. Judging from some of the photos the resurfacing is badly needed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Bay_Road

My Simcity Stuff
Old July 12th, 2017, 06:09 AM   #4250
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Please delete. Asked a question I then realized was silly.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 05:41 PM   #4251
Haljackey

I made the 401-404-Don Valley Parkway interchange in SimCity 4.

Click the link below the image for full size (a whopping 6485x3868)

Full size: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4318/3...397f1017_o.png

My Simcity Stuff

Last edited by Haljackey; July 18th, 2017 at 02:56 AM.
Old July 19th, 2017, 09:06 PM   #4252
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Glenmore Trail, Calgary

Glenmore Trail and Ogden Road S.E. Interchange project reaches milestone

As part of making life better for Calgarians, a major milestone will be achieved tomorrow when motorists begin using the new Glenmore Trail between 18 Street S.E. and Barlow Trail.

Drivers on Glenmore Trail will no longer have to stop for trains within city-limits and there will now be no traffic lights on Glenmore Trail, between Sarcee Trail in the southwest and Barlow Trail in the southeast.

Total investment in the project is approximately $90 million.
Full press release: http://newsroom.calgary.ca/glenmore-...hes-milestone/

This basically extends the Glenmore Trail freeway section by 2 kilometers to the east.
Old July 20th, 2017, 10:03 PM   #4253
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Highway 1, Saskatchewan

New Balgonie overpass set to open early next week

The new Balgonie overpass is set to open to traffic early next week.
It will be the first overpass to open on the Regina bypass, less than two years after construction started.

The first phase of the bypass construction between Balgonie and Highway 33 is expected to be completed this fall, including overpasses at Balgonie, White City and Tower Road. The Pilot Butte overpass is slated to open to traffic in 2017 and be fully operational in 2018. The remainder of the bypass is scheduled for completion in 2019.
Full report: http://regina.ctvnews.ca/new-balgoni...week-1.3511759

The Balgonie overpass replaces the Highway 1 / 46 intersection west of town. As noted in the article, interchanges are also under construction at Pilot Butte and White City.

Judging by Google Earth imagery from May 2017, this turns Highway 1 into a controlled-access highway from Regina to Balgonie.
Old July 22nd, 2017, 10:52 PM   #4254
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Autoroute 70, Québec

The 7.6 kilometer long extension of autoroute 70 near Saguenay will open to traffic on 29 July. It extends the freeway east from Saguenay to the airport.

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-quotidien/...tot-ouvert.php
Old July 24th, 2017, 02:21 AM   #4255
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

I drove through the Hwy 401 6-laning through Cobourg ON twice last week
in both directions the 6 lanes are striped but the rightmost is blocked by construction cones and there is some debris on the lane. I didn't see anybody working but I was outside of the 8-17h weekday time window. Curious why they haven't just pushed it out since it looks like they just need to pass a streetsweeper both ways and remove the cones...

I will say though I am eager for the opening since the road looks a lot better than the previous arrangement in terms of pavement quality, curves, etc

As has been usual for past several years there are several overpass replacements in Eastern Ont., on the 401 as well.

Hwy 40 eastbound in western Montreal region (between A-30 (old 540) and St Charles Blvd. (km 50)) is still a ridiculously bad condition, but the westbound direction was completely renovated a year or so ago and is nice. The Ile-aux-Tourtes Bridge between Vaudreuil and the island of Montreal (Senneville) is undergoing some kind of repairs with a tidal setup (AM is 3 lanes in, 2 lanes out, PM is 2 lanes in, 1 lane out on the opposite side, 2 lanes out on the normal side)

Last edited by Kanadzie; July 24th, 2017 at 02:37 AM.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2017, 05:50 PM   #4256
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
I drove through the Hwy 401 6-laning through Cobourg ON twice last week
in both directions the 6 lanes are striped but the rightmost is blocked by construction cones and there is some debris on the lane. I didn't see anybody working but I was outside of the 8-17h weekday time window. Curious why they haven't just pushed it out since it looks like they just need to pass a streetsweeper both ways and remove the cones...

I will say though I am eager for the opening since the road looks a lot better than the previous arrangement in terms of pavement quality, curves, etc

As has been usual for past several years there are several overpass replacements in Eastern Ont., on the 401 as well.

Hwy 40 eastbound in western Montreal region (between A-30 (old 540) and St Charles Blvd. (km 50)) is still a ridiculously bad condition, but the westbound direction was completely renovated a year or so ago and is nice. The Ile-aux-Tourtes Bridge between Vaudreuil and the island of Montreal (Senneville) is undergoing some kind of repairs with a tidal setup (AM is 3 lanes in, 2 lanes out, PM is 2 lanes in, 1 lane out on the opposite side, 2 lanes out on the normal side)
The MTO website seems to indicate that the Hwy 401 project through Cobourg won't be completed until November. I have no idea why, while I haven't been through there since the winter time, it certainly didn't seem like there was a tonne of work remaining to be done. At that time, I had thought that work would have finished by about this time this summer.

I am surprised they haven't done anything to the eastbound lanes of the 40. I haven't been through there in a while either, but it looked to me like the westbound construction was designed to be followed by eastbound construction almost immediately. A lot of temporary concrete barriers and temporary lighting were left in place as part of that work.

I haven't been through here recently either, but Autoroute 40 is getting reconstructed through the western edge of Quebec City as well. They are replacing the old asphalt one with a new concrete road. Now if they can only replace the southern A-40/73 with something decent, then they'll be getting somewhere.
Old July 24th, 2017, 06:53 PM   #4257
Cricket_Fan

When I passed through the 401 widening in Coburg in early July, it appeared that the widening around the interchanges was still not done. The 3 lanes tapered off to 2 lanes around the interchanges and then back to the 3 lanes after the interchange had passed.

I noticed that the 401 pavement quality seems to be in quite terrible shape for good chunks of eastern Ontario. I thought it was bad between Tilbury and London (that is getting reconstructed anyway) but eastern Ontario was in worse shape AND it was so for very long distances.

Last edited by Cricket_Fan; July 24th, 2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old July 24th, 2017, 09:08 PM   #4258
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

The 417 has a few fairly long rough spots east of Ottawa as well. The bit that was just resurfaced east of the Anderson Road interchange was particularly bad.

The MTO released a consultant assignment for the design of a resurfacing contract for the 417 east of Cassleman earlier this year. If memory serves me, this project would go to construction during the 2019 construction season. It went out as a consultant assignment as an A/B contract, which means it's up to the consultant to choose between a concrete and asphalt surface. In 2004/05 a long stretch of the 417 was reconstructed in concrete near Hawksbury.

A 401 construction contract is planned I believe for this fall. (I could be wrong on the exact date, I'm not looking at the contract sheet in front of me) that will resurface the 401 east of Brockville. That is, in my opinion at least, the worst stretch of the 401 through eastern Ontario. That said, from what I gather, the contract is just a full resurfacing, and not a reconstruction like is ongoing through Essex and C-K. I'm not a pavement engineer, but given the depth of some of the cracks in the asphalt east of Brockville, I don't think that a simple resurfacing is really going to address the long term needs of that stretch of highway.
Old July 24th, 2017, 09:45 PM   #4259
Cricket_Fan

I am not as familiar with the 401 sections in Eastern Ontario as I am through Central and Southwestern Ontario, but it appeared to me that at least 50% of the pavement through Eastern Ontario needs resurfacing or reconstruction in the very near future. You're right, looking at Ontario Southern Highways program it appears Eastern Ontario will mostly see resurfacing as opposed to reconstruction, so that won't address long term needs but will clear up the road for the next 10 years at least.
Old July 25th, 2017, 01:41 AM   #4260
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

I think Eastern Ontario in the region of bad 401 and 417 is something with the ground being not very suitable (Leda clay?). I know when they made 416 they tried to remedy it by various methods but I suspect the roadbeds of 401 and 417 are not made in such a way, because the road pavement is so bad (reminds of the Polish DK 18 ) It doesn't seem like the pavement is very old there at all, but I find it basically unbearable to ride in the right lane and so I very ashamedly roll in the left and move over for people to pass (which is rare there )

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto