daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 6th, 2018, 12:20 AM   #4501
smokiboy

Likes (Received): 149

Has anyone heard of any updates on Ontario's proposed 400 series highway from Fort Erie to St. Thomas at the 401/402 area? Is this still in the conceptual stage?
smokiboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2018, 01:17 AM   #4502
Abhishek901

Likes (Received): 1203

Are you asking about mid-peninsula highway? That one is not under consideration anymore. It may be revived in next few decades but not in near future.
Abhishek901 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2018, 01:40 AM   #4503
Cricket_Fan

Likes (Received): 1115

I didn't even know such highway was ever under consideration. I definitely don't see that getting built in the first half of this century.
Cricket_Fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2018, 02:59 AM   #4504
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

The mid pen never went out to St Thomas anyway, it was always planned to connect to the 403 near Hamilton. And yes, it's dead. They've decided to just widen the QEW more.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2018, 04:57 AM   #4505
smokiboy

Thanks for the updates. Thought it was still on the table.
Old January 6th, 2018, 03:34 PM   #4506
smokiboy

What sections of the QEW are planned to be widened?
Old January 6th, 2018, 06:02 PM   #4507
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

A number of years ago, when Ontario first identified it's HOV lane network, the QEW from Stoney Creek easterly to St. Catherines was shown as a future (I think medium term) candidate for HOV lanes through that section.

When the QEW was widened from four to six lanes easterly from Stoney Creek back in the early 1990s, the highway was actually built with an eight-lane platform. The outside shoulder of the highway was constructed with a concrete road base (which is not typical), and all of the overhead signs were constructed to be long enough for an eventual eight-lane cross-section.

That said, today, to my knowledge, there are no immediate plans to widen that section of the QEW. Construction does not appear on the five year plan, and I'm not aware of any preliminary studies that have looked at widening.

So, all that said, eventually while the QEW will indeed have a wider cross-section east of Hamilton, it's not something that is coming with any immediacy.

smokiboy liked this post
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2018, 11:46 PM   #4508
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

The Mid-Pen does seem listed as "planning for the future" in the "southern hwy programme" document (pg 51) http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/hig...-2017-2021.pdf

I kind of wonder how they had planned this earlier in the end of the PC government... having a mid-pen and "GTA West" as a kind of super QEW curving around Hamilton on the mountain would be nice...
Old January 7th, 2018, 06:45 AM   #4509
Burloak

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokiboy View Post
Thanks for the updates. Thought it was still on the table.
There are two distinct projects.
  • I think it was a 1960's plan to connect St. Thomas to Nanticoke to Fort Erie. I have heard about this, but never seen anything firm about it. I am not even sure if it was to be a full freeway, or a RiRo (Right-In, Right-Out, similar to hwy 11 south of Gravenhurst). Anyways, both St. Thomas and Nanticoke aren't as important as they used to be, and Haldimand-Norfolk is not the booming industrial area they anticipated. I believe this project has been dead for 40 years.
  • The mid-pen Highway was derived in the 1990's to go from near Hamilton airport (west of Lincoln Alexander Pkwy) to between Niagara Falls and Fort Erie. The connection to the East side of Hamilton (and the entire route for that matter), was not finalized. Together with a twinning of the Peace Bridge in Fort Erie, it was to provide an alternate route than through St. Catharines and Niagara to get to the border. If you look at the QEW, it is basically stop and go from Mississauga to Niagara on weekends from 10:00 to 17:00. On weekdays, it is getting more packed through Stoney Creek with commuters. The Liberals killed this one, but I could see this being reconsidered. Although maybe more truck traffic will take the 401 and the Gordie Howe bridge and this route may not be as popular as thought in the 90's.

Last edited by Burloak; January 7th, 2018 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Added image
Burloak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2018, 03:33 AM   #4510
Cricket_Fan

The 412 extension doesn't appear to be available on google maps yet. It used to be case that google maps was updated in no more than 3 days (usually 2) after a highway was extended, or realigned, or interchange redesigned, etc. Now it appears to take weeks, if not months and I've no idea why.
Old January 8th, 2018, 06:30 PM   #4511
sonysnob

Details on the next phase of the 401 reconstruction:

Quote:
6. Project Length/Location:
The limits of the project are from 0.13 km east of Drake Road to 1.4 km east of Charing Cross Road (EBL) and from 2.0 km west of Mull Road to 1.4 km west of Victoria Road. This project also includes HTCMB from 0.9km east of Essex Road 42 easterly to Victoria Road.

7. Project Type (Category):

Construction Administration

8. Specialties Required:

Construction Administration - High Complexity

9. Description of Project:
This assignment is for Construction Administration Services, including Quality Assurance Field Testing and sample delivery for Contract 2017-3023. The work on the project includes reconstruction of highway 401 Eastbound lanes and rehabilitation of bridges and culverts. The work also includes grading, drainage, concrete paving, hot mix paving, granular base and electrical.

10. Assignment approximate start and completion dates:
Pre-contract engineering phase: N/A
Construction administration phase: (tentative timing) April 2018 to June 2020
Things that I noticed... concrete paving (not surprising), and high tension cable median barrier (which I knew about, but still noteworthy, a first for a highway in Ontario)
Old January 8th, 2018, 06:38 PM   #4512
Cricket_Fan

I assume this contract is entirely for eastbound lanes, since it mentions that on hwy401reconstruction.ca. The contract details don't mention that for the Mull Road to Victoria road construction. Do we know which will be done first and which second?
Old January 8th, 2018, 06:46 PM   #4513
sonysnob

^ I don't know the order of which the construction will be staged.

I believe this work will be done in tandem with the work that is going to be undertaken to the east near London.
Old January 8th, 2018, 08:13 PM   #4514
Cricket_Fan

Yup, it appears this will be done in parallel with the London side of construction. That contract has already been awarded. Interestingly, that contract seems much bigger as it includes 2 bridge replacements. One other difference is that they're doing eastbound and westbound in the same contract, whereas the contracts for Chatham side have only included one or the other.
Old January 8th, 2018, 08:52 PM   #4515
sonysnob

The work closer to London was done as a design-build project, whereas the projects closer to Chatham are being tendered through the MTO's more conventional bidding process.
Old January 9th, 2018, 02:49 AM   #4516
Abhishek901

Likes (Received): 1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket_Fan View Post
The 412 extension doesn't appear to be available on google maps yet. It used to be case that google maps was updated in no more than 3 days (usually 2) after a highway was extended, or realigned, or interchange redesigned, etc. Now it appears to take weeks, if not months and I've no idea why.
412 has been there on the maps since pretty long. Many months or may be a year.
Abhishek901 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 03:16 AM   #4517
Cricket_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek901 View Post
412 has been there on the maps since pretty long. Many months or may be a year.
Whoops, I meant 407 extension that opened recently.
Old January 9th, 2018, 03:22 PM   #4518
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19352

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket_Fan View Post
They do not accept changes from users anymore. I suspect they want to map any new road with their own Street View car, perhaps in relation to their self-driving vehicle.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Cricket_Fan liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 04:55 PM   #4519
Cricket_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
They do not accept changes from users anymore. I suspect they want to map any new road with their own Street View car, perhaps in relation to their self-driving vehicle.
That would explain it. Speaking of that, it seems like the 407 extension is available just this morning on google maps. Although it appears to be missing the Enfield road interchange.
Old January 9th, 2018, 09:48 PM   #4520
Balkanada
why worry?

Likes (Received): 886

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The rules of the King Street pilot in downtown Toronto that was launched recently were reflected in Google Maps since day one so I suspect Google still accepts changes if they're submitted by government officials
Balkanada no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto