daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 1st, 2010, 04:05 PM   #1521
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSchmidt View Post
Yeah, they probably could just pave over some of them. But in the picture it looks more like the lines were painted in area a little before the construction. I see what you're saying, I just think it's extra work that takes up an unnecessary amount of time and money. I don't know how much safer it is, I haven't seen any numbers or statistics between temporary markers or construction paint, but I'm thinking it's probably about the same. People are generally more cautious in construction zones, anyway, and people also tend to drive much slower. I'm not sure about the rest of Canada, but in NS speed fines are doubled in construction zones and it's heavily enforced.
I don't think there's much cost difference compared to past practice, which was to simply use the regular white and yellow lines which would then weave around the construction site. In fact, using just the orange would save on having to use two colours! The same costs are involved in removing the temporary lines restoring the original ones. The orange lines are also another visual reminder that you're in a construction zone in case the signage and works crews don't tip you off.

Using pylons is a cheap alterative for simple construction situations. I don't think they'd work in redirecting multiple lanes of traffic around a construction zone, hence the repainted lines. On-street use of pylons around construction also sometimes causes some confusion depending on the spacing of the pylons. I've seen some drivers drive in between some of the wider spaced pylons into the work zone not realizing that it's been closed off to traffic because of construction.

In construction zones on the highway speeds are usually signed for 20 km/h less than the regular speed and fines are doubled for speeding when workers are present. I don't know how well-enforced that rule is as I never see any cops. But then again, when workers are around, it's usually the busier time of the day and the sheer volume of traffic passing through the construction bottleneck automatically lowers the average traffic speed.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2010, 05:50 PM   #1522
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

From what I have read, the new orange markings have been a huge success. I can grab some links for you sometime if you're interested. I know pylons, barriers and whatnot work to make drivers aware they're in a construction zone, but the orange lane markings are just one further thing to increase their awareness and thus increase the overall safety of the workers and the drivers.

Not long ago, I drove on the 401 between Woodstock and Kitchener which is being widened from four to six lanes. Here the speed limit was 20km below but orange markings were not used. Everyone was at least doing 110-115 instead of 80. I would assume the orange markings weren't used here because this widening project was ongoing before they were introduced... maybe only newer projects use them.

If your fear that the rest of Canada will be drowned out if all Canadian threads were merged with this one, like I said that means there is a need for more photos from around the country. However this isn't atypical, a lot of the national highway threads concentrate on specific areas in the country. You're from NS, and I'd love to see more photos from around there.

I'm also really jealous of Halifax living in London. You guys have so many highways to serve local and longer distance traffic. London is a larger city and yet we have 0 highways for local use and only 1 for long distance (the 401) which completely bypasses the urbanized area. Yes I know the 402 is also in the city limits but it branches out in rural farmland several kilometers away from any developments. Traffic in London is a stop and go grid network and snarled due to a lack of a local highway. You can thank our politicians for that one.
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 06:18 PM   #1523
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

If there are no objections I'm gonna merge the Canadian threads into one around 18:00 UTC.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 06:43 PM   #1524
supersvt

Likes (Received): 0

I think the orange paint does bring an awareness that makes motorists pay more attention to the construction zones. The only problem I notice, especially on the 401 near the Hoggs Hollow bridge is that they fix one side, pave it, paint new orange lines. They then move to the other side, pave it and then they have to scratch out the old construction lines and paint the new white lines. This absolutely ruins the look of the new road. All you see is line scratches all along the highway criss crossing between traffic lanes. It looks really bad. Another example is highway 409 to Pearson airport. Really looks like a second rate job.
supersvt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 06:04 PM   #1525
Haljackey

Nice job with the merger! Who would known the amount of views would more than tipple? That's crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersvt View Post
I think the orange paint does bring an awareness that makes motorists pay more attention to the construction zones. The only problem I notice, especially on the 401 near the Hoggs Hollow bridge is that they fix one side, pave it, paint new orange lines. They then move to the other side, pave it and then they have to scratch out the old construction lines and paint the new white lines. This absolutely ruins the look of the new road. All you see is line scratches all along the highway criss crossing between traffic lanes. It looks really bad. Another example is highway 409 to Pearson airport. Really looks like a second rate job.
I guess you need to weigh the pros with the cons. Still, a lot of this would happen in construction zones regardless of the colour of paint used...

I guess the best way to do it is make road resurfacing last on the project list so you can simply pave over those lines.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 02:28 AM   #1526
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
Nice job with the merger! Who would known the amount of views would more than tipple? That's crazy!

I guess you need to weigh the pros with the cons. Still, a lot of this would happen in construction zones regardless of the colour of paint used...

I guess the best way to do it is make road resurfacing last on the project list so you can simply pave over those lines.
It's actually painted to the road surface? If it was in BC, the crew would just use reflective tape. At least then, you could peel it off the road.
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 03:21 AM   #1527
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf View Post
It's actually painted to the road surface? If it was in BC, the crew would just use reflective tape. At least then, you could peel it off the road.
We used to see that a lot in Ontario, but MTO has been getting away from it lately. In Ontario, it tended not to hold up, and once it had peeled off, didn't do much to assert where the lanes were within the construction zone.

Ontario has recently begun experimenting with new exit lane marking at forced off exits. Unfortunately I don't have photos, but they are similar to what is done in Quebec, and use zone striping and fancy painted arrows to delineate a forced exit.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 09:31 PM   #1528
Haljackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
^ Hal, why that image? To me, there are way better photos already on wikipedia, this for example, to me, is a much cooler image:

^ Unless you live at the specific Yonge Street apartment, or know the person who does, you can't duplicate this.

The Weston Road image, while quite sharp could very easily be bested -- all it would take is someone with a decent SLR and a bright sunny day.

I don't mean to be difficult, just my two cents.
That one has been withdrawn now.

One last try for a featured picture. Third time's a charm!

This photo shows the same stretch as that night pic, but was taken during the Toronto propane explosion, when part of the highway was closed as a safety concern due to the highway's proximity to the main blasts.

This image also does an excellent job displaying the collector / express system used along Highway 401's widest and busiest sections. It's deserted state reminds me of the wide, deserted roads in North Korea. The only difference is that Highway 401 is normally clogged with traffic. This picture is truly an anomaly.

There are currently three versions in the running.

Grayscale:

Colour:

Colour Edit:

Voice your opinion and support the photo's candidacy HERE! (You don't have to be a member to vote, but it does add more weight to your vote.)

I like the grayscale one the best because it gives the image a suitable look at the empty section during the serious event, making it more appealing to the eye than in colour. However most seem to like the colour versions better.

Just thought I may as well throw it out there.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 09:35 PM   #1529
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I can't believe those explosions were already 2 years ago, I remember it like yesterday.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 08:34 AM   #1530
Haljackey

This highway almost looks like a rollercoaster.

Old June 5th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #1531
sonysnob

I have one like that:

Old June 5th, 2010, 07:58 PM   #1532
sonysnob

Nova Scotia (TCH-104):

I have put together a little page for Nova Scotia Road 104. It's probably a little ignorant, and the photos aren't fantastic or anything, but I don't want to see other provinces get ignored on the interweb either: http://www.canhighways.com/NS/TCH/index.html

Cheers
Old June 6th, 2010, 06:34 PM   #1533
Haljackey

Here's a drawing I made a while ago envisioning a collector / express system along Highway 401 in the London Area. This is a long-term vision.

It's pretty rough (made in paint) and is not drawn to scale in any way, shape or form.

In addition, the interchanges are spaced much further apart and the overpassing roads are at different angles in RL.

Click here for full size if it doesn't display correctly.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy it, even if you're not familiar with the London Area. Just something to think about.
Old June 8th, 2010, 04:08 AM   #1534
sonysnob

That's a neat plan. I would like to see more C-D's in Ontario too. I think there is great potential for one in Cambridge between Highway 8 and Highway 24 or Franklin since so much traffic gets on the 401 at Highway 8 only to exit the highway at either Highway 24 or Franklin.
Old June 12th, 2010, 01:06 AM   #1535
sonysnob

Highway 400:

Old June 12th, 2010, 08:30 AM   #1536
Haljackey

Geesh that overpass is old. Looks like it may fall apart like that one near Montreal.

I don't know much about Highway 400. Are there any plans to replace the aging structures? Also that metal pole between the two carriageways looks pretty unsafe when compared to a guardrail or tall wall.
Old June 12th, 2010, 04:25 PM   #1537
sonysnob

That bridge? That bridge isn't going to fall over, it's a rigid frame, they last forever.

The MTO has been in preliminary design to do something with the 400 for a long time. And it will probably be a long time before anything gets done. It's an old road, and obviously we wouldn't build it the same way today as it was built back in the day, but it works OK.
Old June 15th, 2010, 07:22 AM   #1538
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

Quote:
This highway almost looks like a rollercoaster.

Where is that? It's a great shot.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 11:59 PM   #1539
Haljackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
Where is that? It's a great shot.
That's Highway 401 in Ontario between London and Ingersoll. It looks like a bumpy ride, but it's actually quite smooth.
Old June 18th, 2010, 12:39 AM   #1540
Bartolo

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
That's Highway 401 in Ontario between London and Ingersoll. It looks like a bumpy ride, but it's actually quite smooth.
It is quite a smooth drive... and the traffic moves at about 130 or more in the fast lane.
Bartolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto