daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 24th, 2010, 10:27 PM   #1501
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSchmidt View Post
Is it just me or does it seem like this thread is more like the 'Ontario 401' thread?
No that one I believe already exists: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=496221 It kinda died out in 2008 and has sunk down in the thread listings. I'm surprised at how little coverage of the Québec Autoroute system here. We get sporadic hits from BC and the Prairies and the Maritimes on top of the steady stream of Ontario topics.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2010, 02:33 AM   #1502
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Is it just me or does it seem like this thread is more like the 'Ontario 401' thread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
No that one I believe already exists: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=496221 It kinda died out in 2008 and has sunk down in the thread listings. I'm surprised at how little coverage of the Québec Autoroute system here. We get sporadic hits from BC and the Prairies and the Maritimes on top of the steady stream of Ontario topics.

Don't forget about this one:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...ntario+freeway

I actually think all Canadian highway threads should be merged into this one.

That would avoid clutter, make it easy to find everything in one place, and keep threads from dying.
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 01:42 AM   #1503
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

I am not sure if this is really relevant given the broadness of this forum, but I wish to mention it anyways.

The old Trenton Railway truss bridge on Highway 2 will be dismantled starting next week (May 31/10). The truss bridge is being replaced by a modern concrete beam bridge on a new alignment(!). While just a county highway now, the demolition of the truss bridge is significant given that it was built to serve intercity traffic at a time when Highway 2 was still the trunk route between Toronto and Montreal

Some pics of the old structure (from thekingshighway.ca):

Old May 26th, 2010, 05:58 AM   #1504
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
Don't forget about this one:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...ntario+freeway

I actually think all Canadian highway threads should be merged into this one.

That would avoid clutter, make it easy to find everything in one place, and keep threads from dying.
I don't know about consolidating all of the various subnational Canada highway threads. It seems that most of the discussion is on Ontario highways. Either it's due to the people who view and contribute to the thread or simply because there is more interest in Ontario highways. Perhaps combining the Ontario Highways and Ontario Freeways together might be better?
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 06:25 AM   #1505
Haljackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
I don't know about consolidating all of the various subnational Canada highway threads. It seems that most of the discussion is on Ontario highways. Either it's due to the people who view and contribute to the thread or simply because there is more interest in Ontario highways. Perhaps combining the Ontario Highways and Ontario Freeways together might be better?
Whatever works to be honest. I don't think it's fair for Canada to have so many threads here while much more populated countries only have one or two threads. Take the US (interstate and non interstate threads) or China (one thread) for example.

I think it makes the most sense to combine all threads into one. If that put's the emphasis on Ontario, then so be it. That just highlights the need that more content from the rest of Canada is needed.
Old May 26th, 2010, 07:37 AM   #1506
Penhorn
alps @ SSP

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
I, for one, think that this is a great idea. Roundabouts keep things moving in cities while intersections clog things up. With Halifax's peak hours congestion on Robie and Quinpool, I think this is a great idea.

http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/loca...outs-tentative
The Willow Tree proposal is terrible. Look at where the crossings have been relocated -- I have crossed this intersection daily for the past 4 years and somehow the prospect of having to walk an extra 80 metres to crosswalks at which the cars are not even forced to come to a stop isn't too appealing to me. It's a step in the wrong direction. Roundabouts of this magnitude are for suburban areas, not the city centre.

The other proposals look more reasonable if not a bit unnecessary -- I can think of a multitude of ways in which the money would be better spent round here (such as the long-delayed Quinpool Road streetscape project)..

Diagrams of all planned roundabouts
Penhorn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #1507
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Whatever works to be honest. I don't think it's fair for Canada to have so many threads here while much more populated countries only have one or two threads. Take the US (interstate and non interstate threads) or China (one thread) for example.

I think it makes the most sense to combine all threads into one. If that put's the emphasis on Ontario, then so be it. That just highlights the need that more content from the rest of Canada is needed.
If a non-Canadian can put in his two cents on the matter, I didn't know there was more than one Canadian thread. Which is probably an argument for merging them.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 05:18 PM   #1508
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

I can merge them into one Canadian thread if you guys think it's a good idea. I gotta say the older threads are barely active. (that's why regionalisation of threads is usually a futile attempt).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 06:01 PM   #1509
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I can merge them into one Canadian thread if you guys think it's a good idea. I gotta say the older threads are barely active. (that's why regionalisation of threads is usually a futile attempt).
Or alternatively make sure they're all in the thread-finder (For that matter, I haven't looked at it lately, but are the US Interstate, "US Non-Interstate" and California threads all there?)
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 06:48 PM   #1510
Haljackey

Quote:
I support this.

Penn's Woods' comment further strengthens the reason to do so. It's simply easier to find all the Canadian content in one thread.
Old May 26th, 2010, 07:11 PM   #1511
CptSchmidt
Nova Scotian driver.

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penhorn View Post
The Willow Tree proposal is terrible. Look at where the crossings have been relocated -- I have crossed this intersection daily for the past 4 years and somehow the prospect of having to walk an extra 80 metres to crosswalks at which the cars are not even forced to come to a stop isn't too appealing to me. It's a step in the wrong direction. Roundabouts of this magnitude are for suburban areas, not the city centre.

The other proposals look more reasonable if not a bit unnecessary -- I can think of a multitude of ways in which the money would be better spent round here (such as the long-delayed Quinpool Road streetscape project)..

Diagrams of all planned roundabouts
I don't agree. If by the Willlow Tree proposal you mean the Quinpool/Robie intersection, then I have to say that that is probably the most important one they do. If they do any of them, that would be the best. I don't know what time of day you cross that street, but I'm sure that you've seen just how backed up it can be during peak hours. I would argue that it's because of that intersection that Quinpool and Robie get as backed up as they do.

It can take more than ten minutes to get from University to Quinpool in evening rush hour and just as long to get from North or Cunard to Quinpool in the morning. It's ridiculous. A traffic circle would alleviate much of this problem as the traffic is always moving. A big factor in the waiting time and backed up traffic, too, are cars waiting to turn left onto Bell and Quinpool. A total of five lanes of through-traffic are held up for these two turning lanes. And, because of the amount of traffic backed up and waiting to turn, the turning signal is longer than most HRM turning lights.

And, don't forget, that the lack of a left turn lane from Quinpool to Robie adds a lot of unnecessary traffic to side streets - people looking for a way to get onto Robie. The only way to do that right now is to take Oxford to either Jubilee or Cunard, through residential areas. You can't turn left onto Robie from North, either. It's inefficient and causes clutter.

A traffic circle would solve this.

I also think that making use of traffic circles would be a uniquely Halifax thing in Canada, which would be fun. It could even serve as a model for developing cities in the country once the positive effects are analysed and studied.

The pedestrian problem could easily be solved by under or overpasses. An overpass would be less expensive while an underpass would be more aesthetic, but both are very doable.

I think the other proposals are all great ideas and should be implemented.

My only concern is the loss of the trees on the edge of the Commons at the Quinpool/Robie intersection. In order for Cogswell Street to be properly added to the circle, a corner of the Commons will have to be carved off as far back as the baseball diamond. I don't have a big problem with shaving off a piece of the Commons (if the Cunard/Agricola circle is implemented, the Commons will have more grounds added across from the Armoury) to make this work, but I'd like to see those big old trees replanted or just moved back to where the new Commons' edge will be.

As for the Quinpool Streetscape Project, the traffic circle could play a big part in its aesthetics and functionality. What good is a beautiful street if it's clogged with idling cars half the day?

Last edited by CptSchmidt; May 26th, 2010 at 07:18 PM.
CptSchmidt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 02:15 AM   #1512
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

I know that there is a thread dedicated specifically to the Province of Ontario, but I feel it should be merged with the Canadian thread. Until a province separates from Canada, to become it' s own nation, I don't think we need a thread for Ontario.
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #1513
Haljackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf View Post
I know that there is a thread dedicated specifically to the Province of Ontario, but I feel it should be merged with the Canadian thread. Until a province separates from Canada, to become it' s own nation, I don't think we need a thread for Ontario.
Exactly what I think. Most countries here have only one thread, so I think it's best for all Canadian ones to be merged into this one.

ChrisZwolle, you said you could merge them. If this was done, would the older threads simply be stacked ontop of this one or would it be reordered by post date? (Either way is ok I guess.)
Old May 27th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #1514
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

The posts will be ordered according to post date. So there may be some messing up in the older pages. However, I doubt if many people read those. Maybe find them via Google.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 09:09 PM   #1515
Haljackey

Quote:
The posts will be ordered according to post date. So there may be some messing up in the older pages. However, I doubt if many people read those. Maybe find them via Google.
Yeah either google searches or people scrolling the pages.

I think having them ordered by post count is much better than just clumping them together somewhere. Does anyone object this or do we have the green light to go ahead with it?
Old May 31st, 2010, 07:52 PM   #1516
Haljackey

Here's something new:

Ontario now uses florescent orange lane markings in construction zones along the 400-series and other major highways. I believe the first major use of this was last year. It has received a ton of positive feedback from motorists and construction workers alike, because it makes drivers more aware that they are in a construction zone, making it safer.

Ontario is the first place in North America to use this. It is used all over Europe, however some countries use yellow markings instead.

Also, are we all in agreement with merging all Canadian highway threads into this one?
Old June 1st, 2010, 02:20 AM   #1517
CptSchmidt
Nova Scotian driver.

Quote:
Ontario now uses florescent orange lane markings in construction zones along the 400-series and other major highways. I believe the first major use of this was last year. It has received a ton of positive feedback from motorists and construction workers alike, because it makes drivers more aware that they are in a construction zone, making it safer.

Ontario is the first place in North America to use this. It is used all over Europe, however some countries use yellow markings instead.
I think it's a huge waste of time and money. Pylons do the same thing, as do temporary reflective lane markers. With the Ontario government going about how it doesn't have enough money to do anything anymore and all this recession bogus, I think the money spent on painting the road, removing the paint and repainting it properly is wasteful and could be better spent elsewhere.

Quote:
Also, are we all in agreement with merging all Canadian highway threads into this one?
I'm not. The reason I asked if this thread seemed like the 401 thread was because it seems like that's all this thread is about. There are more roads in Canada than the 401 and 400 series highways.
Old June 1st, 2010, 02:51 AM   #1518
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
I'm not. The reason I asked if this thread seemed like the 401 thread was because it seems like that's all this thread is about. There are more roads in Canada than the 401 and 400 series highways.
Not trying to sound like a d!ck, but the 401 gets as much attention as it does because one in three Canadian's lives near it. I have been on road forums for almost six years between Ontroads and Canroads, and they have always had a bit of Ontario-centricity, simply because that's where the most members lived.

That said, I'd love to see more discussion from other areas, I just can't partake in it as much, as I am from Ontario and the bulk of my travel is within Ontario. I wouldn't change the status quo either.
Old June 1st, 2010, 05:38 AM   #1519
Haljackey

Quote:
I think it's a huge waste of time and money. Pylons do the same thing, as do temporary reflective lane markers. With the Ontario government going about how it doesn't have enough money to do anything anymore and all this recession bogus, I think the money spent on painting the road, removing the paint and repainting it properly is wasteful and could be better spent elsewhere.
I don't know much about Ontario's budget situation, but I guess safety comes first. I'm not sure how hard it is to remove the paint but judging that they're used in construction zones, they could just simply be paved over a lot of the time.

Quote:
Well that means an emphasis needs to be put on highways elsewhere in the country. sonysnob also makes a good point that the 400-series get a lot of attention due to their proximity to populated areas and the 401 because it is one of the widest and busiest roads in the world.

Just my opinion, but I hope you see my point.
Old June 1st, 2010, 06:59 AM   #1520
CptSchmidt
Nova Scotian driver.

Quote:
I don't know much about Ontario's budget situation, but I guess safety comes first. I'm not sure how hard it is to remove the paint but judging that they're used in construction zones, they could just simply be paved over a lot of the time.
Yeah, they probably could just pave over some of them. But in the picture it looks more like the lines were painted in area a little before the construction. I see what you're saying, I just think it's extra work that takes up an unnecessary amount of time and money. I don't know how much safer it is, I haven't seen any numbers or statistics between temporary markers or construction paint, but I'm thinking it's probably about the same. People are generally more cautious in construction zones, anyway, and people also tend to drive much slower. I'm not sure about the rest of Canada, but in NS speed fines are doubled in construction zones and it's heavily enforced.

Quote:
Well that means an emphasis needs to be put on highways elsewhere in the country. sonysnob also makes a good point that the 400-series get a lot of attention due to their proximity to populated areas and the 401 because it is one of the widest and busiest roads in the world.

Just my opinion, but I hope you see my point.
Probably right - I see exactly what you're saying. If more people want everything merged, it doesn't make much difference to me. My fear is that the rest of Canada will be drowned out.

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto