daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 15th, 2010, 12:13 PM   #1681
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Don't forget the 401 is the busiest freeway in the world by quite a large margin. It has 427,000 vehicles per day, while the next busiest, the I-405 near Los Angeles, has 390,000 vehicles per day. And also consider some less busy freeways have a similar amount of lanes for much lower traffic volumes.

Although 16 lanes look huge, it is not particularly generous for the huge amount of traffic recorded there.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2010, 03:42 PM   #1682
IrishMan2010
Liberal Minded

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
Gigantic is an understatement...and with all it's lanes in the GTA, you could still end up in a jam during rush hour.

However, the part between the 427 and 409 is the real choke-point, where there isn't any local/express lanes.
Yeah I remember I was on it during the summer, travelling towards Toronto from Montreal, not sure where abouts I was on it, it could have been at Scarborough, and my god I had never seen so many cars in my life. The traffic kept moving tho I was really suprised.
IrishMan2010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 08:39 PM   #1683
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphynx View Post
Another video. This time a time-lapse road trip up the Coquihalla Hwy (Hwy 5) commencing at the junction of Hwy 1/Hwy 9 just west of Hope, B.C. near the coast and then rising through the coastal mountains... hitting the interior plateau near Merritt B.C. and continuing on to Kamloops, B.C.

Notice the dramatic weather changes as one traverses through the coastal mountains and the mountain passes.

Very cool, I like the use of a third (climbing) lane in places. Only been on it once, but it was a drive to remember.

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 03:41 AM   #1684
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
Gigantic is an understatement...and with all it's lanes in the GTA, you could still end up in a jam during rush hour.

However, the part between the 427 and 409 is the real choke-point, where there isn't any local/express lanes.
Physically it is a choke-point and there's not much room to extend the collector lanes through the area without a lot of expropriating. The 409 does serve as an alternate to that section (when it isn't ripped up for reconstruction -- hopefully it'll wrap up soon). Unfortunately it isn't signed as an alternative.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 07:22 AM   #1685
Haljackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
Physically it is a choke-point and there's not much room to extend the collector lanes through the area without a lot of expropriating. The 409 does serve as an alternate to that section (when it isn't ripped up for reconstruction -- hopefully it'll wrap up soon). Unfortunately it isn't signed as an alternative.
Only on the 401 is 10 lanes a choke point.

Then again it's 16 lanes east of it and 18 lanes west of it.

Only by considerably reconstituting the 427 interchange will you allow a collector-express system to carry though. Then again you have to worry about local interchanges and right of way with such a wide cross-section.

Getting 14-16 lanes through here would be best, allowing for 12-14 lanes to pass under the 427.

The 401's busiest section is not much further to the east. Getting this section to 20 lanes would help it handle a world-record-holding load. However this would involve seriously reconstructing the Highway 400 interchange, but the MTO has that in their planning books.

My Simcity Stuff
Old September 16th, 2010, 09:16 PM   #1686
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

Great Coquihalla vid, thanks.
I know that they screwed up the Merrit to OK Connector. It was suppose to connect about 20km south of Merrit until the NDP got a hold of it and the Minister of Trans was from Merrit so there you have it.
It's estimated that cars would save about 25 minutes travel time as the Merrit route is ridiculously indirest and about a 30 km round about. It's estimated that transport trucks would save up to 40 minutes travel time and tons of gas due to the long and steep hill before Merrit. Sometimes transport crawl down 50 km/hr due to the long steep grade.
Any questions being asked to finish the OK Connector in the way it was suppose to before the NDP gov't?
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 03:34 AM   #1687
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
Any questions being asked to finish the OK Connector in the way it was suppose to before the NDP gov't?
Dead, buried and pretty much forgotten.
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 12:57 AM   #1688
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Highway 69-New:

New four-lane Trans-Canada Highway south of Sudbury:

More information and photos here:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_6..._p5_images.htm
Old September 18th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #1689
IrishMan2010
Liberal Minded

Likes (Received): 22

Canadian highways are impressive.
IrishMan2010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 03:04 AM   #1690
Haljackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Highway 69-New
Nice pics!

I thought as parts of the 69 were twinned they became part of Highway 400? Or is this section that was just twinned further north of the completed 400? I would then assume when the gap between these two spans is filled it would become part of the 400.

My Simcity Stuff
Old September 20th, 2010, 05:35 AM   #1691
sonysnob

The new bit of twinned highway just south of Sudbury is just designated as Highway 69.

The new section of twinned highway from Parry Sound to Highway 559 is only signed as Highway 400. (It's not open yet, but the reassurance signs have been posted). This could mean that Highway 69's new southern terminus will be at Highway 559, and that the old Highway 69 neat St. Joseph Lake could either me decommissioned or renumbered.
Old September 20th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #1692
Haljackey

Here's a photo I took of Highway 401 in London, looking west from the Highway 4 overpass:

The Highway 4/401 interchange is one of the last cloverleafs left in the province of Ontario. It should have been converted to a parclo a long time ago, but the geometry of the area makes reconstruction difficult.

Satellite image (2006) from Google Earth:

Here is what is planned. The reconstruction will probably include widening the 401 to six lanes and adding a new interchange with Wonderland road to the east.

A GIF of the reconstruction. I'm not sure why this GIF doesn't include one of the loop ramps of the existing cloverleaf.

Wonderland Road interchange. Residents in west London can access Highway 401 eastbound via Highway 402, but lack good access to the 401 westbound. This interchange will fix this.

Not sure when construction will start, but it will probably take a few years to complete.

My Simcity Stuff

Last edited by Haljackey; September 20th, 2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old September 21st, 2010, 12:08 AM   #1693
sonysnob

^ Those are old.

I think they date back to 2003 or 2004. These plans date from when the existing westbound off-ramp to Highway 4 was reconfigured to a tee intersection. I think, (and keep in mind its been five or six years since I have seen these), but Wonderland Road was supposed to be phaed at sometime like 2017.

By the way, interesting choice to photograph the Hwy 4 cloverleaf the way that you did. Not that there is a right way or a wrong way, but I wouldn't have shot it that way. I would have used a really wide angle to show the cloverleaf ramps coming into the highway -- to highlight that the interchange is indeed a cloverleaf.

Last edited by sonysnob; September 21st, 2010 at 04:25 AM.
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 08:13 PM   #1694
Haljackey

Check out this amazing photo of the Gardiner Expressway from Urban Toronto.

Photo Of The Day: The Gardiner Expressway As It Zigs And Zags Around Downtown

Photo by tomms
September 22, 2010

Some believe the Gardiner Expressway is now no longer a barrier now that it is surrounded by condos. Thus they feel the Gardiner is now protected from demolition. We believe, as a wise forum member once explained to us, that this is actually more likely to have the opposite effect. All these people (voters) now living next to the noise and pollution caused by the highway will be the first in line to advocate for it to come down. What do you think, will the condos make or break the Gardiner?

http://urbantoronto.ca/content.php?1...round-Downtown

The scenery has really changed since the highway's opening. Way back when, this was a dirty industrial area. Just look at it now!

My Simcity Stuff
Old September 22nd, 2010, 09:35 PM   #1695
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

These people are so sad, moving into a building next to a freeway and then complain about the freeway... It's like someone moving to the countryside and then wants to have the nearby farm demolished because it smells too much.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 01:17 AM   #1696
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

^ I agree.
The DRL could use ROW and elevation but you would people in the area bitch. Anyone who decides to move next the busiest railway section in the country and very busy elevated expressway and then bitches about elevated rapid transit gets no empathy from me.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 02:11 AM   #1697
sonysnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
^ I agree.
The DRL could use ROW and elevation but you would people in the area bitch. Anyone who decides to move next the busiest railway section in the country and very busy elevated expressway and then bitches about elevated rapid transit gets no empathy from me.
You know, I honestly believe that the people who complain about the Gardiner have no idea how goods get transported Downtown. Downtown Toronto is like its own little world. The condo dwellers who live there likely have no idea just how much is found beyond Bay Street.

Tearing down the Gardiner would be stupid. Replacing it with a new structure, that is more appealing, and permits more landscaping along the Lakeshore corridor (which admittedly is pretty ugly at times) is the way to go.

The problem with Toronto, is that to Torontonians, Toronto actually is the Centre of the Universe.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 09:29 AM   #1698
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10397

I find the rail yards downtown to be a much more bigger eyesore than the Gardiner.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #1699
rick1016

Likes (Received): 15

Agree with that. They should scrap them and plant grass, trees and have park land.
rick1016 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 02:22 AM   #1700
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10397

Yeah, putting some green space would be a good idea. The area can get pretty cramped at times and the rails are an eyesore.

BTW, the Gardiner is one of my favorite highways, especially at the Etobicoke Creek bridge when the highway curves with the bay, with the skyline of downtown right in your face. Best way to enter the city. It's nowhere near the eyesore that the Central Artery was for Boston (Big Dig).
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto