daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 3rd, 2010, 05:24 AM   #1381
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18144

Concrete is supposed to pose more wear on tires, but it is easier to maintain.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2010, 06:54 AM   #1382
_BPS_
678 999 8212

Likes (Received): 2589

The Islington-Dixie section is congested with tractor-trailers, and they seem to make up the bulk of the traffic. IIRC, this highway is known as the most dangerous in Canada, if not all of N.America.
_BPS_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 12:32 PM   #1383
Schweden
Registered Loser

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
An example of a 2-lane freeway in Canada (in Nova Scotia):

Awesome video.. thanks
Schweden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 05:04 AM   #1384
Trilesy

Likes (Received): 0

U.S. and Canadian Roads suck compared to Western European ?????

I have a question.

If we compare U.S. and Canadian highways to European motorways, don't you feel like North American roads kinda suck. Cracks are everywhere, lack of crash barriers, lots of sections made of concrete blocks (which produce more noise and feel rough), poor quality of asphalt and the list can go on and on.

I agree that the layout and usability of U.S. roads is very good (very logical and easy to understand), but the quality of the pavement is definitely not there. It completely looses the game to it's European counterparts.

I just want to see if there is anybody out there who would disagree with me...
Trilesy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 08:49 AM   #1385
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

I don't think anyone would disagree with you, and it actually has been a big topic of discussion on this forum at an earlier time (there is an older thread that you can try to dig up).

I don't know all the reasons (and not going to get into a detailed discussion as this will lead the thread's topic astray), but the freeways aren't even the worst (actually some parts of Canada's 400-series highways are good in North American standards, though still lacking overall).

In many parts of Canada (for example, in Toronto), the incorrect type of asphalt is used on roads, completely inadequate for our cold and snowy climate. The argument that snowploughs and extreme temperature fluctuations are responsible for the extremely poor (sometimes Third World-standard) city roads are actually not true, since some Europeans countries do get both snowy and cold, but still manage to maintain their roads in much better shape.

I had heard somewhere (don't remember where) that we use asphalt that is only good for warmer climates, because it is cheaper. I guess our lower taxes come at the price of poorer roads (in some European countries it is extremely expensive to own a car because of all the taxes). Though, on the other hand, using higher quality materials may mean less frequent repairs, so it's not a completely clear-cut topic.
Old January 6th, 2010, 12:44 PM   #1386
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

High European taxes doesn't mean all that money is spend on roads or other forms of transportation, not even close. In Europe, cars are just a milking cow.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 07:59 PM   #1387
CptSchmidt
Nova Scotian driver.

Hello everyone. I can't believe that I am only just finding these forums. I'm glad to be part of them. I even see that one of my videos have been posted here

Thank you.

I'll link you guys to the major highways of NS that I've done.

The 101, an intercity highway between HRM (Halifax Regional Municipality) and Windsor. It is the second-most travelled intercity highway in Nova Scotia. This video ends at the point where the dual carriageway ends. Construction is soon to be finished on twinning it, whose development can be seen in part two. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CipLN5Dzko

This segment of the 102 serves as a partial ring around Halifax. The northbound direction beginning at the 118's terminus (shortly after the beginning of this video) serves as Nova Scotia's busiest intercity highway connecting Halifax with Truro and the 104 (TCH). I'm sorry about the sun getting into the lens for much of it, but it's not so bad. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEENNAbj8TY

Rather embarrassingly, I made the video of the entire 102 back in October but neglected to remove the lenscap.

The 107, which has already been linked to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdZVdgyxhc8

The 111 is the most travelled NS highway with volumes that reach up to 63,000 vehicles a day. It is also the widest highway in Atlantic Canada, getting up to 12 lanes. It is a partial ring around Dartmouth. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHbXFrT6DIY

The 118 links Dartmouth to the 102. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KcnHu1gQSM

I hope these are enjoyed.
Old January 8th, 2010, 07:51 AM   #1388
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Heh, I found your video after you commented on one of my videos (I am Kot1234 on Youtube).
Old January 8th, 2010, 08:14 AM   #1389
CptSchmidt
Nova Scotian driver.

Small world, even on the internet .
Old January 10th, 2010, 09:20 AM   #1390
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by _BPS_ View Post
The Islington-Dixie section is congested with tractor-trailers, and they seem to make up the bulk of the traffic. IIRC, this highway is known as the most dangerous in Canada, if not all of N.America.
That segment of the 401 between Islington to just east of Dixie is where there are no through collector lanes. They've widened that segment by one lane, but it doesn't offer much help at rush hour. I'm pretty sure it's been identified as a bottleneck in the highway system that unfortunately would take an obscene amount of money to remedy.

I've used the 409 as an alternate to that section of the 401, but with the roadwork being done on it, it sometimes isn't much better than the 401. I think the reason trucks don't really use it as an alternative staying on the 401 instead is the tight turns involved in getting on and off the connecting 427. There will often be a story at least twice a year of a truck going through the guardrails from the 401E to 427N and the cab will be dangling forcing the closure of the 401 below.

The Islington-Dixie corridor is also home to the bulk of companies which ship through Pearson, so of course there will be a lot of truck traffic through that section. Goods come in through Pearson, get sent to their nearby warehouses for processing and then the trucks deliver them to the customer.

Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2010, 03:06 PM   #1391
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Calgary, Alberta.

Memorial Drive. I always like the combination of a railway running in the median, or next to a freeway.

My monitor allows for large resolutions. Here are some Google Earth pics.

Toronto:
[IMG]http://i46.************/2gv7exg.jpg[/IMG]

Vancouver:
[IMG]http://i46.************/wcmse9.jpg[/IMG]

Montreal:
[IMG]http://i49.************/de02yt.jpg[/IMG]

Winnipeg:
[IMG]http://i46.************/9gxct3.jpg[/IMG]

Edmonton:
[IMG]http://i49.************/n19ydk.jpg[/IMG]

Calgary:
[IMG]http://i46.************/f0tdo3.jpg[/IMG]
Old January 26th, 2010, 10:16 AM   #1392
CptSchmidt
Nova Scotian driver.

Nice shots, Chris. You left out Halifax :P.

I took the liberty to make one myself.

Yellow = divided highway (the 107 is the only non-divided highway on this map)
Pink = trunk road (denoted by shield and single-digit number) or NS Route.

Old February 1st, 2010, 06:15 AM   #1393
Penhorn
alps @ SSP

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSchmidt View Post
Nice shots, Chris. You left out Halifax :P.

I took the liberty to make one myself.

Yellow = divided highway (the 107 is the only non-divided highway on this map)
Pink = trunk road (denoted by shield and single-digit number) or NS Route.
Nice map...I have commented on your Youtube videos in the past - I seem to run into the same Halifax people everywhere on the internet Here's a silly map I made a while ago with just the 100-series roads plus routes 32 and 33 which aren't redundant unlike the trunk roads.

The 118 isn't true to RL, I messed it up a bit so I could show it connecting to the 102, but gave up on that so it's a bit wonky.
Penhorn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 06:21 AM   #1394
CptSchmidt
Nova Scotian driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penhorn View Post
Nice map...I have commented on your Youtube videos in the past - I seem to run into the same Halifax people everywhere on the internet Here's a silly map I made a while ago with just the 100-series roads plus routes 32 and 33 which aren't redundant unlike the trunk roads.

The 118 isn't true to RL, I messed it up a bit so I could show it connecting to the 102, but gave up on that so it's a bit wonky.

Have you? What's your YouTube name?

Nice map, by the way.

What have you heard on the 107 extension to the 101? That's been in planning for ever, and it's even been given the green light, yet nothing seems to be happening. And what of the 113? It's still in discussion, but it's getting a lot flack from Hammonds Plains residents because they're 'concerned' it will open their communities up to further development, which is no reason to stop anything in my opinion. It's really sad, actually.

There's so much to be done yet all that seems to be accomplished is complaining...
Old February 1st, 2010, 06:47 AM   #1395
Penhorn
alps @ SSP

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Have you? What's your YouTube name?

Nice map, by the way.

What have you heard on the 107 extension to the 101? That's been in planning for ever, and it's even been given the green light, yet nothing seems to be happening. And what of the 113? It's still in discussion, but it's getting a lot flack from Hammonds Plains residents because they're 'concerned' it will open their communities up to further development, which is no reason to stop anything in my opinion. It's really sad, actually.

There's so much to be done yet all that seems to be accomplished is complaining...
I'm Bencentre on Youtube - actually, I came across you on Facebook too. You posted on a friend's page and I looked at your profile because you have the same name as my friend's dad, and I saw the link to Youtube...creepily small world

The 113 is still in the proposal stage and they had a public feedback event earlier this week on the environmental assessment that was done. I'm not a huge fan of the 113...I don't think it's necessary now and I don't think it's money well spent at this point in time ($30-50 million I have heard). I was under the impression that Kingswood residents supported it since it would alleviate thru traffic on the 213. Not a big fan of that type of suburban development either. Anywho, they have already roughed-in an access road to the highway from route 3, so I guess they're banking that it'll be approved.

As for the 107 plans, the first stage has it as a road connecting Burnside Drive to the south end of Duke Street (in the Bedford Industrial Park) and eventually it'll be turned into a proper freeway, with the Duke/107 intersection being bypassed and the highway connecting directly to the 102 (rather than the 101) as such:

If you look at an aerial view, you can see that there's already an overpass on Duke behind the Wal-Mart under which the slip road from the 102 will pass...it was built in the 90s, I think, but I guess the plan is still current.
Penhorn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 05:00 PM   #1396
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18144

Study shows road travel is slower
7 January 2010
Guelph Mercury

It's not your imagination: It really is taking longer to travel the same distance in the Toronto region.

A 2008 study by the province shows it took almost twice as long to traverse some stretches of the 400-series highways than it did two years earlier.

The Ministry of Transportation Travel Times study, which is updated every two years with data gathered on highways and arterial roads in Toronto, York, Peel and Durham Regions, is before Toronto's Planning and Growth Management Committee on Wednesday.

Of the 462 segments of highway studied, 151 showed that travel times had slowed between 2006 and 2008.

The slowest 400-series highway speeds in the Toronto area are on the 404 and the 400, especially Highway 404 southbound from 16th Avenue to the 401.

Among the 10 worst morning commutes is eastbound Highway 401 between Dixie and Mississauga roads, where the mean speed dropped to 50 km/h in 2008 from 95 km/h in 2006 in the collector lanes.

Highway 410 between Bovaird Drive and Highway 403 offered an equally frustrating morning commute, with the average speed dropping in the southbound lanes from 71 km/h in 2006 to 38 km/h in 2008.

The study also showed that generally commuters need to factor in extra time for congestion if they want to get to work on time.

An average trip in 2008 could be expected to take 13 to 24 per cent longer than the same trip in 2002, according to the study.

One slice of good news for motorists is that high-occupancy vehicle lanes appear to be reducing travel times on Highways 403, 404 and 401.

On the eastbound 403, high-occupancy vehicle lane users between Winston Churchill Boulevard in Mississauga and Highway 401 average a trip six minutes faster than commuters in the regular lanes.

Weekend speeds are still much faster on the roads under study and the report suggests that there's enough highway capacity to have longer lane closures on weekends for road construction, upgrades and maintenance.

The study also shows that getting around York Region is easier than travelling in Peel and Toronto during rush hours. Durham still has the best travel times on its arterial roads.

A 2004 file photo of traffic moving along Highway 401 from the Speedville overpass looking east. A new Ministry of Transport study shows that traffic on many of the 400-series highways is taking longer now than it did two years ago.

Robert Wilson, Mercury news services

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 11:05 PM   #1397
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

I don't see why this would be a shock to anyone... Toronto's a growing city and thus has huge transport needs. If new routes aren't built and existing routes aren't upgraded constantly you're going to get heavier traffic and gridlock down the line.

This, along with the huge lack of public transportation additions and enhancements has led to the freeways choking with traffic more and more. This situation kind of reminds me of LA's traffic woes.
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 05:23 AM   #1398
CptSchmidt
Nova Scotian driver.

I'd like to see further expansion and upgrade of the Go-Train's lines and trains. Toronto needs to put more into its public transport.
Old February 9th, 2010, 10:07 AM   #1399
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Toronto's freeway network is not dense enough. There are only two freeways that serve the downtown area, plus a surrounding area of 30 by 10 kilometers! That is why the existing freeways are saturated, due to the lack of alternate routes.
Old February 10th, 2010, 04:47 AM   #1400
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
I'd like to see further expansion and upgrade of the Go-Train's lines and trains. Toronto needs to put more into its public transport.
Agreed , the 401 Traffic during my Vacation made me want to explode , it was ridiculous and the Transit options weren't any better , unfortunately in North America we have stupid car culture , but the tide is turning on that in most of the Northeast & Quebec with new Rail routes and transit in almost every major city , but Toronto has no excuse not to have a good network, espically with there population, even Dallas & Portland has a larger networks then you guys.

~Corey
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto