daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 25th, 2017, 01:51 AM   #4261
Cricket_Fan

Likes (Received): 1115

Once MTO is done twinning highway 69, they ought to look at reconstructing the 401 in Eastern Ontario like they are doing for 120 odd KMs in Southwestern Ontario. The distance to reconstruct is greater but I am not sure they have much choice. In all likelihood, the impending widening of the 401 through Ajax, Whitby, Oshawa and Clarington will take higher precedence but still I'd really like to see some portions of the 401 being reconstructed in Eastern Ontario.
Cricket_Fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2017, 02:04 AM   #4262
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Honestly I'd much rather see expansion of the road through Durham and 6 laning to and thru at least Belleville and leave the existing road eastwards as is, the traffic jams particularly from Belleville-Trenton-Cobourg on long weekends, holidays, summer, etc is just insane (like stop and go for 100 km it's horrible) I've even been in traffic jams from Brockville to Trenton before (admittedly, an accident closed a lane at Trenton)
The AADT doesn't seem so bad (+/- 35 000 vpd) but it must be very "peaky" with expatriate Montreal people and Toronto-Kingston traffic.

It would be interesting if MTO could make better use of ITS systems and "old Hwy 2" for construction / accident events... it seems they put a lot of signs lately but not intelligently to react to the traffic flow. But if you have some apps...

Last edited by Kanadzie; July 25th, 2017 at 02:09 AM.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2017, 05:43 AM   #4263
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

A few photos of the 401 widening project through Waterloo Region taken earlier in July. These views are from the Speedsville Road overpass.

Looking west towards the Highway 8 interchange:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_4...ul17_24x16.jpg

Looking east towards the Highway 24 interchange:

Old July 25th, 2017, 05:03 PM   #4264
Cricket_Fan

It'll be interesting to see what MTO will do about the HOV lane through this section. They avoided opening the HOV lane in Mississauga until the HOV lane will be long enough (after the current construction in Mississauga completes). Here it'll only be 4 km long.
Old July 25th, 2017, 05:23 PM   #4265
sonysnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket_Fan View Post
It'll be interesting to see what MTO will do about the HOV lane through this section. They avoided opening the HOV lane in Mississauga until the HOV lane will be long enough (after the current construction in Mississauga completes). Here it'll only be 4 km long.
I've been told that the MTO plans to open the HOV lanes through Waterloo as soon as the construction has been finished, despite the short length. (That could of course change between now and the time the contract is finished).

Cricket_Fan liked this post
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2017, 05:45 AM   #4266
sonysnob

Some photos of the 407 widening project through Mississauga between the 410 and 427 interchanges. Crews are making good progress, and the additional median lane should be opened to traffic within the next few weeks. These photos were taken the same day as the above K/W photos:

Haljackey, ChrisZwolle liked this post
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2017, 09:58 PM   #4267
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Geesh I barely recognize the 401 through Kitchener WOW!

That is a huge cross section too, crazy how it will only be 10 lanes when open, looks like there is room for more.

As for 407ETR, looks like they are eating up the remaining median. Anything further will involve bridge replacements + a whole bunch of other costly stuff. But with the amount of $$$ people pay for the highway who knows that might even be possible!

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2017, 10:40 PM   #4268
Cricket_Fan

The lanes through the construction in Waterloo region are quite narrow, and they've almost completely cannibalized the shoulders. Plus 2 of the 10 lanes will be HOV. IIRC the Fountain St and Speedsville Rd bridges have also been only built for a 10 lane cross section. Once the construction is done the 10 lanes will probably cover the entire cross section.

Last edited by Cricket_Fan; July 26th, 2017 at 10:47 PM.
Old July 27th, 2017, 09:01 PM   #4269
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Balgonie, Saskatchewan

Saskatchewan's first highway roundabouts officially open

It's been two years in the making, but Saskatchewan's first highway roundabouts are officially open to the public.

Along with the roundabouts, the Balgonie overpass has been opened as well.

The overpass is on Highway 46 near Balgonie and leads to the roundabouts.

Full report: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...outs-1.4223493

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2017, 03:02 PM   #4270
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

Likes (Received): 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Saskatchewan's first highway roundabouts officially open

It's been two years in the making, but Saskatchewan's first highway roundabouts are officially open to the public.

Along with the roundabouts, the Balgonie overpass has been opened as well.

The overpass is on Highway 46 near Balgonie and leads to the roundabouts.

Full report: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...outs-1.4223493
Not True. Saskatoon had a large traffic circle on 8th Street and Circle Drive (Highway 16) back in the 70's and removed in the 80's. 8th street had a 60kmh speed limit where as Circle drive had a 80kmh limit at the time.

zyxwvutsrqponmlkjihgfedcba
Calvin W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2017, 07:17 PM   #4271
Kanadzie

did it work like a roundabout (entering traffic yielding) though?

Kind of interesting how it appears they preserved the old road leading to the circle as the diamond interchange ramps.

Also interesting how this circle and the ones in Ontario (e.g. QEW / Hwy 20 in Stoney Creek) were completely replaced by interchanges, but older ones in Montreal usually just got a flyover the circle (e.g. in Dorval the old Hwy 2 / 2B (Montreal-Toronto Blvd. and Cote-de-Liesse) turning to modern A-20/A-520)
Old August 1st, 2017, 09:47 AM   #4272
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

Likes (Received): 366

It was a full function roundabout. At the time I did my driver training through high school it was mandatory to drive through this traffic circle numerous times to get some experience.

zyxwvutsrqponmlkjihgfedcba
Calvin W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 03:29 PM   #4273
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Some would argue that a traffic circle is not the same as a standard roundabout though.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 03:33 PM   #4274
sonysnob

^ Agreed. I woudn't call that design a roundabout. One of they key features of a modern roundabout is the slow speed of the interior circular roadway -- a design feature that the above intersection obviously did not have.
Old August 3rd, 2017, 02:43 AM   #4275
Kanadzie

true but it's broadly similar to the British "roundabout interchanges" in terms of size...
Old August 3rd, 2017, 08:56 AM   #4276
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19132

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
^ Agreed. I woudn't call that design a roundabout. One of they key features of a modern roundabout is the slow speed of the interior circular roadway -- a design feature that the above intersection obviously did not have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
true but it's broadly similar to the British "roundabout interchanges" in terms of size...
Most important feature of the roundabout is the priority for the vehicles already on the roundabout before the ones entering. That's how it works on British "roundabout interchanges" (at least when there are no traffic lights or they are switched off).
Diameter is less important.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2017, 01:20 PM   #4277
sotonsi

Quote:
It looks as if it was planned to become one with the ovoid shape and wide median (as the carriageways are where the slip roads would be) - cf this one
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2017, 02:08 AM   #4278
Kanadzie

quite possible, there are several such interchanges in the Montreal area (like this one: https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.55459.../data=!3m1!1e3 ), but otherwise very rare in Canada (though, in Western Canada there are several "split diamonds" that use a square shape with four intersections)

I wonder if the generally terrible operations of the Montreal ones, all now fitted with traffic lights, persuaded basically the rest of the country to avoid this design as much as possible
Old August 4th, 2017, 02:01 PM   #4279
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19132

Quote:

I wonder if the generally terrible operations of the Montreal ones, all now fitted with traffic lights, persuaded basically the rest of the country to avoid this design as much as possible
Such roundabout-junctions work well up to certain traffic level. Above that traffic lights are unavoidable. Adding lights is common practice it the UK and it usually work's fine. Again, up to a point, eventually free flow might be needed in some locations.

BTW, I will be driving around Quebec in September, how strict is speed enforcement in the province? Also in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia.
I want to eventually drive from Quebec City to Cape Breton and it might be long and boring drive if one can't put the foot down...
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2017, 04:48 PM   #4280
Cricket_Fan

^ I was in Quebec city just few weeks ago, and there are speeding cameras all over Quebec city, even on the highways within the city.

As for the highways in rural areas, I am also curious about the speeding enforcement in rural areas of Quebec. The official limit is 100 km/h but I was doing 120-124 and I was never pulled over. But almost every Quebec license plate was going 10-15 km/h slower than me. I am curious what is the buffer room in Quebec over the official limit. In Ontario you can go upto 124 and basically never get pulled over, unless you run into a cop who is having a bad day.

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto