daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old December 28th, 2017, 02:37 AM   #4481
smokiboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,008
Likes (Received): 149

I've been driving the stretch of QEW between 427 and Mississauga Road most days for the last six months or so, and this section is almost always very heavy. Bumper to bumper during rush hour is a given, but even in the 'off hours' (good one) it is very heavy. Unfortunately there really is no space to widen this section without some serious expropriation and tearing down of support walls, and major bridge expansion.

Needless to say I would love to see a wider QEW. Cheers boys!
smokiboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 31st, 2017, 04:56 AM   #4482
highwayfan1232
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 16
Likes (Received): 3

The 407ETR will increase the toll rates by February 1: https://www.407etr.com/en/tolls/rate...art-light.html

Compare with the 2013 rates, a huge increase: https://www.407etr.com/en/highway/ne...012-12-31.html
highwayfan1232 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2017, 11:06 AM   #4483
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,572
Likes (Received): 19366

51 cents per kilometer, that is absurd.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2017, 04:27 PM   #4484
highwayfan1232
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 16
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
51 cents per kilometer, that is absurd.
Yep, that's doubled the 2013 toll rate during peak hours. I bet fewer people would use that highway when these new toll rates comes to effect.
highwayfan1232 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2017, 05:02 PM   #4485
Burloak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 20
Likes (Received): 6

The 2003 Liberal election promise was to roll back toll rates when it was 15 cents/km. That promise was broken in 2006.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...rticle1096758/
Burloak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2017, 05:41 PM   #4486
sonysnob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North York
Posts: 963
Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burloak View Post
The 2003 Liberal election promise was to roll back toll rates when it was 15 cents/km. That promise was broken in 2006.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...rticle1096758/
I'd be hesitant to apply too much blame of the 407 toll rates to the Liberal government -- perhaps that wasn't your intent, though it did kind of read that way. The Libs (and really any future governments) hands are tied when it comes to the 407 toll rates. The PC's signed a bad deal when the 407 was leased back in 1999. I don't think anybody with the government at the time really understood how much value that highway had to the GTA.

Just for interests sake, the 91 Express Toll Facility in Orange County, California had a similar deal with local governments for the operation of the 91 Express Toll Lanes in the median of the 91 Freeway in Orange County. There agreement only lasted 15 years however, and Orange County bought the consortium out with several years left on their deal, as the 91 Express Toll Consortium was threatening legal action over other proposed network improvements that could have had implications to their toll revenue. There was a non-compete clause in the 91 Express Toll Facility's contract with the government. The 407 also has a non-compete clause in it's contract, though I don't know if it's worded the same way.
__________________
Asphaltplanet.ca
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2017, 07:54 PM   #4487
Burloak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 20
Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayfan1232 View Post
Yep, that's doubled the 2013 toll rate during peak hours. I bet fewer people would use that highway when these new toll rates comes to effect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
I'd be hesitant to apply too much blame of the 407 toll rates to the Liberal government -- perhaps that wasn't your intent, though it did kind of read that way. The Libs (and really any future governments) hands are tied when it comes to the 407 toll rates. The PC's signed a bad deal when the 407 was leased back in 1999. I don't think anybody with the government at the time really understood how much value that highway had to the GTA.

Just for interests sake, the 91 Express Toll Facility in Orange County, California had a similar deal with local governments for the operation of the 91 Express Toll Lanes in the median of the 91 Freeway in Orange County. There agreement only lasted 15 years however, and Orange County bought the consortium out with several years left on their deal, as the 91 Express Toll Consortium was threatening legal action over other proposed network improvements that could have had implications to their toll revenue. There was a non-compete clause in the 91 Express Toll Facility's contract with the government. The 407 also has a non-compete clause in it's contract, though I don't know if it's worded the same way.
I opposed the NDP giving out a 25 year lease on the 407, I opposed the PC's extending the lease to 99 years, and I opposed the Liberals promising to lower tolls when they knew it was impossible.
Burloak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2017, 08:32 PM   #4488
Abhishek901
Registered User
 
Abhishek901's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,760
Likes (Received): 1203

Because of these high tolls, even those drivers who have only 401 as an option suffer because those who could have used 407 don't use it.

I would not mind tolling 401 with low rates and cross-subsidizing 407. Traffic on 401 is much higher and having one-fourth of 407's toll rates would be good enough to make 407 really cheap to use. Once that happens and both highways have similar toll rates, a lot of 401's traffic will shift to 407 and we have a lot of right of way to expand 407 for that extra load.

If tolling 401 ends up being really unpopular then only those vehicles which are crossing GTA can be tolled, while traffic entering 401 and/or exiting 401 within GTA (the commuter traffic) won't have to pay. Conversely, through traffic on 407 in GTA can be made toll free so that the long distance traffic used 407, unclogging 401.

Even if province has to pay money to concessionaire to make those trips toll free, it is still much cheaper than building GTA West highway or re-configuring 401-427 interchange or other congested portions of 401. Province has made the situation worse by tolling 407 East and 412 as if 407 ETR wasn't expensive enough to use.
Abhishek901 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2017, 11:47 PM   #4489
sonysnob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North York
Posts: 963
Likes (Received): 860

^ At some point in the future, it might make a lot more sense to address the 400/401 and 401/427 interchanges. If one assumes a service life of 75 years for those bridges, and consider that they are all already about 50 years old, it's not outlandish to think about addressing the capacity issues at those locations.

The 1960's era Keele Street bridge has already been replaced, and the 1960's era Avenue Road bridge is slated to be replaced starting I believe next year.

What's interesting to me is, what the government of the day's appetite is to address those issues when the time comes for bridge replacements.
__________________
Asphaltplanet.ca
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2018, 11:03 PM   #4490
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,572
Likes (Received): 19366

Highway 407 in Ontario

Ontario Opens New Section of Highway in Durham Region

The Next Phase of Highway 407 Opens Today

Ontario is improving traffic flow and reducing congestion in Durham region, with the next phase of Highway 407 from Harmony Road to Taunton Road in Clarington now open.

The first phase of the Highway 407 extension, which opened last year and included a new Highway 412, is already seeing approximately 40,000 vehicles per day, improving travel times across this growing region. The new addition of 9.6 kilometres to Highway 407, including two new interchanges, will allow even more commuters and families travel across the region faster.
Full press release: https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2018/...am-region.html
__________________

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Abhishek901 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 05:37 AM   #4491
Abhishek901
Registered User
 
Abhishek901's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,760
Likes (Received): 1203

Wasn't a portion of 418 supposed to open with this extension?
Abhishek901 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 06:56 AM   #4492
smokiboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,008
Likes (Received): 149

How far east is 407 supposed to go?
smokiboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 07:23 AM   #4493
smokiboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,008
Likes (Received): 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek901 View Post
Wasn't a portion of 418 supposed to open with this extension?

I think a very small portion was, to Taunton Road.
smokiboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 07:57 AM   #4494
Cricket_Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 615
Likes (Received): 1115

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokiboy View Post
How far east is 407 supposed to go?
Up until 35/115.
Cricket_Fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 04:21 PM   #4495
sonysnob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North York
Posts: 963
Likes (Received): 860

Not really new information, but the schedule for the Replacement of the Franklin Street overpass this year:

Quote:
6. Project Length/Location:
This project is located on Highway 401, and the project limits are from 0.4 km west of the Franklin Boulevard Underpass, easterly for approximately 0.8 km on Highway 401


7. Project Type (Category):

Construction Administration


8. Specialties Required:

Construction Administration - High Complexity


9. Description of Project:
This project involves the replacement of the Franklin Boulevard Bridges over Highway 401, Site 33-151, to accommodate the future expansion of Highway 401.


10. Assignment approximate start and completion dates:
Pre-contract engineering phase: March 2018 to December 2018
Construction administration phase: (tentative timing) March 2018 to December 2018
__________________
Asphaltplanet.ca
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 07:39 PM   #4496
smokiboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,008
Likes (Received): 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket_Fan View Post
Up until 35/115.
Thanks.

Earthworks are quite evident on GE. However I don't like the way that interchange seems to be being built. There does not seem to be a 'smooth' transition or flow from 407 to 35/115, (and vice versa) rather, it seems it will be fairly abrupt. Well, the main thing is that the connection will be made by 2020.
smokiboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 02:23 AM   #4497
Abhishek901
Registered User
 
Abhishek901's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,760
Likes (Received): 1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket_Fan View Post
Up until 35/115.
Unfortunately, it would be 4 km south of 35/115. The access to 35 from 407 will be via 115.
Abhishek901 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 02:32 AM   #4498
Cricket_Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 615
Likes (Received): 1115

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokiboy View Post
Thanks.

Earthworks are quite evident on GE. However I don't like the way that interchange seems to be being built. There does not seem to be a 'smooth' transition or flow from 407 to 35/115, (and vice versa) rather, it seems it will be fairly abrupt. Well, the main thing is that the connection will be made by 2020.
I think we should wait until there is newer imagery or construction pictures. Based on what I can see, going from 35/115 south to 407, and going from 407 to 35/115 South will be fairly smooth. Going from 407 to 35/115 North doesn't look very smooth at this point but it's probably worth waiting until there is newer imagery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek901 View Post
Unfortunately, it would be 4 km south of 35/115. The access to 35 from 407 will be via 115.
The interchange will be 4 km south of where 35 and 115 split. 35/115 seems to similar to highway 11 just north of 400. It's not a full freeway because of RIRO interchanges and its not fully access controlled, but overall its not bad either.
Cricket_Fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 02:35 AM   #4499
Cricket_Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 615
Likes (Received): 1115

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokiboy View Post
I've been driving the stretch of QEW between 427 and Mississauga Road most days for the last six months or so, and this section is almost always very heavy. Bumper to bumper during rush hour is a given, but even in the 'off hours' (good one) it is very heavy. Unfortunately there really is no space to widen this section without some serious expropriation and tearing down of support walls, and major bridge expansion.

Needless to say I would love to see a wider QEW. Cheers boys!
I think my hair my turn white before QEW gets widened there. As you said, there is literally no room to widen any more there. It all comes down high speed rail and effective mass transit, something that GTA is still far far behind in.
__________________

smokiboy liked this post
Cricket_Fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 03:49 AM   #4500
highwayfan1232
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 16
Likes (Received): 3

This is the Highway 401 west of Toronto video during 9/11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP19FvIu0BE
highwayfan1232 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium