daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 17th, 2009, 04:52 AM   #1341
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The picture? Or the freeway? Or both?
lol, I guess both are.
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2009, 07:01 AM   #1342
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Hehe it's one of those times you're better off being on the collectors than the "express"
Old September 17th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #1344
mattec

Likes (Received): 112

They look like most other major cities' freeways..

Like Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, San Sntonio, LA, Miami, D.C., ect.
mattec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 01:26 AM   #1345
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

I posted a new video of a drive I made back in July

Includes a drive on the 401 in the middle of the collector-express system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUsZDzji81w&hd=1
Old October 17th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #1346
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18129

Trucker gets $305 ticket for smoking in his rig
Ontario law considers interior of truck to be an 'enclosed workplace'

The Canadian Press
9 October 2009

The burning question about precisely where a person can smoke these days is flaring up again in Ontario, where a 48-year-old trucker faces a $305 fine for lighting up on the job: while driving his big rig along Canada's busiest highway.

The man, who hails from London, Ont., was headed for Windsor when he was pulled over Wednesday along Highway 401 and given a ticket under the Smoke-Free Ontario Act.

The law, considered a Canadian standard-setter when it was passed in 2006, forbids smoking in all workplaces and enclosed public spaces, including buildings, structures or vehicles worked in or frequented by employees, according to the government's website.

"Examples of an enclosed workplace include the inside of a trailer office on a construction site, the inside of a loading dock, or the inside of a delivery truck," the site says.

Ontario Provincial Police Const. Shawna Coulter said the law is very explicit about what constitutes a workplace.

"It says the inside of any place, building, structure or vehicle that is part of the employee's workplace, which if you're driving a truck for long periods of time - that becomes your workplace."

The driver, whose name was not released, could have good reason to fight the ticket in court, said Doug Switzer, vice-president of the Ontario Trucking Association.

The provincial law ought not to apply in the case of federally regulated trucking companies that operate in other provinces or the United States, Switzer said - nor should it be brought to bear on truckers who own and operate their own rigs and work alone.

"It is a little complicated on the enforcement end because you've got thousands of people from OPP, municipal police forces and health unit enforcement staff, not all of whom are versed in the subtle nuances of the trucking industry or the smoking legislation," he said.

Julie Rosenberg, a spokeswoman for Ontario's Ministry of Health Promotion, refused to comment Thursday on whether or not the law would apply in the case of a truck belonging to a federally regulated company.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #1347
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

I would love to go on that highway (101 isn't it?).
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 09:08 PM   #1348
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

Its the 401 , the 101 is in California
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #1349
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Ah yes, thats it., I knew that the US Route 101 was in California, and I knew that the on in Toronto was something hundred and one, but wasnt sure what hundred.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 07:03 AM   #1350
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Its the 401 , the 101 is in California
Hwy 101 Starts in Lund BC, and suposedly runs all the way to the tip of South America. I think it's referred to as the "Inter American Highway."
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 08:17 PM   #1351
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf View Post
Hwy 101 Starts in Lund BC, and suposedly runs all the way to the tip of South America. I think it's referred to as the "Inter American Highway."
That's the Pan American Highway, but as far as I know it doesn't have a continuous route number, it's just referred to as the Pan American Highway. It also has a gap between North and South America.
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 02:10 AM   #1352
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robosteve View Post
That's the Pan American Highway, but as far as I know it doesn't have a continuous route number, it's just referred to as the Pan American Highway. It also has a gap between North and South America.
It's been referred to by both names and the gap is just south of Panama City. It's called the Darien Gap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dari%C3%A9n_Gap
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 11:00 PM   #1353
Jody Thornton
Historic Highways Fanatic

Likes (Received): 1

QEW Highway Pics From the 1960s and 1970s

Hi Folks:

Some time back, I remember seeing somone posting an image of the QEW (modern-day Gardiner), just as it's approaching the Humber River. I tried the Urban Toronto Forum, but with no luck there. It was from 1972, only a couple years before the rennovation, and the removal of the "Lucky Lion" statue. The picture was facing west.

What I've also been looking for is QEW pics of the Traffic Circle, at Centennial Parkway in Hamilton. I was hoping to find close-ups of the railway overpasses.

In fact I would love to find close-ups of the QEW (circa 1960s and 1970s) for the entire Hamilton-Burlington stretch, if possible. Just thought I'd ask.

I have seen Cameron's site (I am quite a regular visitor). So I hope to find other closeup images of the areas I've described.

Well hopefully someone knows where I may find something. Just a curious highway geek and QEW enthusiast.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton
(Hamilton, Ontario)
Jody Thornton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 05:51 PM   #1354
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Don't like 407 billing? Stay off the highway, owner says
Toronto Star
December 01, 2009

The Conservative government sold the 407 toll road to a private firm for $3.1 billion in 1999. (Nov. 30, 2009)
DAVID COOPER/TORONTO STAR

The 407 toll road has some advice for people who don't like its billing practices or the way it applies provincial laws meant to protect consumers: Don't drive on our highway.

Our column Monday explained how the 407 says anyone who accepts an invoice from it and subsequently drives on the road has entered into an "agreement" to allow it to pursue the driver for the amount, plus annual interest of 26.82 per cent, for up to 15 years.

The 407 says this alleged agreement is allowed under Section 22 of the Ontario Limitations Act, which says companies must start legal action to collect an unpaid debt within two years of issuing the bill, but the time period can be extended by agreement between both parties.

We believe an agreement is a conscious and deliberate decision made by both parties, and so do some prominent lawyers who are familiar with the act. We don't believe sending someone a bill that says they've agreed to allow themselves to be pursued for up to 15 years for an unpaid balance constitutes a legitimate agreement. Neither do the lawyers we've talked to.

We called Steve Spencer, who deals with media for the 407, to ask what legal authority it relies on to assume it need only send a bill to someone who later drives on the toll road to conclude it has a legal agreement to pursue them for 15 years for an unpaid balance.

The conversation was like one from the Mad Hatter's tea party.

"I'm not following (your question) exactly," said Spencer, when we asked about the legal underpinnings of its billing approach.

"So there's the Limitations Act, obviously, and there's an area of the Limitations Act which allows you to, um, you need to obviously, you know, when we send a bill that language is on every single bill."

Huh?

"Clearly, if somebody uses the highway as a video driver only, we don't have an option to sit down and talk with that person, obviously, they're just travelling on our highway. That's why it's on every bill, that's why it's there, it's in bold."

Bull, we said. You have no authority to make such assumptions. How can you say drivers have agreed to this?

"Say you got the bill and you didn't agree to that," said Spencer. "So you pay your bill, so if you didn't agree to that, there would be a perfectly simple choice."

So are you saying drivers shouldn't use the road, if they didn't agree to all terms printed on their bill, we asked.

"Yeah, I guess," replied Spencer. "That's where you're going, right?"

Aren't you telling people the Limitations Act doesn't apply to the 407?

"Not at all," he said. "In fact, this is completely covered under the Limitations Act."

It made our head spin. We can imagine how frustrating it is for people fighting a bill that's padded with huge interest charges.

Stay tuned, victims. We'll sort this out, sooner or later.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old December 3rd, 2009, 05:38 PM   #1355
hkskyline
Hong Kong

You agreed to let 407 waive your rights, right?
Toronto Star
2 December 2009

Wanted: Drivers who knowingly agreed to allow the 407 toll road to pursue them for up to 15 years over an unpaid balance.

We reported Tuesday on the 407's insistence it has an "agreement" with everyone who accepts its invoice and then drives on its road to permit it to chase them for up to 15 years if they don't pay, and charge 26.82 per cent interest, compounded annually.

It sounds like good medicine for deadbeats dodging legitimate toll charges, but hundreds of people have told us about outrageous billing abuses by the 407, which we've documented in previous stories.

Ontario's Limitations Act requires businesses to start legal proceedings to collect on unpaid balances within two years of the bill, but section 22 allows the time period to be extended by up to 15 years if the parties involved agree to it.

Lawyer Graeme Mew, an expert in the Limitations Act, told us Monday that section 22 was intended to apply to businesses that knowingly agreed to extend to the two-year limit, and not individual consumers.

Incredibly, a 407 spokesperson tried to tell us section 22 provides it with authority to send an invoice with terms printed on the back, then conclude the driver who received it has agreed to those terms.

Mew described the 407's interpretation as self-serving and "extremely draconian," adding he didn't think it would survive any court challenge initiated by the province, which has blamed the former Progressive Conservative government for the situation and shown no interest in taking on the 407 again.

Kitchener lawyer Mark Silverthorn, who specializes in helping people with debt problems, sent Star consumer columnist Ellen Roseman an email noting that "the expiry of Ontario's two-year statute of limitations does not extinguish a debt ... (but) merely gives the consumer an affirmative defence" to use in legal proceedings against them.

Since the 407 believes it has agreements with every driver who accepts its invoice and then drives on the road to waive their rights under the Limitations Act, it's got us wondering if there is even one driver out there who is aware they have entered into such an agreement.

If there is, please let us know. We'll be counting, but won't be surprised if we can add them up on our fingers, with a few left over.

Old December 5th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #1356
DrJoe
Registered Idiot

Likes (Received): 8

401 Driving Tour

The 401 is one the busiest highways in the world. It is the main highway of southern Ontario and serves a number of purposes from being an interprovinicial, commuter, tourist and shipping highway.

In red.

Looking at that map...to the left the 401 meetsup with connections to heading to the US. Toronto is centred around the cluster of highways you can see. To the right it meets up with A-20 in Quebec.

These pictures are going form west to east.

Meager beginning/end near the Canadian/US border. Windsor, Ontario.

Town of Lakeshore

Municipality of Chatham-Kent

County of Elgin (just noticed someone is pulled over on the right side, lol)

City of London

County of Middlesex

County of Oxford

Region of Waterloo

City of Cambridge

County of Wellington

Town of Milton

Town of Halton Hills

City of Mississauga

City of Toronto

City of Pickering

Town of Ajax

Town of Whitby

City of Oshawa

Municipality of Clarington

Town of Port Hope

Town of Cobourg

Town of Brighton

City of Belleville

Township of Loyalist

City of Kingston

Count of Leeds & Grenville

City of Brockville

Township of South Stormont

Township of South Glengarry

The 401 then ends going into Quebec where it becomes Autoroute 20 and thats where we'll finish.

A-20

Source of pictures: http://www.onthighways.com/index.html

Last edited by DrJoe; December 6th, 2009 at 03:39 PM.
DrJoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #1357
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3436

it is so funny to si american styled bilingual signs
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 09:40 PM   #1358
Haljackey

Excellent tour! Nice arrangement of pics, shows the highway in very urban and very rural settings.
Old December 6th, 2009, 12:02 AM   #1359
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19352

Quote:
The 401 is one the busiest highways in the world.
I think we can safely say it's THE busiest in the world. The AADT peaks at 425,000. The closest is the I-405 in California at 390,000 Annual Average Daily Traffic. In Europe, the busiest roads are around 300,000 (Spanish M-30, French A4, maybe MKAD) and in Asia the highest is probably on some ten-lane freeway in Beijing or South Korea, I guess around 250,000 AADT. In South America, the highest volumes may be found in Buenos Aires and Sao Paulo. Other freeways on that continent lack capacity to get above 250,000. In Africa, the busiest are probably somewhere in South Africa or Egypt, but again, these are unlikely to top 250,000, same as Australia.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009, 12:35 AM   #1360
Haljackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I think we can safely say it's THE busiest in the world.
I agree with this statement, but just how long will the 401 retain this title? There's crazy traffic in eastern Asia, especially in the larger Chinese cities. Tons of highways are being built and every one becomes clogged with traffic as soon as they open.

As soon as you see a project similar to the I-10's (katy freeway) reconstruction or the 401's collector/express setup in China it will certainly take the crown.

Also, did the opening of the 407 10 years ago affect traffic flow on the 401? I'm sure if it wasn't there traffic volumes would be certainly higher than 425k.
-And if the Gardiner is destroyed, the 401 will become even more crowded.

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto