daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 8th, 2008, 08:34 PM   #1061
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Not to fight, but there is a big difference in both the quality and traffic volumes in BC and in Ontario. BC's Highway 1 is far, far, far more in need of upgrades relative to that of Highway 17 through much of Ontario.

I think around Sudbury, Highway 17 will start to get a little bit more attention, but probably not until the MTO is done blowing its brains out, at least on Highway 11.

Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2008, 07:24 AM   #1062
kokanee2

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Not to fight...
Yeah... well.... when I lived in GTA in 2003, it blew my mind how all the locals considered "the north" as being anything more than 50 km away from the shore of Lake Ontario.

You in Hamilton may have a right to complain about local grid-lock (and I concur, it was getting on the bad side of just barely acceptable), but I would argue there are local, regional, and national strategies.

- Local would be how fast you can get from Stoney Creek to Dundas.

- Regional would be from Niagra Falls to Oshawa.

- National, would be how a canadian without a passport -- in this security conscious age, with the least of hindrance -- could travel the quickest from Estevan to Trois Rivieres.

Traductor Google: Ingles -> Espanol http://translate.google.com/translate_t#en|es|
Google Translate: Spanish -> English http://translate.google.com/translate_t#

Last edited by kokanee2; May 10th, 2008 at 09:20 PM.
kokanee2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 09:12 AM   #1063
Spoolmak

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokanee2 View Post
All six lanes?

I know the climbing and descending parts are six lanes, but there are parts between Merritt and Hope that I know are (were?) four lanes.

By the way, how is the new divided highway part between Merritt and Aspen Grove, in order for connecting to the Okanagan Connector?
Well I am sure that it is 6 lanes from Merritt to Kamloops, and most parts from Merritt to Hope are 6 lanes, and four lanes at times, but that is only because you're pretty much driving a mountain side, so 6 lanes would be kinda difficult, but possible, but maybe they just haven't gotten around to widening it yet, but no matter anyway, that section of highway never gets bottlenecked so its all good. And I dont know about the Merritt Aspen Grove connector seeing as how I have never been to Aspen Grove
Spoolmak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 10:33 AM   #1064
nname

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokanee2 View Post
All six lanes?

I know the climbing and descending parts are six lanes, but there are parts between Merritt and Hope that I know are (were?) four lanes.

By the way, how is the new divided highway part between Merritt and Aspen Grove, in order for connecting to the Okanagan Connector?
Highways 97c between Merritt and Aspen Grove is indeed 4 lanes now, but it is undivided (just like highway 7 between Maple Ridge and Mission).

And most of the Coq is indeed 4 lanes. The only place I can think of that is 6 lanes is a 4km segment from Hope to the junction of Hwy 3, and a short section near the great bear snowshed. The others are just climbing lanes.
nname no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 07:56 PM   #1065
Bartolo

Likes (Received): 1

[QUOTE=kokanee2;20508182]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Not to fight.../QUOTE]

Yeah... well.... when I lived in GTA in 2003, it blew my mind how all the locals considered "the north" as being anything more than 50 km away from the shore of Lake Ontario.

You in Hamilton may have a right to complain about local grid-lock (and I concur, it was getting on the bad side of just barely acceptable), but I would argue there are local, regional, and national strategies.

- Local would be how fast you can get from Stoney Creek to Dundas.

- Regional would be from Niagra Falls to Oshawa.

- National, would be how a canadian without a passport -- in this security conscious age, with the least of hindrance -- could travel the quickest from Estevan to Trois Rivieres.
I'm not going to lie, I think anything north of 89, is up north, well on the west side of the GTA and anything north of Barrie, but thats just because it is all relative. I still see no point in twinning all of 17, for that matter if they do twin something up north, it best be 11 instead, since runs in a mostly flat area. It may not appear to be the most direct route, but it is. I can see twinning around around the Soo, which is already being done, and eventually it will connect with Sudbury and the 400. And also create a true freeway around Thunder Bay, and then bypasses around the smaller towns, so that instead of going through, you go around.
Bartolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 06:46 AM   #1066
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Sorry for the double post but I thought I may as well share the rest of these pictures with you.

Again, these are just on my hard drive, and I do not remember where I got a lot of them from. All credit goes to whoever took the pictures.

An oldie: 401/Spadina Expressway from back in the 1960's.

404: new HOV lanes. Note the differences in the road markings in each carriageway:

401: Hogg's Hollow Bridge.

Gardiner Expressway, facing Downtown Toronto:

400: Northern Ontario.

400/407 from above.

400/407, facing Downtown Toronto.

402: Blue Water Bridge.

402: highway curve from above.

Anyways, thats it for now. I hope you enjoyed them!

Best,
-Haljackey

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 08:27 AM   #1067
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Great pictures, thanks!
Old May 10th, 2008, 08:41 AM   #1068
kokanee2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartolo View Post
I still see no point in twinning all of 17, for that matter if they do twin something up north, it best be 11 instead, since runs in a mostly flat area. It may not appear to be the most direct route, but it is. I can see twinning around around the Soo, which is already being done, and eventually it will connect with Sudbury and the 400. And also create a true freeway around Thunder Bay, and then bypasses around the smaller towns, so that instead of going through, you go around.
Have you ever been "up north (or northwest)" for real ?

That flat Hwy 11.... interesting concept.

I think it would work (although I never drove) it, if they increased the posted speed to 110 or 120, like the Coquihalla. That would be the only justification I see for people to have the excuse to take a way that is longer in distance, and of higher cost in gas mileage.

Traductor Google: Ingles -> Espanol http://translate.google.com/translate_t#en|es|
Google Translate: Spanish -> English http://translate.google.com/translate_t#
kokanee2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 08:51 AM   #1069
Bartolo

Yes I've been up north before, up north as in Northern Ontario and I used to live in northern southern Ontario (Wiarton, ON). And I was mistaken about 11 being shorter, it is longer, by about 80km, when taken from Toronto to Thunder Bay. Anyways I still don't think that 17 needs to be twinned, maybe a speed limit increase to 100 and twinning around larger (2000+) centres and passing lanes on up and down hills when needed. The traffic volumes in Northern Ontario do not warrant 4 lanes the whole way.
Old May 10th, 2008, 04:55 PM   #1070
sonysnob

^ I don't think there is an easy solution when it comes to what to do with highway 17 through the north. I can understand why people wish it to be twinned so badly, but I would hate to see a lot of the towns the highway passes through by-passed. I think a lot of them depend pretty heavily on stopping traffic.

Highway 11 between Bracebridge and North Bay is a great road, and really quick to drive, but aside from the big box development in Huntsville, you wouldn't know that anybody lived in the corridor.
Old May 10th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #1071
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10392

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
The Federal Gov't dumped billions of dollars in developing their interstate system. I don't think any American city does not have an interstate rushing through their downtown, if not, at least a major state highway.
No, actually plenty do.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 04:00 AM   #1072
Bartolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ROT View Post
No, actually plenty do.
as in they don't have highways going through downtown's. I think the majority of major centres do have freeways running through or near the downtown. A city like Hamilton would of had a freeway running right through downtown if it was in the US, rather than having the freeway (Burlington St.) just stop in the middle of the port area.
I'd hardly count Burlington St. as a freeway though, it is just a grade separated road in spots.
Old May 11th, 2008, 04:58 AM   #1073
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

Likes (Received): 366

I am finding it quite funny the arguements for not twinning Northern Ontario. Not enough traffic? Come on Saskatchewan has virtually no traffic yet the TCH #1 is all twinned and at least half of TCH #16 is twinned.

Absolutely no reason the TCH in Northern Onario can not be twinned. Maybe not all at once but piece by piece it can and SHOULD be done.

zyxwvutsrqponmlkjihgfedcba
Calvin W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 06:04 AM   #1074
sonysnob

You know, take what you want from this, but I think that one of the reasons that northern ontario is unique, and worth the visit, is because it doesn't have any four lane highways.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 10:16 PM   #1075
subwaywhore

this is nothing... looks a lot like atlanta. ugh.
subwaywhore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2008, 07:04 AM   #1076
sonysnob

i'll never get tired of toronto's massive highways

Old May 26th, 2008, 02:43 PM   #1077
Schweden
Registered Loser

Likes (Received): 40

Schweden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 05:44 PM   #1078
bgplayer19

How do you move from the express line to the other lines if you need to go the next interchange??
bgplayer19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 02:54 AM   #1079
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

If you just entered the express lanes and you want to exit at the next interchange, you're out of luck. The express lanes have exits to the collector lanes once in a while. If one wants to drive for a very short distance, one should not enter the express lanes.

At each upcoming exit from the express to the collectors, the next 3 exits are usually listed.

The connections between the express and collectors are basically interchanges, very similar to regular interchanges between freeways, except that of course you can only go to the same direction.
Old May 28th, 2008, 05:24 AM   #1080
sonysnob

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto