daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 3rd, 2007, 12:52 AM   #881
rick1016

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsdl76 View Post
Yes Canada does....just like the rest of the world...and just like the US should!!!!!
Do you have any idea what it would be like getting 300 million people to suddenly switch units?
rick1016 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2007, 12:55 AM   #882
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Yeah, it's not like it's Germany having miles in within the European sea of kilometers. I don't see too much problems the US having another system. There are more systems, i heard the Koreans also have another unit system.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 07:23 AM   #883
taiwanesedrummer36

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Yes Canada does....just like the rest of the world...and just like the US should!!!!!
Crazy Canadians.............
taiwanesedrummer36 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 11:49 AM   #884
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

US Customary system sucks! Canadians switched and now live like the rest of the civilised world. The fact is that in the time of globalisation, the rest of the world will never adopt an archaic system, so it is the USA that will need to switch to metric if it wants to succeed in global trade.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 01:23 PM   #885
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I think asking that is the same as asking the Americans to adopt the Euro
Old November 3rd, 2007, 08:06 PM   #886
Steeltown

Likes (Received): 143

Steeltown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 08:14 PM   #887
ycats

Likes (Received): 0

Dont we call them highways in Canada? Freeways is what they call them in the States.
ycats no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 09:23 PM   #888
noob(but not really)
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

As a Canadian(born and raised), the only thing I use the metric system for is kilometres and and anything with the suffix litres.

Anyone have a map of Red Hill?
noob(but not really) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 09:39 PM   #889
Steeltown

I'll try and find a map of the Red Hill Expressway.

The expressway, erm parkway (nobody here calls it parkway) will open on Monday but the MTO is behind schedule and therefore drivers won't be able to enter onto the Red Hill from Toronto bound traffic, which was the only thing that MTO was responsible for and they couldn’t even do it on schedule, it was only planned out for 50 YEARS jeez. Seems like MTO is always behind. It'll be like that for about a year.
Old November 3rd, 2007, 10:08 PM   #890
Steeltown

Here’s a map! Its back when Hamilton just amalgamated that’s why you see the old logo “The New City of Hamilton”. Plus on this map you can see why it's named Red Hill Valley Parkway, it's built next to the Red Hill Creek.

Old November 4th, 2007, 02:24 AM   #891
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeltown View Post
I'll try and find a map of the Red Hill Expressway.

The expressway, erm parkway (nobody here calls it parkway) will open on Monday but the MTO is behind schedule and therefore drivers won't be able to enter onto the Red Hill from Toronto bound traffic, which was the only thing that MTO was responsible for and they couldn’t even do it on schedule, it was only planned out for 50 YEARS jeez. Seems like MTO is always behind. It'll be like that for about a year.
are they behind schedule or was that just how the burlington street interchange construction was staged?
Old November 4th, 2007, 04:23 AM   #892
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10400

Quote:
The US is gradually moving to Metric.

I rarely actually customary that much, only when I have to.

Almost every unit is measured in metric alongside the customary units these days. We do use it more than people think. Hell, if you talk about feet or yards or pounds in the science field, everyone will laugh at you!
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 07:39 AM   #893
Steeltown

MTO is a year behind schedule because they haven't finished the new Burlington Street and Woodward Avenue bridges. They still need to remove the old Burlington Street bridge. At the same time they'll be building a new pedestrian bridge to link the Red Hill trail to the waterfront trail.

Rendering of the bridge

Old November 4th, 2007, 07:52 AM   #894
KGB

Likes (Received): 48

The 427 can take on 401 type proportions as well...it's not very long, but it always struck me as feeling as "big" as the 401.

KGB
KGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 08:35 AM   #895
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Well, you are correct, even though it's not exactly as wide, I think it is the only other 400-series highway with a collector-express system.
Old November 4th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #896
Steeltown

Red Hill Valley Parkway debuts
November 04, 2007

Thousands of runners marked the official opening of the Red Hill Valley Parkway this weekend.

After the Road to Hope race Saturday morning, about 150 people gathered at the Red Hill Bowl to mark the road’s competition after 50 years of debate.

“There were moments when we wondered if we would ever have this day,” said Chris Murray, who managed the parkway’s construction.

“It’s hard to believe it’s over.”

The controversial four-lane parkway, which cost $225 million to build, will open to vehicle traffic on Nov. 16.

Only three protesters were visible at yesterday’s event, which was well attended by local dignitaries and politicians. Among those in attendance were former mayors Jack MacDonald, Larry Di Ianni and Bob Morrow, local MPPs and MPs, former Lieutenant-Governor Lincoln Alexander, current and former city councillors and dozens of city staff.

The second half of the Road to Hope marathon takes place today.
Old November 4th, 2007, 08:39 PM   #897
noob(but not really)
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Metric system is wack. You talk to me about kilograms and metres, and I will laugh at you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeltown View Post
Here’s a map! Its back when Hamilton just amalgamated that’s why you see the old logo “The New City of Hamilton”. Plus on this map you can see why it's named Red Hill Valley Parkway, it's built next to the Red Hill Creek.

Thanks for that map. Honestly, it looks worse than Black Creek Dr. They built it on parkland?
noob(but not really) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 08:45 PM   #898
LordMandeep

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Black Creek Dr.
that is one pointless road...

express route from the 401 to heart of Weston...
Old November 4th, 2007, 09:09 PM   #899
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob(but not really) View Post
Metric system is wack. You talk to me about kilograms and metres, and I will laugh at you!
Not so much.

One kilometer = 1000 meters

One mile = 5,280 feet or 63,360 inches

now what makes sense?
Old November 4th, 2007, 11:08 PM   #900
Steeltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob(but not really) View Post
Thanks for that map. Honestly, it looks worse than Black Creek Dr. They built it on parkland?
Remember this expressway has been planned for nearly 50 years so yea guess it's on parkland as the city allowed no development on the land since the original plan.

The goal of the Red Hill Expressway is to take trucks off local roads, have more industrial parks near Mud St (Glanbrook Industrial Park), redevelop the inner city (Centre Mall redevelopment - retail development mostly), develop a new Red Hill trail, relocating existing landfill sites, to clean up the Harbour from realigning the creek and most importantly to improve the Red Hill Creek, the project is North America’s longest, continuous creek restoration project in an urban setting. A lot of drivers will be taking the Red Hill expressway as a short cut instead of going on the Skyway Bridge towards London/Windsor they can take Red Hill/Linc and on the 403, save time.

The entire cost of the expressway is about half a billion dollars, the most expensive expressway yet. About half of the cost went into improving the environment of the Red Hill Creek Valley.

You can read all about the history, details and environmental improvements made to the Red Hill Valley here:
http://www.hamiltonmarathon.ca/red%2...ect%5B1%5D.pdf

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto