daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 16th, 2010, 07:35 AM   #1481
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Thoughts?
As long as I can read the sign and figure out what the diagrams mean, then I don't really care one way or another.
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2010, 03:57 PM   #1482
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
I never did like the crown on the westbound 403 (Hamilton/Brantford) which is used on some of the newer signs. Strangely they switched it back when they put up the Clearview signs. I don't know, they're kinda boxy and just look "wrong" compared to the more rounded (more like a slice of bread ) older crowns.

As for Clearview vs. Highway Gothic, personally I don't really notice a difference in legibility. I notice the difference in fonts, but they both read clearly.
All of the wrong crowns that I have noticed seem to have gone up on or around the 407. I have wondered if an independent contractor was used to manufacture the signs, and just didn't get the shape right.
Old May 17th, 2010, 01:19 AM   #1483
CptSchmidt
Nova Scotian driver.

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
This is an old thread -- but it occurs to me that Halifax has quite a substantial freeway network for a city of its size. If I am not mistaken, Halifax is about the same size as London Ontario (sorry, Ontario is my frame of reference), and London doesn't have have the roads that Halifax does.
I've never been to London so I can't really say. Population-wise it's similar, but as far as its spread and layout, I don't know.

Quote:
I went to Halifax for a couple of days back in 2006. It was really foggy the entire time I was there, otherwise I would have been photographing away as per usual. Shame.
Strange. Rarely is it ever so foggy in the city that it ruins everything. That's really too bad. The fog usually lingers around in Eastern Passage, along the Eastern Shore and in spots along Highway 102.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartolo View Post
It does have a rather large network for its size. I think a large reason is because it is very spread out and also because of where it is located, around a bay.
The HRM is quite spread out, but our commute times are comparable to every other major city in Canada. The road network is very well planned out and is still being developed. The only HRM 100-series highway that isn't a separated 4x4 is the 107, unfortunately, and it's one of the most travelled. Everyone who commutes to Halifax or Dartmouth who lives on the Eastern Shore uses it, so twinning it would be very beneficial.

The 107 is being extended to connect with the 101, but I think it would be much better served to continue from Musquodoboit to Antigonish. Eastern NS really could use a direct high-speed route, opening it up for business and tourism.
Old May 17th, 2010, 09:19 AM   #1484
Haljackey

This picture is going for a featured picture:

Full size here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...eston_Road.jpg

Featured picture candidate page here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...ollector_Lanes

Last edited by Haljackey; May 18th, 2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old May 18th, 2010, 04:05 AM   #1485
sonysnob

^ Hal, why that image? To me, there are way better photos already on wikipedia, this for example, to me, is a much cooler image:

^ Unless you live at the specific Yonge Street apartment, or know the person who does, you can't duplicate this.

The Weston Road image, while quite sharp could very easily be bested -- all it would take is someone with a decent SLR and a bright sunny day.

I don't mean to be difficult, just my two cents.
Old May 18th, 2010, 06:32 AM   #1486
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
All of the wrong crowns that I have noticed seem to have gone up on or around the 407. I have wondered if an independent contractor was used to manufacture the signs, and just didn't get the shape right.
The "wrong" crowns can also be seen on the eastbound Gardiner advanced signage for Hwy. 2 at Lake Shore Blvd. even though that segment of Hwy. 2 was downloaded by the Mike Harris government in the mid-90's, so it shouldn't even have a crown. The "wrong" crown also makes an appearance at the Lake Shore exit in the westbound lanes.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 07:11 AM   #1487
Haljackey

Quote:
^ Hal, why that image? To me, there are way better photos already on wikipedia, this for example, to me, is a much cooler image:

^ Unless you live at the specific Yonge Street apartment, or know the person who does, you can't duplicate this.

The Weston Road image, while quite sharp could very easily be bested -- all it would take is someone with a decent SLR and a bright sunny day.

I don't mean to be difficult, just my two cents.
No, you're not being difficult at all! Both the nominated and night pic are great contenders.

I like the one in the collectors because it puts you right in the driver's seat, allowing for the sheer size of the highway to grasp the average viewer's mind.

I'm sure that night pic could definitely be a contender in the future... it probably won't make it right now because there have been a lot of "night themed" pics displayed on the featured pictures recently.

That pic is also originally from Flickr, and I'm not sure if they can be featured...

Last edited by Haljackey; May 18th, 2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old May 18th, 2010, 10:09 PM   #1488
Haljackey

Ok that picture is now out of the running. The night shot has replaced it.
Old May 19th, 2010, 03:06 AM   #1489
sonysnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
The "wrong" crowns can also be seen on the eastbound Gardiner advanced signage for Hwy. 2 at Lake Shore Blvd. even though that segment of Hwy. 2 was downloaded by the Mike Harris government in the mid-90's, so it shouldn't even have a crown. The "wrong" crown also makes an appearance at the Lake Shore exit in the westbound lanes.
What's even more wierd is that those signs were erected after the QEW was transferred to Toronto. I wonder if either the sign manufacturer didn't understand the change, or the city was just intent on keeping Highway 2 signed.

Both Kingston Road and the Danforth were littered with Highway 2 and Highway 5 signs respectively until up to a couple of years ago.

Cheers.
Old May 19th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #1490
CptSchmidt
Nova Scotian driver.

Here is all of NS 118 inbound into Dartmouth. It begins heading north on the 102 from Fall River.

Old May 20th, 2010, 06:38 AM   #1491
CptSchmidt
Nova Scotian driver.

Sorry about the double post, but I really wanted to share this...

I was 'driving' around the Dempster Highway in Yukon when I found this...

http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8&ll=68...341.68,,0,6.49

Google Car meets Google Car in the middle of absolutely nowhere.
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:41 PM   #1492
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

I saw that too. That was when they got to Inuvik and the end of the road. The first car has just turned around on a dead end "street". Wonder if they were looking for the start of the ice road to Tuktoyuktuk (Tuk) for short.
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 08:03 PM   #1493
Haljackey

Here's a pretty informative video of Highway 401 in West Toronto that was just made.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltcme5qIL9s
Old May 21st, 2010, 01:27 AM   #1494
sonysnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
Here's a pretty informative video of Highway 401 in West Toronto that was just made.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltcme5qIL9s
Collectors to Mississauga Road by 2012?? I wish. Collectors to Mississauga Road by 2020 is far more likely.

The current contract only extends the lanes to just east of the McLaughlin Road overpass.
Old May 21st, 2010, 09:14 AM   #1495
Haljackey

Thought so. I think it's going just west of Hurontario Street by 2011 and finish at LcLaughin Road in 2012. I agree that 2020 is a good estimate to extend the collector / express system to Mississauga Road.

This EA also shows that the two collector / Express systems along the 401 may be linked. I'm going to assume the 2020's for this one.
-Link: http://www.mmm.ca/projects/Prodetail...Hwy%20401%20EA
Old May 21st, 2010, 10:07 AM   #1496
Smelser

Likes (Received): 4

Additional Images and Renderings

Premier Gordon Campbell's Announcement
Source: Glenn Baglo from the Vancouver Sun

Premier Gordon Campbell

Existing Port Mann

Well, British Columbia's powerful Premier certainly looks proud and authoritarian in these pictures. But according to Bill Tieleman, he's now an ex-Premier.

http://billtieleman.blogspot.com/201...itical-ex.html
Smelser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 01:20 PM   #1497
sonysnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
Thought so. I think it's going just west of Hurontario Street by 2011 and finish at LcLaughin Road in 2012. I agree that 2020 is a good estimate to extend the collector / express system to Mississauga Road.

This EA also shows that the two collector / Express systems along the 401 may be linked. I'm going to assume the 2020's for this one.
-Link: http://www.mmm.ca/projects/Prodetail...Hwy%20401%20EA
I have a feeling, though I could be wrong, that that study occurred several years in the past, and actually dealt with adding the extra lane between Kipling and the 427 that opened back in '01. The text is written in a way that suggests that the study has already been completed.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 12:58 AM   #1498
sonysnob

I think ChrisZwolle touched on this before, but it is a shame we don't see more stuff from the West Coast. Calgary for instance is building like crazy, yet on this forum at least, we see almost no photos from highways out west. If I lived out there, I'd be all over the roads there.

Just a thought.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 04:47 PM   #1499
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
I think ChrisZwolle touched on this before, but it is a shame we don't see more stuff from the West Coast. Calgary for instance is building like crazy, yet on this forum at least, we see almost no photos from highways out west. If I lived out there, I'd be all over the roads there.

Just a thought.
My earlier post (See below) is the farthest west I've seen. If the weather clears off, I want to go get some more pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf View Post
Went for a drive today and got some pics of the Trans Canada Highway at the east end of Kamloops. The highway is not motorway here, though there are some grade separated intersections.

The pic is on the dark side, because of the clouds.

Near the city limit, which is 3 KM down the highway at the HWY 1/97 junction.
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 07:00 AM   #1500
CptSchmidt
Nova Scotian driver.

Is it just me or does it seem like this thread is more like the 'Ontario 401' thread?

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto