daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 22nd, 2017, 03:01 AM   #4341
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Still calling for 30 degrees here in Toronto this weekend *shrugs*. Probably similar in Calgary.

The temperature difference in the mountains compared to Calgary is huge. I was there in May, I got caught in a snow squal in BC but by the time I descended into the Okanagan valley it was 25 degrees and sunny, less than an hour of driving later.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 22nd, 2017, 03:30 AM   #4342
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Weather.com has it at - wait for it - 3 Celsius with rain in Calgary at 6 p.m. their time.
U.S. Weather Channel's been talking for a few days about very cold weather (for September) in places like Montana contrasting with much warmer farther east. Some sort of front, or dip in the jet stream.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 01:39 AM   #4343
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

It's 18h40 here and still about 28 degrees
We had a guy calling from Prince Rupert, BC today and he was complaining of cold, about 4 grad. We said, bah, it's 30 here :P

Calgary is particularly interesting because it gets extremely cold and then very hot literally within a day or two when they get "chinook" winds in the winter. But "deadmonton" is just arctic tundra... even just the latitude is amazing when compared to Ontario and east. But for Europeans is nothing.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 07:15 PM   #4344
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4266

Highway 407 and Highway 418 construction in Ontario, north and east of Oshawa.

xzmattzx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2017, 09:55 PM   #4345
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

The original Alaska Highway:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

sonysnob, Highway89, zaphod, pai nosso liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2017, 04:48 PM   #4346
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Construction notes related to the replacement of the Victoria Street overpass in advance of Highway 7 New between K/W and Guelph:

Quote:
7. Project Type (Category):

Construction Administration

8. Specialties Required:

Construction Administration - High Complexity

9. Description of Project:
This project involves the replacement of the Victoria Street North underpass structure, widening of Victoria St from Edna Street to Bruce Street, rehabilitation of the CNR, Wellington and Guelph structures at
Highway 85, Construction of retaining walls, electrical work and utility relocation.

10. Assignment approximate start and completion dates:
Pre-contract engineering phase: N/A
Construction administration phase: (tentative timing) December 2017 to January 2019
Old September 30th, 2017, 02:18 AM   #4347
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Some more detail about the 401 expansion between Mississauga and Milton

http://www.infrastructureontario.ca/Hwy-401-Expansion/

Features
-12 lane core-collector system from the Credit River to Winston Churchill Boulevard;
-10 lanes from Winston Churchill Boulevard to Highway 407 ETR/ Highway 401 interchange;
-12 lane core-collector system from Highway 407 ETR/ Highway 401 interchange to east of the James Snow Parkway;
-10 lanes from the James Snow Parkway to west of Regional Road 25;
-Median HOV lanes; and
-Support facilities and features - drainage, lighting, signage, ATMS, carpool lots etc.

-----

I'd also assume there would be projects in the works to fill in the widening projects in Kitchener (Hwy 8), Cambridge (Hwy 24), Guelph (Hwy 6) and Milton too. Maybe 8+2 HOV minimum from Hwy 8 to Hwy 407 ETR?

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2017, 02:25 AM   #4348
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

^that is the plan. Formally only the parts you mentioned have funding, but I'm sure the rest will fall in place over the next few years.

This 401 widening project is quite large - 11km of new Collector-express lanes and another 7km of 10 lane widening. It will bring the total collector express length on the 401 up to 68km.

MTO in general is planning a lot of widenings in the near future - the 410 and 427 will both finish next year, with the 400 and 404 starting up recently or very soon. The 400 is going to be an equally large program compared to the 401 involving some long distance widenings - it's just a few years behind the 401 project.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2017, 02:34 AM   #4349
Kanadzie

Considering Milton's explosive growth it makes sense but I wonder why only 10 lanes from James Snow to Hwy 25. Keeping the original (from original 401 construction) overpass at Hwy 25? Or maybe just figuring most traffic getting off in west Milton...
Old September 30th, 2017, 02:56 AM   #4350
Cricket_Fan

Likes (Received): 1115

James Snow Parkway underpass only appears to support 10 lanes. Besides, based on AADT that should be more than enough for the near future. I do think they need to have 10 lanes starting from highway 8. There are currently no known plans to widen to 10 lanes from Townline Road to Highway 6 north interchange and from highway 6 South to RR 25.

-----

In other news, it appears a tender has gone out for replacement of Elgin Road underpass in London as well as reconstruction of 7 km of roadway. https://www.raqs.merx.com/public/bul...sf?id=47945001
Cricket_Fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2017, 04:03 AM   #4351
sonysnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket_Fan View Post
James Snow Parkway underpass only appears to support 10 lanes. Besides, based on AADT that should be more than enough for the near future. I do think they need to have 10 lanes starting from highway 8. There are currently no known plans to widen to 10 lanes from Townline Road to Highway 6 north interchange and from highway 6 South to RR 25.
Yeah there are. It's just not yet in the five year funding commitment, but there are definitely plans. I'd expect construction to continue pretty much continually through Wellington County once work is done from Hespeler to Townline.

edit:
here is volume one of the TESR that was completed in West Region to widen from Cambridge to the Halton Regional boundary:
http://highway401-hespeler-townline....-12-Part-1.pdf

I'm not sure if any EA work for the complimenting section east from the Wellington County boundary into Milton is online.

Cricket_Fan liked this post

Last edited by sonysnob; September 30th, 2017 at 03:09 PM.
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2017, 06:01 PM   #4352
Cricket_Fan

Likes (Received): 1115

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Yeah there are. It's just not yet in the five year funding commitment, but there are definitely plans. I'd expect construction to continue pretty much continually through Wellington County once work is done from Hespeler to Townline.

edit:
here is volume one of the TESR that was completed in West Region to widen from Cambridge to the Halton Regional boundary:
http://highway401-hespeler-townline....-12-Part-1.pdf

I'm not sure if any EA work for the complimenting section east from the Wellington County boundary into Milton is online.
Thanks for the link. I remember there used to be a project website for widening 401 from Hespeler to Halton border, but that website disappeared in the last year or so. That's why I thought the plans might have been shelved for now and pushed significantly into the future. I am really hoping by 2025 or so the 401 is widened all the way from Highway 8.
Cricket_Fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2017, 06:33 PM   #4353
sonysnob

The study for "Hespeler to Halton" was split into "Hespeler to Townline", and presumably "Townline to Halton". I am not certain exactly how advanced the design work is for Townline to Halton, but it's not going to construction for a few years, so I'm sure they'll get to it when they need to.
Old September 30th, 2017, 10:47 PM   #4354
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

So did US soldiers built the Alaska Highway within Canada?
Old September 30th, 2017, 10:57 PM   #4355
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Yes, it was built by the U.S. Army in 1942, transferred to the Canadian army in 1946 and then to the public in 1948.

At that time there was no road to northern British Columbia. There wasn't even a road from Prince George to Dawson Creek, it was built as the John Hart Highway in the 1940s to feed to the Alaska Highway. Both are now B.C. Highway 97.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2017, 03:17 AM   #4356
sonysnob

Photos taken today of the Highway 401 expansion project through Mavis Road in Mississauga:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_4...ep17_24x16.jpg

Abhishek901, ChrisZwolle, Haljackey liked this post
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2017, 12:45 AM   #4357
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19132

Autoroute 40 between Montreal and Quebec City:

DSC09077
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC09078
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC09079
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC09082
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC09085
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC09086
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC09088
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC09090
by Geogregor*, on Flickr
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2017, 12:50 AM   #4358
geogregor

The same from different camera:

IMG_4349
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

IMG_4351
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

IMG_4360
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

They are fixing some of the old overpasses:

IMG_4362
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

IMG_4379
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

IMG_4380
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

IMG_4361
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

IMG_4376
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

Arriving to Quebec City:
Old October 3rd, 2017, 01:29 AM   #4359
Kanadzie

nice pictures

Quebecers always seem to take A-20 between Montreal and Quebec instead of the 40. I'm not sure why aside from historical reasons (A-40 was originally tolled) and the hillier terrain, certainly I much prefer its relatively open traffic flow compared to the often congested or slow 20...

There are some roadgeekery things about this road, for example the 40 is supposed to bypass Trois-Rivieres on the north, and the terrain is reserved, but for now (and past 40 years) has a multiplex south on A-55 and then runs on "planned A-755" through the city. And past Quebec Airport the 40 was supposed to continue straight and there are overpasses at A-573 probably 45 years old now that have never had traffic flow underneath

geogregor liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2017, 06:28 PM   #4360
geogregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
nice pictures

Quebecers always seem to take A-20 between Montreal and Quebec instead of the 40. I'm not sure why aside from historical reasons (A-40 was originally tolled) and the hillier terrain, certainly I much prefer its relatively open traffic flow compared to the often congested or slow 20...
I took the A-20 on the way back and it was much busier. Also flat and boring.

Quote:
There are some roadgeekery things about this road, for example the 40 is supposed to bypass Trois-Rivieres on the north, and the terrain is reserved, but for now (and past 40 years) has a multiplex south on A-55 and then runs on "planned A-755" through the city.
Yeah, you can see that junction,leading to A-40 through Trois-Rivieres was designed as exit rather than the main through route.

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto