daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 24th, 2010, 05:56 AM   #1701
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Yeah it's tough to beat the view, especially entering downtown from the east.

Here's a photo I took back in May near the Gardiner/Spadina interchange.

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2010, 10:37 PM   #1702
zivan56

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishMan2010 View Post
Canadian highways are impressive.
Correction: some of Canada's highways are impressive.

Traffic is a nightmare in Vancouver, with the only closest highway having 2 lanes each way (3 in some places, but not continuous). This will be upgraded, but it will be tolled..so the only real highway in and out of Vancouver (and basically the Fraser Valley) will have a toll on it. I can understand if it was an alternative faster route, but instead people will have to keep taking this route if they want to get to work in the morning/home in the afternoon.

If you want to see more "impressive" roads in BC, check out highway 99 from Whistler to Lillooet. One lane in each direction with unacceptable road quality in most parts...even driving a car with the softest suspension on earth will result in a bone jarring ride. Oh yeah, and random gravel sections that come out of nowhere! Not to mention those fun temporary wooden bridges!
Keep in mind this is not a logging road, but a full highway.

While the Coquihalla seems impressive, it is far from it. It is dangerous when it rains due to huge puddles that form in thousands of road depressions. This causes you to hydroplane dozens of times every few seconds.

To conclude, BC roads suck. Even the only major highway (highway 1) through most of BC is 1 lane in each direction in plenty of places.
zivan56 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 05:22 AM   #1703
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
Correction: some of Canada's highways are impressive.

Traffic is a nightmare in Vancouver, with the only closest highway having 2 lanes each way (3 in some places, but not continuous). This will be upgraded, but it will be tolled..so the only real highway in and out of Vancouver (and basically the Fraser Valley) will have a toll on it. I can understand if it was an alternative faster route, but instead people will have to keep taking this route if they want to get to work in the morning/home in the afternoon.

If you want to see more "impressive" roads in BC, check out highway 99 from Whistler to Lillooet. One lane in each direction with unacceptable road quality in most parts...even driving a car with the softest suspension on earth will result in a bone jarring ride. Oh yeah, and random gravel sections that come out of nowhere! Not to mention those fun temporary wooden bridges!
Keep in mind this is not a logging road, but a full highway.

While the Coquihalla seems impressive, it is far from it. It is dangerous when it rains due to huge puddles that form in thousands of road depressions. This causes you to hydroplane dozens of times every few seconds.

To conclude, BC roads suck. Even the only major highway (highway 1) through most of BC is 1 lane in each direction in plenty of places.
The new Port Mann will be tolled, but as I understand it, the rest will be toll free. The downside is, is that those who don't want to pay the toll, will just add to the chaos that is the Patello Bridge.

The Sea To Sky Hwy portion of BC Hwy 99, is now 2X2 for about half it's length. The rest of it is alternating passing/crawler lanes, along with improved/realigned road. to Whistler. From Whistler to Lillooet, a bridge or two has been replaced, but that's about it. Traffic is quite light on this portion, so upgrades will be years in coming. I like the one lane bridges. Even though it's marked as a highway, it's primary purpose, is that of a resource road, just as Hwy 40 (Bighorn Highway) between Hinton and Grande Prairie is.

The "Coke" is going to get FAR worse, now that the tolls have been removed. Some ares were ALWAYS poorly engineered. The hairpin bend at the north end of the avalanche gallery that's cambered the wrong way for example. The fact that "Snowshed Hill" is 12%, NOT 8 as the sign indicates...

BC does have decent highways, you just have to really look for those sections. Hwy 97 S. is getting a 4 lane stretch just south of Westwold, as is a section of Hwy 5 N. just south of the village of McLure. The Trans Canada is in the very early stage of being upgraded to 2X2 from the Kamloops City limits to the village of Pritchard.

It's not that nothing is being done, It's that the progress is like pouring cold syrup in -20C temperatures...
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 05:48 AM   #1704
Haljackey

Took a DSLR for a spin yesterday. It was a rainy day but I did manage to get 6 good pictures of the 401 in London. Remember that Highbury Avenue and the Veterans Memorial Parkway are expressways. Thus, I can't get shots from those overpasses because there is no pedestrian access.

Highway 401 looking west towards the Highway 402 interchange from Wellington Road.

A rare photograph showing the Highway 401 / Highway 402 interchange. Taken from the Digman Drive overpass, which was under repairs at the time this photo was taken (hence the construction pylons and signs). The overpass doesn't have a sidewalk, so the only time I could take photos without the fear of being hit by cars was during this brief timeframe.

This photograph shows Highway 401 just west of the Highway 402 interchange, where the highway narrows from six to four lanes. T
-Also note the reverse colours of the asphalt. The newer asphalt switches from the inside to the outside while the older asphalt switches from the outside to the inside.

Zoomed in version of the last picture.

Highway 401 in west London. This section of the highway is planned to be widened to six lanes sometime in the future and will include a new interchange with Wonderland Road.

One more shot of Highway 401 west of the 402.

Full size versions of these pictures can be found on the Highway 401 page in the Wikimedia commons. Link:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ca..._%28Ontario%29

My Simcity Stuff
Old September 26th, 2010, 07:28 AM   #1705
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 856

Thanks for the great pics.
How about 402 photos?
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 07:31 AM   #1706
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Bah, pedestrian access means nothing.

Cool pics. What kind of SLR were you using?
Old September 26th, 2010, 08:57 AM   #1707
Haljackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
Thanks for the great pics.
How about 402 photos?
Ok, just for you:

Highway 402 in London between Wonderland Road and Highway 4.

The 402 is a pretty boring drive. Just a typical rural highway with a grass median.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Bah, pedestrian access means nothing.

Cool pics. What kind of SLR were you using?
You're crazy! On your site you have pics from the Highbury and Veteran's Memorial Parkway. Not only do they not have sidewalks, pedestrians aren't even permitted to use em!

Then again you're a professional road photographer. I'm just an amateur.. mostly taking these pictures for Wikipedia and what not. Just a hobby I guess.

The camera I used was a Nikon D90. I borrowed it from my school.
-I wish I owned it, but I don't wanna pay $1500 plus another $350 for the lens. I guess borrowing it for free is acceptable.

My Simcity Stuff
Old September 26th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #1708
sonysnob

I am not a professional -- I am a hobbyist just like you, I just have been doing it for a long time. In fact my gear does not even come close to rivaling that of a Nikon D90. And, while you are correct that I have shot from the Vet, I have never shot from Highbury -- that's too dangerous.

Anyways, if I had a D90 out on loan, I would try to do some long exposure night photos. The ability to shoot in low light conditions are really what separate the good cameras from the adequate ones. London has a couple of really, really good vantages of Downtown that would work at night -- namely the Adelaide Street bridge over the Railway, or the Wharncliff Road bridge over the Thames. The great thing about shooting from a bridge, is the parapet wall can substitute as a tripod.

Old September 26th, 2010, 09:29 PM   #1709
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 856

O Haljackey you're such a sweetheart.
Any others?
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2010, 01:43 AM   #1710
sonysnob

I don't know how to post an embedded video into this forum, but there is a really cool video of Highway 410 on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtNelNp3lt0
Old September 27th, 2010, 01:49 AM   #1711
sonysnob

I have got some more 402 as well. I didn't reply earlier in case you were looking for stuff specifically from Haljacky.

Cheers.
Old September 27th, 2010, 03:52 AM   #1712
Haljackey

Quote:
I am not a professional -- I am a hobbyist just like you, I just have been doing it for a long time. In fact my gear does not even come close to rivaling that of a Nikon D90. And, while you are correct that I have shot from the Vet, I have never shot from Highbury -- that's too dangerous.

Anyways, if I had a D90 out on loan, I would try to do some long exposure night photos. The ability to shoot in low light conditions are really what separate the good cameras from the adequate ones. London has a couple of really, really good vantages of Downtown that would work at night -- namely the Adelaide Street bridge over the Railway, or the Wharncliff Road bridge over the Thames. The great thing about shooting from a bridge, is the parapet wall can substitute as a tripod.

lol, well you seem like one with such clean photos and a nice website.
-Hopefully you looked before you went on the VMP overpass, took your shots fast than ran the hell outa there!
-As for taking other shots, that's not a bad idea. Maybe I'll take some shots of the London skyline from various vantage points. As for long exposure night shots, I'll have to experiment with how they work before I can get one to take. They all came out blurry when I tried it at night.

Quote:
O Haljackey you're such a sweetheart.
Any others?
lol

No, not right now. Hopefully Steve's photos pacified your craving for now.

Quote:
I don't know how to post an embedded video into this forum, but there is a really cool video of Highway 410 on youtube:

Embedded.

Quote:
I have got some more 402 as well. I didn't reply earlier in case you were looking for stuff specifically from Haljacky.

OMG the 402 has more concrete sections now? Why!?!?!?!

Asphalt is so smooth, concrete is too bumpy. If you're going to use concrete foundations, lay a coat of asphalt over it for the driving surface.

My Simcity Stuff
Old September 28th, 2010, 12:51 AM   #1713
sonysnob

^ The 402 was reconstructed in concrete from just east of Maudamin Road easterly to east of Highway 21 South. I was surprised at this too, however, given how expensive oil was in 2007/08 when this work was completed, it shouldn't be too shocking.
Old September 28th, 2010, 03:35 AM   #1714
Haljackey

Quote:

Found another video by the same person who made the one above which shows Highways 401, 400 and 407 in Toronto. The section of Highway 401 traveled in the video is the busiest section of highway in the world.

*Note: You might want to mute the sound and play some tunes yourself.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJEsE0n3jyQ

My Simcity Stuff
Old September 29th, 2010, 05:35 AM   #1715
CptSchmidt
Nova Scotian driver.

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
^ I agree.
The DRL could use ROW and elevation but you would people in the area bitch. Anyone who decides to move next the busiest railway section in the country and very busy elevated expressway and then bitches about elevated rapid transit gets no empathy from me.
I think, even though it's expensive, Toronto should consider underground highways like Montreal's Ville-Marie. Montreal's got an excellent setup that you'd think Toronto would at least try to borrow some ideas from. Especially since Toronto's desperate for space...

Now that Rob Ford is a front-runner in the mayoral election, though, we can't expect any progressive thoughts materialising in Toronto for years to come.
Old September 30th, 2010, 01:55 AM   #1716
Haljackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSchmidt View Post
I think, even though it's expensive, Toronto should consider underground highways like Montreal's Ville-Marie. Montreal's got an excellent setup that you'd think Toronto would at least try to borrow some ideas from. Especially since Toronto's desperate for space...

Now that Rob Ford is a front-runner in the mayoral election, though, we can't expect any progressive thoughts materialising in Toronto for years to come.
Never say never, things can still change. Still another month to go before we decide who our mayor is going to be. Wait until the last week, or better yet, wait until the election is over.

My Simcity Stuff
Old October 1st, 2010, 06:27 AM   #1717
sonysnob

Kitchener at night:

Old October 2nd, 2010, 10:14 PM   #1718
Haljackey

I find it kinda crazy that Kitchener only has 2 junctions with the 401 (within it's city limits).

Also the one with Highway 8 only connects to the 401 eastbound, You need to get off the freeway and King Street (also Highway 8?) to access 401 westbound.

Although I do recall seeing plans for reconstructing that junction so there's direct connections everywhere.
Old October 2nd, 2010, 11:53 PM   #1719
Haljackey

More shots from me:

Highway 402 seen from the Highway 4 overpass, looking east:

And west:

The Highbury Avenue expressway seen from the Commissioners Road overpass, looking north.

With these photos, I'm pretty much done visually documenting the highway system in London. Hope you enjoyed them!
Old October 4th, 2010, 09:24 AM   #1720
LMB
Once BMW, always Honda

Likes (Received): 44

A bit OT:
From the embedded video I can see what is the definition of a "freeway". What is a "highway" then? Does it have a fixed definition (even an unofficial one), or is it just anything other than a simple two-lane road? Thanks.
LMB no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto