daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 25th, 2007, 04:35 PM   #741
SCWTC4
NYC fan

Likes (Received): 94

here for you new jersey turnpike near newark harbor.. 18 lanes in total

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=i...&t=k&z=18&om=1

- ... And now no longer ! -
SCWTC4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2007, 05:00 PM   #742
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

A-40 in western Montreal:

A-20 east of Montreal

Old August 25th, 2007, 05:49 PM   #743
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Besides the A-20 problems west of Montreal, is there a timeframe to fix this substandard section of A-20 east of Montreal? You know, either a bridge over the Railroad Tracks or a Railroad Bridge over A-20?
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 05:54 PM   #744
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

We used to have such a railroad crossing in the Dutch A2 too. Glad that one is removed, 160.000 AADT and a railroad crossing

I think a tunnel or bridge over the railroad is better than lifting the railroad, since trains need a hell of a ramp to go over a bridge.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #745
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 2

Hmm, it looks like the signs are explained only in French.

Lately I have been searching for an online map, detailed and nicely colored like www.viamichelin.com, only for Canada & US. Does anyone know such a site?
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 07:23 PM   #746
sonysnob

Some new photos:

QEW:

Highway 417:

Old August 25th, 2007, 09:16 PM   #747
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Also, anyone notice how similar Quebec's 'autoroute' route number signs are to USA 'interstate' route number signs?

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 12:59 AM   #748
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyqtor View Post
Lately I have been searching for an online map, detailed and nicely colored like www.viamichelin.com, only for Canada & US. Does anyone know such a site?
Viamichelin has the USA covered too. (i'm not sure about Canada).

Maybe something on Rand McNally or so?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 05:12 AM   #749
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Viamichelin does cover Canada, but services like Google Maps and Live Maps have better (closer) zoom levels.
Old August 26th, 2007, 09:03 PM   #750
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFM View Post
Why is the speed limit there only 100?
Because the world knows that N Americans are virtually incable of performing any form of
self-control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
Praiseworthy? Or cussworthy? Little Céline just lost her two-year-old eyeball both suddenly and
supposedly mysteriously from her size-me-up drinking straw

Quote:
direction signs maybe somewhat clearer.

You're still doing great compared to the US, so don't worry
I reckon Quebec's road signage's the next best after American ones, I do, after criss-crossing
the continent several times behind the wheel . . . plus the state of emotional being you suggest
its readers take wouldn't stick, as you might become surprised just how much its own carefree
way of being would grow on you providing you be relaxed enough to let it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
it still has some annoying gaps (ie, a couple of gaps in the A-40, no connection to I-89 at
the border with Vermont, A-50 between Montreal and the Ottawa-Hull area, etc).
You mean the A20, not the A40, no? Two's worth between Quebec City and Montreal ain't bad.
A40 and 417 basically already serve l'Outaouais with Montreal, hence your suggestion re. the
A50's plain useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUchamps View Post
Are they ever gonna fix A-20 west of Montreal? Do like Texas and put in a
Freeway/Frontage Road rebuild?
I hope they don't reconstruct your suggestion. Besides, there's a scheme paralleling the lengthy
suburban segment anywhere between eight or one kilometre away.

They're focussing on its Ville-Marie feeder, A720, whereat this subject might cause your jaw
to drop (I'm saying no more here about the Ville-Marie expressway) . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
Those traffic lights look cool especially how the red lights look.
They're just renditioning Frenchie France's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
Besides, Quebec people want to be different from the rest of Canada?
This would be an awesome start.
I'm glad somebody else is finally recognizing this no-brainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
EU traffic signs are far superior to theAmerican ones
simply because they don't contain any words, and therefore, can
be understood by everyone
FACT: The only time N America experienced indisputably universal signage was the scheme
temporarily erected in the late 60s and early 70s in Expo 67, then Terre des hommes/Man and
His World -- the six-station overground metro of the extensive, outdoor themeland was
ditched the same time too.

Quote:
I have a question: what does text like "Exit only", "Merge right 2 lanes", etc.,
which appears on signs in the US and the rest of Canada, look like in Québec?
Province is still going to be too cheap to embelish its exits into two-laners (not even a handful
exist here in Quebec). As for exit only, they've taken very much to making something
one-way whenever possible (there's some relief, eh?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUchamps View Post

Besides the A-20 problems west of Montreal, is there a timeframe to fix this substandard
section of A-20 east of Montreal? You know, either a bridge over the Railroad Tracks or
a Railroad Bridge over A-20?
I forgot about this one (I thought it was the A10)

Last edited by trainrover; August 26th, 2007 at 09:41 PM.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 09:06 PM   #751
trainrover

double post

Last edited by trainrover; August 26th, 2007 at 09:33 PM.
Old August 27th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #752
wyqtor
Coexist

Wow, here's a guy who is angry that I have the audacity to consider France's signing superior to US & Canadian and he can't really take it, so he resorts to childish nonsense. I'm flattered how high you think of my humble opinions.

As for road signs, I already stated my reasoning. The main thing I do like about your roads is the yellow line in the middle as you can tell traffic directions more clearly. That's one thing superior to French Autoroutes.

I think you should really travel to other places than your continent, you will discover that at least your own lifestyle is not at all "carefree" as you claim, as your manner of writing betrays your underlying frustrations. I suggest Italy, Tyrol, Switzerland, Greece or Croatia for starters. Or maybe Hawaii a bit closer to your home.

I for one will visit the USA & Canada as soon as I will afford to, I am sure I find great things there too.
Old August 28th, 2007, 07:45 PM   #753
trainrover

Angry? I'd been laughing my head off! And, no, I wasn't disputing your claim of French road signage being superior to N American ones -- I zero'ed in on your remark concerning clearer signage. Something about you's attracted to an emotional state of being, huh? "Angry", "frustration"

There's still time for you yet, you'll grow up: You, you take the imperative tense with me, while the lone one I took up with you was the subjunctive one -- that's rude of you, unnecessarily presumptuous too, e.g., "lifestyle", "think you should really"

Audacious Lifestyle

You, are you so audacious as to habitually (me, perpetually!) get half of the throng of your inbound metro wagon weekend nights laughing away at the blunt expressions you come out verbalizing for all your fellow passengers to here? No, I figured not.

You needn't touch upon any area regarding 'lifestyle' with me, little buddy.

Last edited by trainrover; August 28th, 2007 at 07:58 PM. Reason: after thought re. respondent's allusion to audacity and lifestyle
Old August 29th, 2007, 02:46 AM   #754
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19144

Instead of pointless discussion (especialy two posts above) can we get some more pictures and infos about Quebec freeways??
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #755
trainrover

Hmmm, this response while s/he wishes to learn as much as possible about my jurisdiction's crumbling "freeway" (write "autoroute") "network": Where's your pointlessness in that, eh?

Seriously, Quebec's now got a long way to go to catch up. But something I heard on national radio getting ready for work yesterday morning does sound promising.

By the way, there are 137 autoroute under- and overpasses that need to be razed and rebuilt (yep). This news came out no more than a few weeks ago.

The promising report seemed to indicate Quebec's rethinking what'll consitute under/overpass replacements. Already, there's some South-shore overpass that's being rebuilt incorporating the following components:
  • re-bars fabricated out of some composite material that's supposedly five times stronger
  • fibre-optics lasory things cured right into the concrete to enable internal monitoring for preventive maintenance

There. Happy? coz I ain't 'til me electric trains appear on my scenes here . . .

Last edited by trainrover; August 29th, 2007 at 07:08 PM.
Old August 29th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #756
wyqtor
Coexist

OK, let's stop arguing, I agree it's not productive, it's just that I don't like it when my opinions are getting laughed at - especially when I am not joking. Still TBH I may have exaggerated a little, so I apologize for picking at your lifestyle Trainrover, actually now that I think about it must be pretty cool living in Québec.

Anyway, are there any highways in or around Québec-City?
Old August 29th, 2007, 10:38 PM   #757
sonysnob

Route 175 in Quebec City. Not an autoroute, but it is at times a freeway:

Old August 29th, 2007, 10:40 PM   #758
trainrover

Quote:
OK, let's stop arguing, I agree it's not productive, it's just that I don't like it when my opinions are getting laughed at - especially when I am not joking. Still TBH I may have exaggerated a little, so I apologize for picking at your lifestyle Trainrover, actually now that I think about it must be pretty cool living in Québec.

Anyway, are there any highways in or around Québec-City?
My arguments amount to just teasing, really they do.

Quebec City opened up a new crosstown (or cross-suburban?) expressway earlier this summer. Yes, compared to Canadian cities, Quebec City's probably the most equipped with expressways (comparatively-speaking for its size, that is) -- uhm, I've not bothered looking it up on some online map yet.
Old August 29th, 2007, 10:44 PM   #759
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Route 175 in Quebec City. Not an autoroute, but it is at times a freeway:

Then what on earth is that 'unclear' titular signage, happening to indicate to the photographer her/his snapping a shot of the Laurentian Autoroute (right-hand side, green signage as opposed to the blue autoroute type)?
Old August 30th, 2007, 05:15 AM   #760
sonysnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Then what on earth is that 'unclear' titular signage, happening to indicate to the photographer her/his snapping a shot of the Laurentian Autoroute (right-hand side, green signage as opposed to the blue autoroute type)?
I shot the photo, and indicated not as an autoroute because it is designated as a 100-series route, and not as an autoroute proper. I would liken this to a US route being named as a freeway or expressway but not designated properly as an interstate.

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto