daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 15th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #1021
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

How do you sign a "freeway"? I thought the US didn't have such markers/signs, like in Europe.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #1022
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Unfortunately, the USA is not keen on pictorial signs. However, in the beginning of a merging lane, there is a textual sign that reads "Freeway Begin". The picture below is from Australia, but is very similar to the one used in the States.

Old April 17th, 2008, 04:04 AM   #1023
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Highway 6 in Hamilton is being reconstructed into a freeway facility between the QEW and Highway 5. Some pics:

Old April 19th, 2008, 06:50 AM   #1024
Brisbaner21
Sunshine City

Likes (Received): 6

How much better are Canadian Highways compared to American ones?
Brisbaner21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #1025
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisbaner21 View Post
They ain't Strumatic, if that's what you mean. Crashbarriers rust bad in Canada.
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 12:36 AM   #1026
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Quote:
What makes you think that they are better? It depends on the particular province and state that you are comparing. Ontario's 400-series in many sections tend to be better than Interstate highways in certain states, but then again, some US states have well-maintained highways, whereas due to harsh winters and economics, many highways and roads in Canada are in pretty bad condition when it comes to pavement quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUchamps View Post
They ain't Strumatic, if that's what you mean. Crashbarriers rust bad in Canada.
Many (if not most) freeways in Canada use concrete barriers or grass medians, but you would be right otherwise.

Also, snowploughs often damage the roads quite badly. I never thought that this is significant, until I drove several times on Allen Road (a short expressway in Toronto) a few weeks ago. Some sections of the road are completely destroyed (deep potholes and cracks). Just last year, I drove the same road and it was in almost perfect condition. We had a very snowy winter this year, and I suspect that that's the reason, and the effect has been really profound.
Old April 20th, 2008, 12:39 AM   #1027
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

Potholes often appear during the end of the winter. Even in the Netherlands, if there were times with snow (not quite this winter), some sections need to be repaved because of all the potholes. The motorway near my city encountered some serious potholes, some over 4 inches deep, and 10 feet long, causing lane closure.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 12:47 AM   #1028
TheCat

Yeah, you're right. The only problem is that sometimes it takes them literally years to fix these potholes, or if they are very deep, they just crudely fill them with a small amount of asphalt so your car doesn't sink into them, but a resurfacing may not happen for many years. It is not as big a problem on the motorways, but there are some main streets in Toronto which have asphalt in simply horrible condition, and it has been like that for almost all the years that I've been living in Toronto.

However, it seems that lately (in the last 2 years or so) they started fixing many of the streets here. Just last night I drove on a main street that was in very bad condition last year (and of course many years prior to that), and a major chunk of it (just under 10 km I think) had the top layer of asphalt removed (it was a little hard to drive there at night), and a chunk immediately following it was recently repaved and great to drive on. I hope they will finally fix the really bad roads
Old April 20th, 2008, 04:40 PM   #1029
lambersart2005
-le sudouest-

Likes (Received): 13

échangeur turcot interchange

does anybody know something new about the reconstruction of the turcot interchange near downtown montréal? I heard, they want to invest 1 mrd de dollars! On the one hand, its a good thing as the quality of the interchange is frightening (you drive in such heights on a completely declined structure) but on the other hand, its such a pitty if they really destroy the elevated stretch and put it "down to earth". Also provided nice views of the MTL skyline and for me its always a highlight to come back to the city, pasing through this great masterpiece of art :-))

alors, merci déjŕ pour des réponses... profitez des premiers rayons de soleil de ce printmeps retardé!
lambersart2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #1030
bgplayer19

Likes (Received): 0

Highways in Quebec are so awsome!!!I want to go to Montreal agaaaaain ;(;(;(
bgplayer19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 02:16 PM   #1031
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10964

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Another question is about these two lane freeways in maritime provinces. Is there space left so it is possible to build second lane in future? Or they going to be forever narrow because houses stand next to it and so on?
Twinning of the highway from the Quebec/New Brunswick border all the way to the Atlantic Ocean in Halifax, Nova Scotia (The Trans-Canada Highway) began a long time ago. I don't believe there are any sections left that are not divided, 4 lane, and controlled access. The newer sections have 110 km/h speed limits. The older sections are 100 km/h. The Maritimes are densely populated by Canadian standards, but not as dense as Southern Ontario or Europe. During the decades long twinning infrastructure improvement, a relatively few number of buildings stood in the path of the new lanes. Buildings were either bought then demolished, or feasible detours were available. Future twinning of other Maritime roads would face few major obstacles.

There are other sections within Nova Scotia that are also twinned, 4 lane, and controlled access. The majority of the highways have not been upgraded in this fashion though.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 05:56 PM   #1032
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
I noticed that in British Columbia and Washington, the highway quality is approximately the same. Some streets of Vancouver suburbs (Surrey, Burnaby, Tsawwassen) have a lot of potholes, but so do Seattle's West Side. Trans-Canada in BC is also in a very good condition, at least no worse than I-5 and I-90 in Washington.
Old April 21st, 2008, 07:25 PM   #1033
Bartolo

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Twinning of the highway from the Quebec/New Brunswick border all the way to the Atlantic Ocean in Halifax, Nova Scotia (The Trans-Canada Highway) began a long time ago. I don't believe there are any sections left that are not divided, 4 lane, and controlled access. The newer sections have 110 km/h speed limits. The older sections are 100 km/h. The Maritimes are densely populated by Canadian standards, but not as dense as Southern Ontario or Europe. During the decades long twinning infrastructure improvement, a relatively few number of buildings stood in the path of the new lanes. Buildings were either bought then demolished, or feasible detours were available. Future twinning of other Maritime roads would face few major obstacles.

There are other sections within Nova Scotia that are also twinned, 4 lane, and controlled access. The majority of the highways have not been upgraded in this fashion though.
There is still a section in Central New Brunswick that are not twinned. Its from about 20km south of Edmunston till around Woodstock. I drove that section in October, and it looked like they were going to be doing something on there soon.
Bartolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 09:35 PM   #1034
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Potholes often appear during the end of the winter. Even in the Netherlands, if there were times with snow (not quite this winter), some sections need to be repaved because of all the potholes. The motorway near my city encountered some serious potholes, some over 4 inches deep, and 10 feet long, causing lane closure.
Oh I just experienced it yesterday, I travelled on the one and a half year old mountainroad leading to mountaintowns like the resort Bansko in Bulgaria and I saw how many cracks were filled up with black asphaltstrips, you know what I am talking about. But I was extremly dissapointed of the bad quality of the asphalt, how can this happen after one year, it was a section doen by Bulgarians, however when the new section stopped and the older section of another comapny started there were no cracks and the road was very smooth, altough it was 2 years old.

The E-79 and Struma motorway in Bulgaria have to stand LOTS of snow every winter because they are at a very high attitude for 1st class roads, they reach up to 1000 m and probably because of many mountains around it there´s a microclimate in that area which makes the winters even stronger. But after the second winter the new streches have apsolutely nothing at all, the markings even shine and the asphat is 100% perfect, because it is good quality. I hope it wil hold 10 years before even one crack must be filled.
radi6404 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 02:54 PM   #1035
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18129

Americans have a much bigger highway network than Canada. That's obvious from the population differential. The Interstate system is far more extensive than the Canadian network, while some Canadian highways in the sparse areas are only 2 lanes.

However, toll roads are quite a foreign concept in Canada compared to the US.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 10:02 AM   #1036
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartolo View Post
There is still a section in Central New Brunswick that are not twinned. Its from about 20km south of Edmunston till around Woodstock. I drove that section in October, and it looked like they were going to be doing something on there soon.
Thanks for the information. I thought they would have had that section done by now. I haven't driven it in over a year and it looked like they were preparing for twinning back then.

It will be great once it's all finished. Upon completion, you'll have 4 lane, divided, and controlled access from Halifax to Toronto with the possible exception of that small stretch from the New Brunswick border to Riviere du Loup, Quebec.

The biggest stumbling block to a coast to coast system like this will always be Northern Ontario. It's just too sparsely populated and massive. Isn't it something like 1500 km across, twice the size of France, and only 800,000 people?
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 03:03 AM   #1037
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 856

Yes, the freeways in BC are well maintained but they damnwell should be considering how thin they are. The widest freeway part in all of BC is just 20 km and it's only 3lanes each way. Vancouver's road system is beyond pathetic. This is why Vancouverites have the second longest commutes in Canada after Toronto but not near as short as Montreal's even thou Montreal has a 60% larger population. That is also because Montreal has a great transit system and Vancouver doesn't.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 08:49 AM   #1038
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Americans have a much bigger highway network than Canada. That's obvious from the population differential. The Interstate system is far more extensive than the Canadian network, while some Canadian highways in the sparse areas are only 2 lanes.

However, toll roads are quite a foreign concept in Canada compared to the US.
The Federal Gov't dumped billions of dollars in developing their interstate system. I don't think any American city does not have an interstate rushing through their downtown, if not, at least a major state highway.

Funny, in Vancouver, almost all the bridges began as tolls, but then they were removed when the BC Gov't purchased them. Vancouver will be recieving a few toll bridges soon in the coming years: 2009-Golden Ears Bridge, 2012-Port Mann Twin, and after the Gateway Program when the BC Government develops Gateway v2, Oak Street & Massey Tunnel might be tolled as well. Arthur Liang might be tolled as YVR is considering this option.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 10:58 AM   #1039
bgplayer19

Likes (Received): 0

I have a question:When was the ETR(Toronto) built?If I'm not mistaken it's build by the Spanish right?
bgplayer19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 11:33 PM   #1040
TheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgplayer19 View Post
I have a question:When was the ETR(Toronto) built?If I'm not mistaken it's build by the Spanish right?
It was built by the Canadian Highways International Corporation and opened in 1997.

However, after a very bad deal which is considered to be a mistake by most people, it was sold to a bunch of private companies, a Spanish one being the largest shareholder.

As stated on Wikipedia: "The company, known as 407 International Inc., is owned by a consortium comprised of Cintra Concesiones de Infraestructuras de Transporte (major shareholder) from Spain, Macquarie Infrastructure Group, and Montreal-based engineering firm SNC-Lavalin."

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto