daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 16th, 2010, 01:16 AM   #1741
Andlauer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
not all of them , some Midwestern states can't afford theres anymore and there falling apart. Most Northeastern Highways are narrow and congested. The South is ok , the West Coast Varies.
Its like that in every country. Some areas are better than others. But on average the US interstate system is much better than Quebec's
Andlauer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2010, 03:31 AM   #1742
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

A nice section of Quebec Highway:

Old October 18th, 2010, 03:50 AM   #1743
CptSchmidt
Nova Scotian driver.

Here's a video I did recently of Highway 101 from Windsor to Bedford (southbound). Sorry for the shakiness; it was my first trip out with the new camera and hadn't figured out a way to mount it properly yet.

Old October 18th, 2010, 06:49 AM   #1744
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

sonysnob: I really like the "lane ends" signs in Quebec. It shows which lane ends on a multilane road, which is quite helpful.

However I could see it being exceedingly large if you were on a 10 lane highway...

CptSchmidt: Yeah it gets really shaky when you get to the concrete section. The super-two at the beginning is pretty cool, it has a lot of character.

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 01:49 AM   #1745
sonysnob

Take a tour of Ontario's Highway 7:

Old October 23rd, 2010, 11:44 PM   #1746
Metro One

Likes (Received): 4

Awesome pics guys, I really need to do a cross Canada road trip one day! (I have only made it as far as Regina and Saskatoon on car).

Anyways, here are a couple of my highway pics in metro Vancouver, I know many are more of bridge pics, but they still work, hehe.

Here is the #1 in Burnaby. this stretch is currently undergoing major reconstruction (wider, more ramps, etc...)

image hosted on flickr

Here are a bunch I took of the new Golden Ears Bridge and Golden Ears Way in the Eastern Burbs of Metro Vancouver, it opened last year. Starting with its northern end:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

As you can see roundabouts are now built at most new BC interchanges

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The south End

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Now here are some pics of the 97C in BCs dry semi desert interior. This is the highways northern end where it is a small 2 lane secondary highway. Farther south it becomes a full freeway as it nears Kelowna.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

And last but not least, here are some renders of the new Cape Horn interchange U/C in metro Vancouver, part of the larger gateway program, which includes the construction of Canada's tallest bridge and currently the world's widest (at least what I have gathered from my research), the New Port Mann.

image hosted on flickr

A nice old and new comparison

image hosted on flickr

All pics are my own:

My flickr site, http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Cheers!
Metro One no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2010, 01:54 AM   #1747
sonysnob

Awesome photos. I love the 97C Pics, a very unique landscape indeed!
Old October 25th, 2010, 12:04 AM   #1748
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Awesome photos. I love the 97C Pics, a very unique landscape indeed!
Not sure where the first one was taken, but the other two were taken at the Town of Ashcroft, just over an hour's drive west of where I live. The bridge in the pic replaces the former timber one lane, Howe Truss across the Thompson River. Many residents wanted the Provincial Govt. to simply repair it, but instead it was replaced.
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 01:35 AM   #1749
dibble zee
BANNED

Hilarious. Its like the Vancouver users are incapable of posting pure highway shots. They always have to bombard us with pictures of bridges. NEWSFLASH: This isn't the bridge section of the infrastructure forum. Lets see some pics of your highways. We know they're god awful but still...
dibble zee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 01:52 AM   #1750
Haljackey

Great photos, thanks for sharing them!

Highway 7 is one of the most diverse roads in Ontario. Amazing to see it turn from a country road to a full freeway and then back again.

The Golden Ears Bridge looks really cool, but I think the connecting ends could use some work. In time I guess they could be perfected.
-That new junction with Highway 1 is massive! It will sure be impressive once complete, especially for B.C.!

My Simcity Stuff
Old October 25th, 2010, 02:29 AM   #1751
Plumber73
I need coffee.

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibble zee View Post
Hilarious. Its like the Vancouver users are incapable of posting pure highway shots. They always have to bombard us with pictures of bridges. NEWSFLASH: This isn't the bridge section of the infrastructure forum. Lets see some pics of your highways. We know they're god awful but still...
Oh please. It'd be pretty silly not to include bridges, since they are an essential part of the highway system here. Can a bridge not be considered part of the highway? Granted there is another thread for bridges, but if they're pics of a highway bridge...
Old October 25th, 2010, 03:45 AM   #1752
dibble zee
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber73 View Post
Oh please. It'd be pretty silly not to include bridges, since they are an essential part of the highway system here. Can a bridge not be considered part of the highway? Granted there is another thread for bridges, but if they're pics of a highway bridge...
The Golden Ears is an essential part of the highway system here?? Doubtful... Up until a year ago we still had a ferry taking cars across that part of the river. Its definitely not a vital part of the highway system. I think he just posted it because we really don't have anything else to showcase lol. Our highways are atrocious.

BTW he didn't even post those pics in the Bridge Section
Old October 25th, 2010, 04:41 AM   #1753
sonysnob

Quote:
BTW he didn't even post those pics in the Bridge Section
Who cares?
Old October 25th, 2010, 05:29 AM   #1754
dibble zee
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Who cares?
Why would he post a bunch of bridge pictures in the highway section and not the bridge section lol??
Old October 25th, 2010, 05:42 AM   #1755
Plumber73
I need coffee.

Quote:
The Golden Ears is an essential part of the highway system here?? Doubtful... Up until a year ago we still had a ferry taking cars across that part of the river. Its definitely not a vital part of the highway system. I think he just posted it because we really don't have anything else to showcase lol. Our highways are atrocious.
The Golden Ears is part of the highway system nonetheless. Even if you think it doesn't meet German Autobahn standards. It is essential in the sense that you need it to avoid drowning in the Fraser River.

"we really don't have anything else to showcase " <<< Well, here's a list.
Old October 25th, 2010, 06:46 AM   #1756
dibble zee
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber73 View Post
The Golden Ears is part of the highway system nonetheless. Even if you think it doesn't meet German Autobahn standards. It is essential in the sense that you need it to avoid drowning in the Fraser River.

"we really don't have anything else to showcase " <<< Well, here's a list.
Well of course we CAN showcase our highways. But they won't get a good review I mean whats up with BC MoT still those archaic jersey barriers for the center medians on our highways?? Have they not heard of cast in place??
Old October 25th, 2010, 07:12 AM   #1757
Elnerico

Like plumber said, bridges are an important part of BC highway system and currently the Port Mann bridge is a very big part of the highway 1 expansion. Also I live on cape horn and can see the construction from my backyard so on a clear day I will have some pictures when I remember to take them.
Elnerico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 07:19 AM   #1758
Plumber73
I need coffee.

Quote:
Well of course we CAN showcase our highways. But they won't get a good review I mean whats up with BC MoT still those archaic jersey barriers for the center medians on our highways?? Have they not heard of cast in place??
Logistics, funding, bang for the buck, mobility, weather conditions for concrete pours? Not sure. Is pouring on-site really that much better than pouring at one facility and transporting it to where you want it? Everything is made of concrete in the end right? Is the shape that much different? Does cast in place save more lives?
Old October 25th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #1759
zivan56

Likes (Received): 2

Some pictures of BC highways from ~2 months ago:

Highway 3 through Manning Provincial Park (2 lane, being upgraded to 4):

Highway 3 near Priceton:

Highway 3A approaching Penticton:

Highway 97 near Osoyoos:

Highway 3 near Keremeos
zivan56 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #1760
Haljackey

Nice pictures zivan56! I like how the speed sign is supported in the 5th picture. Definitely gives it character!

I think it's fine to post bridges here. Many highways and autobhans have bridges along their routes, and their design adds a lot to the drive. As long as there isn't bridge overkill here (which there isn't), then posting some bridge pictures is fine with me.

My Simcity Stuff

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto