daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 26th, 2007, 10:28 PM   #841
Grey Towers

Likes (Received): 45

Traffic volume and large freeways are no cause for boasting, but people tend to be proud of having the largest, longest, tallest, etc., of something, anything, even when it's something ugly and regressive.
Grey Towers no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2007, 02:40 AM   #842
LordMandeep

Likes (Received): 12

the state of the 401 today was caused by the fact we did not want to build more highways in Toronto...

Nonetheless i rather have a 16 lane highway then another highway crossing Eglinton .
Old October 27th, 2007, 06:16 AM   #843
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Most recent 400-series freeway to open:

Old October 27th, 2007, 11:36 AM   #844
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Where is that? The Red Hill Creek Expressway doesn't open for a few days and it's not a 400-series highway.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 02:12 AM   #845
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10380

Damn, Ontario is still making freeways?

Down here, making even a 10km highway is impossible thanks to NIMBYs.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 02:44 AM   #846
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Not as much as you'd think But Ontario still needs freeways in its southern regions, and some of its northern regions too, and there is a plan of extension of the 400-series, even though it'll probably get implemented in the course of many years (or decades?). Toronto, on the other hand, probably won't get any new freeways.
Old October 28th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #847
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
Where is that? The Red Hill Creek Expressway doesn't open for a few days and it's not a 400-series highway.
I was positive it was the 410 north extension.

but on second look. It is the 406 widening.

It's about time. Finally completed. I took some pictures back in July, but never returned.

Can't wait to drive on it..some day, some time.
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 11:14 PM   #848
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10380

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
Not as much as you'd think But Ontario still needs freeways in its southern regions, and some of its northern regions too, and there is a plan of extension of the 400-series, even though it'll probably get implemented in the course of many years (or decades?). Toronto, on the other hand, probably won't get any new freeways.
Cool, thanks for explanation.

It makes sense, outside of the Toronto area, the highway system is actually kind of sparse. At least you guys have a plan....down in Connecticut, there are no real serious plans.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 01:09 AM   #849
TheCat

This is the freeway extension plan for Southern Ontario, according to Wikipedia. The blue lines represent freeways already built, and the red ones represent freeways to be built in the future:

Old October 29th, 2007, 01:12 AM   #850
sonysnob

Quote:
This is the freeway extension plan for Southern Ontario, according to Wikipedia. The blue lines represent freeways already built, and the red ones represent freeways to be built in the future:

Like a lot of things about roads in Ontario on Wikipedia, this map is very overzealous. Probably about half the proposed lines on the map are little more than pipedreams at this point. The photo above is of the 406 just south of Beaverdams Road.
Old October 29th, 2007, 01:16 AM   #851
TheCat

No doubt, but no harm in a little optimism
Even if half of this is built, it's good.
Old October 29th, 2007, 02:03 AM   #852
sonysnob

Red Hill Valley Parkway

Went out for a walk on the new expressway tonight. I took a bunch of
photos which will be uploaded to a new page onto OntHighways, but I
thought I'd share a few of the highlights

First, the highway will indeed be signed as the Red Hill Valley Parkway:
Shield:

Overhead sign at the Greenhill Road diamond interchange:

Looking north from just north of the Mud Street interchange:

Looks more like a freeway from alberta than one from ontario if you
ask me...

Scott
Old October 29th, 2007, 02:24 AM   #853
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Wow, shiny crashbarriers! It really looks good. It's nice to watch a new freeway in Canada.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 02:34 AM   #854
Steeltown

Likes (Received): 143

Thanks for the photos of the Red Hill Expressway! From the looks of it you'll be able to get a great shot of TO's skyline from the top of the expressway.

The expressway opens next week on Nov 6th I believe. There's going to be a gaint marathon for Nov 2, 3, 4, and 5th of Nov along the Red Hill.

OFFICIAL OPENING CEREMONIES

Saturday November 3, 2007, 2:00PM
Steeltown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 05:27 AM   #855
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4266

The 406 extension looks nice. I'll have to try it out sometime.

From the looks of that map, they are planning on making an expressway through the southern Niagara region, correct? What is the probability of that hapening? How much time would you estimate it will cut down on a drive from Fort Erie to Hamilton or Brantford if built?
xzmattzx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 05:41 AM   #856
Steeltown

Likes (Received): 143

That would be the Mid Peninsula highway. During Mike Harris days the highway got a stamp of approval and even got money to build but Dalton McGunity got elected and he halted the highway idea with re-initiating yet another full environmental assessment, which is still currently taking place, been 4 years now. The Mid Peninsula highway idea has even reserved the name……Highway 408.

I think in 2008 we're suppose to get the complete environmental assessment and it'll be up to Dalton on what to do.
Steeltown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 07:22 AM   #857
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

Can't wait to drive on the Red Hill. Shocking a nice highway. Hamilton surprises me that way, by actually doing a great job on expressways in design and upkeep, but the rest of the city's roads are a disgrace in many spots.

As for that map. those Highways surrounding London, if they ever get built? I will be very surprised..though it is desperately needed.
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 07:40 AM   #858
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10966

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsdl76 View Post
I also agreed, in a subsequent post, that the 401 does indeed have higher numbers than any 'single' LA freeway but traffic in the LA region is FAR heavier.....thats it!....can you handle that one??
Lastly, its you that should do some research. There ARE only 2 cities in Canada with more than a million people....Toronto and Montreal. However, there are 6 "Metropolitan Areas" in Canada that exceed 1 million...but not cities. Theres quite a difference between a Metropolitan area and a city....you should study up on it.

Ciao!!
We all know about the LA freeway network. Save it for some other thread. Regarding population figures, you may have done some research regarding population of cities, but you don't seem to have understood the relevance of population figures as it relates to highways. City population is irrelevant. Freeways are built in response to metro areas, not city boundaries. A city population is absolutely pointless to bring up. A city population is merely a political jurisdiction and fails completely to take into account the actual number of people in an area. In many cities you can walk across the street and you are in another 'city'. I lived in downtown Montreal. The house 40 feet across from mine was in a different city. Are you trying to say the highway system is only used by people on one side of this city line? Ridiculous.

I've studied plenty. You've studied something, but failed to understand what you were reading. Being in possession of facts is useless if you don't understand what they mean.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 08:49 AM   #859
TheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Went out for a walk on the new expressway tonight. I took a bunch of
photos which will be uploaded to a new page onto OntHighways, but I
thought I'd share a few of the highlights

Looks more like a freeway from alberta than one from ontario if you
ask me...

Scott
Thanks for the pics, awesome highway! I see rumble strips in the second photo, a great safety feature. Is the speed limit 80km/h along the whole route? In that picture it makes sense, as the curves along the road seem to be quite sharp.
Old October 29th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #860
softee

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:

There are only about 40kms of two-lane highway left on highway 11 between North Bay and Barrie, a new section is under construction as we speak and the highway twinning project should be complete within 5-6 years or so.

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto