daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 6th, 2007, 09:03 AM   #421
Tuscani01

Likes (Received): 103

Tuscani01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2007, 06:55 PM   #422
Electrify

Likes (Received): 5

Probably already posted somwhere in here, but here is a freeway plan from the 60s.

While the Spadina and Richview expressways would have been a waste (or at the very least should have been toll routes), but I think the rest of the highways make a lot of sense and would have eased traffic into downtown and may have actually limited sprawl in the region (if people could get downtown to work easier, there'd be more business there rather than in suburban business parks). I did notice a lot of Americans wishing they had expressways as wide as the 401, but if they had built a few of these expressways there may not have been a need for having the 401 being as wide as it is.

The Queen line would have also ensured that Toronto would have remained transit friendly, as it borders the business and entertainment districts, runs through some dense residential districts, and could later be extended to the northeast and northwest corners of the city.

Last edited by Electrify; March 22nd, 2007 at 07:01 PM.
Electrify no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2007, 02:01 PM   #423
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10966

I'm generally opposed to any highways within city limits since cities should be built for people not machines. The Gardiner, DVP, 427, and Allen Road extension should be buried. All side walks should be dramatically widened, and city streets narrowed with possible exception of University Avenue and Spadina. This would create a great city for people. Although an environmental catastrophe, I'll admit to being a fan of highways outside the city.

Highway 401 is a jaw dropper. The busiest on the planet, and one of the widest at 22 lanes at it's maximum. Rather than criticize it, the 401 is perhaps one highway that we should embrace, celebrate, and put on a pedestal.

It is a powerful symbol of our culture, Ontario's position as North America's automobile capital, and what the industrial age has morphed into.

The Ontario government should annex all land within 200 metres of this highway and develop a grand master plan featuring 40 lanes and a grand central dividing section. This section should be turned into a 50 km long by 20 metre wide monument to Canada's industrial past and technological accomplishments. Massive 400 feet monuments, flag poles, gardens, etc.

Perhaps 400 feet tall statues of all Canadian PM's since confederation every 1 km. War memorials, tributes to inventions such as basketball, the light bulb, telephone, etc. and national symbols such as cowboys, bison, the Maple Leaf, the Scales of Justice statue.

I've designed alot of it already.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2007, 02:27 PM   #424
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

When you narrow streets, and close streets for traffic, it only makes congestion worse. You can't have a big city without proper roadinfrastructure. Look at African/Asian cities without motorways, it's a hell of a mess and congestion.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2007, 09:40 PM   #425
LordMandeep

Likes (Received): 12

you have to have Euopean style transit to do that, which is something we don't have.

the DVP is alright as it goes through a river valley.

The 427 really goes through houses and industrial parks and so does the 401. They really haven't effected quality of life.
However those proposed highways would have killed the inner city.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 03:34 AM   #426
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMandeep View Post
you have to have Euopean style transit to do that, which is something we don't have.

the DVP is alright as it goes through a river valley.

The 427 really goes through houses and industrial parks and so does the 401. They really haven't effected quality of life.
However those proposed highways would have killed the inner city.
however, if those highways were built in the 1960s, they would be accepted now and i'm sure the inner city would have 'adapted'
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 04:37 AM   #427
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

Is it true that Route 401 has surpassed 600,000 vehicles/day in one small section near Route 400?

Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 11:10 AM   #428
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten777 View Post
Is it true that Route 401 has surpassed 600,000 vehicles/day in one small section near Route 400?

Seems somewhat unlikely to me. There are rules to determine how much traffic can pass. One lane can handle 1500 vehicles per hour. It is a rule that if you divide 600.000 through 10 (hours) you'll get 60.000, divide that by 1500 (the capacity of one lane, the second lane is even lower, some 1200, but let's take 1500), you'll need at least 40 lanes to handle that amount of traffic.

The 401 has 22 lanes right? So 600.000 seems unlikely to me. Maybe on an intersection with another very busy motorway, it is possible, but not on one single road with such a number of lanes.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 12:12 AM   #429
Xusein

That's what I found on Wikipedia?

Quote:
Highest Volume: 607,800 AADT from Weston Road (Exit 357) to Highway 400 (Exit 359) compared to 510,000 in 2003.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_401_%28Ontario%29
Old April 5th, 2007, 09:28 PM   #430
LordMandeep

its possibile...
Old April 5th, 2007, 11:52 PM   #431
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

In 2004 the MTO reports traffic levels at 420,800 AADT between Weston Road and Highway 400. This is the most recent data available. Any estimation much higher then this is baseless and totally false.

I have done some checking up on various US DOT websites and I am quite sure that Highway 401 is indeed the busiest in North America, and probably the world.
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 04:14 AM   #432
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Toronto vs. Vancouver highways

As a US citizen, I found the photos on this thread of Toronto freeways quite impressive. On the other hand, Vancouver is a very anti-freeway city. Why the difference? Two of the largest cities in the country with such different outlooks on roads. Just curious.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 05:06 AM   #433
Electrify

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker View Post
As a US citizen, I found the photos on this thread of Toronto freeways quite impressive. On the other hand, Vancouver is a very anti-freeway city. Why the difference? Two of the largest cities in the country with such different outlooks on roads. Just curious.
Toronto is/was fairly anti-freeway actually. When this highway was built, it was suburban territory and was considered a by-pass. They were plans to build more freeways in the inner city, including a second crosstown route, but due to protests they never materialized.

So instead of having a second crosstown route, we now have an uber large freeway instead
Electrify no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 05:21 AM   #434
Xusein

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
In 2004 the MTO reports traffic levels at 420,800 AADT between Weston Road and Highway 400. This is the most recent data available. Any estimation much higher then this is baseless and totally false.

I have done some checking up on various US DOT websites and I am quite sure that Highway 401 is indeed the busiest in North America, and probably the world.
Possibly, after all it is Wikipedia.

Still, 420k on one highway is impressive...and a headache for the people who drive it.
Old April 6th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #435
LordMandeep

i have gone on once on a sunday and it was still very busy from volume....

Its the only proper connecting route across an area of 6 milion people. Thats why it is such an massive highway.

There are no plans for creating any new highways. They will just re-make or widen the ones they have. Like the 427 i heard will be re-made in the next decade i heard..
Old April 12th, 2007, 05:01 AM   #436
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Photos of Highway 403 through Hamilton.

Hamilton is a city of about half a million residents and is located about 50km southwest of Toronto.

Highway 403 near Cootes Paradise:
http://www.canhighways.com/ON/PHOTOS...14_west_lg.jpg

3-level interchange near downtown:
http://www.canhighways.com/ON/PHOTOS...-8_east_lg.jpg

403 climbing the Hamilton Mountain:
http://www.canhighways.com/ON/PHOTOS...-3_east_lg.jpg

Aerial view of interchange between Highway 403 and the Lincoln Alexander Parkway:
http://www.canhighways.com/ON/PHOTOS...H5-8_NE_lg.jpg
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 07:59 AM   #437
rick1016

Likes (Received): 15

Nice pictures!
rick1016 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 06:32 AM   #438
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

The roads are very nice, but commieblocks look somewhat depressing.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 09:42 PM   #439
LordMandeep

thats how we developed from the late 60's to the 70's in Eastern Canada...
Old April 13th, 2007, 10:35 PM   #440
Roch5220
My dog rules

Likes (Received): 10

Yes, we were quite commie back then.
Roch5220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto