daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 22nd, 2008, 07:48 PM   #1001
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

^ wow

Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2008, 08:15 PM   #1002
Bartolo

Likes (Received): 1

where is that, I know its the 407, but whats the other highway, is it 404 or 410

edit: it is the 404
Bartolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 08:40 PM   #1003
LordMandeep

Likes (Received): 12

the 400 and 407 is a full four level interchange.

The interchange takes up a ridiculous amount of area...
Old March 23rd, 2008, 11:08 PM   #1004
Bartolo

And they were supposed to make the interchanges with the 404 and the 410 stacks as well
Old March 24th, 2008, 04:50 AM   #1005
sonysnob

I saw a map once of an early proposal of the 401/407 interchange in Mississagua. It was pretty funky, servicing Ninth Line, and it seemed to lend itself for a northerly extension along Brampton's Western Boundary.
Old April 1st, 2008, 07:13 AM   #1006
Xelebes
Salad Days Are Here

Likes (Received): 753

Scary crash on the Yellowhead today. An 18-wheeler going the wrong direction for 20 some km hits a guard rail and flips over onto train tracks and explodes into a giant ball of fire. Right out of a movie.

Old April 1st, 2008, 02:39 PM   #1007
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Indeed, scary
Old April 1st, 2008, 03:16 PM   #1008
Schweden
Registered Loser

Likes (Received): 40

Man... Wow. That's scary.
Schweden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 05:21 PM   #1009
Xelebes
Salad Days Are Here

Likes (Received): 753

That crash happened 3 blocks away from my old bus stop too.

In happier, but still strressful news, 23rd Ave overpass over Gateway Boulevard/Calgary Trail (aka QEII Highway) begins construction, which will see a bottlenecks happen. This intersection is one of the busiest in Edmonton, seeing 120 000 vehicles a day.
Old April 7th, 2008, 02:44 AM   #1010
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

image hosted on flickr

source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2390817987
Old April 7th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #1011
bgplayer19

Likes (Received): 0

Guys is it true that they plan to demolish the Gardiner Expressway and do an underground motorway?When I went in Toronto in the summer my uncle told me that!I was really surprised because i don't see what's wrong with the Gardiner Expressway!Anyway have you posted any pics of the motorway to Sarnia and the US border there?
bgplayer19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 05:33 PM   #1012
sonysnob

Gardiner Expressway

Old April 7th, 2008, 07:56 PM   #1013
bgplayer19

The best view of the CN Tower from a car is the Gardiner Expressway :P
Old April 8th, 2008, 07:05 AM   #1014
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgplayer19 View Post
Guys is it true that they plan to demolish the Gardiner Expressway and do an underground motorway?When I went in Toronto in the summer my uncle told me that!I was really surprised because i don't see what's wrong with the Gardiner Expressway!Anyway have you posted any pics of the motorway to Sarnia and the US border there?
Frankly, I agree with you, and think that the so-called "Gardiner barrier" concept is greatly exaggerated, and is nothing compared to the massive railway that passes just a little north of it, with its giant and ugly underpasses.

However, aesthetics aside, the Gardiner has a lot of technical problems. It is quite old, and (in my opinion) wasn't constructed very well, or at least wasn't maintained very well. As a result, from time to time there are small chunks of it that fall off, and apparently it has lots of structural problems. If not completely rebuilt, it at least should be heavily renovated/reconstructed.

Of course, having a tunnel instead of the elevated Gardiner would be very nice, and much better than the current situation, but there is no way that this is happening anytime soon (and even not so soon ). The amount of money involved here is huge, and the city doesn't have it. And I do agree that there are many more projects (such as expansion of public transport) that are much more important.
Old April 8th, 2008, 03:57 PM   #1015
Bartolo

and all the people that just say to close are crazy, because the local roads (Lakeshore) would not be able to handle the influx of traffic. Its like the people that want Cootes Drive in Hamilton closed. It goes from Main St. W at McMaster to Dundas and is a by-pass of Main St. W. People want to tear it up because it goes through Cootes Paradise (swamp area). The thing is, is that Main St. W can not handle the extra 30000 cars per day going down it, it can barely handle the amount of traffic it has now.
Old April 8th, 2008, 10:33 PM   #1016
bgplayer19

Yes this idea is really stupid!I've heard that the same project was done in Chicago and it's still not finished due to the lack of money!I know that in the moment Toronto has problems with funds and this kind of project is not a good idea!
Old April 13th, 2008, 12:07 AM   #1017
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19129

I have question about highway 185 in Quebec. It is part of trans-canada highway. When are they going to twin it? I looked on Wikipedia and some other sites and there are plans that Hwy 185 will become freeway. But I couldn't find any time scale or information on which stage project currently is.
New Brunswick is finishing or just finished building freeway on their part of TCH.
So the last gap in freeway connection between Toronto, Montreal and maritime provinces is Hwy 185.
Does anyone have more news about this project?

Another question is about these two lane freeways in maritime provinces. Is there space left so it is possible to build second lane in future? Or they going to be forever narrow because houses stand next to it and so on?
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 01:01 AM   #1018
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Does the 'high' in highway refer to high speed? And does this word 'highway' trace its origins to Canada, the USA, or both? Does anyone have research on this as opposed to speculation/opinion?
No, it's a very old word, (it come from England) then they used high as main or main road. I mean a long time ago centrueis ago.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #1019
sonysnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
I have question about highway 185 in Quebec. It is part of trans-canada highway. When are they going to twin it? I looked on Wikipedia and some other sites and there are plans that Hwy 185 will become freeway. But I couldn't find any time scale or information on which stage project currently is.
New Brunswick is finishing or just finished building freeway on their part of TCH.
So the last gap in freeway connection between Toronto, Montreal and maritime provinces is Hwy 185.
Does anyone have more news about this project?

Another question is about these two lane freeways in maritime provinces. Is there space left so it is possible to build second lane in future? Or they going to be forever narrow because houses stand next to it and so on?
Quebec 185 is supposed to be a full freeway by 2012 i think. I drove it a few years ago, and there were a couple of new stretches of freeway.
Old April 15th, 2008, 09:12 PM   #1020
gannman1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
The 'freeway' usage varies by region in the USA, too. Wisconsinites and Illinoisians would *NEVER, EVER* refer to a toll road as a 'freeway', it's a 'tollway'. Same design standards as a 'freeway' but one must pay a toll to use it.

Also, amazingly, there are a select few roads in the USA that are marked as 'interstates' but are not built to freeway standards (they have intersections). These include I-180 in Cheyenne, WY, a section of I-78 (by the Holland Tunnel) in Jersey City, NJ and the most notorious one of all, I-70 in Breezewood, PA.

Mike
Don't forget about roads signed as "Freeways" and are the furthest thing from. There are two sections of U.S. 340 in West Virginia which are signed as freeways (one even has a name) but have at-grade intersections and even *gasp* traffic signals. At least there is a 60mph speed limit though.
gannman1975 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto