daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 25th, 2008, 04:50 AM   #1161
swaugh3

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
The first three photos are of the 407 near Brampton. The highway was built in the vacant lands of a hydro corridor. The final section is a recently widened stretch of the 401 between Windsor and Tilbury.
It is in Brampton, not near it.

Last edited by swaugh3; July 25th, 2008 at 05:29 AM.
swaugh3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2008, 05:21 AM   #1162
swaugh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
I couldn't agree with you more. Pretty much everything in Ontario was smooth asphalt until the 407's construction in the 1990's. Not only is concrete ugly, its noisy too!

Now other highways are having concrete resurfacing done. This includes the 401 east of Windsor. Its still not as noisy as the concrete US interstates, but enough to annoy you.

But with climbing asphalt prices, using the smooth surface is costing more and more these days.
Concrete lasts longer, but costs more than asphalt. However, there is the question of how it will fare against deicing salt during the winter seasons compared to asphalt.
Old July 25th, 2008, 05:26 AM   #1163
swaugh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
I noticed that the QEW is only about 5 miles (8 kilometers for you guys) from Highway 406 and the outskirts of Welland. Has the province ever considered a 400-series spur route to Welland? Then again, would one even be needed?
Welland is too small of a city (even smaller and less built up than Wilmington) to warrant any such thing. Now that I think about it, Highway 406 is the spur route.
Old July 25th, 2008, 05:30 AM   #1164
swaugh3

Quote:
I couldn't agree with you more. Pretty much everything in Ontario was smooth asphalt until the 407's construction in the 1990's. Not only is concrete ugly, its noisy too!

Now other highways are having concrete resurfacing done. This includes the 401 east of Windsor. Its still not as noisy as the concrete US interstates, but enough to annoy you.

But with climbing asphalt prices, using the smooth surface is costing more and more these days.
Concrete lasts longer, but costs more than asphalt. However, there is the question of how it will fare against deicing salt during the winter seasons compared to asphalt.
Old July 25th, 2008, 06:18 AM   #1165
[email protected]
aberdonian

Likes (Received): 2

Can anyone explain this. Quebec Autoroute 50 will eventually run from Hull to Montreal but is only partially completed. The junctions are numbered west to east from Hull yet the lowest number near Hull is Jct. 138. Why so?
crieffite@comcast.ne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 06:30 AM   #1166
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

Quote:
Damn, I wish I could write you that every single one of them's going to be railed instead of asphalted!
What do you mean?
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 11:07 PM   #1167
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

^It will hold up fine -- its not like concrete is new.
Old July 25th, 2008, 11:15 PM   #1168
sonysnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Can anyone explain this. Quebec Autoroute 50 will eventually run from Hull to Montreal but is only partially completed. The junctions are numbered west to east from Hull yet the lowest number near Hull is Jct. 138. Why so?
A-50 was intended to extend from Pembroke east to Ottawa, and the mileage is based from its theoretical western terminus. There had at one point been a very short 4-lane section of R-148 just east of the Allumettes Bridge. It was removed back in 2003 or so however.
Old July 26th, 2008, 07:12 AM   #1169
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

My newest video, this time of me driving from Mississauga (a suburb of Toronto) to Waterloo, a city just over 100 km west of Toronto. The weather was very bad unfortunately, and I've experienced one of my scariest driving situations yet (toward the end of the video). Also, parts of the 401 are undergoing resurfacing, and the current surface on these sections is very dangerous. A more detailed explanation is on Youtube.

Featured in this video are Highway 401, Highway 8 (it is a motorway in Waterloo), and the Conestoga Parkway (Highway 85). If you have a broadband Internet connection, I suggest clicking on the video and watching in high quality. In this weather, it makes a big difference.

Old July 27th, 2008, 08:58 PM   #1170
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:

Isn't concrete supposed to last a lot longer than asphalt?
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 06:24 AM   #1171
TheCat

I just returned from a trip to Ottawa and made some driving camera footage. It was my first time testing out the miniDV camera I bought two days ago, so not sure how it turned out, but I will try to post the videos on Youtube once I edit them and speed them up. They feature Highway 416, a long section of westbound Highway 401, east of Toronto (broken up into multiple sections, including a night drive through the huge section with the collector-express system), and a drive on some local 2-lane roads. So stay tuned (if anyone cares ).
Old July 30th, 2008, 07:13 AM   #1172
TheCat

Just found AMAZING videos of a long drive in Western Canada. Great video quality, and awesome scenery. Highly recommended!

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Last edited by TheCat; July 31st, 2008 at 02:12 AM.
TheCat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #1173
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

The videos are 'not longer available'. Btw, did you drive through Grand Forks, BC on the highway 3?
Old July 31st, 2008, 02:13 AM   #1174
TheCat

Ahm, they don't seem to work with direct embedding. However, they are available. I edited my post to simply link to them. Seems to work this way.

And regarding your question, I am not the creator of the video, so the answer is no Actually, I've never been to Western Canada yet, although the video really made me want to drive there.
Old July 31st, 2008, 04:04 AM   #1175
sonysnob

Those videos are awesome. Ontario sucks
Old July 31st, 2008, 09:28 AM   #1176
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
Ahm, they don't seem to work with direct embedding. However, they are available. I edited my post to simply link to them. Seems to work this way.

And regarding your question, I am not the creator of the video, so the answer is no Actually, I've never been to Western Canada yet, although the video really made me want to drive there.
You would want to drive there more once u get on the Sea-to-Sky Hwy... although it's a mess right now because of the construction... but it's supposedly the most beautiful "highway" in the world (more like most deadliest here though =P)

image hosted on flickr

Source: Flickr
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 05:35 AM   #1177
[email protected]
aberdonian

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
Just found AMAZING videos of a long drive in Western Canada. Great video quality, and awesome scenery. Highly recommended!

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Great, great videos. Thank you.
crieffite@comcast.ne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2008, 12:36 AM   #1178
Timon91
Error

Highway 99 to Whistler (= 2010 olympics) is currently closed because of rock slides. If you want to go to Whistler from Vancouver: the detour is only 454 km
Old August 3rd, 2008, 01:39 AM   #1179
G5man
High Speed Rail fan

Likes (Received): 37

Don't even get me started with dumb **** Falco. They don't even know a thing about traffic control in the Lower Mainland. They should have made it 4 lanes to Whistler and gotten rid of as much cliff as possible. Along with all the traffic lights (although the environmentalists would be all over them with getting rid of the cliffs) Improvements from the Pacific Truck Crossing? More like one more lane, same amount of stoplights.
G5man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2008, 09:03 PM   #1180
Timon91
Error

They should really check this whole road (and double it) before the 2010 Olympics

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto