daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old June 22nd, 2010, 12:35 AM   #1561
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.
 
Fargo Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Port Kepler, Galilei Continent, Chakona
Posts: 685
Likes (Received): 17

Just doing my bit for Western Canada here. These were taken in Kamloops, while I was out and about. Just three pics of HWY 1/5/97 The 6 lane starts/ends just west of the truck scales and ends about 3.5 KM later at the exit for Columbia St. These were taken from the Pacific Way.

Looking east:


Looking west:


Directional sign to the highway. Good shot of the font used:
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2010, 01:31 AM   #1562
go_leafs_go02
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London/Hamilton, Canada
Posts: 490
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
That "roller coaster" shot of the 401 east of London was great. I wish BC had ANY 6 lane freeways but alas only 4 lanes with short HOVs. The amount of traffic on the 401 has soared. Much busier than when I was a kid in 1980. Even more so with the 402. I remember when the part from Sarnia to Strathroy opened and it was near vacant. People use to joje that Strathroy now has 2 bowling alleys.
Any videos of the 402?
I'm a Londoner who now lives in BC (Surrey area) and I dearly miss the high-standard highways I grew up driving. BC is a joke for transportation investments. It makes me sad to see how London can have 6 lanes, but yet it's impossible to have 6 lanes anywhere in Vancouver.

The 402 still isnt' that busy, but probably has grown a fair bit since the 1980s.

I love how that picture in Kamloops shows better highway facilities than in Vancouver. It's like Toronto having 4-lanes on the 401 still.
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 02:46 AM   #1563
Haljackey
Registered User
 
Haljackey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 702
Likes (Received): 107

Nice shots from Kamloops, Fargo Wolf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
HOV is only useful from 4 - 5 lanes per direction, otherwise the HOV potential is just too low to justify a dedicated lane. It's just politics otherwise.
Our ministry of transportation prides itself by saying "an HOV lane has the capacity of 4 general purpose lanes". While this may be true from a average people per day basis, the actual amount of cars that can travel on it remain the same as any other lane.
-This is why HOV lanes are being built on 6 lane roads. The 403 between the 407 and 401/410 is a good example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
I'm a Londoner who now lives in BC (Surrey area) and I dearly miss the high-standard highways I grew up driving. BC is a joke for transportation investments. It makes me sad to see how London can have 6 lanes, but yet it's impossible to have 6 lanes anywhere in Vancouver.

The 402 still isnt' that busy, but probably has grown a fair bit since the 1980s.

I love how that picture in Kamloops shows better highway facilities than in Vancouver. It's like Toronto having 4-lanes on the 401 still.
BC needs to do more with road infrastructure, but it's transit investments are pretty good compared to other Canadian cities. However this may be just around Vancouver and partially due to the Olympics.
-If Toronto ever got the Olympics, hopefully it would get some improvements to it's transit system... this city desperately needs it.

London has 6 lanes because the 401 has a lot more traffic between highways 402 and 403. Also note that London is the largest city in North America that doesn't have a freeway for local traffic, so the 401 bypass is used as a commuter road more and more.
-Plans call for 8 lanes west of Highway 402 and a right of way for a maximum 10 lane cross-section to the VMP.

The 402 is only semi-busy between Highway 4 and 401 in London and west of Airport Road in Sarina. Traffic on the 403 is also pretty light between Highways 401 and 24.

Last edited by Haljackey; June 22nd, 2010 at 02:51 AM.
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 03:14 AM   #1564
sonysnob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North York
Posts: 960
Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
Our ministry of transportation prides itself by saying "an HOV lane has the capacity of 4 general purpose lanes". While this may be true from a average people per day basis, the actual amount of cars that can travel on it remain the same as any other lane.
-This is why HOV lanes are being built on 6 lane roads. The 403 between the 407 and 401/410 is a good example.
The issue that I have with HOV lane construction is that it seems to be the only tool to be utilized by the provincial government. For the amount of money being spent on the QEW, it is a waste that a general purpose lane _and_ an HOV lane are not being constructed ... or at least that an extra general purpose lane wasn't being precluded.

Also, consider that with the the extra wide shoulders, and the striped buffer zones, each HOV lane takes up almost as much space as two lanes anyways.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
London has 6 lanes because the 401 has a lot more traffic between highways 402 and 403. Also note that London is the largest city in North America that doesn't have a freeway for local traffic, so the 401 bypass is used as a commuter road more and more.
-Plans call for 8 lanes west of Highway 402 and a right of way for a maximum 10 lane cross-section to the VMP.
Winnipeg is a city in North America, way larger than London, and it doesn't have a freeway network either.
__________________
Asphaltplanet.ca
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 03:29 AM   #1565
AUchamps
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 386
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
The issue that I have with HOV lane construction is that it seems to be the only tool to be utilized by the provincial government. For the amount of money being spent on the QEW, it is a waste that a general purpose lane _and_ an HOV lane are not being constructed ... or at least that an extra general purpose lane wasn't being precluded.

Also, consider that with the the extra wide shoulders, and the striped buffer zones, each HOV lane takes up almost as much space as two lanes anyways.




Winnipeg is a city in North America, way larger than London, and it doesn't have a freeway network either.
Highway 100 is limited access in enough parts to be considered a Freeway. It's like New Circle Road in Lexington, Kentucky. Not Limited Access the whole way, but enough to be considered Freeway.
__________________
But what is Strumatic, we have to define what Strumatic is, a word that refers to the experience of driving/travelling on a superior motorway called Struma motorway or to the ultimative psychedelic road experience only possible on brand new roads and most effective when thereīs snow outside so that the shiny crashbarriers shine even more and reflect the snow and the asphalt looks even better. I must think of itīs best definition first. -Radi Click
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 03:33 AM   #1566
sonysnob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North York
Posts: 960
Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUchamps View Post
Highway 100 is limited access in enough parts to be considered a Freeway. It's like New Circle Road in Lexington, Kentucky. Not Limited Access the whole way, but enough to be considered Freeway.
Ever driven Highway 100? There are traffic signals all over it? And besides, if Highway 100 counts for local traffic, surely the 401/402 do for London.
__________________
Asphaltplanet.ca
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 04:11 AM   #1567
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)
 
TheCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,358
Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
The issue that I have with HOV lane construction is that it seems to be the only tool to be utilized by the provincial government. For the amount of money being spent on the QEW, it is a waste that a general purpose lane _and_ an HOV lane are not being constructed ... or at least that an extra general purpose lane wasn't being precluded.

Also, consider that with the the extra wide shoulders, and the striped buffer zones, each HOV lane takes up almost as much space as two lanes anyways.
+1

I've driven on the various sections of highway that have HOV lanes in the Toronto area, and 99% of the time it was a completely empty lane with the occasional car passing by very rarely. Maybe I observed that at some unusual times, but I never saw anything I would even describe as "light traffic".
__________________
Check out my driving videos on Youtube | Please visit the Highways & Autobahns forum
TheCat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 07:06 AM   #1568
Haljackey
Registered User
 
Haljackey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 702
Likes (Received): 107

I would assume that Highway 100 and the freeways in Winnipeg are used by traffic in the region. Very little traffic will go right past the city because it's so isolated on the TCH. Most people I would assume would want to do something in winnipeg (eg. eat, sleep, see sights, etc.)

With the London network, very little local traffic uses the 401/402. Its mostly long distance traffic that doesn't make use of London at all. It's if the city wasn't even there... much different story for Winnipeg.

Just my thoughts.
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 07:14 AM   #1569
go_leafs_go02
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London/Hamilton, Canada
Posts: 490
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
I would assume that Highway 100 and the freeways in Winnipeg are used by traffic in the region. Very little traffic will go right past the city because it's so isolated on the TCH. Most people I would assume would want to do something in winnipeg (eg. eat, sleep, see sights, etc.)

With the London network, very little local traffic uses the 401/402. Its mostly long distance traffic that doesn't make use of London at all. It's if the city wasn't even there... much different story for Winnipeg.

Just my thoughts.
There is a huge drop off in traffic west of London, and I easily guarantee traffic volumes of both Highway 401 & 402 west of London are not really even close to the traffic volumes between London & Woodstock.

Alot of that long distance traffic is en route for London. Check to see how busy Highbury & Wellington Road interchanges are for vehicles coming from/going to the east. I would argue it is substantially higher than the west.
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 07:28 AM   #1570
Haljackey
Registered User
 
Haljackey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 702
Likes (Received): 107

Here's a new shot of Highway 404 in Toronto, the only route with HOV lanes which in my opinion needs HOV lanes.



The HOV system on the 404 would work so much better if it continued on the Don Valley Parkway, however.

And I also agree that you could probably fit 2 regular lanes where that HOV lane is quite easily.
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 11:05 PM   #1571
sonysnob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North York
Posts: 960
Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
I would assume that Highway 100 and the freeways in Winnipeg are used by traffic in the region. Very little traffic will go right past the city because it's so isolated on the TCH. Most people I would assume would want to do something in winnipeg (eg. eat, sleep, see sights, etc.)

With the London network, very little local traffic uses the 401/402. Its mostly long distance traffic that doesn't make use of London at all. It's if the city wasn't even there... much different story for Winnipeg.

Just my thoughts.
This post is rubbish. Sorry to say, but I'd be embarrassed to have written this. There is no shame in being wrong, but you need to have the decency to admit it.
__________________
Asphaltplanet.ca

Last edited by sonysnob; June 22nd, 2010 at 11:40 PM.
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 12:01 AM   #1572
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,569
Likes (Received): 19355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
Our ministry of transportation prides itself by saying "an HOV lane has the capacity of 4 general purpose lanes". While this may be true from a average people per day basis, the actual amount of cars that can travel on it remain the same as any other lane.
This is, of course, based on the number of people in a vehicle, as you say, a HOV lane has the technical capacity (vehicles/hour) like any other lane (slightly lower because you can't pass). However, 4 times is exaggerated, even in people/car terms. The average car has 1.2 people in it. This would mean the average HOV car has 4.8 people in it. I don't buy that, unless a large proportion of HOV traffic are buses.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 01:22 AM   #1573
Bartolo
Registered User
 
Bartolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Hamilton (Dundas), ON
Posts: 387
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
This is, of course, based on the number of people in a vehicle, as you say, a HOV lane has the technical capacity (vehicles/hour) like any other lane (slightly lower because you can't pass). However, 4 times is exaggerated, even in people/car terms. The average car has 1.2 people in it. This would mean the average HOV car has 4.8 people in it. I don't buy that, unless a large proportion of HOV traffic are buses.
On the 403 in Mississauga, Mississauga Transit buses travel on the shoulder.
Bartolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 07:13 AM   #1574
Gil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,120
Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartolo View Post
On the 403 in Mississauga, Mississauga Transit buses travel on the shoulder.
That's the case since they are only travelling between two adjacent exits. Granted the Mavis and Erin Mills exits are 5km apart, but given the volume of traffic on the 403 at rush hour, I don't think there'd be any savings in trying to get into the HOV lane. GO Transit which uses a longer segment of the 403 makes full use of the HOV lanes when conditions dictate. I would presume that the MT 109 Express route which bypasses the City Centre would use the HOV lanes instead of the BBS (Bus Bypass Shoulder) Lane travelling between Erin Mills and Eastgate.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 05:52 PM   #1575
CptSchmidt
Nova Scotian driver.
 
CptSchmidt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Halifax, NS, Canada
Posts: 132
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
And I also agree that you could probably fit 2 regular lanes where that HOV lane is quite easily.
Maybe even three if they made the left shoulder a more reasonable size.

I think HOV lanes are a waste of space, personally, and are therefore worse for the environment. Just like those 'hybrid parking only' spaces you see in parking lots some places.
__________________
Nova Scotian highways and roads on my YouTube page.
CptSchmidt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2010, 03:59 AM   #1576
sonysnob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North York
Posts: 960
Likes (Received): 860

I am working on a Highway 410 update for my website, and am uploading some historical maps as part of the page.

I am posting two maps, the first is a map of Highway 410 while it was still a Super-2 highway in Brampton:


The second is of the Highway 401 interchange in Mississauga. Note the different cartography style -- this is from the same atlas.


Both are from 1988.

Cheers.
__________________
Asphaltplanet.ca
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 05:37 AM   #1577
Haljackey
Registered User
 
Haljackey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 702
Likes (Received): 107

Traveled to the Falls for Canada Day, took some pics on the way.

Looking at Highway 401 westbound from Highbury Avenue in London.
image hosted on flickr


Heading onto Highway 401 eastbound from Highbury Avenue
image hosted on flickr


The famous "hilly" segments of the 401 between London and Ingersoll
image hosted on flickr


On Highway 403 now near the Grand River.
image hosted on flickr


Looking at the Niagara bound Queen Elizabeth Way from the Red Hill Valley Parkway interchange in Hamilton.
image hosted on flickr


Highway 420's expressway portion in Niagara Falls.
-This is a rare exception for the 400-Series highways. Nearly all segments are freeways.
image hosted on flickr


Highway 420's terminus at Falls Avenue, near the Rainbow Bridge crossing to the USA.
image hosted on flickr


Anyways hope you enjoyed the pics! It's always a fun time in Niagara Falls on Canada Day!
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 03:43 AM   #1578
sonysnob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North York
Posts: 960
Likes (Received): 860

Non highway related question here. What kind of show do they put on in the falls for Canada Day? I only wonder because although it is a pretty big tourist attraction, the falls themselves are situated on an international border.
__________________
Asphaltplanet.ca
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 05:14 AM   #1579
Gil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,120
Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
Highway 420's expressway portion in Niagara Falls.
-This is a rare exception for the 400-Series highways. Nearly all segments are freeways.
image hosted on flickr


Highway 420's terminus at Falls Avenue, near the Rainbow Bridge crossing to the USA.
image hosted on flickr


Anyways hope you enjoyed the pics! It's always a fun time in Niagara Falls on Canada Day!
The non-expressway portion of the 420 east of Stanley was downloaded to Niagara Region. It's signed as Regional Road 420 down to the border, effectively cutting the length of the highway in half.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #1580
Haljackey
Registered User
 
Haljackey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 702
Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Non highway related question here. What kind of show do they put on in the falls for Canada Day? I only wonder because although it is a pretty big tourist attraction, the falls themselves are situated on an international border.
They put on live concerts near the falls, and a huge fireworks show over the falls! It's always a great way to celebrate Canada Day!

Actually fireworks over the falls occur a lot over the summer, but they're best from July 1-4 (for Canada Day and US Independence Day).



Here's a new road video of mine. It shows the Highbury extension, Highway 401 and 402 in London, Ontario.



Link for HD and info: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFXvbx8bnTE

Hope you enjoy it!
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium