daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 19th, 2008, 09:20 AM   #1221
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Interesting question According to Google maps, the time to drive via the 403 and exiting on Highway 6 is actually the same as the one via the 401, although the distance is a little larger. Continuing on the 403 all the way to Highway 24 (King George Rd.) adds 1 minute to the time estimate, although the distance increases by more than 10 km.

However, due to the shorter distance, it seems that overall the 401 is the most straightforward way to get there, especially since we actually started the drive from a Nofrills store a little further north than the location that I used as the destination in Google maps (my friend's house), so I guess my GPS chose the 401.

I do agree that for the sake of variety in my videos, the 403 would have made more sense. But that's fine, I'll make more videos next summer I really want to do the Toronto ring sometime, in off-peak hours when there is little traffic.

Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2008, 01:56 AM   #1222
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

gotta love the vids..keep them up..makes me proud to be from Ontario for some reason.

401 seems like a logical choice to me as well for how you got there, compared to the 403.
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 04:01 AM   #1223
TheCat

Thanks
Old October 21st, 2008, 11:11 PM   #1224
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Nice video! I've seen a few of em now, and you have done a good job!

I too would like to see a vid driving through the 401 from 410-Brock on a clear afternoon. Keep up the great work!

Best,
-Haljackey

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 12:47 AM   #1225
TheCat

Thanks again.
Old November 7th, 2008, 09:51 PM   #1226
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Turcot project to become election issue, foes vow

The Gazette

Friday, November 07, 2008

A coalition of community groups that hopes to send a plan to rebuild the aging Turcot Interchange back to the drawing board aims to use the provincial election campaign as a stage for its concerns.

The coalition will question politicians at all-candidates debates and arm itself with a logo and a motto, a public meeting in St. Henri was told last night.

The $1.5-billion plan to raze the elevated tangle of expressways and rebuild the roads mostly at ground level by 2015 flies in the face of Quebec government policies to reduce pollution from vehicles and promote mass transit, critics told the meeting.

"It's good to cross the city on a highway but we have to think about the people who live next to it," Raphaële Leclerc, 27, said.

Leclerc, a trained architect, lives in a 60-unit building on St. Rémi St. that will probably be demolished because of the project.

About 160 housing units in an area of St. Henri known as Tannery Village are to disappear.

The Quebec government should ensure the project allows for possible future shifts in transit trends, Leclerc said. "For instance, will there be smaller cars, more carpooling, more tramways?" she asked.

Members of the coalition, which includes about 20 groups, will also attend provincial environmental impact hearings on the Turcot project, local resident Derek Robertson said. The hearings are to start in February.

"The project risks cutting off the area even more than it is from the rest of the city," he said.

Michel Gariépy, a Université de Montréal urban planning professor, told the meeting the provincial hearings offer a slim chance for residents to have the project modified - if they raise substantive doubts about it.

On the Web: http://mobilisation-turcot.info
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 06:23 AM   #1227
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 862

http://www.onthighways.com/hwy_2_ima...diner_2_lg.jpg
Old November 24th, 2008, 08:24 PM   #1228
TheCat

I made another video, although this time not of downtown (I just didn't want to open another thread - perhaps the title of this thread should be changed). It is a video of driving in a part of northern Toronto and the Town of Markham, which is a Toronto suburb located directly to the northeast.

High quality available here.
Old November 24th, 2008, 10:23 PM   #1229
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Nice video. Although the driving seems a bit like without specific goal.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 11:50 PM   #1230
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Also, is it possible to post regular (non-time-lapsed) videos? Personally, when I watch driving videos, I pay attention to road marking and traffic signage, but it makes it impossible with time-lapsed videos.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 03:00 AM   #1231
TheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Nice video. Although the driving seems a bit like without specific goal.
Hehe isn't it what this forum is all about? There actually was a purpose, except we were late to the mall (didn't realize it closed one hour earlier on that day) and then my friends couldn't agree on where we should eat, so we kept asking the GPS to guide us to random food places

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
Also, is it possible to post regular (non-time-lapsed) videos? Personally, when I watch driving videos, I pay attention to road marking and traffic signage, but it makes it impossible with time-lapsed videos.
Most of the videos are too long. I just usually don't have enough patience to watch real-time driving videos for some reason, whereas when they're sped up and with uplifting music I enjoy them somehow But perhaps I'll post some real-time later on. At one point I wanted to make a real-time video of driving through a street filled with all-way stop signs, to show the European members of this forum what it's all about, but haven't had the time for that. Now that the weather is becoming snowy, shooting these videos might have to wait a bit.
Old November 25th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #1232
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
Hehe isn't it what this forum is all about?
Don't know, let's ask Chris.

I don't have much patience to watch real-time driving videos either. It's fun in RL, but too slow to watch.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 07:42 PM   #1233
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19413

I agree, I make my new video's all 4x speed now Real-time is still interesting in some circumstances though.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 07:56 PM   #1234
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Yeah, when driving in the mountains a real-time video must be very interesting. On the A6 in the Netherlands I would prefer the 10x speed
Old December 9th, 2008, 07:29 PM   #1235
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18217

N.S. transportation minister needs to explain how private highway would not be a toll highway

HALIFAX, Nov. 27 /CNW/ -- HALIFAX, Nov. 27 /CNW/ - With the recent debacle on Nova Scotia's only toll highway still fresh in people's minds, the Canadian Union of Public Employees is questioning the MacDonald government's pursuit of yet another private highway.

CUPE Nova Scotia President Danny Cavanagh says, "One of the three P3 projects that this government is still considering is an 85-kilometre private highway from Sutherland's River to the Canso Causeway. Our question to Transportation Minister Murray Scott is, 'how does he expect to build a private highway and not have it be a toll highway?'

"I think given the glaring inefficiencies of our only existing private highway - that were laid bare in last week's snowstorm on the Cobequid Pass - Nova Scotians are in no mood to be giving away any more of our roads to some private corporation in a far away land," says Cavanagh.

"After what happened to those 1,500 stranded motorists, we do not want private companies telling us what we can and cannot do on our roadways. It's just that simple," he says.

"As for Greater Halifax Partnership chief economist Fred Morley, I'd like to thank him for providing such a refreshingly candid view on why the private sector likes P3's. Morley suggests this is actually a great time for P3's because that's where investors can get higher guaranteed returns in these uncertain times. I guess their motto should be, 'When times are tough in the markets...go to the public trough'."

Says Cavanagh, "When every other country in the G20 and every economist worth their salt is saying the days of tying our wagon to the private sector is over, at least until regulatory systems are tightened considerably, it appears to be business as usual for the government of Nova Scotia."

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #1236
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244723

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
You would want to drive there more once u get on the Sea-to-Sky Hwy... although it's a mess right now because of the construction... but it's supposedly the most beautiful "highway" in the world (more like most deadliest here though =P)

image hosted on flickr

Source: Flickr
This road when it finishes will be great!
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 07:47 PM   #1237
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18217

I thought the Trans-Canada along the Rockies is far prettier than Sea-to-Sky!

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 08:14 PM   #1238
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Some pics of route 3 in British Columbia near Grand Forks. Pics are made on the 31st of July this year on a drive from Grand Forks to Greenwood and back.

[IMG]http://i34.************/2e0jpxl.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i36.************/10wl93p.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i36.************/fwm3b7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i33.************/2w3cdht.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i37.************/vsfmgg.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i35.************/ejsu1k.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i34.************/34dstpg.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i34.************/9gy078.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i33.************/25yxfl4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i33.************/izxnuw.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i33.************/2jfc36d.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i36.************/a23dds.jpg[/IMG]