daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 29th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #861
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
Thanks for the pics, awesome highway! I see rumble strips in the second photo, a great safety feature. Is the speed limit 80km/h along the whole route? In that picture it makes sense, as the curves along the road seem to be quite sharp.
The speed limit is 90 at least as far north as Greenhill. There are some tight curves and the Queenston and King interchanges are pretty tight so an 80km/h limit wouldn't surprise me, through there. I think that big 80km/h sign is just for construction traffic.

Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #862
sonysnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Can't wait to drive on the Red Hill. Shocking a nice highway. Hamilton surprises me that way, by actually doing a great job on expressways in design and upkeep, but the rest of the city's roads are a disgrace in many spots.
You're telling me.... I think the Mohawk / Garth intersection has singlehandedly destroyed the suspension on my old car...
Old October 29th, 2007, 04:36 PM   #863
kingsdl76

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
We all know about the LA freeway network. Save it for some other thread. Regarding population figures, you may have done some research regarding population of cities, but you don't seem to have understood the relevance of population figures as it relates to highways. City population is irrelevant. Freeways are built in response to metro areas, not city boundaries. A city population is absolutely pointless to bring up. A city population is merely a political jurisdiction and fails completely to take into account the actual number of people in an area. In many cities you can walk across the street and you are in another 'city'. I lived in downtown Montreal. The house 40 feet across from mine was in a different city. Are you trying to say the highway system is only used by people on one side of this city line? Ridiculous.

I've studied plenty. You've studied something, but failed to understand what you were reading. Being in possession of facts is useless if you don't understand what they mean.

What you're doing now is a classic knee jerk reaction because you're wrong. It was you that was confused in the first place, but instead of admitting that, you're attempting to change the nature of the topic as well as insult my intelligence by questioning my reading comprehension. If you look at my first post, I wrote that there are 2 CITIES in Canada that have a population of over a million people. Had I stated that there are only 2 METROPOLITAN AREAS, then you would be absolutely right. I understand the difference between a city and its metropolitan area....but I thank you for leaving the definition in your post. I'll admit that you're right concerning the definition of what a city/metropolitan area is....very good. Now if you want to expand the topic to urban infrastructure or highway construction as it relates to population then thats fine....but dont try to change the subject because you initially misunderstood my post. I stated a simple fact: There are only 2 CITIES in Canada with a population of more than 1 million people......thats it....but stating that in no way indicates that I dont understand the wider subject of population/metropolitan areas and highway construction as it relates to that.

Dont get so defensive over this issue....its not really a subject deserving of that. When one does, as you have, it makes one seem a little unnecessarily insecure.

Last edited by kingsdl76; October 29th, 2007 at 05:47 PM.
kingsdl76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 11:26 PM   #864
Steeltown

Likes (Received): 143

It's interesting that there are 4 lanes south bound and only 2 lanes north bound for the Red Hill Expressway. Guess the city decided to put up 2 climbing lanes for the trucks.

Garth/Mohawk got fresh new asphalt this month.

Remember the Red Hill and the Linc took the city nearly 50 years to plan and design out so the city damn well better have built top notch expressways haha.

I just noticed it's 3 lanes for the north bound and 4 lanes for the south bound, extra lane for trucks to climb up.

Last edited by Steeltown; October 29th, 2007 at 11:32 PM.
Steeltown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 02:57 AM   #865
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10966

Regarding that photo of a new highway "just north of the Mud Street interchange": is that a Hamilton area highway? It looks great, but the curve seems to be fairly severe. This won't be a 100km/h zone, I take it.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 07:04 AM   #866
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeltown View Post
That would be the Mid Peninsula highway. During Mike Harris days the highway got a stamp of approval and even got money to build but Dalton McGunity got elected and he halted the highway idea with re-initiating yet another full environmental assessment, which is still currently taking place, been 4 years now. The Mid Peninsula highway idea has even reserved the name……Highway 408.

I think in 2008 we're suppose to get the complete environmental assessment and it'll be up to Dalton on what to do.
I don't know how entirely feasible this is, but I've always thought that the Mid-Peninsula should just continue where the Linc ends. Keeping with the name "Mid-Peninsula" it should end up at some extension of the 420/58 hook-up. The Greenbelt Act kinda makes crossings difficult.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 09:13 AM   #867
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Regarding that photo of a new highway "just north of the Mud Street interchange": is that a Hamilton area highway? It looks great, but the curve seems to be fairly severe. This won't be a 100km/h zone, I take it.
Yeah, I noticed that too. There is an 80km/h sign there, which I think will be there to stay. And as a fellow forumer commented, the limit will probably be 90km/h, not 100.
Old October 31st, 2007, 04:43 PM   #868
rick1016

Likes (Received): 15

Great photos Scott, thanks!!
rick1016 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 04:49 PM   #869
Steeltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
I don't know how entirely feasible this is, but I've always thought that the Mid-Peninsula should just continue where the Linc ends. Keeping with the name "Mid-Peninsula" it should end up at some extension of the 420/58 hook-up. The Greenbelt Act kinda makes crossings difficult.
The whole plan really is to connect the Niagara region to Hamilton's Airport and connect Hamilton Airport to Halton. If the Mid Penisula highway connects along with the Linc it won't be near Hamilton Airport.
Old October 31st, 2007, 04:52 PM   #870
Steeltown

Quote:
Yeah, I noticed that too. There is an 80km/h sign there, which I think will be there to stay. And as a fellow forumer commented, the limit will probably be 90km/h, not 100.
The speed limit for the Linc is 90km/h so the Red Hill Expressway will likely be 90km/h as well. But really everyone drives 100km/h on the Linc, I've yet seen a police car patrolling the speed limit on the Linc.
Old October 31st, 2007, 07:31 PM   #871
sonysnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeltown View Post
The whole plan really is to connect the Niagara region to Hamilton's Airport and connect Hamilton Airport to Halton. If the Mid Penisula highway connects along with the Linc it won't be near Hamilton Airport.
It would be nice to see a new highway from the top of the Red Hill connecting to Highway 6 right where the Highway 6, Hamilton By-pass ties in. This would divert pretty much all truck traffic off of Upper James Street. Furthermore, though this is a pipe dream as well, I'd love to see Upper James Street receive a 6B designation
Old November 1st, 2007, 12:48 AM   #872
Steeltown

Here's a brid eye view of the Red Hill......

Old November 1st, 2007, 11:30 PM   #873
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

My house backs onto the linc... one of my housemates got a radar gun, so we spent an evening sitting on top of the retaining wall measuring speed.

Actually average speed is 105-110 on there.

Fastest we caught was 126. :P

It was night, and travel levels were somewhat low.
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 11:39 PM   #874
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I don't think you even get an average of 110 on a German Autobahn...
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 11:46 PM   #875
go_leafs_go02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
I don't think you even get an average of 110 on a German Autobahn...
speed limit is 90 km/h, so 110 is 20 above.

17-20 km/h above the speedlimit is where the cops will start pulling you over.
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 11:25 AM   #876
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Oh ok, i thought you meant 110 MPH
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 01:38 PM   #877
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Oh ok, i thought you meant 110 MPH
No man, Canadians use kilometres
Old November 2nd, 2007, 05:37 PM   #878
kingsdl76

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
No man, Canadians use kilometres
Yes Canada does....just like the rest of the world...and just like the US should!!!!!
kingsdl76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 07:32 PM   #879
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Amen
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 12:43 AM   #880
noob(but not really)
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsdl76 View Post
Yes Canada does....just like the rest of the world...and just like the US should!!!!!
I don't think they should.
noob(but not really) no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto