daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 24th, 2007, 08:23 AM   #721
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

A720, Montreal:

A bad shot of the really awesome Montreal underground tunnel system:

A20, the part that becomes a street:

A20, continued:

Maximum speed: 100km/h, Minimum speed: 60km/h Haven't seen something like this anywhere else in North America:

Welcome to Ontario sign, A20 turns into Highway 401 in Ontario :

I wish I had taken more pics, but back then I wasn't that much into this hobby
The Quebec Autoroute system is very extensive, although I found the maintenance quality
to be much better on Ontario's 401 than Quebec's A20, but I haven't been on any other
highways of the system so I cannot judge.

Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2007, 08:38 AM   #722
tyork

Likes (Received): 4

401 is an amazing highway.... too bad NY doesnt have a highway like that servicing it aside from the NJ Turnpike and the Garden State Parkway... which are huge roads in their own right... i think both are 12 lanes at some points... nothing like 401's 20 but we have more trains....
tyork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 05:30 PM   #723
lambersart2005
-le sudouest-

Likes (Received): 13

hm, I already asked once, but why is it that I can't post attachments here...? Would really like to share some pics.

un expert ici pour la création d'attachments? ;-)
lambersart2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #724
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

You have to resize your pics first to a reasonable width (say 1024px), and then upload it to a hosting provider, like www.imageshack.us, or www.************ or many others.
Once uploaded, you'll see a field with links, copy the forum links with [img]tags to your post.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #725
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 2

Maximum speed: 100km/h, Minimum speed: 60km/h Haven't seen something like this anywhere else in North America:

I don't mean to be rude or nitpicking, but wouldn't it be better if you adopted the French signage instead of the American one? The speed limit sign would be much more visible with a red circle around it and direction signs maybe somewhat clearer.

You're still doing great compared to the US, so don't worry
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #726
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyqtor View Post

I don't mean to be rude or nitpicking, but wouldn't it be better if you adopted the French signage instead of the American one? The speed limit sign would be much more visible with a red circle around it and direction signs maybe somewhat clearer.

You're still doing great compared to the US, so don't worry
I've seen many places where 'max/min' speed signs are posted on USA freeways/tollways. OTOH why such a Gawdawfully slow speed limit on that one?

Yes, Quebec's freeway/motorway network is fairly extensive, but it still has some annoying gaps (ie, a couple of gaps in the A-40, no connection to I-89 at the border with Vermont, A-50 between Montreal and the Ottawa-Hull area, etc).

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 07:59 PM   #727
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Very nice! Why is the speed limit there only 100?
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 09:20 PM   #728
ale26

Likes (Received): 17

AMAZING PICS!
ale26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 09:42 PM   #729
AUchamps

Are they ever gonna fix A-20 west of Montreal? Do like Texas and put in a Freeway/Frontage Road rebuild?
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 11:50 PM   #730
TheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyqtor View Post
What do you mean? Quebec is located in Canada, and is part of Canada, which uses North American traffic regulations. While like in the US, each Canadian province has its own differences and peculiarities, the signage is still more or less uniform, which makes sense. Besides, while I am no expert, and politics should not go into this thread, I heard that many people in Quebec have less than favourable views of France, not just of the English Canadians The only thing that makes Canada more European in this regard is that we use metric measurements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFM View Post
Very nice! Why is the speed limit there only 100?
What's so unusual about this? This is the standard (admittedly low) speed limit on most North American freeways. In the US, they mostly use 65mph which is around 104km/h.
Old August 25th, 2007, 12:00 AM   #731
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post

Those traffic lights look cool especially how the red lights look.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #732
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
What do you mean? Quebec is located in Canada, and is part of Canada, which uses North American traffic regulations.
They still could make the same speed limit sign as in Australia - a European red circle on a North American white rectangle.

Everyone would be happy Besides, Quebec people want to be different from the rest of Canada? This would be an awesome start.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 12:46 AM   #733
TheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
They still could make the same speed limit sign as in Australia - a European red circle on a North American white rectangle.
Everyone would be happy Besides, Quebec people want to be different from the rest of Canada? This would be an awesome start.
Well, but Australia is not in Canada, while Quebec is But yeah, I guess that is a good way to be different
Old August 25th, 2007, 12:49 AM   #734
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Edit: pointing to Alex Von Königsberg

I don't think many people in the U.S. know what that sign would mean. Those signs look like state highway signs to me more than speed limit signs.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 01:01 AM   #735
AUchamps

Quote:

Or how about the rest of the world switches to speed limit signs like these(you know, speed limit signs that DON'T look like Highway Number Signs):

Old August 25th, 2007, 01:01 AM   #736
AUchamps

And again, Are they ever gonna fix A-20 west of Montreal? Do like Texas and put in a Freeway/Frontage Road rebuild?
Old August 25th, 2007, 10:00 AM   #737
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

AUchamps, EU traffic signs are far superior to the American ones simply because they don't contain any words, and therefore, can be understood by everyone (except some American forum members).

FM, you drove in Italy, right? How much harder it would be if Italy used North American signage with Italic words that you are not familiar with? After that you would agree that it is much easier to learn what that red circle with a number mean.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 10:08 AM   #738
AUchamps

Quote:
AUchamps, EU traffic signs are far superior to the American ones simply because they don't contain any words, and therefore, can be understood by everyone (except some American forum members).

FM, you drove in Italy, right? How much harder it would be if Italy used North American signage with Italic words that you are not familiar with? After that you would agree that it is much easier to learn what that red circle with a number mean.
Alex, you have to understand that in the USA and Canada, we are very much centralized in our language so there's less need for symbols to dictate the rules of the road when the vast majority of us can read 1 language(English).

Likewise, you have Interstates, US Highways, Trans-Canadian Highways, Quebec Autoroutes, and then 60 State and Provincial Highways, each with their own symbol(and you know that, you're at Wazzou now).

It's far more streamlined by symbol in the EU because just about every country has a different language. The Red Circle around the Number as a Speed Limit sign is fine outside of the USA and Canada but again that's easy to do when the Road Numbering is simpler and you don't have such massive Numbered Highways at the State/Provincial Level as well as the County Level in some place.

http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~jlin/signs/states/

http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~jlin/signs/canada/

Last edited by AUchamps; August 25th, 2007 at 10:22 AM.
Old August 25th, 2007, 12:15 PM   #739
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
I don't think many people in the U.S. know what that sign would mean. Those signs look like state highway signs to me more than speed limit signs.
You know what's funny? The first time I saw them, the American & Canadian speed limit signs looked like road numbers to me!

I definitely agree with Alex. I read somewhere that people respond a lot better to pictures than plain text. Which is a logical thing, by the way: as humans, we evolved our language-reading skills far later than our image-processing skills. The latter are closer to what we call instinct - which means images would probably be better choice for traffic signs. At the very least I would expect that speed limit signs or other textual signs have a yellow background like all the other usual signs (at least there are some which have images).

I have a question: what does text like "Exit only", "Merge right 2 lanes", etc., which appears on signs in the US and the rest of Canada, look like in Québec? Is it bilingual, only in French or only in English?

This might be a little off-topic but I saw a very interesting stop sign from Canada on wikipedia a while ago:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:IqaluitStop.jpg
Besides English it contains the Inuit Syllabary used in Nunavut.

Last edited by wyqtor; August 25th, 2007 at 12:26 PM.
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 02:25 PM   #740
ames
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

wow awesome lucky texas
ames no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto