daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 6th, 2007, 02:32 AM   #681
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10380

The 401 is a beast...I was driving down it on Friday night when I was travelling to Toronto.

The only highway comparable to that in Hartford is Interstate 84 east of the city, when it has 12 lanes including C/D and HOV lanes, but even that pales in comparison. And it's nowhere as crowded.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2007, 02:33 AM   #682
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

The really mind blowing picture was posted a while ago by someone in another related thread here. It showed the wide section of the 401, taken from above. That was really the best picture of the 401 I have ever seen.
Old August 6th, 2007, 02:50 AM   #683
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Well, there are legal definitions, and there is of course also common language, which varies from region to region. I have never heard the word "motorway" in North America, so it simply does not apply. However, here in Toronto, when people talk about "taking the highway", they almost always mean taking a freeway (most likely one of the 400 series highways). But at the same time, people here also say "take highway 26", even though highway 26 is a two-lane road.
Old August 6th, 2007, 03:59 AM   #684
Bartolo

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Lagend View Post
ha ha let's see you cross the road
There have been people that try to cross it, been on the news
Bartolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 04:06 AM   #685
Bartolo

Likes (Received): 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJAdVAIMB0I

Also how do i insert youtube
Bartolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 04:34 AM   #686
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10380

1. first write youtube as a quote: [].[/]
2. Add the funny word at the end (in your case: bJAdVAIMB0I)
3. Presto!

Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #687
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrio415 View Post
hey isn't that off the movie deep impact
I have it on DVD here, but i can´t remember this. Looks more like New Orleans escaping for a hurricane or something. Considering the number of lanes (2x6) i think it's near a large city in the southwest.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 05:51 PM   #688
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 750

I thought it was heading out of Houston
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 05:04 AM   #690
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10966

Does the 'high' in highway refer to high speed? And does this word 'highway' trace its origins to Canada, the USA, or both? Does anyone have research on this as opposed to speculation/opinion?
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 05:28 AM   #691
algonquin

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I honestly had no idea that those were considered highways. I suppose I never noted the classification of roads like that. I assumed they were simply back country roads. My first 10 years in Canada were in Halifax. The term highway was new to me. The only highways I ever travelled on were the same design as motorways in my native Britain. None of the Nova Scotia highways I experienced were roads. I just assumed that highway meant motorway.

Now I am confused. What is the difference between a road and a highway then? And, if 2,3,4,5, etc. are highways, what is a road like the Autoroute (multiple lanes, controlled access, minimum speed limits, on and off ramps, absolutely no obstacles, etc) in Quebec designated as? Expressway?

Vid: just saw your post. In the USA, a freeway means a motorway? If so, I've never heard either term used to describe Canadian infrastructure. I thought highway, was a Canadian word for motorway or freeway.
As you can see from this thread, all definitions are loose. In North American terms, particularly in Canada where population centres are scattered over large distances, a highway is more commonly a 2-lane (or 4-lane with no median) road. If you look at a Canadian road atlas, many 2-lane roads bear 'highway' in their name (Yellowhead Highway, Alaska Highway, Cassiar Highway, Dempster Highway, Trans-Labrador Highway, and of course, the TCH).

What I want to know is, what in God's name is a friggin Turnpike, who came up with such an odd name, and why do people use the term. Turnpike. It's so silly, like saying 'soda'. :P
algonquin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 05:35 AM   #692
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
As you can see from this thread, all definitions are loose. In North American terms, particularly in Canada where population centres are scattered over large distances, a highway is more commonly a 2-lane (or 4-lane with no median) road. If you look at a Canadian road atlas, many 2-lane roads bear 'highway' in their name (Yellowhead Highway, Alaska Highway, Cassiar Highway, Dempster Highway, Trans-Labrador Highway, and of course, the TCH).

What I want to know is, what in God's name is a friggin Turnpike, who came up with such an odd name, and why do people use the term. Turnpike. It's so silly, like saying 'soda'. :P
Look, we in the South think calling it Soda or Pop is crazy. Call it Coke or Soft Drink.

Anyways, Turnpike is a term that goes back to the days of the Revolutionary War(you know, that war where we decided not to play by the UK's rules and beat them with help from France while all the Loyalists ran north to "British North America" to keep up their Motherland loving). Individuals owned a road and charged horse and buggy to use it. In the 20th century we were still building Turnpikes as we know them today. Down south we even call roads Pikes, which is short for Turnpike. Most Pikes and some Turnpikes don't charge tolls anymore but come to the Northeast or Tennessee, Kentucky, South Carolina, Alabama, and the like and you'll see roads like Hillsboro Pike, Madison Pike, or Clarksville Pike.
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 11:56 AM   #693
Jean Luc
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
Also, amazingly, there are a select few roads in the USA that are marked as 'interstates' but are not built to freeway standards (they have intersections). These include I-180 in Cheyenne, WY, a section of I-78 (by the Holland Tunnel) in Jersey City, NJ and the most notorious one of all, I-70 in Breezewood, PA.
Do you have any photos?
Jean Luc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 04:05 PM   #694
ZeTaCy

The most impressive road in the Netherlands is the A16 near Rotterdam:

The intersection with the A15:

But to be honest, its nothing compared to the 401 in Canada! Hmm i'm going to opt for a wider A16

And to all the car haters out there, waiting with construction of more freeways will only give more traffic jams and more air pollution. We should build them now and let technology fix our cars (which we all know IS going to happen), instead of nimbying around
Old August 7th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #695
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-70 in Breezewood, Pennsylvania

Old August 7th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #696
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That pic are actually two adjacent motorways; A15 and A16. but impressive though.

By the way, you can't hotlink from autosnelwegen.nl
Old August 7th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #697
vid

Likes (Received): 921

Holy ****!

It looks like MN61 in Grand Marais, or the TCH through one of many cities and towns in Northern Ontario. We have less signs though.

BTW, BP pollutes the great lakes and isn't environmentally friendly, and anyone who cares about America shouldn't buy gas from them, no matter how cheap it is.
Old August 8th, 2007, 12:30 AM   #698
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10966

Auchamps: I still don't know what a turnpike is? You told us it's history, but not what it is. I understand the word 'turn', but what is a 'pike'?
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 12:37 AM   #699
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A Turnpike is a tollroad, according to wikipedia, but i really have no clue why they call it "Turnpike".
Old August 8th, 2007, 02:31 PM   #700
Jean Luc
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
I-70 in Breezewood, Pennsylvania

Well that proves that not all interstates are freeways!!

Thanks for posting it. Got any more?
Jean Luc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto