daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 31st, 2008, 11:33 PM   #1101
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
The Gardiner is like any elevated structure and requires maintenance, but it is not falling apart. How is an at-grade freeway is a better solution than a raised freeway that you can freely drive or walk under? How the heck are we supposed to cross an at-grade freeway, as pedestrians?

Toronto does not have the luxury of massive federal funding, like Boston had when it launched its
(dubious) Big Dig project to bury the freeway. The only conceivable way to do it is by using private developers and giving them building rights on top.
I agree with you, so they have either not maintained it properly throughout the years, or they are just exaggerating the extent of the neglect (probably the latter is more true).

Either way, I wasn't proposing an at-grade freeway, but rather fixing/rebuilding the sections that require it.

There are some other problems with this too. It means that people going down the DVP will suddenly have to exit to a regular street, drive through it for a while, and then back onto a freeway (western Gardiner/QEW). It just seems like a stupid bottleneck, not a smart decision.

Regarding constructing it below the ground, that of course is something Toronto doesn't have money for.

Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2008, 07:44 AM   #1102
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

So you tear down the Gardiner, then what about the railway lands? Nobody ever seems to talk about how much of these impede pedestrian movement and divide neighbourhoods. The Gardiner isn't the most attractive of highways (though I don't think its repulsive either), but it isn't even the biggest separator between the core and the water.

Toronto has become the land of half-assed. Tear down the Gardiner and build a half assed arterial to replace it, or build half a subway line and abandon the rest because its underused. Where is the vision!?
Old June 4th, 2008, 03:35 PM   #1103
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Not much awesome about them with their uncorrected disintegration lasting the past quarter century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambersart2005 View Post
does anybody know something new about the reconstruction of the turcot interchange near downtown montréal? I heard, they want to invest 1 mrd de dollars! On the one hand, its a good thing as the quality of the interchange is frightening (you drive in such heights on a completely declined structure) but on the other hand, its such a pitty if they really destroy the elevated stretch and put it "down to earth". Also provided nice views of the MTL skyline and for me its always a highlight to come back to the city, pasing through this great masterpiece of art :-))

alors, merci déjà pour des réponses... profitez des premiers rayons de soleil de ce printmeps retardé!
Yes. Saint-Henri and Cote-Saint-Paul residents fear the impending years' worth of demolition and reconstruction. The whole interchange is going to be closer to the ground than up to the poor clouds.

FYI, at least one of the remaining couple of missing south-shore segments of Aut. 30 -- a ring road -- was started being built yesterday. The Kahnawake Mohawks got their land swap for the eastern (I think...) segment going through their reserve.

Last edited by trainrover; June 4th, 2008 at 07:46 PM.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #1104
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:

l'échangeur des A40/ A25 à anjou - note the details on the bridges!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post

I love how the yellow exit "tabs" point to the direction of the exit.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 07:11 AM   #1105
TheCat

I have gone on a short (~80 km) trip a few weeks ago with a few friends to a small park/river conservation area near a town called Rockwood. My friend took a few photos on our way back to Toronto. The quality leaves much to be desired (especially the dark shots at dusk), but I thought I'd still share them here.

The pictures capture the main two parts of the trip: Halton Regional Road 1 (also called Guelph Line), and the infamous Highway 401 (eastbound to Toronto).

Here is an approximate map:

First of all, this is me driving with my trusty GPS :

Halton Regional Road 1 (Guelph Line):

This guy drove below the speed limit for several km, and I couldn't pass him
because of oncoming traffic and my friend in another car who was behind me
(I didn't want to lose him):

Highway 401 East:
Resurfacing in progress - it was pretty dangerous, since it was hard to hold
the wheel straight on this section (next 3 photos), and later I found out that
one spring on my left front suspension was broken

Sign indicating the 407 ETR (the only toll highway in Ontario):

Empty variable message sign:

The collector-express system starts in this area, and this is where
the 401 starts getting really big:

Small traffic jam, lasted for a few km:

Gets really dark from here, sorry :

Last edited by TheCat; June 10th, 2008 at 07:23 AM.
TheCat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 05:40 PM   #1106
trainrover

(A storm cell blew over seven trucks crossing le pont Champlain --Aut 15 & 20-- yesterday.....250,000 Quebecers probably still experiencing blackout this morning.)
Old June 11th, 2008, 10:25 PM   #1107
[email protected]
aberdonian

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
we should start a pilgrim tour to the great North

vive le grand Nord :-) !!!
I have a question for you.Quebec Route 138 right now goes only as far as Natashquan. Are there any plans to extend it further east along the north shore eventually reaching Blanc Sablon ?
what a marvellous round trip one could then make by crossing over via the ferry to Newfoundland and back via Channel Port au Basques- North Sydney and Nova Scotia/ New Brunswick.
crieffite@comcast.ne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #1108
trainrover

You might wish to consult some webpage of Le minstère du transport du gouvernement du Québec.

I can tell you that the communities on the east end of Rte 138 were bitchin' about having to pay for petrol that, for them, has just finally become more expensive than cow's milk.
Old June 12th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #1109
trainrover

La Ville de Montréal's tactics are pissin' me off more 'n more. Today's report in Métro has revealed the snidy municipality's pursuit of reconstructing rue Notre-Dame est into «boulevard Notre-Dame», thereby implying the four-lane artery being 'morphed into an ''eight-lane urban boulevard'', when they in fact wanna be inserting an underground autoroute alongside the port grounds.

Gee whizzzzz: Welcome to N Am's Yankeetown! just another community over here where scheming lies be unconditionally acceptable . . .

Le maire Labonté veut recouvrir l'autoroute Notre-Dame
JENNIFER GUTHRIE, MÉTRO
12 juin 2008 12:10

Le chef de Vision Montréal et maire de l’arrondissement de Ville-Marie, Benoit Labonté, propose de bonifier le projet de modernisation de la rue Notre-Dame en enfouissant l’autoroute Ville-Marie et la rue Notre-Dame jusqu’à la rue Frontenac.

Le projet, baptisé Rives nouvelles et dévoilé hier, permettrait d’offrir un accès au fleuve, en plus de libérer 71 hectares (710 000 m2) de terrains sur lesquels 8 000 logements au minimum pourraient être construits.

«Le projet de la Ville prévoit déjà que l’autoroute Ville-Marie sera recouverte entre les rues Sanguinet et Amherst, a indiqué M. Labonté. Pourquoi ne finirait-on pas le travail en recouvrant les 700 derniers mètres, jusqu’à Frontenac?»

Benoit Labonté n’a pas précisé le coût du projet, mais Richard Bergeron, chef de
Projet Montréal, avance la somme de 500 M$ juste pour recouvrir l’autoroute.

Benoit Labonté a transmis sa proposition vendredi à la ministre des Transport, Julie Boulet, afin qu’elle soit incluse dans l’étude de faisabilité du recouvrement de l’autoroute promise en mai lors du dévoilement des plans de modernisation de la rue Notre-Dame.

Des parcs et des logements
Le maire de Ville-Marie souhaiterait développer de nombreux espaces verts sur les terrains créés par le recouvrement de l’autoroute Ville-Marie et d’une portion de la rue Notre-Dame. Un parc de 27 hectares (270 000 m2) – «ce qui est un peu plus que le territoire du Vieux-Port», a précisé M. Labonté – pourrait notamment voir le jour sur les berges du fleuve.

De 8 000 à 12 000 logements pourraient également être construits dans le quartier Centre-Sud, de part et d’autre de la rue Notre-Dame, entre le pont Jacques-Cartier et la rue Frontenac. «Il s’agit d’une occasion en or de retenir plusieurs familles au centre-ville», a affirmé Benoit Labonté.

Réplique cinglante des adversaires
Alan DeSousa, responsable du développement économique et du développement durable de Montréal, et Richard Bergeron, chef de Projet Montréal, n’ont pas été tendres envers Benoit Labonté et le projet Rives nouvelles.

«Comme responsable du développement durable, je suis heureux de voir qu’au moins M. Labonté souscrit au principe du recyclage, mais c’est dommage que ce soit les projets des autres qu’il recycle, a ironisé M. DeSousa. Une partie de ce qu’il présente est déjà contenu dans la Vision 2025 présentée en 2004 par la Société du Havre et qui fait partie intégrante du plan de match Montréal 2025 mis de l’avant par Gérald Tremblay depuis octobre 2005.»

«M. Labonté n’a pas proposé une seule idée originale depuis qu’il est arrivé en politique municipale il y a deux ans et demi», a ajouté M. Bergeron.
Old June 12th, 2008, 11:01 PM   #1110
trainrover

Oh, alright: it would only go to Frontenac, but still!
Old June 13th, 2008, 06:52 AM   #1111
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10970

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyqtor View Post
I don't mean to be rude or nitpicking, but wouldn't it be better if you adopted the French signage instead of the American one?
If you mean US signage, it isn't US signage. It's North American signage, and Quebec is in North America. Quebec is as North American as any other jurisdiction in Canada, the USA, Mexico, etc.

Should people in New York State adopt English signage because they speak English? This is silly.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 09:24 PM   #1112
TheCat

Downtown Toronto at Night by Car

I'm not sure if this warrants creating a separate thread (probably not), but the Toronto thread is labeled "Toronto's Massive Highways", which isn't at all what this is about

So anyway, I opened the same thread in the Toronto forum, so I'll mostly repeat what I said there

My friend and I recently created a little video of driving around downtown Toronto at night (my friend was the driver, I was filming and later editing). The result isn't perfect, but this was my first time trying to shoot something at night (we used my friend's compact MiniDV camera).

There was a bit of traffic in the beginning of the video, but after that it goes much faster. I also labeled the streets.

Make sure you select the "watch in high quality" option in Youtube (if you have a broadband connection, of course), since it makes a huge difference.

Anyway, I hope you like it. Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxvwW9nIwCU

Feel free to comment, and perhaps add your own videos of urban driving later (in that case, Chriszwolle may want to rename this thread). I know Chris has several cool Zwolle videos that I watched on his channel on Youtube.
Old June 15th, 2008, 09:31 PM   #1113
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Nice video. It was taken rather late right? It seems still pretty busy. You can easily pick out the guys with automatic gears, they brake all the time at traffic lights
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 09:37 PM   #1114
TheCat

It wasn't very late, but I'd say around 22:00. There were also some street closures about half an hour before we took the video because of some festival, so maybe it added a bit to the congestion.

And yes, probably 99% of the drivers have an automatic
Old June 16th, 2008, 05:17 AM   #1115
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
If you mean US signage, it isn't US signage. It's North American signage, and Quebec is in North America. Quebec is as North American as any other jurisdiction in Canada, the USA, Mexico, etc.

Should people in New York State adopt English signage because they speak English? This is silly.
It's no different from Puerto Rico using Spanish signage. Mexico also uses very similar signage, but in Spanish.

Part of me thinks that South Florida should adopt Spanish signage too, since most people here use Spanish more than English.

Quebec looks fascinating though.
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying

My Panoramio
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 06:42 AM   #1116
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_Chair View Post
It's no different from Puerto Rico using Spanish signage. Mexico also uses very similar signage, but in Spanish.

Part of me thinks that South Florida should adopt Spanish signage too, since most people here use Spanish more than English.

Quebec looks fascinating though.
I think you misunderstood the meaning of "signage". It is not merely the language written on signs but the entire signage system (i.e. shape and colour). Canada as well as Puerto Rico and Mexico uses the North American style of signs which is very different from European signage.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 02:51 AM   #1117
swaugh3

Likes (Received): 7

Any update on the Red Hill Valley Parkway?
swaugh3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 02:53 AM   #1118
swaugh3

Can anyone make a good map of all the planned freeway extensions?
Old June 24th, 2008, 02:59 AM   #1119
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaugh3 View Post
Any update on the Red Hill Valley Parkway?
It's been open for 6 months or so by now I think. Part of it has to be finished, and that is the the QEW Niagara bound ramp to the RHVP.

here are some pics taken right before it opened:

http://onthighways.com/Hamilton/RHVP_Cons.htm

Great link connecting Niagara to Southwestern Ontario.
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 02:59 AM   #1120
swaugh3

Can someone create a map of what Toronto and Ottawa's freeways should be like or should have been? I know that at least the Scarborough extension of the Gardiner would have at least alleviated traffic from DVP and 401.

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto