daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 11th, 2008, 08:35 AM   #1201
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

Interesting videos. Looks good, the music goes well with that.

But how were you able to do that? Did someone in the passenger seat take the video or did you? Seriously, I don't understand how some of you here in this forum are able to take pictures (let alone videos) while driving...don't believe that I'd be able to do it.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2008, 09:50 PM   #1202
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Thanks

I indeed had someone in the passenger seat. In fact, in the last video (the Ottawa one) I was the passenger. My dad and I were sharing the driving task, and I filmed when my dad was the one driving. In the first video (Waterloo) I was the driver and my friend was holding the camera.

However, ideally I would like to be able to film without anyone by devising some sort of camera mount. One of the videos on my Youtube page (Driving to Wasaga Beach on Highway 400) was filmed with me driving and the camera glued to the dash with masking tape, using the case from my audio deck faceplate for support It was a funny setup, but I used a picture camera back then, and this would not be adequate for a proper video camera.

In the Ottawa video (and the video I'm going to post next, which is hopefully soon) I actually was able to simply place my relatively wide camcorder on the dash. However, I found that the resulting videos had shaking in them, which is hard on the eyes. I also filmed some sections in my upcoming video by holding the camera in my hand (while my dad was driving), but I found that the shake is horrible when the video is sped up.

I am definitely going to try to create a mount for my camera. It can already be placed securely on the dash, but I just need to find a way to secure it so it doesn't move and/or vibrate.

Maybe we should start a thread here about filming/shooting techniques that the members of this forum use to produce all of these wonderful road pictures/movies
Old August 11th, 2008, 10:04 PM   #1203
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I have some velcro on my dash and on my camera so I don't have to bother about it when driving.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 02:03 AM   #1204
TheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
I have some velcro on my dash and on my camera so I don't have to bother about it when driving.
That's exactly what I'm planning to try Except that I'm not sure about the shaking. Our roads are generally not as smooth sailing as yours. I think they even make some sections "rough" on purpose, to increase traction in the winter.
Old August 12th, 2008, 05:27 AM   #1205
WA
DJ Michael

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post

Wow, what an ancient bridge! Are there many of these left?
That reminds me of the NJ Turnpike so much
WA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 02:25 AM   #1206
hoosier

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
What a massive concrete mess.
I figured massive freeways with huge ramps would constitute a veritable wet-dream for you, since you advocate for more and bigger highways whenever possible.
Old August 15th, 2008, 05:03 AM   #1207
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

I was up in Parry Sound over the civic holiday. The whata gap of the 400 is finally finished now. looks pretty good.

Old August 15th, 2008, 05:41 PM   #1208
TheCat

Ooh, looks good Any extensions up to Sudbury?
Old August 15th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #1209
swaugh3

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
Ooh, looks good Any extensions up to Sudbury?
A leg of Highway 400 is supposed to open from Sudbury to Burwash Correct Centre next year. Extensions to connect the legs will come after that.
swaugh3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 05:28 AM   #1210
sonysnob

^ Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the first phase south of sudbury was due to be open this fall?
Old September 8th, 2008, 04:37 AM   #1211
TheCat

I just uploaded the second video from my Ottawa trip to Youtube. I was too lazy to get to it earlier. As in the first video, the camera work isn't great.

This video shows a very big chunk of Highway 401, including the huge collector-express system in Toronto (although in the dark unfortunately). It covers around 300 km of the highway overall, although in several chunks. A more detailed description is available with the video.

For high quality, use this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZXVfKcmJ4Y

Old September 9th, 2008, 07:59 PM   #1212
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
What do you mean?
We can't excel as well if three of the city's five commuter lines remain limited to rush-hour service...the province needs trains...furthermore and by quite a long stretch at that, Quebec City's addiction to expressways trumps any other city in this country.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 10:31 PM   #1213
trainrover

English-language CBC Radio was the only media to report there having been a one-metre long chunk of underside of the Turcott interchange that broke away and plumetted down ten metres to the ground, being too close for comfort for administrators at Le Centre Gadbois (a municipal recreational centre). Both a father with his baby in her push chair out walking the Lachine Canal tow path plus a nearby city bus just missed being hit by the debris. I'm kinda flummoxed at how come the car-loving, lone English local daily The Gazette didn't pick up on this bit of newsworthiness...

How very Quebec...
Old September 16th, 2008, 05:38 AM   #1214
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18133

Politicians pledge to twin important trade route through New Brunswick
4 September 2008

ST. STEPHEN, New Brunswick (AP) - The Canadian and New Brunswick governments are partnering to complete a four-lane Route 1 between Saint John and the United States border. Route 1 ends at St. Stephen, across the border from Calais, Maine.

The federal minister for the area, Greg Thompson, says the project will make the highway safer and ensure efficient movement of goods along the important trade corridor that connects Atlantic Canada with the northeastern United States.

Denis Landry, New Brunswick's transportation minister, says his department estimates that twinning the route will reduce the number of fatal accidents in the area by 90 per cent. The $275-million project includes about 17 miles of new four-lane highway and upgrades to about 18 miles of existing four-lane.

The federal Conservative government has agreed to pay half the cost, up to a maximum of $137.5 million.

Work is scheduled to be complete by 2014 at the latest.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 07:32 PM   #1215
trainrover

Yesterday, news reported there being something like a one-metre-deep hole in one of the Champlain's girders a year or so ago. The Champlain Bridge accommodates Autoroutes 10, 15, and 20.

Bridges issue may sway election campaign
Many structures need repairs. Tory candidates told to lay off idea of light-rail system on ice span

DAVID JOHNSTON
The Gazette

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Champlain Bridge is taking a terrible beating from heavy traffic use and needs to be fixed, but it will have to get in line behind other spans in Canada that need repairs or outright replacement, according to federal government authorities in charge of the bridge.

In the wake of a local Radio-Canada/CBC television report Monday night suggesting the Champlain was unsafe for traffic, independent engineers and federal authorities said the Champlain isn't very different from any other major metropolitan bridge: They all need work.

André Girard, vice-president of communications in Montreal for the Federal Bridge Corp. Ltd., said engineers conduct inspections of spans; the findings are used to determine repair priorities, and spending is approved based on those priorities.

On the basis of risk assessments done until 2007, the federal government decided to fund repair work on the Honoré Mercier Bridge instead of the Champlain Bridge. Early this decade, the big priority was the Jacques Cartier Bridge, on which $120 million was spent between 2001 and 2003.

A four-year repair project on the Mercier began in April, at an estimated cost of $145 million. Most of the work being done is on the Mercier's southbound span, which was built in 1934.

Unlike the Mercier, however, the Champlain, constructed in 1965, has a much more pertinent place within the current federal election campaign.

The Mercier connects Montreal with the South Shore riding of Brossard-

La Prairie. In 2006, the Bloc Québécois won 15 of the 16 ridings in the 450 area code - which takes in the South Shore and Laval; the Liberals captured one.

But of the 15 seats taken by the Bloc, the slimmest margin of victory was in Brossard-La Prairie, and the ruling Conservatives have been campaigning hard there for the past 18 months.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper's government made its biggest political splash on Aug. 18, on the eve of the current election campaign, when federal Transport Minister Lawrence Cannon suggested the federal government was considering tearing down the Champlain and building a new bridge.

Since then, a movement has emerged in the Châteauguay area, led by Andréa Jean, a bus driver with the Conseil Intermunicipal de Transport du Sud-Ouest, to demand any new bridge in Montreal be built close to the Mercier Bridge, not the Champlain.

Over the past two weeks, Jean and one of her passengers have gathered more than 2,000 signatures in favour of a new bridge for their region. Their petition calls for a span that would link LaSalle with the junction of Highway 30 and Route 132, outside the Kahnawake Mohawk reserve's territorial limits.

"It's our region that needs the new bridge," Jean said in Saturday's Soleil de Châteauguay newspaper.

In fact, bridge capacity is strained everywhere on the South Shore, with studies showing traffic density on the Jacques Cartier, Champlain and Mercier to be as high as on bridges anywhere else in North America.

The most recent Champlain structural inspections reflect the higher standards that have been in place since the 2006 collapse of the de la Concorde Blvd. overpass in Laval, killing five people.

Inspections have been made much more rigorous since then; as well, provincial and federal infrastructure budgets have risen accordingly, said Ottavio Galella, an independent consultant with Trafix Consultants of Montreal.

Those who died in the de la Concorde collapse have become "martyrs who have left us with a new kind of culture when it comes to prevention," he said.

A senior engineer with many years of experience on big projects in Montreal, who spoke on condition his name not be used, said the risk-assessment process in and around Montreal has become very good, and governments have made it known they will loosen the purse strings for any bridge that needs work.

Early Monday, before the Radio-Canada/CBC report aired, the South Shore

e-publication Pointsud.ca reported on the silence of federal Conservative candidates on the South Shore with respect to the proposed Light Rail Train project for the ice bridge, situated beside the Champlain Bridge.

Citing sources, Pointsud.ca said Conservative candidates had been specifically instructed not to push the idea of an LRT on the ice bridge anymore - even though the notion has wide regional political support on the South Shore.

Late yesterday, the Liberal campaign on the South Shore issued a news release calling for Cannon to "come clean" on the future of the Champlain.

Pierre Diamond, the Liberal candidate in Saint-Bruno-Saint-Hubert, went further, reiterating his party's support for the LRT project on the ice bridge.

Longueuil Mayor Claude Gladu said late yesterday he doesn't care whether the LRT gets built on the ice bridge or on a new Champlain Bridge.

"I'm not against a new Champlain Bridge - but not in 15 years," he said.

[email protected]

Champlain Bridge: It can't get any busier

It isn't just the Champlain Bridge that's busy. As this chart shows, the three main bridges linking Montreal to the South Shore are among the busiest spans in North America. Engineers measure traffic in terms of bridge density, defined as the annual number of vehicles divided by the number of lanes. By this standard, the Champlain leads the pack.

Bridge:..............................Champlain Br (Que)...Lions Gate Br (BC)...G. Washington (NY)...Mercier Br (Que)...Tappan Zee Br (NY)
Ann'l # of vehicles: ............... 57 100 000 ............ 25 000 000 .......... 104 700 000 ........... 28 900 000 .......... 50 000 000
Number of lanes: ........................... 6 ....................... 3 ........................ 14 .......................... 4 .................... 7
Volume (vehicles per lane): ..... 9 517 000* ........... 8 333 000 ............ 7 479 000 ............. 7 227 000 ............ 7 143 000
Density (# of vehicles ÷ by lanes): 100% .................. 89% ..................... 80% ..................... 76% ................. 61%

Bridge: ..................................J. Cartier (Que)...Golden Gate Br (CA)...Verr. Narrows Br (NY)
Ann'l # of vehicles: .................. 34 700 000 ........ 41 400 000 ............. 74 000 000
Number of lanes: ......................... 5 .......................... 6 ........................ 12
Volume (vehicles per lane): ....... 6 940 000 ........... 6 900 000 .............. 6 167 000
Density (# of vehicles ÷ by lanes): 73% .................... 74% ..................... 56%

Source: Transport Quebec, Gazette Files

* - Might this signify the N.A. span with the highest wear and tear? Plus, I wonder how come Cali's Bay Bridge is omitted from the chart...

Last edited by trainrover; September 17th, 2008 at 07:44 PM.
Old September 25th, 2008, 08:27 PM   #1216
trainrover

I don't understand why so much roadway buried alongside le Fleuve Saint-Laurent be so necessary (bolded below) ....plus this year's Car Free Day here this week, which news bragged to be the world's largest this year, was hijacked by 'green' vehicles on display, being show-cased...

Dans la foulée du projet du CHUM

Pour le maire Tremblay, le recouvrement de l'autoroute Ville-Marie est essentiel
Jean-Claude Grenier

24 Heures
24/09/2008 20h14

Dans l'esprit du maire Gérald Tremblay, il n'y a aucun doute. Les CHU de l'Université de Montréal et de l'Université McGill vont permettre à Montréal de se propulser encore plus loin parmi les grandes technopoles de la santé dans le monde.

«Ces nouveaux centres hospitaliers universitaires doivent aussi se traduire par de formidables réussites en matière d'architecture, de design, d'insertion urbaine et de développement durable.» insiste pour dire le premier montréalais.

M.Tremblay répète que son administration et le ministère des Transports ont mis en place, en mai dernier, un groupe de travail sur le recouvrement de l'autoroute Ville-Marie et de la rue Notre-Dame.

«Le recouvrement offrirait non seulement de nouvelles possibilités de développement, mais aussi qu'il viendrait réparer une profonde cicatrice au coeur même de notre ville, tout en améliorant la porte d'entrée du Vieux-Montréal.» fait-il part.

Le projet de recouvrement élaboré par les hautes instances municipales prévoit l'aménagement d'espaces verts à plusieurs endroits et aussi la construction d'édifices dans le concept «Campus des sciences de la vie»

Urgence

Pour le maire Tremblay, les longs discours autour du projet du CHUM doivent prendre fin. «Nous avons une occasion unique de concrétiser des projets qui pavent la voie à la réalisation du plein potentiel de Montréal et du Québec. La position de la Ville pour la réalisation de cet ambitieux projet est ferme. Le gouvernement a fait ses choix et les projets des centres hospitaliers universitaires doivent voir le jour dans les meilleurs délais. Nous en avons un urgent besoin pour assure l'essor de Montréal et du Québec.» de conclure le maire de la métropole.
Old September 30th, 2008, 06:55 PM   #1217
trainrover

A tragic anniversary

Two years ago today, five people were killed when an overpass fell in Laval. The province pledged to make the highway system safer, but some experts say those promises haven't been kept

WILLIAM MARSDEN
The Gazette

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Two years after the de la Concorde Blvd. overpass in Laval collapsed, killing five people, the overall safety of Quebec's highway structures has still not improved and in some ways has worsened, engineers and inspectors say.

None of the four major overhauls to the Transport Department promised by the provincial government last year have been carried out.

Although the government is spending billions of dollars to repair or replace crumbling ramps, bridges and overpasses, the work is not being properly supervised, creating a time-bomb situation, experts say.

"All we can say now is that we are not able to reassure the public that the work being done is safe," said Michel Gagnon, president of the Quebec Association of Engineers.

"We have the money that we didn't have, that's true. But we have not been given the tools to manage the money, to manage our projects."

He said the situation is similar to the 1960s, when the province went on a highway infrastructure building binge; the government hired incompetent contractors who built faulty structures that have cost billions to repair.

As was made clear during the Johnson Commission hearings into the de la Concorde overpass collapse of Sept. 30, 2006, almost every aspect of that viaduct's construction was faulty. Design, workmanship, concrete and the general supervision were all of disastrously poor quality.

Little has changed, Gagnon claims.

"I would say the situation is worse than before," he said. "You have more regions than before but you are not in a position to control them. There's a lot of work still to do."

While the infrastructure budget has increased 500 per cent, Gagnon noted, the number of engineers, inspectors and technicians has stayed the same. "In 2003 there was $170 million for structures. Now there is $842 million but the amount of engineers remains at 82. There is no logic to this."

The Gazette asked the Transport Department three times if it wanted to comment. Transport spokesperson Réal Grégoire said the department would not comment because it intends to present its own progress report to the public this week.

The government has imposed a hiring freeze on the Transport Department and is essentially allowing private companies to oversee the work of other private firms without any government supervision.

This has already lead to one disaster. Last year, a new bridge over Highway 50 near Montebello in the Outaouais had to be torn down after the government found the concrete was substandard. The cost of the bridge was $1.2 million. The government refuses to pay the contractor.

After the Johnson Commission last year made public its report on the de la Concorde collapse, criticizing the Transport Department for bad management, sloppy record keeping and a lack of professionalism, the department promised a major shakeup.

It promised billions of dollars to rebuild the province's crumbling highway system, improve training for inspectors and technicians, upgrade internal communications and record keeping, and better inform the public about the status of the highway network. It also promised to create an independent agency to oversee the inspection and maintenance of the highway infrastructure.

Surveillance practices and norms have not changed, said Stéphane Caron, of the Quebec Public Service Union, which represents highway inspectors and technicians.

"Essentially, the norms and practices are the same as before," he said.

"But that's not the problem. The norms are right. The problem is, the frequency of inspections is not enough and the norms are not always respected."

Inspections slated to be done in any given year are too often not performed because of lack of staff, he said.

"The second problem is that even when the inspections are done, the work that has to be done after the inspection is not always done, because of a lack of money or resources."

Eight months after the de la Concorde overpass collapse, the Transport Department launched an inspection blitz of aging bridges and overpasses of similar design.

Inspections of 332 structures revealed 25 needed immediate replacement, 25 required urgent repairs and three more had to be demolished immediately. The total cost of work is estimated at more than $2 billion.

Like Gagnon, Caron claimed there are not enough inspectors to ensure ongoing replacement and repair work is being done right.

In this sense, he says, very little has changed. The Johnson Commission report cited a lack of supervision during construction of the de la Concorde overpass in 1969 as one reason the roadway collapsed. Another was the fact it had not been properly inspected and repair work wasn't done in a timely fashion. When repairs were done, they were not performed properly.

One major setback for provincial Transport Minister Julie Boulet has been her inability to persuade the National Assembly to establish an independent agency to oversee highway repairs and construction.

Saddled with a minority Liberal government, she has been stymied by the Parti Québécois and the Action Démocratique du Québec, who contend such an agency will undermine department accountability.

Boulet claims the agency, which will be run by a board of directors selected by the minister, will be better placed than the civil service to contract work to the best firms because it won't be impeded by government contracting regulations.

The government fears incompetent firms sometimes win contracts simply because they are the lowest bidders.
Old October 14th, 2008, 12:57 AM   #1218
guajero

Likes (Received): 0

As a kid I always loved the highway between VT and Sherbrooke. The high tension lines that follow it are beautiful.
Old October 16th, 2008, 06:18 PM   #1219
TheCat

I just uploaded a new video on Youtube of my trip last weekend. It features Highway 401, a drive on a bunch of country roads, and finally a scenic drive inside a conservation area. The weather was beautiful and the autumn colours were captured in their full glory. Hope you enjoy.

High quality here.

Old October 18th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #1220
sonysnob

maybe a silly question, but how come you took the 401 and not the 403?

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto