daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 18th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #641
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Québec autoroutes

News in Québec are now reporting that the provincial government is escalating investigations of the integrity of no less than 140 overpasses up and down the St-Lawrence valley. This bit of news is the biggest one of a string of articles touching upon the overall state of the province's autoroute network.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2007, 09:25 PM   #642
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Yeah we have those problems too with bridges build in the seventies. Some of them are even closed for truck traffic (including motorways!)
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 11:57 AM   #643
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10969

Does anyone have a map showing which sections of the Trans-Canada are twinned AND divided highway. Is there any province where it is all twinned AND divided? I would imagine that Nova Scotia or Quebec would be closest to this standard.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 08:31 PM   #644
vid

Likes (Received): 921

Actually, Saskatchewan and Manitoba are pretty close to being entirely twinned and divided, and have speed limits of about 110 to 120 in some places, simply because of the distance. New Brunswick also has lots of divided highway.
Old July 26th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #645
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Actually, Saskatchewan and Manitoba are pretty close to being entirely twinned and divided, and have speed limits of about 110 to 120 in some places, simply because of the distance. New Brunswick also has lots of divided highway.

The stretch in Quebec from the Rivier du Loup area south-east into NB I believe was supposed to be twinned at some point in the not-too-distant future. I'm not sure of the status through that area, however.
Also, a couple of summers ago I was on the TCH near Grand Falls, NB and it was a regular two-laner but you could see where they were making way for a twinning through there- I guess to meet up with the section between Fredricton and Woodstock.

Last edited by Billpa; July 26th, 2007 at 11:24 PM.
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 10:05 PM   #646
Bartolo

Likes (Received): 1

The TCH is twinned from the ST. Jacques to St. Leonard and then its twinned near Woodstock and then from Kingsclear, a little west of Fredericton to the NB-NS Border
Bartolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 04:22 AM   #647
isaidso
the new republic

So, Ontario and BC would be furthest behind in twinning. I think New Brunswick still has a way to go. Almost none of it north of Fredericton is twinned unless major construction has happened in the past 5 years.
Old July 28th, 2007, 07:51 AM   #648
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
So, Ontario and BC would be furthest behind in twinning. I think New Brunswick still has a way to go. Almost none of it north of Fredericton is twinned unless major construction has happened in the past 5 years.
http://www.gnb.ca/0113/tch/index-e.asp
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 11:46 AM   #649
isaidso
the new republic

Thank you very much AUchamps, that is exactly the type of map I was looking for. New Brunswick has made massive improvement in the Trans-Canada since I last travelled it. I'm very impressed. Do you have any for other provinces?
Old July 29th, 2007, 03:58 AM   #650
Bartolo

Likes (Received): 1

I think all provinces can easily get there sections of the Trans-Canada twinned minus Ontario, BC and Alberta. Ontario because they amount of roadway needing to be twinned is huge, and if they do choose to, they will most likely take the northern route using highway 11 since it is located on mostly flat terrain, and would be cheaper to construct on, also it is the slightly shorter route. And I don't see BC or Alberta completing their sections through the Rockies.
Bartolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2007, 04:11 AM   #651
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

I think the TCH through Alberta likely will be twinned in the not-do-distant future. Aside from the mess that 16th Avenue is in Calgary, there isn't much left to do through Banff.

I think a lot more of BC's segment will get twinned as well. While the road isn't all that busy, it is often built to often geometry, and traffic often gets backed up, particularly since long passing lanes are very scarce in BC.
Old July 29th, 2007, 07:13 AM   #652
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

Likes (Received): 366

The TCH is twinned in Saskatchewan along #1 Highway. The portion of #16 highway which is also designated TCH is about half twinned. The final portion between Lloydminster and Saskatoon will be completed this year. The only portion not twinned will be from Saskatoon eastward thru Yorkton and on to the Manitoba border. At present the government has no plans to twin this section.

zyxwvutsrqponmlkjihgfedcba
Calvin W está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2007, 07:58 AM   #653
vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartolo View Post
I think all provinces can easily get there sections of the Trans-Canada twinned minus Ontario, BC and Alberta. Ontario because they amount of roadway needing to be twinned is huge, and if they do choose to, they will most likely take the northern route using highway 11 since it is located on mostly flat terrain, and would be cheaper to construct on, also it is the slightly shorter route. And I don't see BC or Alberta completing their sections through the Rockies.
They wouldn't twin 11. With the exception of Thunder Bay, no other major cities are on the 11. If they're twinning the Trans-Canada through Northern Ontario, it will be highway 17, and it will probably be the last part of the entire Trans-Canada to be twinned aside from Highway 11, which in all likely hood will never be twinned. If current population trends continue, the NWO Section would probably warrant twinning around 2700, with the Northeastern Ontario never being fully twinned as it's population is plummeting. (NWO gained about 2000 between 2001 and 2006, and the numbers are increasing over time, while NEO has been continually dropping outside of it's major centres)

By the time the Trans-Canada in Northern Ontario is twinned, we'll have advanced to whatever replaces cars. Probably teleportation or something. Seriously. Unless we do get to the point where the North is one riding (around 2250 or so if we don't keep fighting) and then the North ends up having the Premier, maybe we'll see twinning sooner. But otherwise, I wouldn't bet on is being more than 33% twinned before 3000.
Old July 31st, 2007, 02:11 AM   #654
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

So what are you saying vid? No twinning in Northern Ontario before 2250, 2700 or is it 3000?

Old July 31st, 2007, 12:58 PM   #655
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
I think the TCH through Alberta likely will be twinned in the not-do-distant future. Aside from the mess that 16th Avenue is in Calgary, there isn't much left to do through Banff.
What is the nature of the mess at 16th Avenue? If this is a highway, how could there possibly be any obstructions such as intersections, stop signs, traffic lights, etc. Are there too few lanes at this section of the Trans-Canada, thus causing a bottle neck?
Old July 31st, 2007, 02:07 PM   #656
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

Quote:
What is the nature of the mess at 16th Avenue? If this is a highway, how could there possibly be any obstructions such as intersections, stop signs, traffic lights, etc. Are there too few lanes at this section of the Trans-Canada, thus causing a bottle neck?
It is not a highway but a street.

Old July 31st, 2007, 02:15 PM   #657
vid

Northern Ontario will probably be one riding in 2250, while the south will be about 350. :P Nothing in the Northwest will warrant twinning before 2700, and the North won't have more than a third of it's highways twinned in 3000.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 03:11 PM   #658
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin W View Post
It is not a highway but a street.
WHAT? OMG!! The Trans Canada Highway turns into a street? I'm absolutely floored. As far as I'm concerned, they haven't finished building it yet then. Highways have zero obstructions on them. That's what makes them highways.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 03:23 PM   #659
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

Quote:
WHAT? OMG!! The Trans Canada Highway turns into a street? I'm absolutely floored. As far as I'm concerned, they haven't finished building it yet then. Highways have zero obstructions on them. That's what makes them highways.
Guess what leave Toronto and most highways at some point in time turn into streets.

As for the Trans Canada highway, it is a highway not What you are mistaken it for a Freeway.

Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:14 PM   #660
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin W View Post
Guess what leave Toronto and most highways at some point in time turn into streets.

As for the Trans Canada highway, it is a highway not What you are mistaken it for a Freeway.
Well, highways must have a beginning and an end, so it's fine that highways in Toronto eventually begin/end at streets (well, a lot of small provincial or county highways ARE streets in many cases, but the 400 series strictly speaking exit to a street at the end, they do not turn into a street all of a sudden). The Trans-Canada, on the other hand, turns into streets in the middle.

However, with that being said, the Trans-Canada isn't really a highway, but more so simply a label given to a set of different roads in Canada, following which you can cross Canada. And yes, the legal definition of "highway" is simply a road (doesn't even have to be paved).

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto