daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 4th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #901
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Not so much.

One kilometer = 1000 meters

One mile = 5,280 feet or 63,360 inches

now what makes sense?
Forget it, some people just don't get it, logical arguments don't seem to work What I do find strange in his comment, is that according to his profile, he lives in Canada, a country that has been using the metric system for a long time.

Sponsored Links
Old November 5th, 2007, 12:03 AM   #902
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

a new Highway 401 photo:

Old November 5th, 2007, 01:27 AM   #903
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

Holy Shit. This is the interchange with the 400, right...
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 01:27 AM   #904
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob(but not really) View Post
Metric system is wack. You talk to me about kilograms and metres, and I will laugh at you!
I feel sorry for you, man. All the exit signs in Canada (at least in BC) tell the distance in metres, so you would have a hard time driving there. Hold on, you are from Canada!

Also, as far as I have seen, deli products are sold in grammes ($/100g). Do their scales have lbs or oz as well to accommodate your needs?
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 02:19 AM   #905
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
I feel sorry for you, man. All the exit signs in Canada (at least in BC) tell the distance in metres, so you would have a hard time driving there. Hold on, you are from Canada!

Also, as far as I have seen, deli products are sold in grammes ($/100g). Do their scales have lbs or oz as well to accommodate your needs?
Metric is used everywhere in Canada, not just in BC. But in stores fruits and vegetables are still sold primarily in pounds. Most supermarkets post both the price per pound and per kilogram, but the pound is still written in bigger font and is used more. Meat is sold in grams, at least when I buy it. People also still quote their weight and height in pounds and feet/inches, although for me it is easier and more natural to use kilograms and centimetres, because I was not born in Canada and am more comfortable with metric. But Canadians born here seem to still be more accustomed to the Imperial system in everyday life.

Official documentation, however, uses the metric system. For example, on my driver's license, my height is written in centimetres.

Last edited by TheCat; November 5th, 2007 at 02:24 AM.
TheCat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 05:23 AM   #906
noob(but not really)
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMandeep View Post
that is one pointless road...

express route from the 401 to heart of Weston...
LOL! In its current state, it is 100% pointless. It was supposed to connect to the Gardiner. We are stuck with it now, so we might as well extend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeltown View Post
Remember this expressway has been planned for nearly 50 years so yea guess it's on parkland as the city allowed no development on the land since the original plan.

The goal of the Red Hill Expressway is to take trucks off local roads, have more industrial parks near Mud St (Glanbrook Industrial Park), redevelop the inner city (Centre Mall redevelopment - retail development mostly), develop a new Red Hill trail, relocating existing landfill sites, to clean up the Harbour from realigning the creek and most importantly to improve the Red Hill Creek, the project is North America’s longest, continuous creek restoration project in an urban setting. A lot of drivers will be taking the Red Hill expressway as a short cut instead of going on the Skyway Bridge towards London/Windsor they can take Red Hill/Linc and on the 403, save time.

The entire cost of the expressway is about half a billion dollars, the most expensive expressway yet. About half of the cost went into improving the environment of the Red Hill Creek Valley.

You can read all about the history, details and environmental improvements made to the Red Hill Valley here:
http://www.hamiltonmarathon.ca/red%2...ect%5B1%5D.pdf
That was a good PDF. Although, they could've just done the creek restoration on its own, assuming they planned the expwy network better back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Not so much.

One kilometer = 1000 meters

One mile = 5,280 feet or 63,360 inches

now what makes sense?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
Forget it, some people just don't get it, logical arguments don't seem to work What I do find strange in his comment, is that according to his profile, he lives in Canada, a country that has been using the metric system for a long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post

I actually use both systems, and so do most Canadians. For example, why use miles when you have kilometres? It also wouldn't make much sense to use yards when you have metres. However, when you need to use a smaller unit, you wouldn't use decimetres you'd use feet. This is the key area that the metric system is totally flawed in. And it is no wonder that feet and inches are used on floorplans in Canada. No way I'm using metres when the room is 10' x 10'. 3.3 or whatever it is just doesn't sound right.

Also, professional sports leagues in North America use the imperial system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
People also still quote their weight and height in pounds and feet/inches, although for me it is easier and more natural to use kilograms and centimetres, because I was not born in Canada and am more comfortable with metric. But Canadians born here seem to still be more accustomed to the Imperial system in everyday life.
I can't imagine using the metric system for my weight/height. That's just too weird.
noob(but not really) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 06:36 AM   #907
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenRot View Post
Holy Shit. This is the interchange with the 400, right...
Thats right.

The current form of the 400/401 interchange was completed in 1965-66. While this interchange may not be as impressive as some of Toronto's newer offerings, for its day it was really something.
Old November 5th, 2007, 08:05 AM   #908
Alex Von Königsberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob(but not really) View Post
However, when you need to use a smaller unit, you wouldn't use decimetres you'd use feet. This is the key area that the metric system is totally flawed in. And it is no wonder that feet and inches are used on floorplans in Canada. No way I'm using metres when the room is 10' x 10'. 3.3 or whatever it is just doesn't sound right.
Doesn't sound right to you. For those poor bastards who only know "flawed" metric system 3.30m sounds ok

You know, the argument that the Imperial system feels more 'human' is not uncommon in this kind of discussions. I can say that metric system is not less human than the Imperial one - not if you learn it since your early childhood. I can perfectly feel 10cm, 20cm, and so on. I can show you 30cm pretty accurately, but I don't feel a foot. Neither do I feel inches, ounces and gallons.

What they did in Canada was smart: since people were used to quarts and gallons, they just replaced them with 1 litre and 4 litres respectively, because even the most hardcore Imperial fans will not notice a significant difference.
Old November 5th, 2007, 03:15 PM   #909
noob(but not really)
BANNED

Stop trying to force it on me. I really couldn't care less how you "feel" measurements, I am not "feeling" the metric system. I was "taught" the system from elementary school, I just can't use it for everything - the majority of Canadians are like that, but you wouldn't understand because you're from Europe.
Old November 5th, 2007, 04:35 PM   #910
rick1016

Likes (Received): 15

I bet he tries to force it on Americans everyday!!

EDIT: The Metric system does make a lot more sense, but I still use feet and inches and pounds for my body measurements.
rick1016 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #911
go_leafs_go02

same.

I have no clue how many kg i weigh, or how many metres I am in height.

Still I'm hoping for conversion to metric by the Americans, it'll make things so much easier for everyone in the end.
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #912
noob(but not really)
BANNED

I would hate to see it go though. This sort of change would take several generations, and it wouldn't be easy to get everyone on board.

Canada is essentially a mix of America and Europe. We are bilingual, there's no reason we can't have two systems(we kinda do already).
Old November 6th, 2007, 01:50 AM   #913
Steeltown

Likes (Received): 143

Here's a video link of the Red Hill Creek Expressway ceremony.

http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/vid...llopening.html
Steeltown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 03:12 AM   #914
Grey Towers

Likes (Received): 45

Measurements in Canada are a crazy mishmash, but comfortable for those of us who have grown up with them. Officially, we use kilometres for travelling distances and speeds, litres for liquids, and feet, inches, and pounds (but grams, not ounces) for measurements such as body weight and height. I have never heard a criminal suspect described as about 175 centimetres and 80 kilograms.
Grey Towers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 04:43 AM   #915
Alex Von Königsberg

So, if someone who has no idea about the old Imperial system moves to Canada, will this person be able to live comfortably using only metric system? When I visited British Canada recently, the only old units I noticed were pounds for fruits and vegetables and only in some small shops.
Old November 9th, 2007, 04:48 AM   #916
KGB

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
So, if someone who has no idea about the old Imperial system moves to Canada, will this person be able to live comfortably using only metric system?

Absolutely. The metric system is pretty well entrenched enough that a metric-only person would not have much trouble. "officially" that is...in terms of personal "social" contact, it would depend on who you were talking to.

The funny thing with measurements, is that at some point, it is very difficult (or impossible) to "see" things any different than what your mind has accustomed itself to at some point in your life.

We tried going "cold turkey" metric, but I guess there are enough "old timers" still pure imperial that it kind of had a bit of a back-lash in certain things, so we kind of relapsed into imperial and metric for certain things.

I guess we will just have to wait a while longer for the ole timers to die off. he he

KGB
KGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 07:06 AM   #917
Daguy

Likes (Received): 0

I agree. The only that a person coming here needs to know is how to give his or her weight in pounds. Almost nobody weighs themselves in kgs here.

It's nothing personal to Americans but we need to go with the times. There are only 3 countries left in the world who havn't convereted to the metric, and at a minimum people should know how to convert between the two.
Daguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 07:36 PM   #918
noob(but not really)
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
I guess we will just have to wait a while longer for the ole timers to die off. he he
I wont go that easily
Old November 10th, 2007, 05:26 AM   #919
go_leafs_go02

the only way Canadians will go fully metric in their thinking is if our neighbours go metric (being Americans)

They influence us, and many industries still use imperial, particularly architectural. I take CAD courses at a Canadian college and EVERYTHING we do is in architectural. Haven't touched metric.

I wish imperial would disappear, but it's not going anywhere.
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #920
noob(but not really)
BANNED

That's actually why I don't like metric. And it's scary that we'll be using it one day for that.

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto