daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 20th, 2017, 01:28 AM   #4401
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Nefoundland especially is quite close to Europe. a flight to Dublin takes just as long as a flight to Winnipeg from St Johns, it's about 3,000km.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2017, 03:38 AM   #4402
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

There's been a information centre about potential improvements to the Freeman interchange (QEW / 403 / 407) in Burlington, Ont.
http://www.qew403freeman.ca/wp-conte...s-Complete.pdf

seems they are considering extending the HOV lane on QEW to the Skyway bridge.
Considering the epic congestion of this area it seems a bit underwhelming, but any little helps.

I wonder if the HOV lane could transition into a 5th GP lane on the Niagara-bound Skyway, considering the width of the shoulders, it might be able to just fit. It would be so nice to have a 5th lane through to the Red Hill.

The discussion about doubling the loop from QEW Toronto -> 403 Hamilton or changing it to a semi-directional flyover sounds crazy to me though. Is there really that much (or any...) traffic demand for that movement? One would expect the "regional" traffic (e.g. Grimsby -> Brantford) to flow by the Red Hill and Linc instead of veering so far to the east.
Old October 21st, 2017, 03:58 AM   #4403
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

^ The long term traffic modeling for that loop ramp shows that it would need to be widened to two lanes to accommodate future traffic demands, so the directional ramp may end up making sense.

(I am friends with the project manager for the MTO, so I saw the loop ramp proposal a few months ago -- it's nice to actually be able to talk about it now).

The Skyway bridges could conceivably be widened to five lanes per direction, so it wouldn't be impossible to extend an additional lane through to the Red Hill. Keep in mind though that the Toronto-bound lanes of the Burlington Skyway is 58 years old this year. It's probably within two decades itself from needing to be replaced.
Old October 21st, 2017, 04:06 PM   #4404
Burloak

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
^ The long term traffic modeling for that loop ramp shows that it would need to be widened to two lanes to accommodate future traffic demands, so the directional ramp may end up making sense.

(I am friends with the project manager for the MTO, so I saw the loop ramp proposal a few months ago -- it's nice to actually be able to talk about it now).

The Skyway bridges could conceivably be widened to five lanes per direction, so it wouldn't be impossible to extend an additional lane through to the Red Hill. Keep in mind though that the Toronto-bound lanes of the Burlington Skyway is 58 years old this year. It's probably within two decades itself from needing to be replaced.
The new Skyway (Niagara bound) was built in the mid-80's, and then carried all the traffic while the old Skyway was rehabbed. Its width was wider than needed to accommodate this traffic stage (4 lanes, plus 2 right shoulders, 2 left shoulders, and a median). It could likely fit 5 lanes, but even that would be with slightly deficient shoulders.
The old Skyway is narrower (about 17m) and I can't imagine 5 lanes being done here.

Kanadzie liked this post
Burloak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 05:05 PM   #4405
sonysnob

^ The original skyway bridge also carried two lanes per direction, in addition to the median before the 1980s twin was built.

I did some googling this morning to try to find the exact width of both skyway bridges, but didn't find anything online. Looking at street view it appears that the 1980s structure is slightly, though not significantly wider. That said though, it certainly looks possible to me to shoehorn an additional traffic lane onto the Toronto-bound lanes of skyway. Pretty much all of the shoulders would have to be sacrificed, and the lanes would probably need to be narrowed to 3.5m to accommodate the widening, but it doesn't look impossible.

*edit* i'll add my assumptions as to why I think it's possible:

current configuration: 4 lanes at 3.66m each, with 3.0m outside shoulder = 17.64m
five lane configuration: 5 lanes at 3.5m each = 17.5m

Last edited by sonysnob; October 21st, 2017 at 05:19 PM.
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 05:52 PM   #4406
Burloak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
There's been a information centre about potential improvements to the Freeman interchange (QEW / 403 / 407) in Burlington, Ont.
http://www.qew403freeman.ca/wp-conte...s-Complete.pdf

seems they are considering extending the HOV lane on QEW to the Skyway bridge.
Considering the epic congestion of this area it seems a bit underwhelming, but any little helps.

I wonder if the HOV lane could transition into a 5th GP lane on the Niagara-bound Skyway, considering the width of the shoulders, it might be able to just fit. It would be so nice to have a 5th lane through to the Red Hill.

The discussion about doubling the loop from QEW Toronto -> 403 Hamilton or changing it to a semi-directional flyover sounds crazy to me though. Is there really that much (or any...) traffic demand for that movement? One would expect the "regional" traffic (e.g. Grimsby -> Brantford) to flow by the Red Hill and Linc instead of veering so far to the east.
For QEW EB to SB, Alternative 1 appears best (widening towards median). QEW has a wide median for most of this portion with that old sand filled steel median barrier. Not much benefit with option 2, but more complications.

For 403 WB improvements, I prefer the Interim solution 1A. Move the loop NB to WE ramp a bit north of the the overhead bridge piers and have 3 QEW WB lanes continue through the interchange. In the ultimate, I don't like the 2-lane loop ramp and would prefer the Alternative 1B (the broken back option did not look that bad at first, but the existing NB to WB loop ramp has to be retained for those entering at Plains).

For 403 EB improvements, I am not sure if added capacity is needed on the EB to SB ramp. Anyway, even with option 1, it looks like the improvements for the EB to SB ramp could be added in future.

By the way, I noticed Cameron Bevers name at the end. I guess everyone knows about his website. The Kings Highway.
Old October 22nd, 2017, 02:38 AM   #4407
Burloak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
^ The original skyway bridge also carried two lanes per direction, in addition to the median before the 1980s twin was built.

I did some googling this morning to try to find the exact width of both skyway bridges, but didn't find anything online. Looking at street view it appears that the 1980s structure is slightly, though not significantly wider. That said though, it certainly looks possible to me to shoehorn an additional traffic lane onto the Toronto-bound lanes of skyway. Pretty much all of the shoulders would have to be sacrificed, and the lanes would probably need to be narrowed to 3.5m to accommodate the widening, but it doesn't look impossible.

*edit* i'll add my assumptions as to why I think it's possible:

current configuration: 4 lanes at 3.66m each, with 3.0m outside shoulder = 17.64m
five lane configuration: 5 lanes at 3.5m each = 17.5m
For the SBL, I believe it has a 3.5m left lane and 3-3.75m lanes. Plus, 1.0m and 4.0m shoulder (left and right). (Plus 2-0.5m edge barriers, but that's not important). Thus, the total is 19.75m. To add an extra lane, I think you would be looking at 2-3.5m lanes (left 2), 3-3.6m lanes (on right), and a 450mm shoulder on left and 1500 shoulder on right. Well below MTO standards, but possible.

I don't recall the 1980's, but I would guess the new Skyway had 2-3.5m lanes (each direction), with 0.6 median barrier, 0.9m left shoulders and 1.7m right shoulders.

For the NBL, I don't have the exact dimensions, but just looking at google, your 17.5m estimate appears close. I don't think MTO would allow shoulders of less than 0.3m left and 1.0m right, especially for a 2km length.
Old October 22nd, 2017, 08:03 PM   #4408
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Manitoba

A makeshift winter road will be constructed this season between Gillam and Churchill in Manitoba. It will be the first time a winter road is constructed all the way to the Hudson Bay in Manitoba. Churchill is served by a railroad but it is inoperable since it was washed out in May. The winter road will not be a typical one used by semi trucks, but will require sleds and cat trains.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...path-1.4363611
A scheme is in the works to build a temporary winter road to Churchill so food, fuel and other supplies can be delivered in the absence of train service.

"We have all the approvals in place, so this is a go. This is a made-in-Manitoba solution to assist in getting this resolved in a short-term way while everybody else sorts out what's going to be happening with the rail," said Mark Kohaykewych, president of Polar Industries, a transportation company that is one of three groups behind the plan.

The hope is to start preparing the makeshift ice road around Christmas and start hauling things in January. The frost levels need to be deep enough to support the heavy equipment.

The journey is expected to take about 20-30 hours one way, through bush and tundra, said Kohaykewych, whose company specializes in remote regions and has been featured on History Channel's Ice Road Truckers.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2017, 11:13 PM   #4409
sonysnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burloak View Post
For the SBL, I believe it has a 3.5m left lane and 3-3.75m lanes. Plus, 1.0m and 4.0m shoulder (left and right). (Plus 2-0.5m edge barriers, but that's not important). Thus, the total is 19.75m. To add an extra lane, I think you would be looking at 2-3.5m lanes (left 2), 3-3.6m lanes (on right), and a 450mm shoulder on left and 1500 shoulder on right. Well below MTO standards, but possible.

I don't recall the 1980's, but I would guess the new Skyway had 2-3.5m lanes (each direction), with 0.6 median barrier, 0.9m left shoulders and 1.7m right shoulders.

For the NBL, I don't have the exact dimensions, but just looking at google, your 17.5m estimate appears close. I don't think MTO would allow shoulders of less than 0.3m left and 1.0m right, especially for a 2km length.
No, that I agree with. MTO is a fairly conservative highway authority, so while it might be technically feasible (and might even be something that NYSDOT would consider for example), I doubt it's something the MTO would ever implement.

I'd suspect that the 1959 Toronto-bound structure had four twelve foot travel lanes when it was first constructed, which is why I estimated a 3.66 m lane. It's not impossible that the lanes were modernized during the 1980s rehab to a more standard 3.5,3.75,3.75,3.75 configuration as well, but that still doesn't mean the bridge deck is particularly wide.
Old October 22nd, 2017, 11:43 PM   #4410
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

the Toronto direction definitely looks relatively narrow. It's kind of amusing to see such lane widths as narrow though once you've gotten used to that "2.0m no trucks" left lanes in German baustellen tho

It's a good point of the MTO's conservatism which goes to some impressive extremes (absurdly long on-ramps, gigantic shoulders...). It is admirable on one side, but the region has a disastrous traffic situation. Even some European-style "active shoulder" would be welcome...

Particularly on this area (around the Skyway) some "intelligent" measures would work wonders... like advising the lift-bridge is open on the QEW instead of letting traffic exit for Eastport, go 200 m and get stopped for 20 minutes. Or when they close one end of the Skyway as happens so frequently, close Eastport and the lift-bridge completely in one direction and have it run all lanes unidirectionally. It seems easily implemented and would have a considerable amount of wasted time and fuel... Or even a more traditional "1+3" reversible lane setup, considering the highly tidal nature of the crossing...

Last edited by Kanadzie; October 22nd, 2017 at 11:49 PM.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2017, 08:18 PM   #4411
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A tanker truck crashed into a jackknifed truck on Highway 1 east of Revelstoke, B.C. Another Highway Thru Hell...

Old October 26th, 2017, 12:55 AM   #4412
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19144

Few of my videos from driving in the east of the country:

Hwy 132, roughly parallel to Autoroute 20:

Autoroute 85 heading towards New Brunswick:

Part of my long drive across New Brunswick. Quite a mess on the windscreen but I would have to stop every 15-20 minutes to keep it clean. Bloody bugs.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2017, 05:45 AM   #4413
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

New Arctic coast highway connects Tuktoyaktuk to the rest of Canada

My Simcity Stuff

Luki_SL liked this post
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2017, 11:07 PM   #4414
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Regina Bypass, Saskatchewan

Phase One of the Regina Bypass Complete

The first phase of the Regina Bypass construction between Balgonie and Highway 33 is now complete, marking a major milestone for the project. The bypass will improve safety, divert large truck traffic around Regina and help eliminate traffic congestion.

Phase one of the project includes new overpasses at Balgonie, White City and Tower Road. It also includes new south and east service roads from Highway 33 to Pilot Butte, north service roads from Pilot Butte to Balgonie and south service roads from Pilot Butte to Balgonie. The Pilot Butte interchange will be complete in 2018.

The Regina Bypass Design Builders will complete the remaining construction for the bypass in 2019. This includes the south route from Highway 33 to Highway 1 west including new interchanges at Highway 6 and 1. It also includes the west route from Highway 1 west to Highway 11 north, which includes overpasses at Hill Avenue, Dewdney Avenue, 9th Avenue and Highway 11.
Full press release: http://www.saskatchewan.ca/governmen...ypass-complete

This is the first new alignment freeway section of the Regina Bypass project to open to traffic, from Highway 33 (Arcola Avenue) to Highway 1 (Tower Road / Trans-Canada Highway). The new alignment freeway is approximately 5 kilometers long.

Earlier over the summer two new interchanges opened to traffic, turning Highway 1 between Regina and Balgonie into a freeway.

On 26 July, the Balgonie Highway 46 interchange opened to traffic. On 11 August, the White City Highway 48 interchange opened to traffic. They eliminated driveway access and other at-grade access points, turning this section into a freeway.

Once the Pilot Butte diverging diamond interchange opens to traffic in 2018, there will be a 22 kilometer freeway section from Hwy 33 to Hwy 10 at Balgonie.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL liked this post
Old October 31st, 2017, 10:32 PM   #4415
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Alaska Highway, Yukon

$200M plan to upgrade Alaska Highway in Whitehorse 'no longer on'

A $200 million project to upgrade a stretch of the Alaska Highway through Whitehorse is "no longer on," says Yukon's minister for the Department of Highways and Public Works.

The plan, first hatched in 2015 by the Yukon Party government, was focused on a roughly 40-kilometre stretch between the South Klondike highway (the Carcross cut-off), and the North Klondike highway.

It would have seen some sections widened to four lanes, improvements at intersections, and more space for pedestrians and cyclists.

Highways and Public Works Minister Richard Mostyn confirmed Monday that his government has pulled the plug.
full report: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/...lled-1.4379403

According to Yukon 2011 traffic counts, the AADT on this stretch is only 4,166 vehicles per day (ASDT of 4,900).
Old November 1st, 2017, 10:23 PM   #4416
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
According to Yukon 2011 traffic counts, the AADT on this stretch is only 4,166 vehicles per day (ASDT of 4,900).
The widening / reconstruction work here would be to improve safety, not traffic flow. Much of the Alaska Highway is still using 1940's design specs which... Isn't the best.

A crash / breakdown on these roads can be very costly as parts / supplies need to come in from afar. Also, if the roads are closed for various reasons, detrours are often lengthy or non-existent until the road is cleaned up.

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2017, 04:32 AM   #4417
sonysnob

Some up to date photos of the 407 construction in Durham Region. These were taken earlier today. Photos progress from west to east:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_4...3-17_24x16.jpg

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_4...ov17_24x16.jpg

keokiracer, Highway89, Luki_SL, pai nosso liked this post

Last edited by sonysnob; November 4th, 2017 at 04:47 AM.
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2017, 08:23 AM   #4418
highwayfan1232

Likes (Received): 3

Hope it could be completed and opened next month and how come you didn’t take photos east of Highway 418?

Last edited by highwayfan1232; November 4th, 2017 at 05:32 PM.
highwayfan1232 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2017, 12:50 PM   #4419
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Highway 1, Saskatchewan

The Pilot Butte diverging diamond interchange east of Regina partially opened to traffic yesterday.

Old November 14th, 2017, 12:18 AM   #4420
Cricket_Fan

Likes (Received): 1117

There are plans to close Highway 401 in Milton at the RR25 interchange for 18 hours, on November 18 and 19. They are replacing the RR25 underpass at that interchange and need to demolish the existing underpass. I believe the new underpass is almost done.

Here are more details: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/tra...tract2014-2009
Cricket_Fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto