daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 4th, 2017, 11:34 PM   #4281
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Such roundabout-junctions work well up to certain traffic level. Above that traffic lights are unavoidable. Adding lights is common practice it the UK and it usually work's fine. Again, up to a point, eventually free flow might be needed in some locations.

BTW, I will be driving around Quebec in September, how strict is speed enforcement in the province? Also in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia.
I want to eventually drive from Quebec City to Cape Breton and it might be long and boring drive if one can't put the foot down...
I can't answer this with any certainty as I don't drive in either province more than a couple of times per year, but generally, I'd plan to drive below 120km/h on the major freeways in Quebec. It seems to me that the average speed on an autoroute is probably closer to 110km/h to 115km/h. That said, I've never been pulled over for speeding in Quebec either.

Rural speed limits on the Trans-Canada in New Brunswick are 110km/h. I don't really have too much experience driving in that province, but I wouldn't expect to do too much more than 120 there either.

Speed cameras are pretty common in construction zones in Quebec.

Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2017, 11:52 PM   #4282
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Is there a reason why Ontario and Québec only allow 100 km/h on freeways even in rural areas? The network outside of urban areas is large enough for higher speed limits to make sense. On the prairies you can drive 110 km/h on twinned highways with at-grade access. Even in B.C. they allow 120 km/h on some freeways.

The low speed limit doesn't make any sense. It could easily be 120 km/h outside of metropolitan areas like it is in the U.S. and Europe.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2017, 12:46 AM   #4283
Cricket_Fan

Likes (Received): 1115

I am not sure about the "why" but you can go at 120 km/h in Ontario without worrying about getting pulled over. That's about the average speed that people drive on the 400 series highways. In Quebec for some reason everyone goes at around 110 and I am not sure why, but I generally stay around 120 in Quebec and haven't been pulled over there either.
Cricket_Fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2017, 05:26 AM   #4284
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Rural areas are more like 130 without issue, too. The 407 is 140.

Ontarios speed limits are all politics, constantly kept artificially low because of "safety". There is a big push in Toronto right now for reduced speed limits for pedestrian safety, which makes sense to a certain degree, but then everyone takes it too far and refuses to even consider raising rural speed limits.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2017, 06:57 AM   #4285
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post

Ontarios speed limits are all politics, constantly kept artificially low because of "safety".
Speed variance is the issue here. If you're going 100 and someone behind you is going 120, they either have to hit the breaks or use the passing lane if free. This is generally unsafe as it can lead to people losing control of their vehicles and weaving around to get around slower cars and trucks.

Try going 100 for a good stretch and you'll notice how 'safe' this is when the 85th percentile is going 20% faster than you. You'll get great fuel economy though, and it only adds a few mins to the average drive.
-I tried this once going from London to Windsor. Getting passed by trucks was annoying. Increased to 105 after that. At such speed, you'll have trouble concentrating as the level of effort to keep the car steady is minimal, and you'll stress out when other cars are nearby. I think it's much safer to go with the flow, and that's what I did after I gave up

I use an insurance app on my phone that tracks driving behavior and gives a good discount (up to 25% off if you drive like a grandma). You'll get dinged for speeding (among other things like harsh acceleration, braking & cornering), especially if you're more than 10% over the limit. Do 130 and you'll get a whopping 0% for the trip.
-I'd save a lot more on my insurance renewal if the government raised speed limits. If a political party campaigned on this for the next provincial elections in Ontario & Quebec, it might be enough to get them elected.

My Simcity Stuff

Penn's Woods liked this post

Last edited by Haljackey; August 6th, 2017 at 07:13 AM.
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2017, 11:31 AM   #4286
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
Speed variance is the issue here. If you're going 100 and someone behind you is going 120, they either have to hit the breaks or use the passing lane if free. This is generally unsafe as it can lead to people losing control of their vehicles and weaving around to get around slower cars and trucks.
I find this an interesting observation. Because in Europe, large speed differences is the norm on any freeway. Trucks are limited to 80 or 90 km/h and cars drive 120 to 130 km/h in most countries. And fatality rates are by far the lowest on freeways.
Old August 7th, 2017, 12:07 AM   #4287
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

In Ontario, speed limits on the 400 series are ignored. The traffic is simply too heavy and pulling over anyone but a lunatic is simply too dangerous. Pulling over a speeding car can cause an accident and with such heavy traffic even in the rural area is a disaster waiting to happen. You can basically go as fast as you want on urban freeways because the police do not patrol them.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2017, 01:06 AM   #4288
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19132

Quote:
Try going 100 for a good stretch and you'll notice how 'safe' this is when the 85th percentile is going 20% faster than you. You'll get great fuel economy though, and it only adds a few mins to the average drive.
-I tried this once going from London to Windsor. Getting passed by trucks was annoying. Increased to 105 after that. At such speed, you'll have trouble concentrating as the level of effort to keep the car steady is minimal, and you'll stress out when other cars are nearby. I think it's much safer to go with the flow, and that's what I did after I gave up
Here I agree with Chris. Speed differential on European freeways is huge (like in Germany, where cars do twice the speed of trucks) and accident rates are not higher than in Ontario with its "low differential" policy.

Anyway, thanks everyone for comments. I think I will take a bit of risk and go above the limit. I can't imagine driving 100 kph on longs stretches of rural freeways. I drive faster on narrow Irish roads, and I'm not even speeding

Last edited by geogregor; August 7th, 2017 at 01:57 AM.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2017, 11:32 AM   #4289
Cricket_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
In Ontario, speed limits on the 400 series are ignored. The traffic is simply too heavy and pulling over anyone but a lunatic is simply too dangerous. Pulling over a speeding car can cause an accident and with such heavy traffic even in the rural area is a disaster waiting to happen. You can basically go as fast as you want on urban freeways because the police do not patrol them.
That's simply not true. There are a ton of OPP on the 401 in GTA. If a cop catches you doing 140 in urban areas, they likely will stop you unless they see a bigger fish around you. I've been pulled over at 127 in rural areas.
Old August 7th, 2017, 06:33 PM   #4290
sonysnob

Some photos of Phase 2A of the 407 Extension taken last weekend:

View looking westerly from Winchester Road, just east of the current eastern terminus of the highway. Paving had been started only a few weeks before these photos were taken.

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_4...0-17_24x16.jpg

Easterly view from the Winchester Road overpass:

Westerly view towards Winchester Road from the Langmaid Road overpass

Easterly view from Langmaid Road towards Concession 6:

Westerly view from Concession Road 6 towards Langmaid Road:

Easterly view from Concession Road 6 towards the Enfield Road interchange:

Two views looking westerly from the Solina Road overpass in the direction of the Enfield Road interchange:

Easterly view towards the future 407/418 interchange from the Solina Road overpass:

Old August 8th, 2017, 03:43 AM   #4291
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
-I'd save a lot more on my insurance renewal if the government raised speed limits. If a political party campaigned on this for the next provincial elections in Ontario & Quebec, it might be enough to get them elected.
Don't you remember the "stop 100" guys from the last election in Ontario?

Some history:
previous to 1956, Quebec had only two legal speed limits. 30 mph in urban areas, and "reasonable and prudent" outside of urban areas. This was too nice so no longer does it exist

Previous to 1975 Quebec and Ontario had a 70 mph speed limit on freeways, and 60 mph on 2-lane highways. The federal government "forced" the provinces to keep the maximum speed limit to 60 mph as part of an energy-conservation programme, and so Quebec changed to 60 mph on freeways and 55 mph on other roads, while Ontario went to 60 and 50 mph respectively (55 mph on the Trans-Canada Highway as a minimum speed of 55 mph outside of urban areas was and remains a requirement of Trans-Canada funding)

Other provinces either ignored completely (Alberta) or sometime thereafter abandoned the 60 mph / 100 km/h issue over the past decade, generally to 110 km/h which is essentially the rounding of the previous 70 mph.

---

In the modern day, around Toronto people drive 130-140 as much as they can. Police if around will certainly issue a large ticket if they see that, but, if you're 10 cars doing the same, he'll probably catch only one.
But on rural sections of highway, sometimes they'll have one guy sitting in an overpass and a half dozen patrol cars waiting in the bushes. I've seen OPP doing this in a old beige minivan (!) on Hwy 417, the bastards.

In Montreal's environs, people drive slower than Toronto, though Montreal people will certainly deny it. Typical flow about 120. It's important to note Toronto's freeways are generally to a higher design standard however... the people pushing 140 km/h on the 401 through North York are not driving as hard as the guys who manage 115 km/h on the Metropolitan Boulevard (A-40 between A-15 and A-25).

On average I would say Quebec's SQ is easier on speed than the Ontario OPP and both are notably less insane than certain American states, including or even notably the New York State Troopers on roads leading to Canada like I-87 Northway and especially, the inexplicable 55 mph section of I-87 through Albany. It's all the more strange as, in the immediate vicinity of New York City, you can drive 130-140 km/h without much issue much like in Toronto's environs. But get some distance away, and suddenly traffic slows down a good 30 km/h. You see this on the 401 as well. People haul ass all the way to like Cobourg and then suddenly drop speed to the 110's.

geogregor, Penn's Woods liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2017, 06:08 PM   #4292
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Highway Thru Hell season 6 will commence in September
Highway Thru Hell, back for a sixth season on Tuesday, Sept. 5 at 10 p.m.
http://realscreen.com/2017/07/28/dis...20172018-sked/

I liked Highway Thru Hell, and its spin-off, Heavy Rescue: 401 better than Ice Road Truckers which became repetitive and heavily staged 'action'.
Old August 9th, 2017, 05:25 AM   #4293
sonysnob

^ I am happy to hear that Highway thru Hell is coming back. While I liked Heavy Rescue: 401, I've always thought that Highway Thru Hell was a better show.
Old August 9th, 2017, 03:57 PM   #4294
sonysnob

The MTO has currently posted a consultant assignment for the realignment of the 401 through the Leslie Street interchange 19 meters to the south. Construction started earlier this year on the project that will see the eastbound off-ramp to Leslie Street replaced and realigned. The second contract will see the eastbound collector lanes moved to the south from their current alignment.

While the eastbound off-ramp to Leslie Street will be widened from one to two lanes, the eastbound collector lanes are not planned to be widened from three to four lanes (though there will be an extra wide right shoulder through the project).

The detail design work is scheduled to be completed by the fall of 2019, so presumably actual construction would start in the spring of 2020.

Quote:
The ministry completed a preliminary design study for the rehabilitation of Highway 401 express and collector lanes from Leslie Street to Warden Avenue (Highway 401 Preliminary Design – Leslie Street to Warden Avenue, August 2012). The study made several recommendations for the rehabilitation of Highway 401/Leslie Street Interchange, including the re-alignment of the interchange to the south, replacement of all 12 bridges located within the interchange and widened of the W-N/S Ramp from 1 to 2 lanes on a new alignment.

Highway 401/Leslie Street Interchange

The re-alignment section at Leslie Interchange, including transition to the existing highway sections at both ends, is approximately 1.8km in length, extending approximately 800m west of the Leslie Street to approximately 1000m to the east of Leslie Street. The maximum shift of the re-alignment is approximately 19m.

The ministry will carry out the realignment of the interchange and replacement of the bridges within the interchange in a series of contracts, moving along from a south-to north direction.

The first contract to replace the existing W-N/S Ramp (Contract 2016-2048) is currently under construction.

The second contract, as an integral part of this assignment, includes the construction of the new eastbound collector lanes at the interchange.

Last edited by sonysnob; August 9th, 2017 at 04:31 PM.
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2017, 08:57 PM   #4295
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Highway 1, Saskatchewan

White City Overpass Set to Open with Link to Trans Canada Trail

Travelling to White City will soon be safer for area residents – motorists and pedestrians. Within the next day, the new White City overpass will open to traffic less than two years after construction started.

The White City overpass is a diamond interchange, with Highway 48 crossing overtop of Highway 1. With the construction of the overpass and the service road network well underway, people will be able to drive from Balgonie to Highway 33 without travelling on Highway 1.

By opening the White City overpass to traffic, the Regina Bypass Design Builders will be able to complete the remaining construction around the overpass. Once the overpass opens, the current intersection at Highways 1 and 48 will close.

The first phase of the Regina Bypass construction between Balgonie and Highway 33 will be completed this fall, including overpasses at Balgonie, White City and Tower Road. The Pilot Butte overpass will be partially open to traffic in 2017 and fully operational in 2018. The remainder of the Regina Bypass will be completed in 2019.
Full press release: http://www.saskatchewan.ca/governmen...-city-overpass

This essentially creates a 7 kilometer segment of de-facto freeway between White City and Balgonie, with the intersections with Highway 46 & 48 now replaced by interchanges. There are no other access points on Highway 1 between those interchanges.
Old August 10th, 2017, 09:48 PM   #4296
Cricket_Fan

Ontario Southern and Northern Highways program for 2017-2021 is out now. You can find it at http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/hig...programs.shtml

I haven't looked through in much detail yet, but I found the following interesting things:

1) Most of highway 69 twinning timeline shows "beyond 2021", so we can safely say the revised 2021 deadline won't be met either.
2) The second phase of 401 widening between Hwy 24 and Townline Rd is scheduled for completion in 2021, earlier than I thought it would be.
3) Highway 7 between Kitchener and Guelph shows "beyond 2021".
4) More reconstruction for the 401 through Chatham Kent and Elgin County.
5) Several bridge replacements on the 401 through Middlesex and Oxford county.
6) A lot of bridge replacements and rehabilitations on the 400, even more than before.
7) Not as much resurfacing/reconstruction on the 401 through Eastern Ontario as I had hoped, given the state of the pavement.
Old August 11th, 2017, 02:47 AM   #4297
Kanadzie

They mention resurfacing from Lancaster to Cornwall... that's one of the worst sections IMO

I'm wondering why the auxiliary lanes construction between A-412 and Brock St. is deferred until 2021 when... it appears the asphalt is already there for the most part aroudn the 412 ramps...

But what in the hell is:
QEW
Garden City Skyway bridge, eastbound and
westbound lanes, phase 1, Hamilton
Bridge replacement

Last edited by Kanadzie; August 11th, 2017 at 03:02 AM.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2017, 03:22 AM   #4298
Cricket_Fan

Wow, didn't see that coming. I wonder how much that project will cost and how long that will take and what will their traffic staging plans be for the construction.
Old August 11th, 2017, 03:42 AM   #4299
Kanadzie

it's so vague but precise that I almost wonder if some MTO joker added it in there for fun... since for example the structure is located not in City of Hamilton but Niagara Region...
Old August 11th, 2017, 07:32 AM   #4300
sonysnob

My guess is that "Hamilton" refers to "Hamilton-bound".... but that's of course just a guess as well.

The first step to replacing the bridge deck on the current Garden City Skyway is to build the new Toronto (or Hamilton) bound lanes, so I am guessing that's what this project is.

The MTO completed a study for the twinning of the Garden City Skyway recently.

Here is a rendering of what's proposed:

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto