daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:21 PM   #661
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

Likes (Received): 22

i knew going into it that the trans canada is now four lanes, divided, with a shoulder etc., i knew it was for the great majority of the time a two lane road. the scenery is nice and honestly i dont think automobile traffic in Canada has warranted the transformation of the THC into a full motorway. but it would be excellent for safety...
OettingerCroat no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:33 PM   #662
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin W View Post
Guess what leave Toronto and most highways at some point in time turn into streets.

As for the Trans Canada highway, it is a highway not What you are mistaken it for a Freeway.
I have no idea what a freeway is, but I've always understood a highway to be controlled access, free of stop signs, intersections, traffic lights, or any obstacle. Highways always impose minimum speed limits and ban stopping. Allowances for emergencies or rest are permitted, but even here, vehicles must pull way off on to the shoulder and display hazard lights.

I suppose I haven't travelled in Western Canada or Northern Ontario, so it came as a big shock that there might be a lower standard of what constitutes a highway. I lived in Nova Scotia for 20 years. Even in this vastly poorer region, the Trans Canada Highway is not a road. The 100 series of highways in Nova Scotia aren't roads either. Only secondary or minor routes resemble roads.

The rural backroads of Canada I would expect it, but not the major east-west highway of the nation, and especially approaching the 5th largest metropolitan area in the country. A rich one, at that.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 01:14 AM   #663
algonquin

^ that's all crazy talk. There are very many 2-lane highways all across Southern Ontario alone with no controlled access, lots of stop signs, street lights, etc. All of the Kings highways follow into this catergory... 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 69, 17, etc, etc. They're all highways.
algonquin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 02:03 AM   #664
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19203

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I have no idea what a freeway is, but I've always understood a highway to be controlled access, free of stop signs, intersections, traffic lights, or any obstacle. Highways always impose minimum speed limits and ban stopping. Allowances for emergencies or rest are permitted, but even here, vehicles must pull way off on to the shoulder and display hazard lights.
As far as I know, freeway is North American word for what we in Europe call motorway which is limited access highway.
Highway is, again as far as I know, mostly north american word for good old road.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 03:03 AM   #665
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
As far as I know, freeway is North American word for what we in Europe call motorway which is limited access highway.
Highway is, again as far as I know, mostly north american word for good old road.
That would be correct. All Interstates are highways, but not all highways are Interstates. Some Highways are built by a state or city and are signed as a State Route even though it's built to Interstate standards. Same with some privately built toll roads. Built to Interstate standards, but not signed as Interstates because of the fact that it wasn't built with Federal funds. Now, some roads can petition to become part of the Interstate system but that too takes time and waiting.
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 05:31 AM   #666
Bartolo

Likes (Received): 1

I say highway for a major road, the legal definition of highway is any road, put the de facto definition is major road.

What I find weird is in Fredericton they have signs, that say controlled access highway ends, even though you're not even on one. I find it so odd, I will post pic some day, and its right at the THC in New Maryland, 5 mins outside Fredericton.
Bartolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 08:37 AM   #667
vid

Likes (Received): 921

Quote:
WHAT? OMG!! The Trans Canada Highway turns into a street? I'm absolutely floored. As far as I'm concerned, they haven't finished building it yet then. Highways have zero obstructions on them. That's what makes them highways.
LOL

Then it will never be a highway! The Trans-Canada highway's very being a street is what keeps about 50% of small towns in the northwest alive! The fact that you have to slow down makes people think, 'Hey, let's have a burger!', it fuels the economy. Besides, traffic volumes don't exactly warrant it.

I follow these definitions:

Highway: Any road that is used to take traffic between cities and towns, and is under jurisdiction of a body of government above municipal, highways can be anything from a one lane dirt road to a 12 lane freeway. This is a blanket term, not unlike the word "street" or "road". Highway 807, Highway 17, and Highway 401, are all highways.

Freeway: A highway, controlled access, that does not charge a toll. Highway 69, highway 403, are Freeways.

Tollway: A highway, controlled access, which does charge a toll. Highway 407 is a tollway.

Expressway: A freeway which is entirely controlled access, completely free of obstructions and used to get from one distant location to another in a timely manner. Highway 401 is an expressway.
Old August 4th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #668
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
^ that's all crazy talk. There are very many 2-lane highways all across Southern Ontario alone with no controlled access, lots of stop signs, street lights, etc. All of the Kings highways follow into this catergory... 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 69, 17, etc, etc. They're all highways.
I honestly had no idea that those were considered highways. I suppose I never noted the classification of roads like that. I assumed they were simply back country roads. My first 10 years in Canada were in Halifax. The term highway was new to me. The only highways I ever travelled on were the same design as motorways in my native Britain. None of the Nova Scotia highways I experienced were roads. I just assumed that highway meant motorway.

Now I am confused. What is the difference between a road and a highway then? And, if 2,3,4,5, etc. are highways, what is a road like the Autoroute (multiple lanes, controlled access, minimum speed limits, on and off ramps, absolutely no obstacles, etc) in Quebec designated as? Expressway?

Vid: just saw your post. In the USA, a freeway means a motorway? If so, I've never heard either term used to describe Canadian infrastructure. I thought highway, was a Canadian word for motorway or freeway.

Last edited by isaidso; August 4th, 2007 at 01:31 PM.
Old August 4th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #669
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
It seems common to count collector ramps as actual lanes on the 401 freeway... which I don't really agree with but whatever.
The 401 does not count collector ramps as actual lanes. What you probably are assuming are collector ramps are not. The 401 is divided into regular lanes and express lanes. The express lanes in the middle offer exits less often to maintain as much order as possible. Vehicles that are travelling great distances don't have to be inconvenienced by other vehicles that are only going 20 km. It is also safer to design it this way when you have 18 lanes of traffic.

The toll bridge traffic shot you posted looks great, but alot of toll bridges look like that. I might add, that the 401 handles more than 50% more traffic volume than the 2nd busiest highway on the planet. You might not find photos of the 401 impressive, but travelling on it certainly is. When you have to look across 17 lanes of cars to see the other side it makes an impression.
Old August 4th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #670
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19203

Quote:
I honestly had no idea that those were considered highways. I suppose I never noted the classification of roads like that. I assumed they were simply back country roads. My first 10 years in Canada were in Halifax. The term highway was new to me. The only highways I ever travelled on were the same design as motorways in my native Britain. None of the Nova Scotia highways I experienced were roads. I just assumed that highway meant motorway.

Now I am confused. What is the difference between a road and a highway then? And, if 2,3,4,5, etc. are highways, what is a road like the Autoroute (multiple lanes, controlled access, minimum speed limits, on and off ramps, absolutely no obstacles, etc) in Quebec designated as? Expressway?

Vid: just saw your post. In the USA, a freeway means a motorway? If so, I've never heard either term used to describe Canadian infrastructure. I thought highway, was a Canadian word for motorway or freeway.
There is no difference between road and highway because highway is American word for road. Many US highways or state highways are just 2 lane roads.

Expressway in America means the same as freeway or limited access road
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #671
Tcmetro

Likes (Received): 17

There are different meanings of roads in the U.S.

Freeway: A controlled, limited access road, that is free of charge
Tollway: A controlled, limited access road, that charges for use
Parkway: A controlled, limited access road, that may charge for use, or may not, the vast majority of these have more trees, and plants than other roads, and trucks and buses are banned. In some areas however a parkway is road that basically is part of a long linear park. The second meaning is most notably used in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Expressway: This means the same as any of the above, but the meaning varies by state. In some states an Expressway is a 4 lane, or higher capacity road, with auxiliry lanes (usually) and at-grade intersections, spaced further apart than on a street, typically every half mile or longer distances.
Highway: May mean any of the above, but is mostly used for 2 lane, undivided roads. Sometimes in the same state it has various meanings (due to the road name). For example MN Highway 241 is a two lane road, yet MN Highway 100 is an urban freeway.
County Road: Varies by location, urban segments are typically wider, than rural counterparts, which are typically 2-lane, or dirt.
In the Midwest there is also a farm-to-market grid. Roads are located every mile in both directions, forming a rural grid. These roads are typically dirt with more used roads being 2-lane. In new sprawling suburbs, this old market grid forms the major road system in the area.
Tcmetro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 08:13 PM   #672
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

these definitions are subject to interpretation and are literally endless. here's my view.

road: extremely broad term. road is a path, ideally with some asphalt.

highway: important road through a country. no specifics on the physical aspects of the road itself.

expressway/tollway (US and Canada [maybe, im guessing about Canada) and Motorway (Europe): a direction-divided, grade-separated, multi-lane road with a shoulder for breakdowns on at least one side. controlled access and tolls collected.

of course this will probably affect no one's definitions of these terms, but i DO think they're much simpler than some of the previous definitions.
OettingerCroat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 12:05 AM   #673
vid

Likes (Received): 921

"Vid: just saw your post. In the USA, a freeway means a motorway? If so, I've never heard either term used to describe Canadian infrastructure. I thought highway, was a Canadian word for motorway or freeway."

What you call a motorway in Britain, an American would call it either a freeway or interstate.

"What is the difference between a road and a highway then?"

A road is flat surface on which one can drive. A highway is a flat surface on which one can drive that is maintained by a higher level of government and has a number designated to it.
Old August 5th, 2007, 12:11 AM   #674
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Well, the motorway is invented in Germany (some people say Italy) so it would be called Autobahn or Autostrada. But the English word is Motorway, so it would be clearer to use this word when you mention a controlled acces road with at least 2x2 lanes+emergency lane.

But then again, a lot of Autobahnen in Germany don't have shoulders.
And there are "Gelbe Autobahnen" (Yellow Motorways) which are Bundesstraßen (federal roads) but are designed with motorway standards.

All those names don't makes it easier on it, when one describes a road of motorway-grade.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 10:51 AM   #675
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Actually, the term freeway describes a roadway having at least two lanes in each direction with separated directions of travel and being free of at-grade intersections. In California, many state highways have some freeway stretches near conglomerate centres. They are marked with the signs reading "Freeway Begins" and "Emergency Parking Only", and sometimes "Slower Traffic Keep Right".

Some non-US forum members interchange the words "Freeway" and "Interstate", but they are not interchangeable. Every interstate must be a freeway, but not every freeway is an interstate. The word "Freeway" defines the physical design of the road while the word "Interstate" defines the administrative designation. Same for highways and freeways — every freeway is also a highway, but not every highway is a freeway. Confusing?
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 06:44 PM   #676
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
Actually, the term freeway describes a roadway having at least two lanes in each direction with separated directions of travel and being free of at-grade intersections. In California, many state highways have some freeway stretches near conglomerate centres. They are marked with the signs reading "Freeway Begins" and "Emergency Parking Only", and sometimes "Slower Traffic Keep Right".

Some non-US forum members interchange the words "Freeway" and "Interstate", but they are not interchangeable. Every interstate must be a freeway, but not every freeway is an interstate. The word "Freeway" defines the physical design of the road while the word "Interstate" defines the administrative designation. Same for highways and freeways — every freeway is also a highway, but not every highway is a freeway. Confusing?
The 'freeway' usage varies by region in the USA, too. Wisconsinites and Illinoisians would *NEVER, EVER* refer to a toll road as a 'freeway', it's a 'tollway'. Same design standards as a 'freeway' but one must pay a toll to use it.

Also, amazingly, there are a select few roads in the USA that are marked as 'interstates' but are not built to freeway standards (they have intersections). These include I-180 in Cheyenne, WY, a section of I-78 (by the Holland Tunnel) in Jersey City, NJ and the most notorious one of all, I-70 in Breezewood, PA.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 08:15 PM   #677
jess19

Likes (Received): 1

jess19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #678
Urban Legend

Likes (Received): 2539

ha ha let's see you cross the road

Jerusalem City of gold

Tel Aviv- City That Never Sleeps

My pics on Panoramio
Urban Legend no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 12:02 AM   #679
marrio415

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
This is more mindblowing than anything I've seen here...

hey isn't that off the movie deep impact
marrio415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 02:29 AM   #680
LordMandeep

Likes (Received): 12

the 401 is a very important highway.

At the end at the US border over a billion dollars worth of trade cross that bridge in Windsor every day.

Also I heard now that there are 600,000 cars crossing the busy section at the 400 and the 401 or the "basket weave".

The 401 is going to become a full 16 lane road from Islington to Meadow vale now i believe.

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto