daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 7th, 2005, 08:14 AM   #161
KingWest

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by waustralia
My god that is ugly. Impressive, but so ugly! You definitely dont find this sort of stuff in Australia.
What is an Australia?
KingWest no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2005, 08:41 AM   #162
[email protected]_Coast

Well Toronto is Canada's heart when it comes to the body of canada. All must come to Toronto before goods are shipped to the rest of the country. When stuff comes from Asia it goes to Vancouver the port of Vancouver then to Toronto where it is sent to the rest of the country ie. back to BC Albtera and so on. The same thing happens when it come from Europe and the US. Blood pumps threw the Heart before it can reach the body! That is why toronto needs these crazy roads, however that doesn't justify that nasty sprawl, I hope the city can get its act together on this one.

It is similar to Chicago, they have CRAZY ROADS!
West@East_Coast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2005, 08:54 AM   #163
jer4893
JER_4893

Where did you get that information? That doesn't seem true at all.
Old August 7th, 2005, 08:58 AM   #164
Jaye101
Midtown Fella

Likes (Received): 9

hmmmmmmm, I can't say its not true, though I doubt it, because i dunno.
Jaye101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2005, 08:59 AM   #165
[email protected]_Coast

oops

Last edited by [email protected]_Coast; August 8th, 2005 at 07:31 AM.
Old August 7th, 2005, 09:08 AM   #166
[email protected]_Coast

Okay I will give you an example that was a cunty thing I did. Sorry.

In the case of the Gap all there cloths are shipped to Vancouver from Asia. Not all the Gap clothes are made in Asia but lots are.They come into Vancouver and then get sent to Toronto, were they are then repackaged and then sent across the country to the different stores.

The reason stuff is shipped this way is because most of the head offices of Canada are in Toronto as well most of the manufacturing. Look on the pack of the next thousand canadian products you buy and most will say made in the Toronto Area ie one of Toronto's crapy towns near by.

I take economics at the University of Toronto and many of the courses I have taken were on trade. I can get out my books if you want me to, but keep in mind its the summer and school though great doesn't need to enter my thought right now.
Old August 8th, 2005, 07:01 AM   #167
addisonwesley

Likes (Received): 5

"I hope the city can get its act together on this one." - you should have told them when they started in the 1950s. Plus, it's not only Toronto that's sprawled - I would assume it's pretty much stopped since the city is already bound all all its sides.

"here did you get that information? That doesn't seem true at all." - why would manufacturers from asia ship their cargo all the way through the panama canal, up the eastern seaboard, down through the St. Lawrence seaway into lake Ontario, and to Toronto? It's, er- common sense, the west coast should be handling shipments from asia.
addisonwesley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 07:30 AM   #168
[email protected]_Coast

Quote:
"here did you get that information? That doesn't seem true at all." - why would manufacturers from asia ship their cargo all the way through the panama canal, up the eastern seaboard, down through the St. Lawrence seaway into lake Ontario, and to Toronto? It's, er- common sense, the west coast should be handling shipments from asia.
Goods are shipped into Vancouver's port and then are sent to Toronto. Then from Toronto the goods travel to the rest of the country where they are sold. What takes place in Toronto is many different things from product evaluation to repacking into proper packaging and sometimes short term storage. Similar things happen when stuff comes from Europe and the US. The point I am trying to make is that lot of what comes into Canada and is made in Canada must go threw the greater Toronto Area. Hence why they need the massive roads, much like in the case of chicago. I am sorry if I wasn't clear.
Old August 8th, 2005, 07:50 AM   #169
addisonwesley

Hmm, no, we're in agreement.
addisonwesley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 08:00 AM   #170
jer4893
JER_4893

Quote:
Originally Posted by addisonwesley
"I hope the city can get its act together on this one." - you should have told them when they started in the 1950s. Plus, it's not only Toronto that's sprawled - I would assume it's pretty much stopped since the city is already bound all all its sides.

The reason why i said that it didnt make sence was because East West said ALL good that come in to Vancouver are sent to Toronto and then back to wherever. Now do you think that makes sence? But since he explained, its understandable.
Old August 8th, 2005, 09:06 PM   #171
[email protected]_Coast

Quote:
The reason why i said that it didnt make sence was because East West said ALL good that come in to Vancouver are sent to Toronto and then back to wherever. Now do you think that makes sence? But since he explained, its understandable.
Good so I made sence.

addisonwesley
Quote:
Hmm, no, we're in agreement.
I am not sure what you mean, is this dirrected at me?
Old September 16th, 2005, 07:12 AM   #172
Batman Can

Likes (Received): 1

Mind Blowing Freeway Pic

401 Toronto

Batman Can no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 07:25 AM   #173
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

I really don't find what's so mind blowing about it.
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 07:27 AM   #174
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

The photo is actually taken in Mississauga immediately west of Toronto. If you see the area just below the upper-left-hand corner you'll see where the Air France plane skidded off the runway back in August.

This is probably considered "light" traffic. You should see what this highway is like during rush hour and/or during construction and/or an accident. Imagine 10 lanes in one direction all crawling at a snail's pace! You can see why it ranks as either #1 or #2 busiest highway in North America (competing neck and neck with LA's Santa Monica Freeway)!
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 08:42 AM   #175
Jaye101
Midtown Fella

But by the airport there is no collector/express... but wait? There are no high beams. meaning it is by the airport. I dont beleive the 401 crossed over the 427 as yet though, concluding that it is Toronto.
Old September 16th, 2005, 08:45 AM   #176
Hillis

It's Mississauga.
Hillis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 08:56 AM   #177
Kev the burninator
////////////////////

What's mind blowing is the amount of lanes(18) and i've heard that the 401 can look like one huge parking lot at times.... that would be crazy to see, not fun to be in.
Kev the burninator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 09:10 AM   #178
great prairie

maybe toronto should widen other freeways.....
great prairie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 10:27 AM   #179
Jaye101
Midtown Fella

^ What other freeways? hahaha The funny thing is that no other freeway runs in the same direction as the 401, and we only have two north-south freeways dvp-404, and 427.

"It's Mississauga."

I thought the picture was looking west not east.
Old September 16th, 2005, 02:31 PM   #180
James Foong

do u hv more mind-blowing pics of 401? That pic though mind blowing but still not enough to convince me.
James Foong no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto